Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Jaime
fcb
Sgoater1
Luis
L r dd
debaser
Khadrim
forza_rossi
Hlebagone
Glenarch of the Glen
Deluded F*ck™
15 posters

Can anyone stop Aston Villa from winning the EPL ???

Poll

Will The Prem trophy be hoisted by Stiliyan Petrov come May???

[ 3 ]
    Can anyone stop Aston Villa from winning the EPL ??? Bar_left23%Can anyone stop Aston Villa from winning the EPL ??? Bar_right [23%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Can anyone stop Aston Villa from winning the EPL ??? Bar_left8%Can anyone stop Aston Villa from winning the EPL ??? Bar_right [8%] 
    [ 9 ]
    Can anyone stop Aston Villa from winning the EPL ??? Bar_left69%Can anyone stop Aston Villa from winning the EPL ??? Bar_right [69%] 

Total Votes: 13
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Can anyone stop Aston Villa from winning the EPL ??? Empty Can anyone stop Aston Villa from winning the EPL ???

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:46 pm

Unbeaten in all 3 BIG EIGHT matches that they've had so far this season, with victories over Liverpool & Chelsea, & a draw against Middle Eastlands, plus they won the second city derby on hostile territory.

Once they sort out the irritating habit of losing matches that they should win at a canter (Wigan-h, Blackburn-a) then I reckon only a Bent Darren + a balloon can stop them from winning the title that Big Ron so nearly won for them back in '92.

And yes, MON is, was, and forever will be, a DISGRACE Grr

Last edited by MadVillain™ on Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Can anyone stop Aston Villa from winning the EPL ??? Empty Re: Can anyone stop Aston Villa from winning the EPL ???

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:04 am

ok

it's a 3 horse race between Villa, Man City and Spuuuuuuuuuuuurs

Manchester United will get to the final of the Carling Cup and the FA Cup and finish 5th in the league mainly thanks to Fergle's ban and Mike Phelan taking over on EPL matchdays

Liverpool will sack Benitez and bring in Gordon Strachan who will save them from relegation on the final day of the season.

Arsenal will finish 6th, but the emerging Wishere, Vela and Romeo Beckham will convince Gooners that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Chelsea will capitulate in January when Drogba, Essien, Kalou and Mikel participate in the African Nations, while the rest of the squad fly to Angola to cheer them on. They finish 4th and win the Champions League.

If Villa had a much better squad and manager I would make them clear favourites, my main concern though is that a lot of their players are ordinary, and a lot of them are just shite.
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
    Registration date : 2007-03-17

Can anyone stop Aston Villa from winning the EPL ??? Empty Re: Can anyone stop Aston Villa from winning the EPL ???

Post by Hlebagone Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:59 am

lol!
    forza_rossi
    forza_rossi

Number of posts : 2563

Post by forza_rossi Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:25 am

Glenn ur such a legend lol!
    Khadrim
    Khadrim

Number of posts : 1719
    Supports : Fulham soft spot for Liverpool, Newcastle, Wolfsburg, Rubin Kazan
    Favourite Player : Paintsil, Barry, Iniesta, Ozil
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by Khadrim Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:48 am

Aston Villa, set-pieces and counter-attack. A poor man's Brazil.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:19 pm

:villaforthetitle:
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:57 pm

C'mon, if you can seriously ask the question of Spurs & Man City, why not Sunderland & Villa? No Europe for them either.
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:32 pm

MadVillain™️ wrote:C'mon, if you can seriously ask the question of Spurs & Man City, why not Sunderland & Villa? No Europe for them either.

I'm happy for us to stay under the radar. Last year we were the only team in striking distance of top four come January, and got all the attention - and subsequently messed up. If there's two or three others tagging along and we stay about where we are now, it could get very interesting. Have shown we can get results against top 4 (think we've already got more points than managed last season against them!), just need to show consistency in the Blackburn, Wigan type games.

I do think we're in stronger position to last the distance now - particularly with Downing to come in and more rotation - last yr was pretty much same XI all season. Now we've got enough strength that could put out a decent second XI.

e.g. these didn't start Saturday:

Guzan
    L.Young-Beye-Davies-Shorey/Bouma
    Albrighton-ReoCoker-Delph-Downing
    Heskey-Delfouneso

I think that's stronger than Spurs, Everton, Sunderland or L'pool could offer as 2nd XI (but willing to be proved wrong - can't be bothered to work them out).

Also have good team spirit by most accounts (except maybe Coker!) and several players who should be pushing hard to get in England squad.
    L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by L r dd Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:37 pm

MadVillain™️ wrote:C'mon, if you can seriously ask the question of Spurs & Man City, why not Sunderland & Villa? No Europe for them either.

scratch
    Eh i can think of a few reasons TS.

@ Debaser roughly from my head.

Cudicini

Hutton--Woodgate--Dawson--Bale

--Bentley---Palacious--Someone--Modric

---------Pav----Crouch

all didn't start. and that's a different league to the villa team you just put.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:05 pm

I think

5.City
    6.Spurs
    7.Villa
    8.Everton/Sunderland
    9.Sunderland/Everton
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:38 pm

L r dd wrote:

scratch

Cudicini

---------Pav----Crouch

Okay, on technicality that two of their best starters happen to be missing.

