Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+87
Chris 23*
ERIK LAMELA
worms rises
Pirlo
OP9
the real white worm
The Chosen Glenn
110%
Luis
Romford Pele
worms.
messiah
TITO
Jaime
Effenberg
Pras_tama
Brian 2468
Xavier
blutgraetsche
Allez les rouges
Isco Benny
Aristoskank
debaser
Matt_AFC
Lusitan
The Easter Bunny
L r dd
QOTSA
Super Progress
mongrel hawk
TheCrazy58
Hem fet un mal partit
Yef
TM
stinger
Juligen
Batman
forza_rossi
DeLux
ronnies teeth
Puro
Riviera
lampiao007
bluenine
Deano
COTR
hammer_jake
Black Magic
christmasborocooper
Chocolate Thunder
Dwarf
fcb
Calidad
BoBo Vieri 32
Fade out
Deluded F*ck™
S4P
EM Seleção e Selecção
Pierre Littbarski
Parks lives
Kroos
Glenarch of the Glen
toon h
The Pröfessör
Chap
Napoléon
Khadrim
Murray
Historicus
Sgoater1
Kimbo
L.r.d
Brian2468
Cesc Soler
Fey
Sheffield gunner
Rosicky
Ricardo Jol
Stiftung Haeschentest
Hlebagone
Lesley
Ballboy Thomas Müller
monty
Axeslammer
SuperMario
Enigma
EMP
91 posters

International Friendlies Thread

S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

International Friendlies Thread - Page 23 Empty Re: International Friendlies Thread

Post by S4P Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Justice for Goldado wrote:The Copa America is just as prestigious as the Euros even though you might be right in saying that in the past it was slightly easier to win it but now I honestly don't think it is.

11 of the last 12 have been won by Argentina, Brazil or Uruguay. Can you honestly see any other nation winning the next one?
    worms.

Number of posts : 5010
    Supports : BALENCE, PROGRESS, Us(Liverpool), Us(Barcelona) ,Us(Lazio), Us(Napoli), Us(Athletic Club), Us(Valencia), Us(Zenit St Petersburg), Us(Russia), Us(Uruguay), Us(España)!
    Favourite Player : Goldado,Zlatan,Robben aka The Bald Prince, Busquets has now won the Euro's x1, World Cup x1, La Liga x3, UCL x2, Coppa DR x2, UEFA SC x2, Club World Cup x2. At the age of 23
    Registration date : 2011-12-07

International Friendlies Thread - Page 23 Empty Re: International Friendlies Thread

Post by worms. Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Disco Benny wrote:Give over, the 2011 Copa America was a snoozefest. I am fully aware of the history and brilliance of South American teams and players, but fanboys who try and paint it out as some kind of joga bonito utopia are deluding themselves. By the way, South American teams didnt do all that well in 2010 World Cup, the only side who performed to par or above were Chile. Uruguay should have been eliminated by Ghana, eventually beaten in play off game by Germany. Brazil were thoroughly underwhelming throughout and Argentina were a tactical mess. Europe definitely ruled the roost at 2010.

The excitement of a football tournament isn't necessarily indicative of the quality of a football tournament.

Stop trying to twist my words again,I didn't say it was exciting I said it was a tournament with lots of quality on a tactical and technical level.
    worms.

Supports : BALENCE, PROGRESS, Us(Liverpool), Us(Barcelona) ,Us(Lazio), Us(Napoli), Us(Athletic Club), Us(Valencia), Us(Zenit St Petersburg), Us(Russia), Us(Uruguay), Us(España)!
    Favourite Player : Goldado,Zlatan,Robben aka The Bald Prince, Busquets has now won the Euro's x1, World Cup x1, La Liga x3, UCL x2, Coppa DR x2, UEFA SC x2, Club World Cup x2. At the age of 23

Post by worms. Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:34 pm

S4P wrote:
    Justice for Goldado wrote:The Copa America is just as prestigious as the Euros even though you might be right in saying that in the past it was slightly easier to win it but now I honestly don't think it is.

