Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Kimbo
Parks lives
6 posters

Some thoughts on the PFA awards

Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Some thoughts on the PFA awards Empty Some thoughts on the PFA awards

Post by Parks lives Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:00 pm

Never Mind The So-Called Shortlist...

At the beginning of April 1991, the shortlist for PFA Player of the Year was announced on Saint and Greavsie, ITV's Saturday lunchtime show (the only option in an era when the BBC, without league footage, had suspended Football Focus). I can't remember all the names but there were five including Alan Hansen and Vincent Jones.

The former had retired the previous May. The latter was as bad a footballer as he is an actor. When Ian St John said that for the first time the shortlist was being opened up to the public, to provide the sixth name, while Jimmy Greaves struggled to keep a straight face, it didn't take much to realise that if you rang the phone number to submit your choice you would get a recorded message reminding you that it was April 1.

Judging by the reaction to this year's shortlist, many people think that the real thing in 2007 is a bigger joke than the fake selection from 1991. One Mailbox contributor, Ronan Donnelly of Dublin, has even lost it to the extent of thinking that Micah Richards has been picked on the senior list and that the whole thing is the responsibility of the FA.

Yes, players vote too early, though not as badly as they used to. In 1995-96, Les Ferdinand got the nod on the basis of votes collected by the end of February. He had 21 goals in Newcastle's first 25 games, playing in 24; he started in the remaining 13 but scored just four more times as Kevin Keegan's side surrendered their lead at the top of the table. It was a sheepish Les who picked up his gong. That prompted a rescheduling of the votes, though it has not gone far enough.

Some may cast strange votes. Yes, there are players in the final six who shouldn't be there and ones who should be that are missing. Defenders are underappreciated, goalkeepers more so, though it's worth considering that some will vote on the basis of the best player they have faced, judged on what someone was like in a game or two. And as long as Cristiano Ronaldo and Didier Drogba are in the frame I'm not going to join in with the complaints.

Thanks to his injury, my annual demand for Petr Cech to get some recognition cannot be made so easily. So the two players that have been the key men for the two best teams in the country are on the list and my guess is that the other four names really don't matter.

I'm pleased Paul Scholes is there, even if his renaissance hasn't included learning how to tackle. But the six names are not a true shortlist, in the manner of the six called for a job interview. The decision has already been made.

Some brief research has not established whether the PFA announce a breakdown of the votes. But it seems unlikely that Cesc Fabregas, Steven Gerrard, Ryan Giggs and Scholes (listed alphabetically) will, combined, get even half the votes of whoever comes second. And very few votes may separate that quartet from the players beneath them.

Without Drogba's goals, Chelsea would be lucky to be competing on one front still, never mind three, and with a trophy in the bag to boot. Without Ronaldo, Manchester United would not be attracting the rave notices to go with their assault on the Treble.

Others have played increasingly well and I hope that Michael Essien's versatility is not held against him when it comes to the team of the season, the best player in each position. But he has not made as much contribution as Drogba to keeping his club competitive at the very highest level. Though as Drogba has scored just once in the last ten games, I'd hope that he'd have to settle for second even if he didn't play for Chelsea.

Ronaldo remains a controversial figure, but much of that has been hot air from people unwilling to accept that the laws decree it a foul if you make any contact with an opponent before the ball in a tackle. His goalscoring and goal-creation records this season have been extraordinary and it is to the player's credit that he overcame the prejudice stirred up by those who last summer sought to distract attention from Wayne Rooney's deliberate stamp on an opponent.

If we see a repeat of Andy Gray's unique feat of 1977 - victory in both the senior and junior categories - then Ronaldo will be a deserved double winner. Regardless of whether his efforts are enough to land a Treble, he's the one who's got them in a position to talk about winning it.

And as for the rest, from Michael Essien to Ben Foster, let us hope that the team of the season gives credit where it's due.