If Palacios + Modric replaced by Krancjar + Jenas, and Someone = Dos Santos (they don't have many other mids), I don't think there's a whole heap of difference.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City

Post by Sgoater1 Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:54 pm

Us and Villa both unbeaten over 90 mins against the other top 8 teams its good to see.

Last edited by Sgoater1 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:00 pm

debaser wrote:
    L r dd wrote:

scratch

Cudicini

---------Pav----Crouch

If Palacios + Modric replaced by Krancjar + Jenas, and Someone = Dos Santos (they don't have many other mids), I don't think there's a whole heap of difference.

Still a big difference IMO. Any defense with Woodgate in it becomes Top 4 quality. Midfields both have strengths and weaknesses, neither impresses too much. Spurs attack is much much better.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:11 pm

debaser wrote:
    L r dd wrote:

scratch

Cudicini

---------Pav----Crouch

Yeah i do think Spurs have a stronger second Xl but its never going to happen that al 11 first choice players will be out and i dont think there is a massive difference between Villa and Spurs in terms of starting Xl.

I think the title is down to Chelsea and U*d but the race for the remaining spots will be very interesting. Sunderland have started well but i dont think they will finish higher than 8th/9th....unless they suddenly spent big in January and even still i think it would be tough for them. Its very harsh but they are relaying heavily on Bent's goals and if they dried up, they might struggle to keep up.
    Liverpool better pray Gerrard and Torres dont suffer long term injuries cos they depend so heavily on those two players.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:19 pm

I don't think Liverpool's problem this season is Gerrard/Torres dependency. Neither have been in great form. It wasn't last season either, at least statistically. Their problems are mainly with the defense which isn't reliable like it used to be, and of course the central midfield, which is visibly broken since their play doesn't flow like it did last year.
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:22 pm

kas wrote:
    debaser wrote:
    L r dd wrote:

scratch

Cudicini

---------Pav----Crouch

Still a big difference IMO. Any defense with Woodgate in it becomes Top 4 quality.

I'd rather have our back five there than theirs. Woodgate's the only one I'd take in preference..Cudicini seems iffy these days and Guzan has impressed me. I'd rather the experience/consistency of Young + Bouma over Hutton + Bale - although they have more potential. And Dawson is just the white Zat Knight.

But I do admit, I am biased in these proceedings Smiley
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:24 pm

kas wrote:I don't think Liverpool's problem this season is Gerrard/Torres dependency. Neither have been in great form. It wasn't last season either, at least statistically. Their problems are mainly with the defense which isn't reliable like it used to be, and of course the central midfield, which is visibly broken since their play doesn't flow like it did last year.

cheers

Let's talk about the Xabi Alonso problem, the importance of Torrard and Glen Johnson's defensive frailties.

It is, after all, the :villaforthetitle: thread Smile
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:34 pm

Fine, be picky Rolling Eyes

http://europeanboard.ephpbb.com/european-leagues-f4/too-quiet-t20770.htm
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Post by Sgoater1 Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:39 pm

kas wrote:I don't think Liverpool's problem this season is Gerrard/Torres dependency. Neither have been in great form. It wasn't last season either, at least statistically. Their problems are mainly with the defense which isn't reliable like it used to be, and of course the central midfield, which is visibly broken since their play doesn't flow like it did last year.

They have big problems at the back as over the last number of years they have always had a defence they can depend on to keep it tight, this is no long ther case....whilst its obvious they are missing Xabi in the centre of midfield. The thing with Torres and Gerrard is that without them i think it knocks the belief of the other players and also gives a big lift to the opposition. Torres and Gerrard might not be top of their game but they have still been on decent form this season and scored 11 of Liverpool's 22 league goals this season.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:47 pm

@debaser

Is Carlos Cuellar featuring at all?
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:28 pm

Jaime wrote:@debaser

Is Carlos Cuellar featuring at all?

Yeah he's started every match. Been shunted to RB since we signed Dunne + Collins (MON has a long-term issue with putting people out of position at RB!).

His problem will probably be that Dunne+Collins have settled in so quickly and are clearly now first choice CB pairing. Not sure what will happen when L.Young is fit again, but I'd guess he'll keep his place as long as team is winning..he's been playing fine in general, looking better this season than last.
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:34 pm

kas wrote:Fine, be picky Rolling Eyes

http://europeanboard.ephpbb.com/european-leagues-f4/too-quiet-t20770.htm

Okay Smile

If I hadn't responded, you wouldn't have posted that and I wouldn't have posted this.

Ergo, I gained the forum 3 posts cheers
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:37 pm

Cuellar seemed abysmal going forward the other day. Couldnt pass to someone 5 yards away.

Is he always that bad?
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:39 pm

He is not a good attacking player. So, yes -but this is why he is a CB in general!

He is still a solid defender at RB, for the most part.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:49 pm

Cuellar on the board... 5-1 Ale

Villa for the title cheers