Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+25
Freddie Or Not
DD
The Easter Bunny
Super Progress
Hardrada
christmasborocooper
Fey
Kimbo
blutgraetsche
Machiavel
robert
Deluded F*ck™
Axeslammer
toon h
Mistletoe.
Sgoater1
d gorgeous one haz spoken
theflyingfrenchman
Murray
Football Genius
Parks lives
DeLux
TM
Deano
Tweesus
29 posters

Corruption expose will 'rock football' - BBC

Forza It

Corruption expose will 'rock football' - BBC Empty Corruption expose will 'rock football' - BBC

Post by Forza It Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:51 pm

From soccernet:

Corruption expose will 'rock football' - BBC

Managers, agents and clubs will be concerned viewers when Panorama's investigation into football corruption is televised on Tuesday night.

Titled 'Undercover: Football's Dirty Secrets', the programme seeks to expose the game's alleged bung culture.

It is based around filmed conversations between agents and undercover journalists posing as representatives of a new agency called Dynamic Soccer.

Harry Redknapp is one manager who has been filmed by the investigation team, although the Portsmouth boss has strenuously denied any wrongdoing.

Tensions over the programme's possible revelations mounted last week when reports surfaced that Middlesbrough were one of the clubs implicated.

Boro moved quickly to issue a statement denying they were a club named by investigators and the BBC backed up their claim by confirming they were not involved.

The strength of the evidence accumulated by Panorama is largely unknown but football will be braced for an expose that could do heavy damage to the game's image.

The BBC believe they have uncovered some damning testimony that will 'rock football'.

'A record of around £300million was spent on players in the Premiership this summer alone,' reads their promotional text for the programme.

'For the first time an undercover team, which infiltrated the murky world of football for a year, will reveal the extraordinary depth of dishonesty, flagrant rule breaking and outright corruption in the nation's favourite and wealthiest sport.

'On the eve of the official Lord Stevens inquiry report into skulduggery in the beautiful game, this secret camera investigation - naming top agents, clubs and managers who are cheating their supporters - delivers evidence he won't have but which will rock football.'

Former Metropolitan police commissioner Lord Stevens, who has been asked by the Premier League to conduct the official inquiry into bungs, is due to reveal his findings on October 2.

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore insists the top flight's governing body will be ready to punish any parties found guilty of corruption.

'What we've always said is we'll go where the evidence leads us. I, at this stage, do not know what will be in the Lord Stevens inquiry,' he said.
    Forza It

Corruption expose will 'rock football' - BBC Empty Re: Corruption expose will 'rock football' - BBC

Post by Forza It Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:57 pm

Thoughts...how serious do you all think this could be?
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Corruption expose will 'rock football' - BBC Empty Re: Corruption expose will 'rock football' - BBC

Post by Tweesus Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:58 pm

It can only be good for the game, corruption really makes me angry and if there is any of it in the game it should be cessated at all costs, regardless of the clubs involved.
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Deano Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:58 pm

not sure....cant see it ending up like serie A to be honest
    TM
    TM

Number of posts : 21218
    Supports : PROGRESS!
    Favourite Player : Luis Figo
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:59 pm

Harry Redders has been pleading his innoncence already also when will this be shown on tv?
    Forza It

Post by Forza It Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:00 pm

Target Man wrote:Harry Redders has been pleading his innoncence already also when will this be shown on tv?

tomorrow...evening.

@deano

Probably not as bad as Serie A but it will be interesting to see if the FA do anything...if clubs are routinely breaking the rules...I can see a transfer embargo placed on them for 2-3 seasons.
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:01 pm

Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:
    Target Man wrote:Harry Redders has been pleading his innoncence already also when will this be shown on tv?

tomorrow...evening.

