Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
Crouching Tiger
abundance
The Easter Bunny
Pras_tama
GR
Hlebagone
Deluded F*ck™
christmasborocooper
Murray
Puro
Kimbo
The Chosen Glenn
Isco Benny
COTR
Jaime
Fey
Luis
21 posters

Liverpool FC 2015/2016

GR
    GR

Number of posts : 655
    Supports : Liverpool FC
    Favourite Player : Momo Sissoko, King Kenny, Robbie Fowler, Ian Rush, Daniel Agger, Xabi Alonso, Zidane
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Liverpool FC 2015/2016 - Page 3 Empty Re: Liverpool FC 2015/2016

Post by GR Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:36 am

Sacking Rodgers won't solve all of our problems.

We have an even bigger problem. i.e. Owners & management who have no understanding of our game.

For all the things they're doing right (i.e. stadium, willingness to spend money) are being cancelled out by horror show that is the transfer committee, and all the money wasted on mediocre and potential talent.

I've said it before and i was mocked for it but the whole setup stinks of trial and error, including the hiring of Brendan Rodgers.

Do they really expect us to win the league and compete with the likes of City and Chelsea by hiring an apprentice who has no experience at this level and experimenting with youngsters?

Either they are incredibly naive or this is really a very long term project which will take at least 10 years and we won't start to see the benefits until the end of the stadium expansion etc, in which case we should just blindly support the manager and Rodgers and forget about being competitive until such time. i.e. like wenger and arsenal

Post by Guest Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:10 pm

GR wrote:Sacking Rodgers won't solve all of our problems.  

We have an even bigger problem.  i.e. Owners & management who have no understanding of our game.

For all the things they're doing right (i.e. stadium, willingness to spend money)  are being cancelled out by horror show that is the transfer committee, and all the money wasted on mediocre and potential talent.

I've said it before and i was mocked for it but the whole setup stinks of trial and error, including the hiring of Brendan Rodgers.  

Do they really expect us to win the league and compete with the likes of City and Chelsea by hiring an apprentice who has no experience at this level and experimenting with youngsters?

Either they are incredibly naive or this is really a very long term project which will take at least 10 years and we won't start to see the benefits until the end of the stadium expansion etc, in which case we should just blindly support the manager and Rodgers and forget about being competitive until such time.  i.e.  like wenger and arsenal

You are acting like we are getting a brand new stadium. How many extra seats will Anfield have after the expansion? About 8 thousand?

This season I expect us to do well in Europe, Rodgers has totally failed in that regard so far, if we don't at least make it to the QF of the Europa League after all the money we have spent then I want him sacked. f**k the league, we are guaranteed to finish either 5th or 6th. I would rather have European glory in the EL than finish 4th and then get knocked out in next season's CL Group Stage.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:43 pm

We will do even worse in the Europa League I imagine. We'll pick more average players and you have to have a fairly solid defence to progress in these tournaments.

Once Coutinho, Henderson, Benteke and Sturridge are all in the same team then we should be winning our games vs lesser clubs. I don't think we'll ever do well against the big teams though - Rodgers has no idea how to set up in them and seems unwilling to learn.
    GR
    GR

Favourite Player : Momo Sissoko, King Kenny, Robbie Fowler, Ian Rush, Daniel Agger, Xabi Alonso, Zidane

Post by GR Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:27 pm

worms; wrote:
    You are acting like we are getting a brand new stadium. How many extra seats will Anfield have after the expansion? About 8 thousand?  

I don't disagree with you here.

I was just trying to understand FSG's vision for the club and some of the decisions they've taken in their time here.

I like to think they want us challenging the likes of Chelsea and Man City EVENTUALLY, yet their approach is just baffling  - its beyond belief.  

worms; wrote:
    This season I expect us to do well in Europe, Rodgers has totally failed in that regard so far, if we don't at least make it to the QF of the Europa League after all the money we have spent then I want him sacked. f**k the league, we are guaranteed to finish either 5th or 6th. I would rather have European glory in the EL than finish 4th and then get knocked out in next season's CL Group Stage.

I agree that we should really have a go at the Europa league.  That could be our only realistic chance of Champions League football.

Having said that, Rodgers, like most British managers, will probably prioritise the domestic cups.
    Luis
    Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:23 pm

The approach seems to be trial and error and most of it has been errors.

You can sign a lot of young players and reap the rewards in about 5 years time but you have to buy quality, experienced players as well to help them along.

United bought a lot of young, unproven players in the last 5 years of Ferguson's reign; Nani, Anderson, Bebe, Smalling, Januzaj, Kleberson but they were able to do that because they always had a Tevez, Berbatov or Larsson as well.

