Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+28
Isco Benny
Effenberg
Juligen
shazlx
Di Caniooooo!
Luis
TM
Rosicky
TheCrazy58
christmasborocooper
Kimbo
Pierre Littbarski
Jaime
BoBo Vieri 32
messiah
Brian 2468
DD
Kroos
Formerly known as sheva7
blutgraetsche
bluenine
Antarion
Super Progress
debaser
Axeslammer
110%
Fey
Murray
32 posters

2014 World Cup Semi Finals

Poll

Who will win the World Cup?

[ 2 ]
    2014 World Cup Semi Finals - Page 2 Bar_left14%2014 World Cup Semi Finals - Page 2 Bar_right [14%] 
    [ 7 ]
    2014 World Cup Semi Finals - Page 2 Bar_left50%2014 World Cup Semi Finals - Page 2 Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 4 ]
    2014 World Cup Semi Finals - Page 2 Bar_left29%2014 World Cup Semi Finals - Page 2 Bar_right [29%] 
    [ 1 ]
    2014 World Cup Semi Finals - Page 2 Bar_left7%2014 World Cup Semi Finals - Page 2 Bar_right [7%] 

Total Votes: 14
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

2014 World Cup Semi Finals - Page 2 Empty Re: 2014 World Cup Semi Finals

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:11 pm

Di Maria definitely missing the semis. Big blow for Argentina, as he has been one of their best if not the best player.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:14 pm

110% wrote:
    blutgraetsche wrote:

A man described, somewhat oddly, as a "black magic enthusiast" - Helio Sillman - has said he has cursed Germany ahead of their semi-final with Brazil. He says he has chosen an "undisclosed German player" to cast his spell on and promises to "take their top player and bind his legs so he can't run on the pitch". According to the report:

Sillman carries out a ritual before each Selecao game. Using a a small football pitch-shaped box as his alter, he puts inside lit candles in the colours of the opposing team and the voodoo doll of their most important player.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/07/world-cup-2014-day-26-live

Laughing

Let's hope it's not Ozil or we won't be able to tell if the curse works or not

Laughing

Özil has gotten a lot of flak, particularly in Germany. But he wasn't as bad as he has been made. However, definitely not as good as he should be either. Same applies to Götze.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Super Progress Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:27 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Can you believe it? Holland have to leave their hotel if they progress to the final, because FiFA and sponsors "need it".

http://www.sport1.de/de/fussball/wm/newspage_918329.html

You just can't make this up.
     lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol! 

They don't even give a shit about how bad it looks. Biggrin 

I don't get why there has been so little pressure on FIFA to change. You would think that the European FA's would have the power to change it if they wanted too. Given that Europe hosts most WC's it would be in their interest to change these rules.

110% wrote:
    DD wrote:
    110% wrote:
    Super Progress wrote:Why has Holland never hosted a World Cup? Too small?

They had a joint bid (with belgium) for 2018 but they didn't pay the bribes.
    We were one of the favourites, but it went to Russia (Qatar was also announced that same day if I remember correctly  Laughing ).

When it got public what the FIFA 'requirements' were, a big opposition did start (with one week to go before the announcement). They wanted many things, but basically: an ungodly amount of money, all kinds of tax exempts, complete control over many aspects of the WC, deciding all sponsors, all profits to FIFA, wanted certain laws to change in their favour etc.

It wasn't even as if our economy was booming in 2010-2012 or whenever it was announced. Netherlands would have had to invest billions with no return.

I dont mind if it never gets here if those are the terms. Throwing billions down the drain only to line the pockets of Blatter & co.

I think you are right and fully agree with not hosting the world cup. I would just vote for my neighbours to host it (if they are stupid enough to bid) so that I could enjoy it without the massive expense.
    Seems like a good solution. Should have taken advantage when Germany held it in 2006.

Sweden 2026 WC  cheers 
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:40 pm

110% wrote:
    blutgraetsche wrote:

A man described, somewhat oddly, as a "black magic enthusiast" - Helio Sillman - has said he has cursed Germany ahead of their semi-final with Brazil. He says he has chosen an "undisclosed German player" to cast his spell on and promises to "take their top player and bind his legs so he can't run on the pitch". According to the report:

Sillman carries out a ritual before each Selecao game. Using a a small football pitch-shaped box as his alter, he puts inside lit candles in the colours of the opposing team and the voodoo doll of their most important player.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/07/world-cup-2014-day-26-live

Laughing

Let's hope it's not Ozil or we won't be able to tell if the curse works or not

He has targeted Müller, as BILD predictably explains...

