Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+28
Isco Benny
Effenberg
Juligen
shazlx
Di Caniooooo!
Luis
TM
Rosicky
TheCrazy58
christmasborocooper
Kimbo
Pierre Littbarski
Jaime
BoBo Vieri 32
messiah
Brian 2468
DD
Kroos
Formerly known as sheva7
blutgraetsche
bluenine
Antarion
Super Progress
debaser
Axeslammer
110%
Fey
Murray
32 posters

2014 World Cup Semi Finals

Poll

Who will win the World Cup?

[ 2 ]
    2014 World Cup Semi Finals Bar_left14%2014 World Cup Semi Finals Bar_right [14%] 
    [ 7 ]
    2014 World Cup Semi Finals Bar_left50%2014 World Cup Semi Finals Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 4 ]
    2014 World Cup Semi Finals Bar_left29%2014 World Cup Semi Finals Bar_right [29%] 
    [ 1 ]
    2014 World Cup Semi Finals Bar_left7%2014 World Cup Semi Finals Bar_right [7%] 

Total Votes: 14
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10245
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

2014 World Cup Semi Finals Empty 2014 World Cup Semi Finals

Post by Murray Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:17 am

8-7-2014 Belo Verticale

2014 World Cup Semi Finals -m-01352___42x22 Brazil vs Germany 2014 World Cup Semi Finals Png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAACoAAAAWBAMAAABEVRO+AAAAD1BMVEUAAACjBxDaCha+miP+zS85OuxxAAAAHUlEQVQYV2NgGLRASAkTKA5iURMXTOBMZ1FjbAAAHtU7CjKaJEAAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

9-7-2014 Sao Paulo

2014 World Cup Semi Finals -m-02bh_v__42x22 Argentina vs Netherlands 2014 World Cup Semi Finals -m-02ltg3__42x22
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

2014 World Cup Semi Finals Empty Re: 2014 World Cup Semi Finals

Post by Fey Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:32 am

In the end, bar Holland, not many suprises, I doubt anyone didnt have Brazil, Germany, Argientina in their office sweepstake. It's just like the CL ffs. Only more competative mind. Have we ever had such strong fixtures as WC semifinal?

3th semi-final for holland in their 4 last WC's Very Happy Their record on South American soil is getting ridiculous now!

Argentina finally made it to semi in my lifetime as well, usually Germany gets them and Holland gets BRazil..

Should be good! And good 3th place play-off as well, if they still have that.
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:03 am

<Ale> 

I admit I did have all 3 except holland in my office prediction competition. Someone in my office prediction did pick 7 out of the 8 quarter finalists correctly. He only got spain wrong  lol!  And he got them going all the way, so while he is way out in front at the moment he won't win overall unless Holland win I think. No-one put Holland to win, so everyone would lose out on those points.

Personally I don't like the dead rubber 3rd placed game, and hardly ever watch it, but if it is Brazil-Argentina it could be interesting just to see how dirty it can get. I bet messi would be ruled out "with an injury" before the game.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:48 am

Fey wrote:
    Should be good! And good 3th place play-off as well, if they still have that.

It should be abolished immediately : it's an abomination !!!

Even if it would turn out to be Holland - Germany, our team wouldn't turn up (rightly so) and I wouldn't watch.

debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:57 am

I think final will be a Germany-Argentina re-run of 1990.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:33 am

Why the hostility against the third place game? Even if it is an excuse for another game at the WC I still want it.
    Antarion
    Antarion

Number of posts : 3382
    Supports : Germany, Bayern
    Favourite Player : Müller, Neuer and Schürrle
    Registration date : 2008-04-11

Post by Antarion Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:41 am

Super Progress wrote:Why the hostility against the third place game? Even if it is an excuse for another game at the WC I still want it.

I guess small nations like Costa Rica, Switzerland, Greece or Holland would like to play another game for 3rd place, but for favourites like brazil its a dissapointment to play for the golden banana.