11 of the last 12 have been won by Argentina, Brazil or Uruguay. Can you honestly see any other nation winning the next one?

Can you honestly see anybody else apart from us(Spain),Germany or maybe Holland win this years Euros? You see two can play at that game.It's like people who say La Liga is a "Two horse race" when the DPL is the exact same nearly every single year.

No,only because we(Uruguay),Argentina and Brazil are all top quality(top7 in the world) and have the potential to be even better by 2015.Chile might have a outside chance,but the lower placed South American teams are better than the similarly placed European ones imo.
    worms.

Post by worms. Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:37 pm

Disco Benny wrote:Give over, the 2011 Copa America was a snoozefest. I am fully aware of the history and brilliance of South American teams and players, but fanboys who try and paint it out as some kind of joga bonito utopia are deluding themselves. By the way, South American teams didnt do all that well in 2010 World Cup, the only side who performed to par or above were Chile. Uruguay should have been eliminated by Ghana, eventually beaten in play off game by Germany. Brazil were thoroughly underwhelming throughout and Argentina were a tactical mess. Europe definitely ruled the roost at 2010.

We were the better team against Ghana,even though the officials were blatantly favoring the African team.We should have had 2 blatant penaltys and the freekick which led to the Suarez incident was a blatant dive and a blatant corrupt decision by the linesman to give it.
    S4P
    S4P

Post by S4P Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:38 pm

Justice for Goldado wrote:
    S4P wrote:

Can you honestly see anybody else apart from us(Spain),Germany or maybe Holland win this years Euros?

Yes
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by The Easter Bunny Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:43 pm

S4P wrote:
    S4P wrote:

Can you honestly see anybody else apart from us(Spain),Germany or maybe Holland win this years Euros?

Yes

I don't think Holland will do that well, if Italys attack click, if Frances works as a cohesive unit, if Ronaldo performs for Portugal fuck it, if England get lucky using the counter and are clinical enough who knows what could happen. But yeah, i'd say there are at-least 6 quality teams in the Euros who could win, Italy, Portugal, France, Spain, Germany and Holland.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:47 pm

S4P wrote:
    S4P wrote:

Yes

Indeed.

Italy, France are more capable. Portugal always dark horse.
    worms.

Post by worms. Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:53 pm

The Easter Bunny wrote:
    S4P wrote:
    S4P wrote:

Yes

I don't think Holland will do that well, if Italys attack click, if Frances works as a cohesive unit, if Ronaldo performs for Portugal fuck it, if England get lucky using the counter and are clinical enough who knows what could happen. But yeah, i'd say there are at-least 6 quality teams in the Euros who could win, Italy, Portugal, France, Spain, Germany and Holland.

Portugal are shit,Italy are average,France are pretty good but I don't think they're good enough to win it.You are like the DPL fans who say us,Arsenal and Tottenham are challangeing for the title every year.Of course this is a cup competition so they could get lucky,but it's very very unlikely.
    worms.

Post by worms. Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:55 pm

Tell me this isn't a blatant dive and isn't blatantly biased officiating,this is the dive which won the free kick that led to the Suarez incident:

The amount of help Ghana got in that game was DISGUSTING and they still couldn't beat us.
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Post by The Easter Bunny Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:58 pm

The Easter Bunny wrote:
    S4P wrote:
    S4P wrote:

Yes

Portugal are shit,Italy are average,France are pretty good but I don't think they're good enough to win it.You are like the DPL fans who say us,Arsenal and Tottenham are challangeing for the title every year.Of course this is a cup competition so they could get lucky,but it's very very unlikely.

Again you did not read my post properly, I said the factors that could allow these teams to win, if you had bothered to read my post you would of seen these. Just look at Greece 2004, you don't need to have the best team to win.
    worms.