Every so often one of those young gambles turns into a star like Ronaldo or Suarez but when you haven't got the quality in the team already you can't be buying Markovic, Origi, Illori, Moreno for big money and hoping it all just comes off.

We have absolutely no idea what we're doing at the minute. We have no one to build a team around. Milner seems to be Rodgers' idea of replacing Gerrard for the short term despite him having no way near the same attacking quality and I'm doubtful of his leadership skills. Can and Henderson have a long way to go still so you need someone with class and experience to sit in that midfield and dictate play. Lucas looks a mess and it's no surprise when Rodgers clearly wanted rid of him a few weeks ago.

We planned for Sturridge being injured by bringing in Benteke who I think will be a very good signing. But where was the planning for Sterling leaving? Our wide options aren't good enough. Ibe should have been sent on loan to a premier league club, Markovic should have been given another chance and we should also have brought in another good quality wide player to give us some threat and pace.

Without Coutinho in the side we have absolutely nothing going forward from deep. Firmino is struggling.
    GR
    GR

Post by GR Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:41 pm

Luis wrote:The approach seems to be trial and error and most of it has been errors.

You can sign a lot of young players and reap the rewards in about 5 years time but you have to buy quality, experienced players as well to help them along.

United bought a lot of young, unproven players in the last 5 years of Ferguson's reign; Nani, Anderson, Bebe, Smalling, Januzaj, Kleberson but they were able to do that because they always had a Tevez, Berbatov or Larsson as well.

Every so often one of those young gambles turns into a star like Ronaldo or Suarez but when you haven't got the quality in the team already you can't be buying Markovic, Origi, Illori, Moreno for big money and hoping it all just comes off.

We have absolutely no idea what we're doing at the minute. We have no one to build a team around. Milner seems to be Rodgers' idea of replacing Gerrard for the short term despite him having no way near the same attacking quality and I'm doubtful of his leadership skills. Can and Henderson have a long way to go still so you need someone with class and experience to sit in that midfield and dictate play. Lucas looks a mess and it's no surprise when Rodgers clearly wanted rid of him a few weeks ago.

We planned for Sturridge being injured by bringing in Benteke who I think will be a very good signing. But where was the planning for Sterling leaving? Our wide options aren't good enough. Ibe should have been sent on loan to a premier league club, Markovic should have been given another chance and we should also have brought in another good quality wide player to give us some threat and pace.

Without Coutinho in the side we have absolutely nothing going forward from deep. Firmino is struggling.

ok
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by COTR Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:58 am

Will Rodgers even make it to Christmas ?

Nothing that is happening is a surprise. i feel a bit sorry for the owners as they placed their trust in the wrong man and it has cost them a fortune. Rodgers' use of this money has been staggeringly incompetent, he doesn't ever deserve another top job.
    GR
    GR

Post by GR Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:59 am

COTR wrote:Will Rodgers even make it to Christmas ?

Nothing that is happening is a surprise. i feel a bit sorry for the owners as they placed their trust in the wrong man and it has cost them a fortune. Rodgers' use of this money has been staggeringly incompetent, he doesn't ever deserve another top job.

I agree with you except for the bit about feeling sorry for the owners.

They are fully culpable for appointing someone with zero experience at managing a big club.  Hell, their other candidate for the job was Roberto Martinez FFS - a guy who got Wigan relegated that year & i said it at the time. If I was a shareholder I would have sued them for serious professional incompetence.

I cannot for the life of me understand their choice of candidates at the time and still don't.  It was glaringly obvious who the right man was for the job at the time. Ironically he is now managing one of the biggest clubs in the world. He was available and was the less risky option to take and guaranteed to bring success with the right backing. They didn't even think he was worth an interview.

So no, if anything I feel sorry for Rodgers. He has tried his best under the circumstances but the job is just too big for him and I didn't expect anything different to be honest.

I expect him to last until at least Christmas but wouldnt surprise me if he lasts the season. All depends how far we are from 4th/5th come Xmas.
    Pras_tama
    Pras_tama

Number of posts : 2101
    Supports : Manchester United & Indonesia NT
    Favourite Player : Scholes
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

Post by Pras_tama Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:19 pm

GR wrote:
    COTR wrote:Will Rodgers even make it to Christmas ?

I agree with you except for the bit about feeling sorry for the owners.

They are fully culpable for appointing someone with zero experience at managing a big club.  Hell, their other candidate for the job was Roberto Martinez FFS - a guy who got Wigan relegated that year & i said it at the time. If I was a shareholder I would have sued them for serious professional incompetence.

