Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Kimbo
Football Genius
Keano Is God
Ricardo Jol
Brian2468
Tweesus
Fey
SuperMario
DS
13 posters

West Ham move for Wright-Phillips

Rosicky

West Ham move for Wright-Phillips Empty West Ham move for Wright-Phillips

Post by Rosicky Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:29 pm

West Ham have made an approach to buy Chelsea's out-of-favour winger Shaun Wright-Phillips, and are thought to be willing to pay £10m.

"There has been interest from West Ham and they have officially approached us," Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon said on Friday.

"We're not looking to sell our players but if we get an offer we'll have to look at it on a serious basis."

Chelsea bought Wright-Phillips, 25, for £21m from Manchester City in July 2005.

But the England international has made only 12 league starts for Jose Mourinho's side since his arrival at Stamford Bridge, although he has come off the bench on 23 occasions.

The stepson of ex-England striker Ian Wright is yet to score a goal for the Premiership champions.

West Ham will have money to spend in the January transfer window following the takeover of the club by Icelanders Eggert Magnusson and Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson.

The Hammers made no official comment when contacted by BBC Sport on Friday.
    Saintsar

West Ham move for Wright-Phillips Empty Re: West Ham move for Wright-Phillips

Post by Saintsar Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:55 pm

Best move for him - re-establish his reputation at an attacking mid-table club, then see if another call from the big clubs comes along.

He went too early, and went to the wrong club.
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by DS Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:06 pm

Sell him please Chelsea .
    L r d

Post by L r d Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:14 pm

Poor move if West Ham shell that out on him. Take him on loan first with a fixed price.

Don't know why everyone is so convinced that he'll immediately get back to his Man City form. His confidence has been shot to shit and he isn't the most naturally gifted player.
    Luis

Post by Luis Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:16 pm

good player, worth 10 mil? no way

then again Pennant isnt worth 8 mil either
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:17 pm

SWP needs to go to another club. Mourinho uses wingers less than he did last season, playing power-midifeld like Essien, Makalele, Lamps & Ballack. Furthermore Joe Cole, Robben & Kalou are all ahead of him.

By the way if SWP = 10M, Castelen is worth 30M.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:23 pm

jonathan de guzman wrote:SWP needs to go to another club. Mourinho uses wingers less than he did last season, playing power-midifeld like Essien, Makalele, Lamps & Ballack. Furthermore Joe Cole, Robben & Kalou are all ahead of him.

So true, but then again we all saw the differences between them when we played England 2 years ago. Still don't get what Kalou is doing there, he should play much more. Would be better if he got loaned out.
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:19 pm

Fey wrote:
    jonathan de guzman wrote:SWP needs to go to another club. Mourinho uses wingers less than he did last season, playing power-midifeld like Essien, Makalele, Lamps & Ballack. Furthermore Joe Cole, Robben & Kalou are all ahead of him.

So true, but then again we all saw the differences between them when we played England 2 years ago. Still don't get what Kalou is doing there, he should play much more. Would be better if he got loaned out.
    yep, real pity about Kalou, 1 of the world brightests talents wasted on the bench.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:38 pm

will this involve a shift to the left wing for Benayoun? because if its at the expense of Benayouns position then why is the point? scratch

Good quality for the Hammers though but I can't understand why they'd want to offer a straight £10m
    Brian2468

Number of posts : 4875

Post by Brian2468 Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:20 pm

It would work out well for the hammers if SWP can deliver a good cross players like Ashten to feed. I think its could be a good move for him.
    S4P

Post by S4P Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:31 am

Has anyone thought for a moment that Kalou is just 21 years old and is new to English football? It would be almost a catastrophe to make him play every minute of every game, because he would be burned out by the time he is 25-26 (ala Owen).