Post by worms. Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:00 pm

The Easter Bunny wrote:
    The Easter Bunny wrote:
    S4P wrote:
    S4P wrote:

Yes

Again you did not read my post properly, I said the factors that could allow these teams to win, if you had bothered to read my post you would of seen these. Just look at Greece 2004, you don't need to have the best team to win.

Well it's possible for nearly any team to win a cup competition,it doesn't prove how good a tournament is.Paraguay got to the final last year and the QF of the world cup.
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Post by The Easter Bunny Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:15 pm

The Easter Bunny wrote:
    The Easter Bunny wrote:
    S4P wrote:
    S4P wrote:

Yes

Well it's possible for nearly any team to win a cup competition,it doesn't prove how good a tournament is.Paraguay got to the final last year and the QF of the world cup.

scratch I was not even talking about how good the tournament is, I was debating the point you made in bold. Do you bother reading posts?
    S4P
    S4P

Post by S4P Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:29 pm

The Easter Bunny wrote:
    S4P wrote:
    S4P wrote:

Yes

This is the same France that beat Germany in Berlin not too long ago. Spain/Germany/Holland are the favourites, but the Euros regularly throws up a dark horse or two (in the last 2 you've had Greece win it in '04 as well as Turkey & Russia reach the SF in '08).

I see 6 possible winners:

Spain
    Holland
    Germany
    France
    Italy
    Portugal (if Ronaldo brings his club scoring form to the international stage).
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:42 pm

The Easter Bunny wrote:
    S4P wrote:
    S4P wrote:

Yes

Good God. This is nothing like the DPL which is a league competition over 36 games. Greece won this competition as rank outsiders 2 competitions ago. Denmark managed it in the 90s. There hasnt been a back to back winner in its recent history. Its thus very different to the DPL.
    worms.

Post by worms. Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:25 pm

Portugal Razz Just by you saying Portugal I can tell you are having me on.
    TITO
    TITO

Number of posts : 3155
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by TITO Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:38 pm

What a goal from Dos Santos, we should buy him back immediately.
    Rosicky
    Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
    Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
    Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:40 pm

Rosicky wrote:Worms have you even been to South America or are you just another north west European glory hunter?

ANSWER ME Grr
    Rosicky
    Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
    Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
    Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 pm

TITO wrote:What a goal from Dos Santos, we should buy him back immediately.

Oh please it was a fluke. It was for sure a cross.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:53 pm

Would love him to succeed at Spurs, but he has a work ethic problem (ie he is lazy) and given Barca's incredible pressing intensity off the ball, I sincerely doubt you would play him much either

worms.

Post by worms. Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:59 pm

Rosicky wrote:
    Rosicky wrote:Worms have you even been to South America or are you just another north west European glory hunter?

ANSWER ME Grr

Yes as I have said before on here I went to Copa America 1995 which we won.I went to our matches vs Bolivia and Columbia but unfortunetly couldn't get tickets for the final.
    OP9
    OP9

Number of posts : 1476
    Supports : Tigres, Leverkusen, Mexico
    Favourite Player : Dzeko, Cristiano Ronaldo, Gio Dos Santos, Ibisevic, Memo Ochoa, Begovic, OP9
    Registration date : 2006-09-18

Post by OP9 Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:01 pm

Last copa america was total shit, even the gold cup was better.
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Post by The Easter Bunny Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:27 pm

Rosicky wrote:

ANSWER ME Grr

Yes as I have said before on here I went to Copa America 1995 which we won.I went to our matches vs Bolivia and Columbia but unfortunetly couldn't get tickets for the final.

Wouldn't you have been 2 in 1995?
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:28 pm

Disco Benny wrote:

Would love him to succeed at Spurs, but he has a work ethic problem (ie he is lazy) and given Barca's incredible pressing intensity off the ball, I sincerely doubt you would play him much either

He's not lazy at all. Ok he's no Park JS or Kuyt but that's not the reason why he gets picked. Hard to judge him on what was less than an hour of Prem football.
    TITO
    TITO

Number of posts : 3155

Post by TITO Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:56 pm

Deluded F*ck™ wrote:
    Disco Benny wrote:

He's not lazy at all. Ok he's no Park JS or Kuyt but that's not the reason why he gets picked. Hard to judge him on what was less than an hour of Prem football.