@deano

Probably not as bad as Serie A but it will be interesting to see if the FA do anything...if clubs are routinely breaking the rules...I can see a transfer embargo placed on them for 2-3 seasons.

if clubs have broken the rules....sanctions have to be taken. But it will be interesting too see which clubs and what has exactly gone on....if chelsea were invlved in corruption could you see sanctions against them....i have doubt
    TM
    TM

Post by TM Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:05 pm

I doubt Chelsea are involved, other wise it would have been all over the papers.
    DeLux
    DeLux

Number of posts : 4399
    Supports : Celta Vigo
    Favourite Player : Mostovoi, Xavi, David Silva, Valerón, Raúl
    Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by DeLux Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:06 pm

Bungs?? Never. George Graham is the only person in the history of football to have taken a bung.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:06 pm

Kevin Bond, the Newcastle assistant is involved for what he did whilst at Pompey with Harry Redknapp.
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:07 pm

Target Man wrote:I doubt Chelsea are involved, other wise it would have been all over the papers.

i know...i just used them as an example of a club i dont think the FA would punish very much....they would get a slap on the wrist compared to someone like portsmouth who'd get a kick in the bollocks.
    TM
    TM

Post by TM Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:09 pm

italian_hammer(DEANO!) wrote:
    Target Man wrote:I doubt Chelsea are involved, other wise it would have been all over the papers.

i know...i just used them as an example of a club i dont think the FA would punish very much....they would get a slap on the wrist compared to someone like portsmouth who'd get a kick in the bollocks.

Obviously you can imagine the uproar if Chelsea were docked points or something serious whilst Pompey who arent a big club, would be able to be docked etc.
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:11 pm

Target Man wrote:

Obviously you can imagine the uproar if Chelsea were docked points or something serious whilst Pompey who arent a big club, would be able to be docked etc.

exactly...i was actually surprised the FIGC kept to their guns by punishing juve...but good on them and i just hope our FA would be strong enough too...but i have big doubt
    Saintsar

Post by Saintsar Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:11 pm

Prior Panorama Documentary

If that link doesn't work try the one on this page
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/5070224.stm

If the revelations in tomorrow's show are anything like the ones in the previous one then we're in for some fun.
    Forza It

Post by Forza It Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:29 pm

Target Man wrote:

but if big AND small clubs are involved I could see the bigger ones getting punished.

I am very curious to see where this will lead...the bung culture has been huge in England's top division for quite some time.

Like I said...if there is evidence of bungs...then there should be an embargo placed on the offending clubs.
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743
    Supports : Liverpool

Post by Football Genius Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:36 pm

Im fairly positive that there will be aboslutely no punishment in relation to this report,

If there was a concrete case, then it would have to be handed on to the relevant authorities rather than media paraded on the television, any media cannot be seen to be affecting either a criminal or civil court case otherwise the jury are replaced, so how on earth could you have an impartial set of jurors/judges if the evidence is being aired on national television BEFORE any action has been taken? And if action was taken by the FA, then the clubs could go to the C.O.A and have this thrown out for just those reasons.

Cheers BBC you may very well of fucked it up, perhaps giving the evidence over to the relevant authorities would have been the first option Doh
    Forza It

Post by Forza It Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:41 pm

Football Genius wrote:Im fairly positive that there will be aboslutely no punishment in relation to this report,

If there was a concrete case, then it would have to be handed on to the relevant authorities rather than media paraded on the television, any media cannot be seen to be affecting either a criminal or civil court case otherwise the jury are replaced, so how on earth could you have an impartial set of jurors/judges if the evidence is being aired on national television BEFORE any action has been taken? And if action was taken by the FA, then the clubs could go to the C.O.A and have this thrown out for just those reasons.

Cheers BBC you may very well of fucked it up, perhaps giving the evidence over to the relevant authorities would have been the first option Doh

There is also a separate inquiry underway.

Furthermore, the wiretaps in Italy were all over the news when they surfaced...

It remains to be seen if the clubs have done much wrong and, if so, whether the FA has a spine.
    Luis

Post by Luis Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:43 pm

what exactly has happened? or do they think has happened? cant be bothered reading into it
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Post by Football Genius Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:21 pm

Football Genius wrote:Im fairly positive that there will be aboslutely no punishment in relation to this report,

It remains to be seen if the clubs have done much wrong and, if so, whether the FA has a spine.

