Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
EMP
OP9
Brian2468
Puro
mongrel hawk
Fey
blutgraetsche
debaser
toon h
Murray
bluenine
15 posters

The Big 4 - Interesting Analysis

mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
    Supports : Corinthians
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

The Big 4 - Interesting Analysis - Page 2 Empty Re: The Big 4 - Interesting Analysis

Post by mongrel hawk Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:26 pm

yeh, but the winter there is always cold, even without snow. have a look at the Argentina WC, the tems played with long sleeves.

here in São Paulo it's 15 degrees now. far from hot, isn't it?

toon h wrote:
    mongrel hawk wrote:it snowed in Buenos Aires this week.

... for the first time since 1915...
    Puro
    Puro

Number of posts : 10679
    Registration date : 2006-09-12

The Big 4 - Interesting Analysis - Page 2 Empty Re: The Big 4 - Interesting Analysis

Post by Puro Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:34 pm

I am Mum-Ra wrote:
    Brazil's record against Germany is actually better than their record against England Puro. U muppet Biggrin <Ale>

However, we're talking about Crème de la Crème stuff here you know! Brasil, Italia, Argentina, Germany, France, Holland. NOT England!

Typical you! Perhaps blut is right after all with that "English deluded fans". cheers
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:31 pm

Don't just look at the championship games, I am sure Holland have played Italy and germany many more times in competitive games (qualifiers, etc). Your sample size is not adequate.

jonathan de guzman wrote:Holland v Big 4 (friendlies discarded):

ITALY

EC2000 SF Holland -Italy 0-0 Italy wins after penalties
    WC1978 2nd group stage Holland - Italy 2-1
    ECQ1975 Italy - Holland 1-0
    ECQ1975 Holland - Italy 3-1

ARGENTINA

WC2006 group stage Holland - Argentina 0-0
    WC1998 QF Holland - Argentina 2-1
    WC1978 F Argentina - Holland 3-1 aet
    WC1974 group stage Holland v Argentina 4-0

BRAZIL

WC1998 SF Brazil v Holland 1-1 Brazil wins after penalties
    WC1994 QF Brazil - Holland 3-2
    WC1974 2nd group stage Holland - Brazil 2-0

GERMANY

EC2004 group stage Holland - Germany 2-2
    EC1992 group stage Holland v Germany 3-1
    WC1990 1/8F W Germany - Holland 2-1
    EC1988 SF W Germany - Holland 1-2
    EC1980 group stage Holland - W Germany 2-3
    WC1978 2nd group stage Holland - W Germany 2-2
    WC 1974 F Germany v Holland 2-1

So Holland own Argentina, are on par with Italy (against we just loose all friendlies), about on par with Germany (Germany played us twice at home) and we get just owned by Brazil.

Big 5?
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:43 am

@bluenine
    I bet you 100 points I didn't miss a competitive match v Italy.

By the way I included both qualifiers Holland played v Italy in 1975!!!!

The only qualifiers v Germany I excluded are the ones v the former German 'Democratic' Republic (Eastern Germany), was unfair to Germany as a whole (we have a postive overall result V GDR).

I.e. I got my stats from a very reliable website (Dutch FA's). If you think they're wrong, you've got to back this up with facts (especially if you're sure like you say). Shouldn't be that difficult with 'many more' matches to pcik from.

Last edited by on Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
    110%

Number of posts : 8978
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by 110% Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:48 am

blutgraetsche wrote:We only played Brazil once in a major tournament (2002 final).

Btw., I understand what jonathan tries to say, these big-whatever theories bore me to be honest.

We have to win a major competition again, I don't care what label others give us. That's all that counts in the end.

A statistician would laugh at all this stuff. Basing a theory on a sample size of 18 world cups over a period of 76 years where not every country competed in the beginning, game changed over the years, brazil have played germany once, brasil have played england only 4 times etc. The only thing that can be said right now is that Brasil, Italy and Germany have dominated the first 18 world cups but these could easily be "outliers" after 100 world cups it might be found that each of these teams win a couple more but china for example win about 20. Even to break into the top 4 as is being proclaimed now with argentina a team just has to win 2 world cups, or in some cases like england or france if they win 2 more they would be equal to germany in terms of wins. Of course it is hard to win world cups, but the fact that 1 win can make so much difference to the stats shows how flawed they are in terms of sample size.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:30 pm