Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
Khadrim
Murray
Jaime
Fey
Isco Benny
Axeslammer
Fade out
Brian2468
Allez les rouges
bluenine
debaser
BoBo Vieri 32
gone
Antarion
Tweesus
Kroos
20 posters

your world cup 11, but only games/players you have live seen

Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

your world cup 11, but only games/players you have live seen - Page 2 Empty Re: your world cup 11, but only games/players you have live seen

Post by Isco Benny Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:48 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
    Tweesus wrote:I was mrely stating, if you're asking though...

Buffon. Was he really that great?

Surely bluey would have seen Prudhomme's performances for Belgium in 90,94? or Chilavert, or Kahn, or Barthez? god knows, any keeper?

Anyway, you can argue either way for a whole variety of players.

What is perhaps undeniable is that Baresi, Zidane, Maradonna and Ronaldo should be in any squad from 86 onwards

Yes Buffon was that great. The others are good shouts, but you have to pick one in the end.

I don't think Zidane is an automatic choice for everyone.

Pleas enlighten us. Because Preud'homme in 1994, Barthez in 1998 and Kahn in 2002 were all better than Buffon in 2006.

(wannabe) Italians and their Buffon love in

Rolling Eyes
    Fade out
    Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
    Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

your world cup 11, but only games/players you have live seen - Page 2 Empty Re: your world cup 11, but only games/players you have live seen

Post by Fade out Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:53 pm

As a winger, CR is hopeless. As a goal-scoring faux-winger, he is alright. But then, I'd not need such a player with Pele, Maradona, and Muller Fenomeno. Maradona could create and score, he is the best in the hole and take out Muller. Playing him behind Pele would be a dream. I'd have Cruyff in my team. I would put Zidane on left cutting-in, he could create and score. Zidane, Cruyff and Maradona behind Pele and Fenomeno, doesn't get better than that. I'd take out Maldini, and bring in Baresi. Lizarazu, the little c**t was magical. Zoff should be there, just for his record. Record never lies.

----------------------Zoff---------------------

--Cafu-----Beckenbauer---Baresi-----Lizarazu

-------------------Matthäus

Cruyff-----------Maradona--------------Zidane

------------Pele----------Fenomeno
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Fey Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:58 pm

-----------------Kahn----
    Jeremies--Kohler---Matthäus--Brehme

Hassler---Moller----Sammer----Effenberg
    ----------Voller---------------Jancker

affraid

Okay, perhaps not the best. But the fact that I can field an all time German c**ts team at the WC in the 25 years I have been on this planet, does suprise me a lot. Perhaps im getting old, perhaps Germany does have a lot of c**ts. Who knows.

<Ale>
    Fade out
    Fade out

Post by Fade out Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:00 pm

Fey wrote:-----------------Kahn----

affraid

Okay, perhaps not the best. But the fact that I can field an all time German c**ts team at the WC in the 25 years I have been on this planet, does suprise me a lot. Perhaps im getting old, perhaps Germany does have a lot of c**ts. Who knows.

<Ale>

your world cup 11, but only games/players you have live seen - Page 2 Cunt-punt-soccer-demotivational-poster
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:34 pm

Spider Crouch wrote:
    BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:

Surely bluey would have seen Prudhomme's performances for Belgium in 90,94? or Chilavert, or Kahn, or Barthez? god knows, any keeper?

What is perhaps undeniable is that Baresi, Zidane, Maradonna and Ronaldo should be in any squad from 86 onwards

Yes Buffon was that great. The others are good shouts, but you have to pick one in the end.

Pleas enlighten us. Because Preud'homme in 1994, Barthez in 1998 and Kahn in 2002 were all better than Buffon in 2006.

Rolling Eyes

And both Goycochea and Zenga in 1990.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:44 pm

Anyway, here is mine since 1990:

---------------------Goycochea

Cafu------Cannavaro------Baresi------R. Carlos

-------Prosinecki-----Matthaus-----Zidane

-------R. Baggio-----Ronaldo------Rivaldo
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:02 pm

Spider Crouch wrote:
    BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

I didn't watch 1994.