I cannot for the life of me understand their choice of candidates at the time and still don't.  It was glaringly obvious who the right man was for the job at the time. Ironically he is now managing one of the biggest clubs in the world. He was available and was the less risky option to take and guaranteed to bring success with the right backing. They didn't even think he was worth an interview.

So no, if anything I feel sorry for Rodgers. He has tried his best under the circumstances but the job is just too big for him and I didn't expect anything different to be honest.

I expect him to last until at least Christmas but wouldnt surprise me if he lasts the season. All depends how far we are from 4th/5th come Xmas.
    Who is it?
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:11 pm

Thing is, if the owners believed Rodgers was still the right man after that 6-1 defeat at Stoke then it's going to take something really catastrophic for him to be axed this season. I assume the owners have an ambition of us finishing 5th or 6th most seasons and hope that every now and again we may make the top 4. As shit as we are, I'm still fairly confident we will finish 5th. Once Sturridge, Coutinho and Henderson return, together with Benteke, that's still much better than what Spurs and Everton can muster up IMO. The likes of Leicester and Swansea will fade eventually.

If the owners want to get serious about challenging for trophies then they probably should sack Rodgers and hire someone like Ancelotti or Rafa. Buying a few top quality players without selling our best player every season might help as well.

Post by Guest Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:54 pm

Ancelotti would never come here. Klopp said he doesn't want to manage an elite team. He would be my choice.
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:19 pm

Didn't Dortmund go to shit under Klopp though for a bit? I don't really follow other leagues any more.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:34 pm

Luis wrote:Didn't Dortmund go to shit under Klopp though for a bit? I don't really follow other leagues any more.

Klopp won 2 Bundesliga titles against Bayern Munich and reached a CL Final whilst having a negative spend. He also took the tactical revelation Gegenpressing to a whole new level. True Dortmund did poor in his last season but that was after selling two of their best players and having several players constantly inured throughout the season. Overall he did an amazing job at Dortmund and I would be confident he could do something similar at Liverpool.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:24 pm

You forget that Klopp also had an amazing group of young players come through together, plus Weidenfeller.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:56 pm

Deluded F*ck™ wrote:You forget that Klopp also had an amazing group of young players come through together, plus Weidenfeller.

But he made them gel together and get better. He also implemented a tactical system that made them unstoppable in the Bundesliga, despite having worse players than Bayern Munich.
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:56 pm

Some fairly reputable sources claiming Rodgers will be sacked next week regardless of our result this weekend in the Derby.

Klopp being touted as the front runner with de Boer also named.

Not sure how true any of this is but if we do get rid of Rodgers then we have to bring in Ancelotti. Proven winner.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:24 pm

Luis wrote:Some fairly reputable sources claiming Rodgers will be sacked next week regardless of our result this weekend in the Derby.

Klopp being touted as the front runner with de Boer also named.

Not sure how true any of this is but if we do get rid of Rodgers then we have to bring in Ancelotti. Proven winner.

But he is only a proven winner with top players and a big budget. Also his league record isn't great considering the teams he has managed.

Klopp on the other hand....
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:17 pm

Klopp would be a great move, but I think he will wait for Chelsea or Bayern.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:41 pm

Didn't Klopp say that he doesn't want to manage an elite team? Instead he wants more of a challenge.
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:43 pm

There's no greater challenge than getting Liverpool back to the top.

I don't want Klopp.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:12 pm

Do you even know who he is?
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:41 pm

Not proven enough and had a shocker in his last season at Dortmund.

We need an Ancelotti or Benitez - someone who has won trophies over a sustained period of time.

I don't want another 5 years of 'rebuilding'.
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by The Easter Bunny Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:02 am

Saw a rumour on Twitter that Klopp and his assistant will be joining Liverpool. The source was the local media (Bosnian I believe) from his assistants home town. Sometimes these are spot on, other times it can be simply the media trying to push a few extra sales/PR.

Klopp is an interesting choice, I feel he would reinvigorate the Liverpool side on a psychological level. He did incredibly well at Dortmund, and even brought down the juggernauts that is Bayern Munich a few times. However, Liverpool recently have been dreadful in the transfer market. This is an area where Klopp is actually quite untested, I know the media in Britain have been making a big deal about him stating he doesn't want to have a transfer committee, but at Dortmund, it was quite well known that Zoric used to deal with all the transfers while Klopp merely stated what area he needed a player in and what characteristics he wanted. So if hired, Klopp has no track record with a big budget, and could be equally squanderous.

Apart from Klopp I'm not sure of many "big names" are available, Viola's coach Sousa is doing very well this season and could be worth watching. While I am also a massive fan of Conte, but he might consider the Liverpool job a step down.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:29 pm

Luis wrote:Not proven enough and had a shocker in his last season at Dortmund.