Philip Cornwall

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone got any thoughts on the actual team of the year which will be announced, considering these votes were done in Feburary.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Some thoughts on the PFA awards Empty Re: Some thoughts on the PFA awards

Post by Kimbo Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:08 pm

Parks lives wrote:
    Yes, players vote too early, though not as badly as they used to. In 1995-96, Les Ferdinand got the nod on the basis of votes collected by the end of February. He had 21 goals in Newcastle's first 25 games, playing in 24; he started in the remaining 13 but scored just four more times as Kevin Keegan's side surrendered their lead at the top of the table. It was a sheepish Les who picked up his gong. That prompted a rescheduling of the votes, though it has not gone far enough.

Oh give me a fucking break, he scored 25 goals in 37 games that season. Sheepish my arse!!! ok
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:09 pm

I think there's a likelihood a few Arsenal players could make the team because it was only after February there team tailed off. Vidic would have much more of a chance of making the team as well.

-------------------- James

Toure ------- Vidic ------ Carvahilo ------ Evra

Ronaldo ---- Scholes ---- Essien ---- Van Persie

-------------- Drogba

Not to sure on the other striker. Between Berbatov and Van Persie maybe (if Van Persie is selected maybe Arterta, Giggs or Fabregas in midfield).
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:12 pm

I think it will be something like this.

-------------------Cech-------------------

G.Neville--Carragher--Terry--M.Taylor*

Ronaldo---Lampard---Scholes---Giggs

------------Drogba--Rooney------------

* token non-top 4 player.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:14 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    Parks lives wrote:

Oh give me a fucking break, he scored 25 goals in 37 games that season. Sheepish my arse!!! ok

But if that was voted for in May instead of January or February it'd of most likely gone to Cantona.

Not saying Ferdinand wasn't superb in that season.

Last edited by on Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Batman Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:15 pm

1st half of the season.

- - - - - - - - James - - - - - - - -

Neville - Campbell - Vidic - Evra

Ronaldo - Essien - Scholes - Giggs

- - - - Drogba - - Van Persie - - - -
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
    Supports : Arsenal FC
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Cesc Soler Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:17 pm

I can't see any of our players in the team this year. I will have no complaints if no one does. Toure, Fabregas and van Persie are the players I would consider for a select XI

I would say:

---------------------- James

-- Finnan -- Carvalho -- Ferdinand -- Evra

-- Ronaldo -- Lampard -- Scholes -- Taylor

---------------- Drogba -- Rooney

Like the Premiership this year it will be largely a Man Utd and Chelsea team. If the votes were done earlier this year then Cech would not be considered as well as Berbatov who's form was mainly in the UEFA Cup. Rooney hasn't been phenominal this year but he has still had his moments and the facts speak for themselves with his goals/assists this season.

Last edited by on Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:21 pm

Parks lives wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:
    Parks lives wrote:

But if that was voted for in May instead of January or February it'd of most likely gone to Cantona.

Not saying Ferdinand wasn't superb in that season.

Or maybe it would've gone to Shearer or Fowler. I'm sure they can come up with better examples than Les Ferdinand.
    Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071

Post by Batman Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:22 pm

2nd half of the season.

- - - - - - - - - - - Cech - - - - - - - - - - -

Essien - Carvahilo - Carragher - Taylor

- - - - - - - - - - Carrick - - - - - - - - - -
    - - - - Scholes - - - - - - - Arterta - - - -
    - - - - - - - - - - Lampard - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - Drogba - - - Ronaldo - - - - - -
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:42 pm

I would say Finnan has been the best right back in the league. Even when liverpool played badly at the beginning of the season he was still playing well.

And rooney would be in my team of the season alongside drogba.

so:

--------------James - - - - - - - - - - -

--Finnan -- Rio -- Carragher -- Taylor

-- Ronaldo -- Lampard -- Scholes -- Giggs (RVP except injured)

- - - - - - Drogba - - - Rooney - - - - - -

so 2 token non-top 4 players Wink
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:53 pm

I can GUARANTEE that James won't get in the team, i'm 90% sure it will be Cech. Jussi deserves it but Cech will get it.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:55 pm

Cech has been superb since his return. Still shouldn't be in it though.

You'd give the nod to Jussi over James, then?
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:58 pm

It will be Foster in goal.

@ Kimbo - you never disappoint with those avatars !

lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:38 am