He has still participated in 17 games this season though. Not bad when you think the likes of Terry have played in 19 games eh?
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:38 am

How can you compare Kalou with Owen...? This is an insult for this huge talent.... Shocked

Wink
    Keano Is God
    Keano Is God

Number of posts : 439
    Supports : Manchester United and Celtic
    Favourite Player : Student
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Keano Is God Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:09 am

Luis wrote:good player, worth 10 mil? no way

but both are english so the prices just keep rising
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743
    Supports : Liverpool

Post by Football Genius Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:22 pm

saintgoingmarching wrote:Best move for him - re-establish his reputation at an attacking mid-table club, then see if another call from the big clubs comes along.

He went too early, and went to the wrong club.

Agreed.

Disagree with Obispo's point about his confidence being shot, during interviews he appears relaxed and still feels hes got a point to prove, also it is not the actions of a footballer lacking confidence when he does get some action time he attacks the defender and eagerly looks to do positive things.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:31 pm

Keano Is God wrote:

SWP is more worth £10 than Pennant is worth £8m
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:42 pm

Tweedledum wrote:
    Keano Is God wrote:

SWP is more worth £10 than Pennant is worth £8m
    ok SWP >>>>>>>>>>>>> Pennant

Not a great price for West Ham, BUT he would be a VERY good signing for them. Bar us it's probably the perfect club for him, unfortunately for him we have Milner and don't need him. Cool <Ale> Hopefully he will get back to his Man City form and put this Lennon hype on ice. Bubbly
    Luso
    Luso

Number of posts : 3305
    Supports : Sporting Clube de Portugal

Post by Luso Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:28 pm

Would this guy ever consider a move away from England? With his skill, he's the kind of player I think would do very well in Spain for ex.

I quite like SWP's skill and would love to have him at Sporting. I think he'd suit us quite well as he likes to put on the skill and push forward. He's young and would fit right in with our young stars.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:51 pm

Luso 'Sporting' wrote:Would this guy ever consider a move away from England? With his skill, he's the kind of player I think would do very well in Spain for ex.

I quite like SWP's skill and would love to have him at Sporting. I think he'd suit us quite well as he likes to put on the skill and push forward. He's young and would fit right in with our young stars.

ok ok He would do well to move abroad. More players of his ilk should test themselves abroad, but we all know how english players are notoriously dependent on their home comforts.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:22 pm

SWP doesn't have the technique or guile to play in Spain, Portugal or Italy. He might be of good use in the Bundeliga - think David Odonkor with Shooting ability.

He was at the perfect level at Man City - a mid table saide where he could stand out, purely because he was pace and a hard shot... and now look at him.

Pennant's been poor for Liverpool, but he's done 10x as much for them as SWP has for Chelsea - If SWP really was as good as some say, Jose wouldn't have signed Kalou after selling Duff.

As for how he'd fit in to the Hammers, it could be a good signing, if the 2 Argies are moved out in Jan.

Without the Argies:

-------------Reo-Coker(c)----Mullins
    SWP--------------------Benayoun----------Etherington
    ---------------------------Ashton

However, If The Argies stay - it's a waste of Money. He's not a better right sided player than Benayoun, whose got more talent in the little toe of his weaker foot.

Anyone who says SWP > Lennon - can Fuck off. Really.
    S4P

Post by S4P Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:24 pm

TeamSpirit™️ wrote:SWP doesn't have the technique or guile to play in Spain, Portugal or Italy. He might be of good use in the Bundeliga - think David Odonkor with Shooting ability.

He was at the perfect level at Man City - a mid table saide where he could stand out, purely because he was pace and a hard shot... and now look at him.

Pennant's been poor for Liverpool, but he's done 10x as much for them as SWP has for Chelsea - If SWP really was as good as some say, Jose wouldn't have signed Kalou after selling Duff

ok

Ale

He's had chances at Chelsea, but everytime (except v Everton last season), he's been very average/poor imo. Complete lack of control, and you can't get away with only having pace (certainly if you're incredibly small) at the very highest level (Champions League, international etc).

Lennon > SWP by far
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:37 pm

TeamSpirit™️ wrote:SWP doesn't have the technique or guile to play in Spain, Portugal or Italy. He might be of good use in the Bundeliga - think David Odonkor with Shooting ability.

