Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Can an English team reach the final?

Can an English team reach the final? Empty Can an English team reach the final?

Post by Guest Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:30 pm

IMO no they can't. All 4 English teams have major weaknesses. City's main problem is that they have the lazy Yaya Toure in midfield who always gets overran against quality opposition in the CL. In the CL you can't afford to carry a player like Yaya Toure in your midfield, when they played Borussia Dortmund a few years back it was most obvious, Dortmund's nimble midfielders where running rings round him. This is why I don't rate him as a world class player, he is not good enough in midfield for the CL. Arsenal's main weakness is their manager, he has only reached the final once in 16 years despite having some top quality teams and that is because he is often outwitted by real top coaches, he is poor tactically IMO and you need to get your tactics right to get far in the CL. Chelsea's weaknesses are less obvious but I think they are too defensive and that is ultimately down to their manager, this is why they got knocked out by a 10 men PSG team, instead of going for the kill they tried to defend a 1 goal lead. Now just look at their full-backs, they have a defensive RB at LB and a CB at RB, this is not good for bombing down the wings and keeping possession high up the field, another weakness is that they rely on their starting 11 far too much, they have some good substitutes but when they come on they often play shit. And also Mourinho has only reached the final from 2 of his 7 CL's SF ties. Man United's weaknesses are obvious.

I think one of City or Chelsea MAY reach the SF, but they only have a chance if they avoid the big 3. If they play one of the big 3 it's curtains for them.

Can an English team reach the final? Empty Re: Can an English team reach the final?

Post by Guest Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:48 pm

Added to us, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. I think Chelsea and City would be underdogs against Juventus, us (Atletico) and PSG. So that's 6 teams that are better than the best teams in England. The odds are against them that's for sure.
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10245
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Can an English team reach the final? Empty Re: Can an English team reach the final?

Post by Murray Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:43 am

None of the English teams are any better than last season, so it's unlikely. But sometimes bad teams can fluke their way to the final, like Chelsea in 2012 or Liverpool in 2005.
    shizzle787

Number of posts : 37
    Supports : Juventus
    Favourite Player : Diego Forlan
    Registration date : 2015-04-28

Post by shizzle787 Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:06 pm

Man City and Arsenal will bow out in the Round of 16 again, and Man U probably will as well. Although Chelsea has struggled in the PL so far, I get this weird feeling they're due to win the CL.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:41 pm