Kahn made a horrible mistake in the final of 2002. Barthez was very solid in 1998, i don't think there's any evidence to say he was clearly better than Buffon was in 2006. Buffon pulled off some game changing saves in KO stages.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:17 pm

Jaime wrote:
    Spider Crouch wrote:
    BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:

your world cup 11, but only games/players you have live seen - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

I am, first & foremost an Inter fan... But there is no way Zenga in 1990 was better than Buffon in 2006, unless perhaps if you are talking from Madonna's perspective your world cup 11, but only games/players you have live seen - Page 2 Icon_razz

To some extent, Italy crashed out of WC1990 coz of an Zenga error (and a moment of brilliance from Caniggia)... Buffon did not put a foot wrong in 2006, infact he did not conceed from open play (apart from a Zaccardo own goal). Zenga arguably had a better defence in front of him, and was hardly called into action. Buffon had no such luck, IMO he was Italy's best player of the tournament. If Cannavaro had not been the skipper, I am sure Buffon would ve won that award.

Sure, you can argue between Buffon or Preud'homme etc... its depends on which performances made the biggest impact on ya... but for me, Buffon 2006 was the best I have seen in a world cup.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:25 pm

bluenine wrote:
    Jaime wrote:
    Spider Crouch wrote:
    BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:

your world cup 11, but only games/players you have live seen - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

I am, first & foremost an Inter fan... But there is no way Zenga in 1990 was better than Buffon in 2006, unless perhaps if you are talking from Madonna's perspective Razz

To some extent, Italy crashed out of WC1990 coz of an Zenga error (and a moment of brilliance from Caniggia)... Buffon did not put a foot wrong in 2006, infact he did not conceed from open play (apart from a Zaccardo own goal). Zenga arguably had a better defence in front of him, and was hardly called into action. Buffon had no such luck, IMO he was Italy's best player of the tournament. If Cannavaro had not been the skipper, I am sure Buffon would ve won that award.

Yeah of course there was the Caniggia goal he made a mistake but you can't put Italy going out soley to that goal. And besides, he was perfect before that and was superb against Ireland in the quarters made a lot of key saves in that one. Hard to say which defence was better, maybe the 90 just slightly. Anyhow, I was just bringing up two other excellent goalkeeping performances in WCs.

Also - I think Taffarel is a bit underrated.
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10247

Post by Murray Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:31 pm

--------------Buffon

Cafu---Baresi-----Gentile-----Maldini

-------------Matthaus

Zico---Socrates---Maradona---Eder

-------------Ronaldo

Last edited by Murray on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:12 am

affraid

<Ale>

You've got cancer.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:19 am

debaser wrote:

affraid

<Ale>

You've got cancer.

The sight of that team would make anybody sick Ale
    Antarion
    Antarion

Number of posts : 3382
    Supports : Germany, Bayern
    Favourite Player : Müller, Neuer and Schürrle
    Registration date : 2008-04-11

Post by Antarion Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:03 am

1994 onwards:

Kahn(2002)
    Cafu (2002) Cannavaro (2006) Desailly (1998) Maldini (1994)
    Zidane (1998) Pirlo(2006) Ballack (2002)
    Ronaldo (2002)
    R.Baggio (1994) Romario (1994)

Honorable mentions:
    Rivaldo, Thuram, Buffon, Klose, Suker, Riquelme
    and probably one or two Holland players from 94/98 I forgot about
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10247

Post by Murray Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:59 pm

Axeslammer wrote:I'll just take the entire 1982 Brazil team, thank you very much cheers

Even that donkey Serginho?
    Khadrim
    Khadrim

Number of posts : 1719
    Supports : Fulham soft spot for Liverpool, Newcastle, Wolfsburg, Rubin Kazan
    Favourite Player : Paintsil, Barry, Iniesta, Ozil
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by Khadrim Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:00 pm

