Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Murray
Puro
6 posters

THE BEST SCOTLAND I EVER WITNESSED

Puro
    Puro

Number of posts : 10679
    Registration date : 2006-09-12

THE BEST SCOTLAND I EVER WITNESSED Empty THE BEST SCOTLAND I EVER WITNESSED

Post by Puro Tue May 29, 2007 7:08 pm

It was in 1978. <Ale>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fXMwkcmkzw
    Puro
    Puro

THE BEST SCOTLAND I EVER WITNESSED Empty Re: THE BEST SCOTLAND I EVER WITNESSED

Post by Puro Tue May 29, 2007 7:26 pm

lol! Some fan's comments: "As an England supporter this was some consolation for us not qualifying, watching Scotland come of the rails and that big head mcloud having to eat his words made the whole tournament worth watching. After the tournement I remember the joke going around that Mickey Mouse was seen wearing an Ally McCloud watch." lol!
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10245
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Murray Tue May 29, 2007 8:04 pm

1978 WC was a huge embarrassment. The hype was unbelievable before it started, almost as bad as with England last year, and hype was very rare in those days.

Before the WC, McLeod was asked what he was going to do after the WC, and he said "retain it". lol! lol! lol!
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Tue May 29, 2007 8:07 pm

Holland was in that group as well if I can remember. Dont know the results anymore though, only know that Gimmil scored that great goal.
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Tue May 29, 2007 8:13 pm

Murray wrote:1978 WC was a huge embarrassment. The hype was unbelievable before it started, almost as bad as with England last year, and hype was very rare in those days.

Before the WC, McLeod was asked what he was going to do after the WC, and he said "retain it". lol! lol! lol!

That Scotland team was the best I've seen, and the hype was understandable. You were in a tough group. There was Holland (best team in my opinion), and also Perú (Copa América champions).

You guys had KO England in qualifiers (if I'm correct) and said "we're gonna crush Perú the first game" or something like that. Cubillas responded "we ain't England" exactly those words. lol!
    Murray
    Murray

Post by Murray Tue May 29, 2007 8:14 pm

We beat Holland 3-2 in the last game, but wasn't enough, we had to win by 3 goals to go through.
    Murray
    Murray

Post by Murray Tue May 29, 2007 8:15 pm

Puro it was Wales we beat in the qualifiers with a dodgy penalty, not England
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Tue May 29, 2007 8:17 pm

Murray wrote:Puro it was Wales we beat in the qualifiers with a dodgy penalty, not England

Who KO England? Spain? Austria? Sweden? scratch
    Murray
    Murray

Post by Murray Tue May 29, 2007 8:19 pm

It was Italy who ko'd England
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Tue May 29, 2007 8:21 pm

Fey wrote:Holland was in that group as well if I can remember. Dont know the results anymore though, only know that Gimmil scored that great goal.

You guys had the best team in that WC 1978. I remember my friends when we played street ball and those who were late picking Perú's players would say "I'm Joengblood" or "I'm Naninga" or Neeskens, Krol. <Ale> Biggrin
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Tue May 29, 2007 8:23 pm

Murray wrote:It was Italy who ko'd England

Thanks for the knowledge Murray! <Ale>
    Rasiak-9
    Rasiak-9

Number of posts : 2605
    Supports : Southampton
    Registration date : 2007-01-17

Post by Rasiak-9 Tue May 29, 2007 11:04 pm

The interesting thing was, that the Scotland team wasn't actually that bad. Didn't they concede an absolute comedy goal though which involved Willy Miller colliding with some other defender Evra/Heinze style that led to them conceding a goal?
    Brian2468

Number of posts : 4875
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Brian2468 Wed May 30, 2007 5:16 am

What you lot may not know or forgotten.....Scotland had god awfull goalkeepers at the time we use to wait for the Scottish division 1 TV clips to come on to be entertained .. Very Happy
    Rasiak-9
    Rasiak-9

Number of posts : 2605
    Supports : Southampton
    Registration date : 2007-01-17

Post by Rasiak-9 Wed May 30, 2007 11:21 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy-kBb9eAEs

2nd goal!
    Murray
    Murray

Post by Murray Wed May 30, 2007 3:16 pm

Rasiak-9 wrote:The interesting thing was, that the Scotland team wasn't actually that bad. Didn't they concede an absolute comedy goal though which involved Willy Miller colliding with some other defender Evra/Heinze style that led to them conceding a goal?

That was in 1982 against the USSR. Alan Hansen ran into Willie Miller and gifted the Soviets a goal. Was totally Hansen's fault.
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Wed May 30, 2007 11:01 pm

Murray wrote:
    That was in 1982 against the USSR. Alan Hansen ran into Willie Miller and gifted the Soviets a goal. Was totally Hansen's fault.

That was another good team you had, but I think your 1978 team was better. You were so close to reaching the next round.

We were in the group of death. Cameroon was a really really good team. Italia became champions, and Poland "only" finished third in '82 WC. After our match against Italia, it is said our players partied hard and fucked everything that moved in Vigo and La Coruña.

Going toe to toe with Italia made us believe we were invincible. We had chances to kill off Italia, and understand why we felt invincible, totally underestimating our next opponents Poland. Them Poles crushed us 5-1, and went on to finish 3rd overall. That group of Perú, Italia, Poland, and Cameroon in WC 1982 has been the mother of all groups of death. <Ale>
    Knoblauch

Number of posts : 592
    Supports : Sport Lisboa e Benfica
    Favourite Player : Lazer Markovic
    Registration date : 2007-03-01

Post by Knoblauch Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:53 pm

Are you sure Poland finished third in '82? I thought that they finished third in '74.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:18 pm

Johninho wrote:Are you sure Poland finished third in '82? I thought that they finished third in '74.

They finished third in 1982 as well.
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:30 pm

Johninho wrote:Are you sure Poland finished third in '82? I thought that they finished third in '74.

Yes! them Poles back them were awesome. They had Boniek, Szarmach, and the goalie was ace as well (name?).

I have never seen a group of death like that one from WC 1982 in any international competition (country or club). They were all evenly matched, and they were all really tough teams. Peru and Cameroon would've made it out of any other group for sure, guaranteed. <Ale>

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:18 am