Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Deano
COTR
Kimbo
Deluded F*ck™
TM
9 posters

Lucas Niell, why the Hammers over Liverpool?

Luis

Lucas Niell, why the Hammers over Liverpool? Empty Lucas Niell, why the Hammers over Liverpool?

Post by Luis Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:40 pm

Today, both Benitez and Parry have said they are surprised with Niells claims that he:

a) never felt Liverpool made a big enough effort to sign him

b) didn't even talk to Benitez

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neill, who completed his switch to Upton Park earlier this week, alleged that Liverpool hadn't made him feel truly wanted and that Benitez had not actually talked to him.

"He knows that isn’t true," claimed Rafa. "His comments were a surprise because when I spoke to him he was telling me different things. At the end of the day, if he didn’t have enough passion to come here then maybe it’s better for us."

also

Rick Parry has hit back at Lucas Neill's claim that Rafael Benitez didn't make a big enough effort to bring him to Anfield.
    The Liverpool boss was hoping to add Neill to his squad during this month's transfer window but the player instead opted to sign a contract with West Ham, citing lack of personal contact from Benitez as one of his reasons.

"I don't know who was on the other end of the telephone talking to Rafa when I was sat next to him, but I'm quite sure it was Lucas Neill," said Parry.

“The decision by Lucas not to accept our terms after we agreed a fee with Blackburn will bemuse many fans.

“Players make their decisions and while you are sometimes surprised, you have to move on to the next one.

“Neill had the choice between Liverpool and West Ham, we were offering him the opportunity of Champions League football.

“What we want are players with an instinctive desire to play for Liverpool. We want people with a real passion to come here and help us win trophies.

“Clearly, there will always be a chance for players to earn well if they do well.”

“However, at the end of the day it is up to the individual to decide what is best for his career.

“From our side, we never want to be in a position where someone is only coming here for the money. A player has to be driven by something more than that. Because of the stature, history and ambition of Liverpool, there should be no need for us to sell the merits of this club.

“It’s Neill’s decision and it’s his future. It has happened before and it will happen again.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what is your take on it? is Niell lying? why did he really choose the hammers over Liverpool? was it money?
    TM
    TM

Number of posts : 21218
    Supports : PROGRESS!
    Favourite Player : Luis Figo
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Lucas Niell, why the Hammers over Liverpool? Empty Re: Lucas Niell, why the Hammers over Liverpool?

Post by TM Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:41 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Lucas Niell, why the Hammers over Liverpool? Empty Re: Lucas Niell, why the Hammers over Liverpool?

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:42 pm

He knows that Ashton's a better target to aim for than Crouch when he wants to long-ball it ok
    Luis

Post by Luis Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:44 pm

I don't understand how any player could choose money over champions league football
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:49 pm

Luis wrote:I don't understand how any player could choose money over champions league football
    Hmm, 35k a week and CL football(overrated) or 60k+ a week? Neill made the right decision for himself IMO, a footballers career is short, you have to earn as much as you can for as long as it lasts. ok

Champions league football is great, but it's not massive club after massive club. You've got Anderlecht, Copenhagen, AEK, Levski etc etc etc.
    Luis

Post by Luis Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:51 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    Luis wrote:I don't understand how any player could choose money over champions league football
    Hmm, 35k a week and CL football(overrated) or 60k+ a week? Neill made the right decision for himself IMO, a footballers career is short, you have to earn as much as you can for as long as it lasts. ok

Champions league football is great, but it's not massive club after massive club. You've got Anderlecht, Copenhagen, AEK, Levski etc etc etc.

so would you rather win nothing in your career and have nothing really to be proud of yet still be richer than a lot of other players ( he would still be rich either way)

or

play for one of the biggest clubs in the world, win big trophys and still be rich, and if he played well for the big club his wages could even rise
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:52 pm

he probably realised deep down that he wouldn't be getting many games and that extra 30 grand or whatever it was was an added incentive.. I don't see anything wrong with his decision TBH. he was always just going to be backup whereas at west ham he can be a big part of an exciting new plan (which of course may backfire badly)
    L r d

Post by L r d Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:52 pm

Cash, London, guarenteed first team football.

