Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+20
Pierre Littbarski
Dwarf
Tom
bluenine
A & K
Deluded F*ck™
blutgraetsche
L r dd
Historicus
Chris 23*
COTR
shazlx
Lesley
Isco Benny
Kimbo
Six
Ballboy Thomas Müller
Fey
Glenarch of the Glen
Kroos
24 posters

World Cup Debate: Can England Win The World Cup?

Poll

can they

[ 17 ]
    World Cup Debate: Can England Win The World Cup? - Page 3 Bar_left50%World Cup Debate: Can England Win The World Cup? - Page 3 Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 17 ]
    World Cup Debate: Can England Win The World Cup? - Page 3 Bar_left50%World Cup Debate: Can England Win The World Cup? - Page 3 Bar_right [50%] 

Total Votes: 34
    Lesley
    Lesley

Number of posts : 886
    Supports : Hamburger SV, Manchester United, Germany
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

World Cup Debate: Can England Win The World Cup? - Page 3 Empty Re: World Cup Debate: Can England Win The World Cup?

Post by Lesley Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:58 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:That's inevitable COTR. We always have to win in spite of Otto's kiss of death. Biggrin

More power to us! Laughing
    72-76-80-96-08
    72-76-80-96-08

Number of posts : 2258
    Supports : FC Hollywood
    Registration date : 2006-08-22

World Cup Debate: Can England Win The World Cup? - Page 3 Empty Re: World Cup Debate: Can England Win The World Cup?

Post by 72-76-80-96-08 Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:23 pm

Spider Crouch wrote:You would have thought our dear Otto would have resisted making any more predictions after a series of corkers over the last 4 years.

Torres was to be a flop at Liverpool

>>>>> in proportion to the money spent, Liverpool could have done FAR BETTER: just think of Santa Cruz >>>>

Germany were to be WC winners 2006

>>>>>>> NOBODY could have forseen the Klinsi-Löw effect; they ruined everything

still, I DID call for Klinsi to get the SACK after the FIASCO in Florence >>>

Rooney was to be washed up at the age of 21

>>>> he still does NOT score against DECENT opposition in the EPL or internationally ; 002 is to football what the White Concrete Post is to F1 ; utterly fails when the going gets TOUGH; decent when everybody is cruising >>>>>>

Podolski/Kuranyi/Klose/Gomes was to be the hottest striker in World Football

>>Gomez will go GLOBAL ; Kuranyi is one of the BEST HEADERS in the WOLRD ; Klose has OVERTAKEN RUmmenigge in the ALL-TIME Goal-scorer charts for Germany, I think, and Poldi has INSANE stats for Germany as well >>>

Roma were to knock out Manchester United at OT (they lost 7-1)

>> just teasing Whistle >>

Munich were to knock out Milan (they lost 4-0)

>>> cannot remember, you probably made that up >>

Hamilton was to be the new Button

>>> the Black Button is a laughing stock right now ; even in England, the fall from grace of the Tiger Woods of F1 is unprecendented and rightly so >>

Kaymer was to become the best golfer in Europe

>> the guy just won Continental Europe's biggest tournament, the Paris Open, followed by the Scottish Open, an achievement previously reached only by Woosnam AGES ago

Kaymer WILL become the world number ONE in due course >>>

and so on.

>> I was the first to spot the GENIUS of Vettel; the first to spot the GENIUS of Hülkenberg ; the FIRST to get excited about Özil; the first to tell you Gordon Brown would be a total flop, ditto Cameron , ditto Obama..........................

if you have ANY brains in your Hungarian skull, my good Bernd, you will have started BETTING on my predictions

you would be the Richard Branson of Hungary by now, think about it>>>>

The one prediction he DID get correct was South Africa to win the Rugby World Cup in 2007, but the moral of that story is that even the ugly guy will eventually get to buy a girl a drink so long as he asks enough times Ale Cool
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:56 am

blutgraetsche wrote:It's about peaking at the right time. Many teams have peaked at the wrong time and didn't win anything, despite looking like huge favourites prior to the tournament. Others were totally disappointing in the qualification and won the title.

That's why it's impossible to say how things will look like in a year.

Well, almost...

That's why I'm still resisting putting Spain as favourites. I'm already surprised that they've maintained their hot streak of form until now. Perhaps in that sense the defeat to the US in the Confed Cup was a good "come back down to earth" call for the team.