Italian and English legal system are very different. So thats not an accurate precedent to compare the situation too.
    Forza It

Post by Forza It Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:39 pm

Football Genius wrote:

Italian and English legal system are very different. So thats not an accurate precedent to compare the situation too.

What about the inquiry being conducted, the results of which will surface on October 2?
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Post by Football Genius Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:53 pm

What about the Lord Hutton inquiry ? that did jack shit

Inquiry is just a gathering of fact or evidence, thats only a small part of compounding a case, it cannot be media run therefore this panorama release really could jepodise future preceedings, you know all the newspapers will also jump on the bandwagon, very difficult to seperate fact from opinion for the masses when there is so many so called reputable sources.

If the inquiry was before the panorama release then things could be much easier, now the PR monster which is the english media is going to explode.
    Forza It

Post by Forza It Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:56 pm

Football Genius wrote:What about the Lord Hutton inquiry ? that did jack shit

Inquiry is just a gathering of fact or evidence, thats only a small part of compounding a case, it cannot be media run therefore this panorama release really could jepodise future preceedings, you know all the newspapers will also jump on the bandwagon, very difficult to seperate fact from opinion for the masses when there is so many so called reputable sources.

If the inquiry was before the panorama release then things could be much easier, now the PR monster which is the english media is going to explode.

Hmm...the inquiry has not been released yet. It will be released on October 2. Hopefully the bung culture, which has been a part of English football for a while, will be tackled.

Either way the image of the league is at risk. If evidence comes up and nothing is done then the FA will be viewed as being servile.

If something is done I can see severe punishments. Let's wait and see.
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10247

Post by Murray Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:01 pm

The programme will be a damp squib. Stuff like this always is. The beeb are just hyping it up to get more viewers.
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Post by Football Genius Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:03 pm

I dont believe the image of the league (The Premiership) is neccessarily at most risk, the FA will be seen to have no control as a governing body, and yes that could create a knee jerk reaction to huge penalties, but we must firstly wait and see what Panorama have, it may only be circumstantial rather than incriminating behaviour.

It will be very diffcult for anyone to come out and admit to taking or offering bungs as it will tarnish their reputation, so finding evidence will be very difficult.
    theflyingfrenchman
    theflyingfrenchman

Number of posts : 4290
    Supports : BWFC, France, Rennes, Auxerre, Lorient
    Favourite Player : Diouf, Anelka, Diagne-Faye, Henry, Toulalan
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Post by theflyingfrenchman Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:08 pm

It's just a load of bollocks.

Number of posts : 585
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by d gorgeous one haz spoken Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:11 pm

theflyingfrenchman wrote:It's just a load of bollocks.

yeps.

it will probably go down like the arsenal - beveren saga.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City

Post by Sgoater1 Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:42 pm

I just hope City arnt involved and loads of other teams are and they all get lots of minus points and we end up winning the league - well i can dream cant i .
    theflyingfrenchman
    theflyingfrenchman

Number of posts : 4290
    Supports : BWFC, France, Rennes, Auxerre, Lorient
    Favourite Player : Diouf, Anelka, Diagne-Faye, Henry, Toulalan
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Post by theflyingfrenchman Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:46 pm

Sgoater1 wrote:I just hope City arnt involved and loads of other teams are and they all get lots of minus points and we end up winning the league - well i can dream cant i .

But then it gets found out that you bribed the comission and you get kicked out of the league.
    L r d

Post by L r d Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:47 am

This isnt like italy. the bbc tried to create something, then say look they done this.
    Really it is just a bunch of people saying yeah he takes bungs he did this, no proof of anything.

Also hardly like match fixing, i dont care if people take bungs to bring in or get rid of players honestly so what
    Forza It

Post by Forza It Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:07 am

l r d wrote:This isnt like italy. the bbc tried to create something, then say look they done this.
    Really it is just a bunch of people saying yeah he takes bungs he did this, no proof of anything.

Also hardly like match fixing, i dont care if people take bungs to bring in or get rid of players honestly so what

Well it will be interesting to see what the show has to say and the inquiry that will be concluded on October 2.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:07 pm