Bit gutted but hold no grudges. We could probably find someone a fair bit better in the summer anyways when the cash-flow shouldn't be so much of an issue.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:56 pm

Luis wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

so would you rather win nothing in your career and have nothing really to be proud of yet still be richer than a lot of other players ( he would still be rich either way)

or

play for one of the biggest clubs in the world, win big trophys and still be rich, and if he played well for the big club his wages could even rise
    Is there a guarantee that he would win big trophies at Liverpool? No. Would he even be guaranteed first team football? No. Would his wages EVER rise to 60k(remember he's 29)? I seriously doubt it. Also i'm pretty sure helping save a club from relegation would be something to be proud of.
    Luis

Post by Luis Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:58 pm

ye good luck to him then..

would of been a good squad player to have though
    TM
    TM

Number of posts : 21218
    Supports : PROGRESS!
    Favourite Player : Luis Figo
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:06 pm

What happens when the hammers are relegated and he's playing championship footie.
    Luis

Post by Luis Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:07 pm

Target Man wrote:What happens when the hammers are relegated and he's playing championship footie.

we buy him for free then Very Happy, perhaps Niell and Benitez made a pact...
    L r d

Post by L r d Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:20 pm

Target Man wrote:What happens when the hammers are relegated and he's playing championship footie.

He has a get-out-clause in his contract...
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:24 pm

what do you mean..When?

as for all this bollocks...Rick Parry is a wanker...his comments are disrespectful to us..and he has come out and said Neill is a liar (which he can be sued for)

Neill said himself he wants guarenteed first team football which you couldnt offer him..

many players are happy to sit on the benches of top teams (SWP,Solskjaer,Mikel)
    COTR
    COTR

Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:30 pm

well clearly he is a liar or has been misquoted deano...

I seriously doubt parry would come out and say something like this if it wasnt the truth
    Luis

Post by Luis Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:32 pm

Why would Rafa make up talking to him?
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:33 pm

Luis wrote:Why would Rafa make up talking to him?

at the end of the day...whatever the reasons are..hes signed for us...end of fucking story...
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:33 pm

It's a bit wierd for Parry to come out and say something like this though. Remember the ridiculous saga over Harry Kewell?

And it's not as if Gerrard signed for the same wages he was on previously... Liverpool had to match Chelsea's offer before he even listened to them.
    Luis

Post by Luis Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:34 pm

Deaño-WHUFC wrote:

at the end of the day...whatever the reasons are..hes signed for us...end of fucking story...

Laughing calm down, i'm just curious as both sides have a different story
    Deano
    Deano

Post by Deano Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:37 pm

Luis wrote:
    Deaño-WHUFC wrote:

yeah but im getting pissed of with it...shock horror..Lucas Neill has signed for more money and first team football...OMFG!!! Surprised Surprised Surprised

Does it honestly matter what hes signed for? your chairman and Benitez expected him to sign for Liverpool...he didnt and now they want to make a fuss.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:38 pm

Deaño-WHUFC wrote:
    Luis wrote:
    Deaño-WHUFC wrote:

yeah but im getting pissed of with it...shock horror..Lucas Neill has signed for more money and first team football...OMFG!!! Surprised Surprised Surprised

Does it honestly matter what hes signed for? your chairman and Benitez expected him to sign for Liverpool...he didnt and now they want to make a fuss.

They'll be setting up a protest soon. Razz
    COTR
    COTR

Post by COTR Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:48 pm

Deaño-WHUFC wrote:
    Luis wrote:
    Deaño-WHUFC wrote:

Neill is the one who is lying in the press deano..

obviously parry is going to set the record straight.. oh and BTw he has a weekly column on our website so was obviously going to talk about this in that

it's more the press who are making a big deal out of him not signing for us.. neill then reacted to that and parry is reacting to neill
    "Tuffy" Monag

Number of posts : 405
    Supports : SLB
    Registration date : 2007-01-03

Post by "Tuffy" Monag Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:12 am

Firstly, this is the last chance Neill had to sign a big contract, with lots of money.
    Secondly, Rafa did talk to him, but only on the phone, whereas Curbishley made the effort to meet him face to face.
    Thirdly, returning to London carried some weight.
    And lastly, there was never a chance in hell he'd sign for Liverpool as long as Cahill is around that area.
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115

Post by Roger Hunt Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:30 am

Bottom line, if he didn't want to come, we're better off without him. I've no hard feelings about it really... just frustration that we could do with a versatile defender. But that's life.
    L r d

Post by L r d Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:33 pm

Roger_Hunt wrote:Bottom line, if he didn't want to come, we're better off without him. I've no hard feelings about it really... just frustration that we could do with a versatile defender. But that's life.

ok

I think alot of the fuss Deano is down to the fact that he made all the usual PR moves - "I'm a boyhood Red", "I'd jump at the chance to sign for Liverpool" etc.

Then he had 5 months to mull it over and opted for the bigger contract at West Ham...
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:43 pm

He said he signed for West Ham because liverpool left him feeling cold and West Ham gave him a warm volcanic heat feeling....case closed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:33 pm