Jaime,

Please help!
    messiah
    messiah

Number of posts : 3084
    Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:20 pm

how the hell does one compare south america a continent of I think 10 countries and europe of course thier will be more countries that r capable of winning the euros, its simples math. i am certain fi one were to do some simple ratio. it would show that mathematically speaking, if we are using potential winners as the basis to show competitiveness, the euros are no more competitive than the copa. 3 in ten, 5 in 16. it pretty simple shit actually. people on here and thier poorly thoughtout agendas
    worms.

Post by worms. Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:34 pm

messiah wrote:how the hell does one compare south america a continent of I think 10 countries and europe of course thier will be more countries that r capable of winning the euros, its simples math. i am certain fi one were to do some simple ratio. it would show that mathematically speaking, if we are using potential winners as the basis to show competitiveness, the euros are no more competitive than the copa. 3 in ten, 5 in 16. it pretty simple shit actually. people on here and thier poorly thoughtout agendas

<Ale>
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:57 am

TITO wrote:
    Deluded F*ck™️ wrote:
    Disco Benny wrote:

Jaime,

Please help!

Laughing

Giovani "The New Messi" Dos Santos....I think the big thing with him (and his brother for that matter) is that he does not have the mentality to succeed at the highest level. He has footballing ability but he is not as good as what he thinks he is in his own head and on top of that he is not a good professional, spent too much time with Ronaldinho in his good old last days of partying in Barcelona.

He is prone to some very special moments but that is it, they are just moments. He doesn't work hard enough on the pitch to play on the wings, maybe he could play in the hole behind a centre forward. But if you look at it, the only place he has been where he has been automatic in the coach's XI is Racing Santander. Says it all really.
    messiah
    messiah

Number of posts : 3084
    Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:08 am

thought it was the new ronaldinho, Dos santos biggest flaw is that at a critical point in his career he had the worst agent ever, who was only in it for the money.

he has what it takes for any team in the 4-8 position in any league and his best position since he game on the scene was always in the hole.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:33 am

Deluded F*ck™ wrote:
    Disco Benny wrote:

Did you not watch him in the Europa League? Aside from the rumours that he doesnt take training seriously, against Shamrock/the Greeks he was guilty of losing the ball and then making no attempt to track back. That wouldnt cut it at Barcelona. Looking at our own midfield that clearly isnt tolerated either when you consider the likes of Nodric lennon and Bale will fall back quickly when losing possession.
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:34 pm

messiah wrote:how the hell does one compare south america a continent of I think 10 countries and europe of course thier will be more countries that r capable of winning the euros, its simples math. i am certain fi one were to do some simple ratio. it would show that mathematically speaking, if we are using potential winners as the basis to show competitiveness, the euros are no more competitive than the copa. 3 in ten, 5 in 16. it pretty simple shit actually. people on here and thier poorly thoughtout agendas

not that I want to get involved with any pointless discussion based on what is worms definition of elite, but please can you leave "simple maths" alone

For a start the copa america has 12 teams so your simple maths is a bit wrong. Also the euros start with 51 teams in the qualifying, even though the tournament does start with 16.

Analysing the results is far from simple maths as all sorts of factors come into play, not least the strength of teams, injuries to key players, quality of managers, draws in terms of groups and different stages, how different teams cope with different systems and so on.

Simple maths will tell you though that copa america is easier to win as there are only 12 teams in it, only 4 teams out of the 12 are knocked out in the group stages so you'd have to be really shit to not get into the quarter-finals, and after that in three 1-off elimination matches anyone can chelsea it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:10 am