2014 World Cup Semi Finals - Page 2 2,w=993,c=0.bild

http://www.bild.de/bild-plus/sport/fussball/wm-2014/ich-habe-mueller-verhext-36702528,view=conversionToLogin.bild.html
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:43 pm

The view from Brazil – as they prepare to face Germany in the semi-final

Neymar’s tournament-ending injury dominates the national mood, which is also starting to show a darker side

Brazil is counting down towards the semi-final with Germany in a mood of anxiety, dismay and – just occasionally – hope despite the loss of the nation’s much-loved match-winner, Neymar.

The misfortune of the tournament-ending injury to the Barcelona forward continues to overshadow the triumph of Brazil’s quarter-final victory over Colombia and the growing prospect of a final against arch-rivals Argentina.

Newspaper front pages have been dominated by images of Neymar being stretchered on to a helicopter. TV channels have run repeat after repeat of his emotional, red-eyed video address to the nation. Even president Dilma Rousseff has penned a florid open letter to the playmaker describing him as a great warrior whose injury “broke my heart and the heart of every Brazilian”.

Her claim may be no exaggeration given the sorrow expressed by fans, commentators and team-mates after confirmation that the national side will have to manage without their biggest star against the toughest opponents to date.

The human aspect and high football stakes have brought out the best and worst of the World Cup hosts: as well as the heartfelt sympathy and love for a fallen hero, there has been hateful, racist abuse towards Juan Zúñiga, the Colombian player who was responsible for the injury. Brazilians have issued death threats to Zúñiga on social networks and described the black player as a “criminal monkey”.

Very few commentators have been brave enough to challenge the prevailing sense of injustice. Among them was André Forastieri, who opined that Brazil have little cause to complain given the win-at-any-cost mentality of the coach Luiz Felipe Scolari, whose players have gone down more often and committed more fouls than almost any other in this World Cup.

“There is a certain sadistic pleasure in the fact that Brazil will face the remainder of the Cup without Neymar,” he wrote on his blog. “He was anointed the face of our football, the poster child for Brazilianness, a symbol of our skill, swagger and emotion. Well, if our team depended on a single player, we were always walking towards defeat.”.

But this is not the only problem facing Brazil. With the captain Thiago Silva also suspended, Brazil will have to take on Germany without two of the tournament’s most influential players.

Looking forward, the nation is now speculating on how Felipão (as Scolari is better known here) will adjust the squad. Pundits – the best of whom are treated in this football-obsessed society with the reverence other nations bestow on philosophers – have lined up to share their views.

Juca Kfouri, who is probably the most respected football columnist in the country, says he will not be surprised if Brazil has a more attacking lineup against Germany, despite Scolari’s reputation for caution. He expects Oscar to take the central role of Neymar, and hopes the more offensively minded and creative talents of Bernard and Willian will be introduced alongside him.

Xico Sa, a social commentator and football writer, believes the squad – which has been criticised for emotional fragility – will now be stronger and more determined to win on behalf of their fallen team-mate. The loss of Silva, he says, should not be overstated because the defender David Luiz had already become de facto captain after Silva was too nervous to take a penalty in the shootout against Chile.

Tostão, a key member of the Brazil team that won the World Cup in 1970, also remained optimistic. “After the initial earthquake, I still believe there is a good chance for Brazil to win the World Cup even without Neymar and to beat Germany without our other key player Thiago Silva.”

But the challenge of doing that was graphically represented by Folha de São Paulo newspaper, which devoted an entire page to an image of a spinal column with each vertebra named after a player in the national team. With Neymar fractured and Silva out, the implication is that this is a team that requires emergency surgery if they are to avoid being crippled against Germany.

As usual, the Meia Hora tabloid has the most humorously absurd take on the calamity facing the national team. Noting that the midfielder Willian has also been complaining of back pains, it says the team now need a superhero to emerge. Step forward, the most ordinary player in the squad – the striker Fred, who is depicted on the front page in a Superman outfit roaring his team on to victory in their hour of need.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jul/07/neymar-brazil-germany-world-cup
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:56 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Di Maria definitely missing the semis. Big blow for Argentina, as he has been one of their best if not the best player.

ah come on. Maybe it's too obvious to praise Messi, but he is the sole reason they have got this far & is their best player by a long distance. they will miss Di Maria but it's not a fatal blow - if Messi was missing they'd be completely fucked.
    Brian 2468

Number of posts : 1054
    Registration date : 2011-08-08

Post by Brian 2468 Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:44 pm

Di Maria supplied the highest quality machine like energy on the wings to completely keep the opposition   weary of his outside presence. A water carrier of the highest degree that is always under valued.

He in part is a cog that will not be replaced easily without changing up the sides balance.

Messi is there magician fact he needs Di Maria more than any other supporting cast of players to make it happen.