1990 onwards:

Kahn(2002)
    Cafu (2002) Ayala(2006) Desailly (1998) Maldini (1994)
    Dunga (1994) Ballack (2002)
    Maradona (1990) Hagi (1994)
    Suker (1998) Klinnsmann (1994)

Other players that were fascinating to watch:
    Chilavert (1998), Arellano(2002), Cuevas (2002), Crespo(2006), Riquelme(2006), Hasan Sas(2002), Okocha (1998), Stojkovic (1990)

I'm tempted to replace Maradona with Stojkovis who was amazing in 1990

Post by Guest Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:57 pm

-----------Buffon-06

--Cafu(02)---Ayala(06)----Desailly(98)---Lizarazu(98)

---Rivaldo(02)-----Pirlo(06)--Ballack(02)---Zidane(98)

----------------Suker(98)-----Ronaldo(02)

Subs

Kahn,Thuram,Carlos,Cana,Dinho,Klose

Last edited by Messiah on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Fade out
    Fade out

Post by Fade out Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:49 am

Messiah wrote:Buffon-04

cheers

Post by Guest Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Fenomeno wrote:
    Messiah wrote:Buffon-04

cheers

wasn't he great at the euro''s your world cup 11, but only games/players you have live seen - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:22 pm

Murray wrote:
    Axeslammer wrote:I'll just take the entire 1982 Brazil team, thank you very much cheers

Even that donkey Serginho?

Yup ok

(because if I would start to think about individual players, I would end up with 9 attack minded players and 8-9 Dutchies out of the 11 Wink)
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:53 am

Axeslammer wrote:
    debaser wrote:

affraid

<Ale>

You've got cancer.

The sight of that team would make anybody sick Ale

Shouldn't it be schumacher in goal? That was just plain assault what he did to that frenchie.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
    Supports : Corinthians

Post by mongrel hawk Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:20 am

--------------------------Buffon------------------------------

Cafu-----------Baresi--------Cannavaro--------Carlos

------------------------Mauro Silva------------------------

-------------Zidane-------------------Maradona-----------

-----------------Ronaldo---------Romário-----------------

special mentions: Matthäus, Klinsmann, Platini, Rivaldo, Dunga, Aldair, Careca, Burruchaga, Batistuta, Gamarra, Valderrama, Hagi, Roger Milla, Bergkamp, Stojkovic
    Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1899

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:33 am

I don't think that Zidane was that great at WCs. I would choose Rivaldo over him.

1998 WC
    Group stage: Sent off after stamping on a poor arabian. Got suspended for two matches.
    Round of 16: didn't create much. Saved by Blanc Golden Goal.
    Quarters: Boring nil-nil against Italy.
    Semis: Saved by Thuram's miracle.
    Final: Two goals from Cks. Credit to him.

2002 WC
    Injured. Almost didn't play. France got knocked out in the groups stage.

2006 WC
    ZZ did very well in the KO stages, but in the Quarter Final, Semi-Final and Final he was decisive only on dead ball situations. His performance against Brazil in the quaarters was one of the best I've ever seen at a WC. He humilliated us.

---------------Buffon

Cafu (98) - Aldair (94) - Cannavaro (06) - Lizarazu (98)

Dunga (94) - Pirlo (06) - Ballack (02) - Rivaldo (02)

Romário (94) - Ronaldo (02)

Honorable mentions to Taffarel, Baggio (shit in the groups stage, brilliant in the knockout stages at the 94 WC), Thuram, Deisally, Ballack, Stoichkov, Maldini, Dino Baggio, Mauro Silva, Zidane, Hagi, the list is endless.
    A & K

Number of posts : 3347
    Registration date : 2006-08-12

Post by A & K Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:00 pm

You are right about Zidane, he only did superbly well against Brazil and had a few other great games like against Spain (2006) otherwise he was rather discret or someone else stepped up like Thuram.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 9:18 pm