Pennant's been poor for Liverpool, but he's done 10x as much for them as SWP has for Chelsea - If SWP really was as good as some say, Jose wouldn't have signed Kalou after selling Duff.

As for how he'd fit in to the Hammers, it could be a good signing, if the 2 Argies are moved out in Jan.

Without the Argies:

-------------Reo-Coker(c)----Mullins
    SWP--------------------Benayoun----------Etherington
    ---------------------------Ashton

However, If The Argies stay - it's a waste of Money. He's not a better right sided player than Benayoun, whose got more talent in the little toe of his weaker foot.

Anyone who says SWP > Lennon - can Fuck off. Really.

No no no no no no. And no. Where has this belief that SWP is a pace merchant come from? Its because he hasnt been playing much is the only thing I can think of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kKMG37NQGo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkiatFLEYyg&mode=related&search=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r_bkCj1Rs0&mode=related&search=

There is technique and guile there. Its obvious.

He's looked rusty for Chelsea, but by God he was a player at Man City. My mate's is a Man City fan and he would rip anyone's head off if he heard some call SWP a David Odonker-alike.

John Terry. SWP. And Wayne Routledge. 3 players you are wrong about Biggrin <Ale>
    Luso
    Luso

Post by Luso Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:00 am

I've only ever seen him for City, but I honestly thought he looked a good player for them. Good shot and plenty of pace. Seemed to make good plays for the team too. Course I don't watch the EPL much so I'll take your word on this...

However, from the limited times I've seen Lennon he was really only pace; that's all he had against Portugal for ex. That said, I had seen him a bit before for England as didn't like the fact he came on against us as he his pace makes him hard to control.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:09 am

Luso 'Sporting' wrote:I've only ever seen him for City, but I honestly thought he looked a good player for them. Good shot and plenty of pace. Seemed to make good plays for the team too. Course I don't watch the EPL much so I'll take your word on this...

However, from the limited times I've seen Lennon he was really only pace; that's all he had against Portugal for ex. That said, I had seen him a bit before for England as didn't like the fact he came on against us as he his pace makes him hard to control.
    Lennon has good pace and control, BUT he hasn't done enough to earn this big reputation. He's another great example of the sun etc at work. ok
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:37 am

Luso 'Sporting' wrote:I've only ever seen him for City, but I honestly thought he looked a good player for them. Good shot and plenty of pace. Seemed to make good plays for the team too. Course I don't watch the EPL much so I'll take your word on this...

Don't listen to Kimbo.
    Luso
    Luso

Post by Luso Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:58 am

Not sure how much of Nani you've seen TS, but would you say Lennon is more skilled then him?

Nani is a pretty technical player...
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:00 am

Luso 'Sporting' wrote:Not sure how much of Nani you've seen TS, but would you say Lennon is more skilled then him?

Nani is a pretty technical player...
    Nani is technically better - and I do think he's more developed than Lennon - but Lennon is an exciting talent also - more direct, and just as good a dribbler, with close control at high speed.

He scored a great goal vs. Spartak in the CL, didn't he?

Both are much better prospects than SWP.
    L r d

Post by L r d Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:09 am

SWP's 25 isn't he? Hardly still a prospect.

For what it's worth I think SWP's a great player to have at a mid-table side and he'll always be a better player at a side like West Ham (at the moment) or City than Pennant is or could be for Liverpool.

But taking this into account, I still don't think he could do a better job at a top 4 club because I don't think he has enough about his game when he isn't knocking the ball past players and skinning them with sheer pace. I don't think he's comfortable enough on the ball to play in a team that's probing for openings when the opposition have 10 men behind the ball which is something he never had to do at city.
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:27 am

Why all this slagging off of SWP all of a sudden? is it because of LENNON?

SWP is better than Lennon at the moment and I believe playing regular football he would be back in the England squad before Lennon, who although is a good player, is still not the finished article due to his age...

SWP would be class for us...especially the way we play
    Luso
    Luso

Post by Luso Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:26 am

@TS

Yea, Nani did bag a great one against Spartak. It's one of the youtube links I've posted under his thread...the last one in fact.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:38 pm