Last edited by Brian 2468 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:49 pm

The highest compliment that I can pay Angel di Maria : he's the Argentinian Dirk Kuyt ok
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:00 pm

debaser wrote:
    blutgraetsche wrote:Di Maria definitely missing the semis. Big blow for Argentina, as he has been one of their best if not the best player.

ah come on. Maybe it's too obvious to praise Messi, but he is the sole reason they have got this far & is their best player by a long distance. they will miss Di Maria but it's not a fatal blow - if Messi was missing they'd be completely fucked.

I'm the last guy not to praise Messi, he is the best player in the world in my eyes no matter what the CR7 fanboys say. But I honestly believe that Di Maria's contributions in this WC have been just as important. The main difference to the other Argentinian players is that he isn't just skilled and technical, but a hard worker, too, very energetic with a strong winning mentality. Argentina don't have anyone else like him, hence they will miss him.
    Antarion
    Antarion

Number of posts : 3382
    Supports : Germany, Bayern
    Favourite Player : Müller, Neuer and Schürrle
    Registration date : 2008-04-11

Post by Antarion Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:02 pm

CR7 wins the beauty contest though. (out of these 3)  Biggrin 
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:04 pm

Super Progress wrote:
    110% wrote:
    DD wrote:
    110% wrote:

We were one of the favourites, but it went to Russia (Qatar was also announced that same day if I remember correctly  Laughing ).

When it got public what the FIFA 'requirements' were, a big opposition did start (with one week to go before the announcement). They wanted many things, but basically: an ungodly amount of money, all kinds of tax exempts, complete control over many aspects of the WC, deciding all sponsors, all profits to FIFA, wanted certain laws to change in their favour etc.

It wasn't even as if our economy was booming in 2010-2012 or whenever it was announced. Netherlands would have had to invest billions with no return.

I dont mind if it never gets here if those are the terms. Throwing billions down the drain only to line the pockets of Blatter & co.

I think you are right and fully agree with not hosting the world cup. I would just vote for my neighbours to host it (if they are stupid enough to bid) so that I could enjoy it without the massive expense.
    Seems like a good solution. Should have taken advantage when Germany held it in 2006.

Sweden 2026 WC   cheers 

I did go to Germany in 2006 as I lived in Italy at the time  cheers Drove to Munich, stayed in tent, enjoyed the fan fests, freaking cheap holiday all things considered.

Sweden are not allowed in 2026 so maybe 2030. Russia isn't that far from you and I recommend St. Petersburg for any that haven't been. I hope that they can do some sort of deal with their visas though because that is a pain in the arse.

messiah
    messiah

Number of posts : 3084
    Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:14 pm

they will miss DI maria like a Mother you know what, he offers things that now one esle in the team offers

but he is in no form shape are way their best player or even close to in. he is though their second most important player
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:23 pm

Agree that Di Maria is a big miss. The likely replacement is Perez who is distinctly average, or Maxi Rodriguez who is too old.

Argentina used to have great depth in midfield. Players like Aimar and Gallardo couldn't get on the team. Now they have to rely on the likes of Gago or Biglia.
    Brian 2468

Number of posts : 1054
    Registration date : 2011-08-08

Post by Brian 2468 Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:25 pm

I have to say coming from a biased England fan, would not of wanted the semi finals match up to be any different. We are in for a show of entertainment that really could not of ended up better than what have coming to us.
    If the teams do not respond the way we'd like to see them play it will be an interesting finale, the expected hot temperatures and hot passions from this South American World Cup have delivered. <Ale>
    messiah
    messiah

Number of posts : 3084
    Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:47 pm

Kun has been declare fit to play in the semi's. that being said I don't think he should replace di maria in the starting XI, in would be suicide.

Its should be one of Perez.Augusto fernandez or maxi, all can come close to matching Di maria's industry on the pitch, with Perez the closest, but the latter two offer more creativity that perez.

I'd go with perez, because what di maria has really been bring to the team is primarily is work rate, he has huffed and puffed offensively, but the creative spark hadn't really arrive.

bring Kun on if they are trailing and need a goal or if they are ahead and watch to push back holland in the final 15 minutes.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:53 pm

Antarion wrote:CR7 wins the beauty contest though. (out of these 3)  Biggrin 

2014 World Cup Semi Finals - Page 2 266800

2014 World Cup Semi Finals - Page 2 Count1
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:41 pm

Di Maria has been Argentina's most consistent player but Messi has been their best and most decisive though. Both are needed because Argentina doesn't really seem to have any fixed way to play. It will be too easy to close down Messi as Switzerland did and without worrying that another player will take advantage. Question is if Holland can close him as well given their players but Van Gaal has relied on sheer numbers and pressing so far to protect the defence.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Jaime Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:43 pm

Super Progress wrote:Why the hostility against the third place game? Even if it is an excuse for another game at the WC I still want it.

Yeah I agree and there have been some pretty decent matches down the years.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:20 pm

After Bayern Munich now Feyenoord has the most players in the WC atm!