With all their top players at big clubs which will have tough seasons ahead, I can already see Spain burning out when the tournament comes around.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:46 am

kas wrote:
    blutgraetsche wrote:It's about peaking at the right time. Many teams have peaked at the wrong time and didn't win anything, despite looking like huge favourites prior to the tournament. Others were totally disappointing in the qualification and won the title.

That's why it's impossible to say how things will look like in a year.

Well, almost...

That's why I'm still resisting putting Spain as favourites. I'm already surprised that they've maintained their hot streak of form until now. Perhaps in that sense the defeat to the US in the Confed Cup was a good "come back down to earth" call for the team.

With all their top players at big clubs which will have tough seasons ahead, I can already see Spain burning out when the tournament comes around.

Unfortunately, this is the excuse Lippi seems to be using so far... the problem is that unless there is a change of personal and some creative players like Cassano and Foggia are inserted into the starting line up, I don't see Italy improving next summer.

I know it will never happen, but Italy could really benefit from a change of coach asap, with someone like Spalletti taking over. Spalletti always likes to use creative players in an attacking line up, and that could resolve some of Azzurri's issue right now.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:40 am

Özil wrote:
    MadVillain™️ wrote:If someone poisons both Brazil, Germany & Spain before the tournament, it's wide open.

ok

How many WC's have Germany won outside of Europe?
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:46 pm

None, but the same applies to all European teams.

The only European teams that actually managed to reach a WC final outside of Europe are Germany (twice, 1986 and 2002), Italy (twice, 1970 and 1994), Holland (once, 1978) and Czechoslovakia (once, 1962).
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:24 pm

72-76-80-96-08 wrote:
    Spider Crouch wrote:You would have thought our dear Otto would have resisted making any more predictions after a series of corkers over the last 4 years.

Torres was to be a flop at Liverpool

>>>>> in proportion to the money spent, Liverpool could have done FAR BETTER: just think of Santa Cruz >>>>

Germany were to be WC winners 2006

>>>>>>> NOBODY could have forseen the Klinsi-Löw effect; they ruined everything

still, I DID call for Klinsi to get the SACK after the FIASCO in Florence >>>

Rooney was to be washed up at the age of 21

>>>> he still does NOT score against DECENT opposition in the EPL or internationally ; 002 is to football what the White Concrete Post is to F1 ; utterly fails when the going gets TOUGH; decent when everybody is cruising >>>>>>

Podolski/Kuranyi/Klose/Gomes was to be the hottest striker in World Football

>>Gomez will go GLOBAL ; Kuranyi is one of the BEST HEADERS in the WOLRD ; Klose has OVERTAKEN RUmmenigge in the ALL-TIME Goal-scorer charts for Germany, I think, and Poldi has INSANE stats for Germany as well >>>

Roma were to knock out Manchester United at OT (they lost 7-1)

>> just teasing Whistle >>

Munich were to knock out Milan (they lost 4-0)

>>> cannot remember, you probably made that up >>

Hamilton was to be the new Button

>>> the Black Button is a laughing stock right now ; even in England, the fall from grace of the Tiger Woods of F1 is unprecendented and rightly so >>

Kaymer was to become the best golfer in Europe

>> the guy just won Continental Europe's biggest tournament, the Paris Open, followed by the Scottish Open, an achievement previously reached only by Woosnam AGES ago

Kaymer WILL become the world number ONE in due course >>>

and so on.

>> I was the first to spot the GENIUS of Vettel; the first to spot the GENIUS of Hülkenberg ; the FIRST to get excited about Özil; the first to tell you Gordon Brown would be a total flop, ditto Cameron , ditto Obama..........................

if you have ANY brains in your Hungarian skull, my good Bernd, you will have started BETTING on my predictions

you would be the Richard Branson of Hungary by now, think about it>>>>

The one prediction he DID get correct was South Africa to win the Rugby World Cup in 2007, but the moral of that story is that even the ugly guy will eventually get to buy a girl a drink so long as he asks enough times Ale Cool

Dearest Otto,

'fraid not.

See your post predicting Bayern to be playing Man United in the Semi Final, prior to going out to Milan in the quarters

http://europeanboard.ephpbb.com/european-cups-f5/bayern-vs-manu-t8655.htm

Whistle

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:23 pm