As a fan, more football = good.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:47 am

Antarion wrote:
    Super Progress wrote:Why the hostility against the third place game? Even if it is an excuse for another game at the WC I still want it.

I guess small nations like Costa Rica, Switzerland, Greece or Holland would like to play another game for 3rd place, but for favourites like brazil its a dissapointment to play for the golden banana.

Exactly

Even if the intensity can vary in these games it is still more football. Contrary to popular belief I have enjoyed this WC quite a bit. But I doubt it will be seen as the best of all time.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:49 am

Antarion wrote:

Lol, says the German who *celebrated* 3rd place !

Holland is just like Haarhuis-Eltingh : they threw the match for bronze at the olympics out of disgust for not reaching the final ok
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:08 pm

I am glad its Europe vs SA in both semi finals. The contrast in style and skills makes the game so much more interesting. Hope the final is a mix too, don't want teams from the same continent reaching the final, even though the rivalry will be intense.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:12 pm

I don't think we can lose in terms of final set up

Brazil vs Argentina is the El Classico of international football and while it won't be a great footballing game it will be intense and one of the ages

Brazil vs Holland is a classic but again they will probably stifle each other

Germany vs Argentina is a classic and well set up since Germany will take charge while Argentina will play along too albeit more on the counter

Germany vs Holland is another classic and is the best fit style wise. A pro-active team against a very progressive team

Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:23 pm

Holland win vs Argentina and Germany would make sweet revenge for the lost WC finals, considering the beat Spain already.

Though, losing against the host would als put things back to normal again. Or the Germans, to celebrate the 40-year anniversary of hurt.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:37 am

Why has Holland never hosted a World Cup? Too small?
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:43 am

The Mexican referee who didn't punish Suarez' bite while harshly sending off Marchisio in the crucial Italy - Uruguay group match is going to be the ref of the Brazil - Germany match.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brazil miraculously succeed with their appeal for the Thiago Silva booking, too.

Nothing to add, speaks for itself.
    Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1899

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:55 am

blutgraetsche wrote:The Mexican referee who didn't punish Suarez' bite while harshly sending off Marchisio in the crucial Italy - Uruguay group match is going to be the ref of the Brazil - Germany match.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brazil miraculously succeed with their appeal for the Thiago Silva booking, too.

Nothing to add, speaks for itself.

Are you trolling?

That ridiculous appeal has no chance of being successful.

That referee is strict and that's good for Germany and bad for Brazil. He didn't sent him off because he clearly didn't see the bite.

Jesus, even you germans are complaining without any reason now. Sad really.
    Kroos
    Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
    Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
    Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:27 am

agree, this ref is a blessing in disguise for germany

some awesome facts of how weak brazil is:

Fouls GER: 57 BRA: 96

cards: 4 vs 10

goals 10 vs 10, we need 1,5 less chances to score

we are facking runners, we ran 9 km more, we played 1100 more passes, with 10 % better passing success

brazil always makes a bright start, with high tempo, after 54 min they decline, in comparison germany gets even stronger after 62 min

also the passing quality after 54 for the brasil reaches a low point, they also start to foul at this time

playing at 22:00 it an advantage for us, we can play a high tempo for 90 min, while the brasilians decline earlier, well but you can surely also say it`s positive for brazil, because it`s not that hot
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:17 am

Super Progress wrote:Why has Holland never hosted a World Cup? Too small?

They had a joint bid (with belgium) for 2018 but they didn't pay the bribes.

Also maybe they were too stingy, they'd want to go Dutch on everything with FIFA.
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:27 am

Super Progress wrote:
    Antarion wrote:

Exactly

Even if the intensity can vary in these games it is still more football. Contrary to popular belief I have enjoyed this WC quite a bit. But I doubt it will be seen as the best of all time.

It's like watching an international friendly. No real point to it, maybe let your fringe players get a run out, don't want anyone getting injured etc. That's why a brazil-argentina game might actually be interesting, because they might take it seriously.