What are the odds of a Bayern Munich-Feyenoord CL final?
    Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1899

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:29 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:
    Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:
    Are you trolling?

That ridiculous appeal has no chance of being successful.

That referee is strict and that's good for Germany and bad for Brazil. He didn't sent him off because he clearly didn't see the bite.

Jesus, even you germans are complaining without any reason now. Sad really.

Under normal circumstances the appeal has no chance, true, but these are no normal circumstances I'm afraid.

Fact of the matter is that the Mexican ref was not exactly convincing in the group stages, to put it mildly, yet is appointed for such an important match again. That just stinks, no matter how you look at it. Plus, I'm not sure how this can be interpreted as an advantage for Germany? Uruguay are at least as physical as Italy, yet it was Italy who were punished in that match.

Whatever, we'll see how things will work out in the end.  

The result of the match is unpredictable, but two things are for sure: Germany will have more possession and Brazil will make more fouls, so obviously a stricter referee is better for Germany than for Brazil.

I didn't see the match between Italy vs Uruguay because I was at England vs Costa Rica, but the straight red card for Marchisio looked harsh, which just proves my point that FIFA is sending a message that from now on referees will not be as lenient as they were in the earlier stages.

DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC

Post by DD Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:00 pm

2014 World Cup Semi Finals - Page 2 10394510_871843892830006_6088314416507974471_n
    Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:06 pm

Last year Olimpia came here to Belo Horizonte to play the second leg of Copa Libertadores final. They stayed in the same hotel that Germany is staying now. Their fans didn't let our players sleep in the night before the first leg and a week later they tasted their own medicine. Smile

It would be great to see these fans supporting Brazil tomorrow. The atmosphere would be amazing. Unfortunatelly the crowd will be shit again.

No. No fireworks tonight. Germans are nice. Smile
    Fey
    Fey

Post by Fey Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:07 pm

110% wrote:

Also maybe they were too stingy, they'd want to go Dutch on everything with FIFA.

Holland can be a candidate combined with Belgium.

Also, I doubt any nation can rival our infrastructure, Public transport, roads, airports etc.

The stadiums are nice in Brazil, but the infrastructure is what counts, and what is really expensive. And in brazil it's below par.

Though, a WC would cost the taxpayer a lot of money, and if there is something we like more then football, it's money.

And considering you need a lot of bribes these days, its no suprise nations like Russia and Quatar get it. Perhaps its better this ways considering the FIFA demands, no western nation should agree to such rules.
    Fey
    Fey

Post by Fey Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:18 pm

Team Kuipers got send home by the FIFA, despite being the best ref...

Holland at the last 4 is the excuse.

Yet, Brazilian ref Ricci is still able to get a game..

Ahh FIFA..
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:39 pm

We could host the WC every four years without breaking a sweat. You just know it makes most sense - stadia, infrastructure, fans, tradition and location, easy to reach from almost everywhere.

No fan of the "two hosts" thing, but Holland (and Belgium) would definitely deserve to host a WC for their contributions to this sport alone. German FA should support their bid, if they want to.
    Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:18 pm

Semifinal vs Germany tickets are cheaper than Round of 16 vs Chile tickets in the black market. It says a lot about the Neymar effect.
    Fey
    Fey

Post by Fey Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:35 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:We could host the WC every four years without breaking a sweat. You just know it makes most sense - stadia, infrastructure, fans, tradition and location, easy to reach from almost everywhere.

No fan of the "two hosts" thing, but Holland (and Belgium) would definitely deserve to host a WC for their contributions to this sport alone. German FA should support their bid, if they want to.
    Germany already hosted it twice, more then enough.

I thought 2006 was below par, it was more a feast of looking to a German identity and the world helps the Germans with looking.

Mexico and Brazil also hosted it twice now...Holland 0.

Now, we are stingy as hell, so I doubt it will ever happen. England/Britain deserve another one as well.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:24 pm

It was an awesome WC and you know it.

I don't mind others hosting it as long as there is some football tradition, acceptable infrastructure and the country won't go bankrupt as a consequence. Plus, most importantly, the host understanding what being a host is all about.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:13 am

Fey wrote:
    blutgraetsche wrote:We could host the WC every four years without breaking a sweat. You just know it makes most sense - stadia, infrastructure, fans, tradition and location, easy to reach from almost everywhere.

I thought 2006 was below par, it was more a feast of looking to a German identity and the world helps the Germans with looking.

Now, we are stingy as hell, so I doubt it will ever happen. England/Britain deserve another one as well.
    That has to happen. I think it would be great. Imagine the hype  drunken 
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10245

Post by Murray Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:00 am

Super Progress wrote:
    Fey wrote:

That has to happen. I think it would be great. Imagine the hype  drunken 

No, England might win it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:19 am