We need an Ancelotti or Benitez - someone who has won trophies over a sustained period of time.

How isn't he proven enough? Won 2 league titles against Bayern and reached a CL final with a negative net spend.

Ancelotti has never managed a team that didn't have ALOT of money.

Also, I have already explained why he had a bad season last year, because he had 5 or 6 key players injured for long parts of the season. They also lost Gotze and Lewandowski. Dortmund didn't have a deep squad because they didn't have a lot of money, so they suffered.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Jaime Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:34 pm

You can have Rafa! Wink
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10245

Post by Murray Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:38 pm

You've actually had 25 years of rebuilding.
    Puro
    Puro

Number of posts : 10679
    Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:41 pm

Mes amis! It's the NY-MIAMI Connection again with some news.

Just guess who Liverpool are after. Oh FFS! cheers

Here's the clue: Pep flew across the world to meet him before he started his first season with Barça. They talked football for eleven straight hours while having an exquisite parrilla and wine, and using lawn chairs for tactics demonstration.

It's gonna the quick fix needed and it's gonna be balls to the wall. It's just what we need after the disaster created by the committee and Rodgers.

Welcome to Liverpool, Mandanda, Imbula, Ocampos, Ayew and Gignac.

abundance
    abundance

Number of posts : 1514
    Supports : FC Inter
    Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:22 pm

Dude I would drool and squeak like a tweeny girl if Klopp came to sit on the bench of my team.

No but you want an Ancelotti or Benitez

Liverpool FC 2015/2016 - Page 3 Hoogan11

Like giving pearls to swines...
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:17 pm

Corrupt real mierda wrote:

How isn't he proven enough? Won 2 league titles against Bayern and reached a CL final with a negative net spend.

Also, I have already explained why he had a bad season last year, because he had 5 or 6 key players injured for long parts of the season. They also lost Gotze and Lewandowski. Dortmund didn't have a deep squad because they didn't have a lot of money, so they suffered.

He won 2 titles in an average to good league which is a great achievement but it's too early to say if he could do this consistently IMO.

He's going to have to contend with injuries at Liverpool. Rodgers nearly won the league with Sturridge and Henderson fit for nearly all of that season. Both suffer injuries and it goes to shit. You can't have that as an excuse for one manager but not another.

Rodgers lost Suarez and Sterling.

I don't buy all this Anceotti and Mourinho only win because of money crap either. It's a stupid argument. Madrid and Barca win everything because of money, does that mean their managers aren't good? Mourinho won the CL with Porto and got Inter to win the treble - now look at them ffs.

Ancelotti has proven over 3 top leagues that he can organise a team and instil a winning mentality.

I'm not saying Klopp isn't a good manager but I think he's more of a risk than Ancelotti is. People are expecting Klopp to do what he did at Dortmund but it's a completely different context. Ancelotti can come in, sort the defence out and get the best out of the attacking talent we have. He's experienced and respected in this league already.

Post by Guest Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:32 pm

Luis wrote:
    Corrupt real mierda wrote:

He won 2 titles in an average to good league which is a great achievement but it's too early to say if he could do this consistently IMO.

He's going to have to contend with injuries at Liverpool. Rodgers nearly won the league with Sturridge and Henderson fit  for nearly all of that season. Both suffer injuries and it goes to shit. You can't have that as an excuse for one manager but not another.

Rodgers lost Suarez and Sterling.

I don't buy all this Anceotti and Mourinho only win because of money crap either. It's a stupid argument. Madrid and Barca win everything because of money, does that mean their managers aren't good? Mourinho won the CL with Porto and got Inter to win the treble - now look at them ffs.

Ancelotti has proven over 3 top leagues that he can organise a team and instil a winning mentality.

I'm not saying Klopp isn't a good manager but I think he's more of a risk than Ancelotti is. People are expecting Klopp to do what he did at Dortmund but it's a completely different context. Ancelotti can come in, sort the defence out and get the best out of the attacking talent we have. He's experienced and respected in this league already.

Whether you think it's a average league or not, he won against Bayern Munich, who at the time where one of the top 3 teams in the world ( They still are).

Winning the Bundesliga is harder than winning the DPL because the top team in Bundesliga is better than the top team in the DPL, it doesn't matter if the other teams are weaker ( I am not saying they are). To win a league you have to do better than the best team, so the difficulty of winning the league depends solely on how good the best team is you are competing against. That is why winning La Liga or the Bundesliga is much harder than winning the PL, if Dortmund or Atletico can achieve more points over a season than Bayern or Barcelona then they will easily achieve more points than a team like City if they played in the DPL.

And he doesn't have to win league titles consistently to do a good job, that shouldn't be expected.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 7:47 pm