In addition it is just a chance for players to get hurt for a game that has no meaning, when they should just go home and rest in preparation for the new season. I've played in tournaments where there was not only a game for 3rd place, they'd have games to determine who was 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th (the losers of the quarter-finals played each other). If you want more football would you be in favour of that?

If you really want to watch more football I think various league such as the Swedish are playing at the moment. There isn't a need to have this pointless 3rd place game.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:34 am

Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:
    Are you trolling?

That ridiculous appeal has no chance of being successful.

That referee is strict and that's good for Germany and bad for Brazil. He didn't sent him off because he clearly didn't see the bite.

Jesus, even you germans are complaining without any reason now. Sad really.

Under normal circumstances the appeal has no chance, true, but these are no normal circumstances I'm afraid.

Fact of the matter is that the Mexican ref was not exactly convincing in the group stages, to put it mildly, yet is appointed for such an important match again. That just stinks, no matter how you look at it. Plus, I'm not sure how this can be interpreted as an advantage for Germany? Uruguay are at least as physical as Italy, yet it was Italy who were punished in that match.

Whatever, we'll see how things will work out in the end.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:47 am

Kroos wrote:

we are facking runners, we ran 9 km more, we played 1100 more passes, with 10 % better passing success

brazil always makes a bright start, with high tempo, after 54 min they decline, in comparison germany gets even stronger after 62 min

also the passing quality after 54 for the brasil reaches a low point, they also start to foul at this time

playing at 22:00 it an advantage for us, we can play a high tempo for 90 min, while the brasilians decline earlier, well but you can surely also say it`s positive for brazil, because it`s not that hot

Brazil aren't weak, they are a mess tactically and lack creativity, but they compensate that with willpower and aggression. Stats are meaningless, especially if you consider the fact that they built the team around Neymar who is going to miss the match against us. This means that the team playing against us is going to be quite different. They will run more, foul more, have even more "steel" in midfield, while being less predictable, too. Containing "one man teams" is far easier and nobody is as good at that as us.

I think that the match will be tougher for us without Neymar. I expect Oscar to shine in the #10 role he'll likely play now and the facking runners like Willian to cause us some problems on the wings. I also don't think that having Dante playing against us instead of Silva is a disadvanatage, as he knows half of our team inside out, playing for the same club.
    Antarion
    Antarion

Post by Antarion Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:50 am

In fact, Brazil are the hardest opponent left imo. Home advantage is a real thing. Its a real 50-50 game and I hope Brazil doesn't score first...

Still, I feel no pressure. Could hardly have better semi final games for this World Cup.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:02 am

Can you believe it? Holland have to leave their hotel if they progress to the final, because FiFA and sponsors "need it".

http://www.sport1.de/de/fussball/wm/newspage_918329.html

You just can't make this up.
    Kroos
    Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
    Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
    Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:24 am

blutgraetsche wrote:
    Kroos wrote:

Brazil aren't weak, they are a mess tactically and lack creativity, but they compensate that with willpower and aggression. Stats are meaningless, especially if you consider the fact that they built the team around Neymar who is going to miss the match against us. This means that the team playing against us is going to be quite different. They will run more, foul more, have even more "steel" in midfield, while being less predictable, too. Containing "one man teams" is far easier and nobody is as good at that as us.

I think that the match will be tougher for us without Neymar. I expect Oscar to shine in the #10 role he'll likely play now and the facking runners like Willian to cause us some problems on the wings. I also don't think that having Dante playing against us instead of Silva is a disadvanatage, as he knows half of our team inside out, playing for the same club.

your points sound logical

but in the end players like ramires, willian, oscar nothing special, and in terms of willingness and penetration we are on par with brasil, after so many semi finals we have a desire like bayern 2013

in such games to play without  players who played every game for them since 2 years , no thats a weak point, also silva will be a huge loss

we missed frings in 2006, i still think that we would have won that game with him, he was one of our top performers in this tournament

small details will decide this game, but in the end mostly the side with more quality wins

Last edited by Kroos on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:28 am

blutgraetsche wrote:Can you believe it? Holland have to leave their hotel if they progress to the final, because FiFA and sponsors "need it".

