Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Sir Harry Flashman
S4P
shazlx
lrdsucksgoats
L.r.d
fcb
10 posters

Scholes for England?

fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Scholes for England? Empty Scholes for England?

Post by fcb Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:21 am

From the BBC's gossip column:

Fabio Capello is considering a private plea for Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes to make an England return. (Various)

What do you think - will he be able to convince Scholes? And if he does, good idea or bad?
    L.r.d
    L.r.d

Number of posts : 5614
    Registration date : 2007-12-21

Scholes for England? Empty Re: Scholes for England?

Post by L.r.d Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:47 am

Scholes has said he thought about it long and hard but decided against coming back when Mclaren asked him, so what would have changed? Scholes is not going to come back, so its a bad idea. Plus Scholes will be what 34-35 in 2010 anyway.
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Number of posts : 9523
    Supports : Decentralisation of the state
    Favourite Player : The lesser spotted Ronaldo
    Registration date : 2007-02-25

Post by lrdsucksgoats Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:33 am

Won't happen. Scholes wouldn't come back for Sven, or McClaren, why would he for Capello?

Well, I suppose there's one reason - Capello hopefully isn't a chicken $h!t coward like Sven and McClaren and therefore would actually play Scholes in his rightful position instead of insulting by playing him wide left to accomodate the vastly inferior Lampard.

But no, won't happen. And after some of the Cr@p Scholes got after the last spell he had for England, why would he want it?
    shazlx
    shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
    Supports : Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
    Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:07 am

Huey wrote:Won't happen. Scholes wouldn't come back for Sven, or McClaren, why would he for Capello?

Well, I suppose there's one reason - Capello hopefully isn't a chicken $h!t coward like Sven and McClaren and therefore would actually play Scholes in his rightful position instead of insulting by playing him wide left to accomodate the vastly inferior Lampard.

But no, won't happen. And after some of the Cr@p Scholes got after the last spell he had for England, why would he want it?
    Fix his reputation- lie Becks. People keep going on about not scoring for three years and forget that he is a playmaker. He only needs 2 games and the Lampard vs Gerrard sitution will look stupid (not that it doesn't), considerig we had a better player all a long.
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:34 am

Imo, he never quite delivered his consistent best for England like he did for United, partly because all the major tournaments are played at the worst time of the year for him and also because the management post-Venables has been pretty clueless. I don't see what good bringing him back now would do and I don't think he would ever come back anyway.
    Sir Harry Flashman
    Sir Harry Flashman

Number of posts : 876
    Supports : Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Ronaldo (The Red Wiz), Beckham (The Legend), King Cantona, Robson (Captain Marvel)
    Registration date : 2007-02-21

Post by Sir Harry Flashman Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:14 pm

Scholes should NOT come back for England as they are an inferior team.

But, if he does then Lampard and Gerrard should NOT be in t'same team as Scholes! ok
    THEY have made t'team t'3rd class rubbish we now are!
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Parks lives Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:29 pm

He got really well with McLaren and said no to him, so I can't see him saying yes now, especially as he's two years older.
    shazlx
    shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
    Supports : Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
    Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:13 pm

Parks lives wrote:He got really well with McLaren and said no to him, so I can't see him saying yes now, especially as he's two years older.
    WC manger, better form and no/less Lampard/Gerrard hype. I hope he does return for even just a year so other players can lern from him.
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by COTR Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:23 pm

shazlx wrote:
    Parks lives wrote:He got really well with McLaren and said no to him, so I can't see him saying yes now, especially as he's two years older.
    WC manger, better form and no/less Lampard/Gerrard hype. I hope he does return for even just a year so other players can lern from him.
    scholes was also shite for England when he was playing so this is a redundant point

England have never played good football consistently both with and without scholes

It seems retiring is the best way to preserve an English footballers reputation so in that sense he has made totally the right decision
    Balls Grayson
    Balls Grayson

Number of posts : 1315
    Supports : Italy, Spain
    Registration date : 2007-02-25

Post by Balls Grayson Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:29 pm

if anyone needs to come out of retirement it's not Scholes, we should be persuading Alan Shearer and Peter Shilton to get their boots on.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:32 pm

L r d wrote:Scholes has said he thought about it long and hard but decided against coming back when Mclaren asked him, so what would have changed? Scholes is not going to come back, so its a bad idea. Plus Scholes will be what 34-35 in 2010 anyway.
    this is a crucial point - scholes game is not about physical attributes, but he's still accumulated a few injuries over the years and it's realistic to question if he'll still be playing at the top level in a few years. got to look for more long term answers than bringing him back
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:40 pm

COTR wrote:
    shazlx wrote:
    scholes was also shite for England when he was playing so this is a redundant point

England have never played good football consistently both with and without scholes

It seems retiring is the best way to preserve an English footballers reputation so in that sense he has made totally the right decision

Imo he made a smart move. His form for England wasn't as good as his form for United and he was just starting to receive some (unfair) criticism from the media and fans alike. He retired at the right time imo.

Think Capello should ask Carlton Palmer to come out of retirement though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:29 pm