It's all part of FIFA's fucked up rules. They get the best hotels for free for their VIPs. Unfortunately the players are not considered to be VIPs to them.

I hear the the Germans built their own resort in Brazil? Not sure what happens to it after the world cup is over, but turned out to be a good idea.
    Antarion
    Antarion

Post by Antarion Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:34 am

110% wrote:
    blutgraetsche wrote:Can you believe it? Holland have to leave their hotel if they progress to the final, because FiFA and sponsors "need it".

It's all part of FIFA's fucked up rules. They get the best hotels for free for their VIPs. Unfortunately the players are not considered to be VIPs to them.

I hear the the Germans built their own resort in Brazil? Not sure what happens to it after the world cup is over, but turned out to be a good idea.

It will be an official luxus resort, mainly for weddings and other events. According to BILD newspaper, you can get a room for 2500€ a day.
    It was a good move imo. Very quiet and nice.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:38 am

Yes, it's (kinda) true - Campo Bahia will be some kind of luxury resort after the WC, it wasn't exclusively built for the German national team by some German company, but of course the publicity etc. helped.

Maybe they expected this kind of nonsense, knowing FiFA.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:08 am

A man described, somewhat oddly, as a "black magic enthusiast" - Helio Sillman - has said he has cursed Germany ahead of their semi-final with Brazil. He says he has chosen an "undisclosed German player" to cast his spell on and promises to "take their top player and bind his legs so he can't run on the pitch". According to the report:

Sillman carries out a ritual before each Selecao game. Using a a small football pitch-shaped box as his alter, he puts inside lit candles in the colours of the opposing team and the voodoo doll of their most important player.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/07/world-cup-2014-day-26-live

Laughing
    DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC

Post by DD Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:08 am

110% wrote:

We were one of the favourites, but it went to Russia (Qatar was also announced that same day if I remember correctly  Laughing ).

When it got public what the FIFA 'requirements' were, a big opposition did start (with one week to go before the announcement). They wanted many things, but basically: an ungodly amount of money, all kinds of tax exempts, complete control over many aspects of the WC, deciding all sponsors, all profits to FIFA, wanted certain laws to change in their favour etc.

It wasn't even as if our economy was booming in 2010-2012 or whenever it was announced. Netherlands would have had to invest billions with no return.

I dont mind if it never gets here if those are the terms. Throwing billions down the drain only to line the pockets of Blatter & co.
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:19 am

DD wrote:
    110% wrote:

We were one of the favourites, but it went to Russia (Qatar was also announced that same day if I remember correctly  Laughing ).

When it got public what the FIFA 'requirements' were, a big opposition did start (with one week to go before the announcement). They wanted many things, but basically: an ungodly amount of money, all kinds of tax exempts, complete control over many aspects of the WC, deciding all sponsors, all profits to FIFA, wanted certain laws to change in their favour etc.

It wasn't even as if our economy was booming in 2010-2012 or whenever it was announced. Netherlands would have had to invest billions with no return.

I dont mind if it never gets here if those are the terms. Throwing billions down the drain only to line the pockets of Blatter & co.

I think you are right and fully agree with not hosting the world cup. I would just vote for my neighbours to host it (if they are stupid enough to bid) so that I could enjoy it without the massive expense.
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:22 am

blutgraetsche wrote:

A man described, somewhat oddly, as a "black magic enthusiast" - Helio Sillman - has said he has cursed Germany ahead of their semi-final with Brazil. He says he has chosen an "undisclosed German player" to cast his spell on and promises to "take their top player and bind his legs so he can't run on the pitch". According to the report:

Sillman carries out a ritual before each Selecao game. Using a a small football pitch-shaped box as his alter, he puts inside lit candles in the colours of the opposing team and the voodoo doll of their most important player.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/07/world-cup-2014-day-26-live

Laughing

Let's hope it's not Ozil or we won't be able to tell if the curse works or not

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:50 am