Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Super Progress
Dualist
EM Seleção e Selecção
Aristoskank
bluenine
Kimbo
fcb
Puro
Murray
Hlebagone
Calidad
L r dd
Pierre Littbarski
17 posters

Tim Vickery's South American XI of the decade

Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Tim Vickery's South American XI of the decade Empty Tim Vickery's South American XI of the decade

Post by Pierre Littbarski Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:44 pm

...................Dida..................

Cafu...Hurtado...Lucio...Carlos

..Mascherano....Edison Mendez

.........Riquelme....Kaka...........

...Augustin Delgado....Ronaldo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2009/12/a_south_american_team_for_the.html
    L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Tim Vickery's South American XI of the decade Empty Re: Tim Vickery's South American XI of the decade

Post by L r dd Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:47 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:...................Dida..................

Cafu...Hurtado...Lucio...Carlos

..Mascherano....Edison Mendez

.........Riquelme....Kaka...........

...Augustin Delgado....Ronaldo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2009/12/a_south_american_team_for_the.html

Shocked
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Tim Vickery's South American XI of the decade Empty Re: Tim Vickery's South American XI of the decade

Post by Calidad Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:24 pm

I know Mendez has been a good performer for Ecuador, not sure I'd take him over Ronaldinho though?

Post by Guest Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:29 pm

i'm surprised he didn't pick dinho, after all he was the one who said if dinho Starred won the 06 WC, he would be right up their with Pele
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
    Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:37 pm

He did give his criteria and explain why he didn't pick Dinho. Kind of a fair point, but limits him in being able to select any Argentinian players.
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10245

Post by Murray Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:37 pm

This comment must be Puro

18. At 12:32pm on 28 Dec 2009, Sergio Lahaye wrote:
    What about Nolberto Solano and Claudio Pizarro?
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Calidad wrote:I know Mendez has been a good performer for Ecuador, not sure I'd take him over Ronaldinho though?

I don't think anyone would take him over Ronaldinho - Riquelme and Kaka have been taken over Ronaldinho.

That's kind of why I like his XI - it does fit as a team.
    Puro
    Puro

Number of posts : 10679
    Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:02 pm

------------------------------------Dida----------------------------------------

------Cafú---------------Ayala---------------Lucio--------------Roberto Carlos

---------------------------------Mascherano-----------------------------------

------Ñol------------------------------------------------------Kaká-----------

---------------------------------Riquelme--------------------------------------

------------------Ronaldo-----------------------Ronaldinho----------------
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:04 pm

Murray wrote:This comment must be Puro

No, Murray. That's not me. Whoever it is, he knows his football really well. <Ale>
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:17 am

His team is more or less accurate, but having 3 Ecuadoreans in there (along with a more predictable 6 Brazilians and 2 Argentinians) is a bit odd. I'd definitely put Ayala in, at least.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:14 am

Murray wrote:This comment must be Puro

Solano would be a better pick than Mascherano.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:12 am

To me, Cesar has done more in the last 3-4 years than what Dida did in a decade. I rate Dida, but he makes too many mistakes... if Dida had been the 2002 first choice keeper, I would ve given him the edge over Cesar for achievements, but he was just a passenger in that winning campaign.

The RB spot is the most contested one for me - two living legends of the game. If I had to pick one, I would take Zanetti over Cafu as a personal choice... both have been exceptional over the years, the most capped players for their respective nations. My only point of arguement is that the best of Cafu was in the 90s, while Zanetti has been exceptional in this entire decade. THE most consistent player over the last 10 years, year in year out, he has to be there. So I am taking the easy way out, sticking both of them in the team. They deserve to be there more than most.

Cesar
    Cafu - Ayala - Lucio - Carlos
    Zanetti - Mascherano
    Ronaldinho - Riquelme - Kaka
    Ronaldo
    Admittedly, I don't watch south american football... this is a selection from an european point of view. Not surprisingly, hence, that you only see Brasilians and Argies in it.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:34 am

Delgado should have got the same treatment as Andres Escobar.
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

Yo Murray! I think that guy's from Paraguay. You should invite him to these messageboards, he'd be a very good addition. We need to know more about Paraguayans like Cardozo, Vera...also while you're at it, invite Tim Vickery too. He'd learn a few things about South American football in the European board. lol!

And, speaking of such, we should rename the fucker to the 'Global Football Board'. <Ale>
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:14 pm

I'm still not sure why Mascherano has such a big reputation. scratch
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 pm

Kimbo wrote:I'm still not sure why Mascherano has such a big reputation. scratch

He good, Kimbo bro. He good, really good especially when playing with his fellow Argies.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:24 pm

Puro wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:I'm still not sure why Mascherano has such a big reputation. scratch

He good, Kimbo bro. He good, really good especially when playing with his fellow Argies.

So he's really good for 6 games a year? I don't think he's bad player, I just think he is a clogger, he's there to chase people and occasionally throw himself at them.
    EM Seleção e Selecção
    EM Seleção e Selecção

Number of posts : 2495
    Supports : Portugal Brasil Africa
    Favourite Player : Ronaldo Zidane Dinho Figo CR Robinho Neymar Hazard
    Registration date : 2007-11-22

Post by EM Seleção e Selecção Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:21 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nj4Asd2gVw
    Dualist

Number of posts : 408
    Registration date : 2009-09-15

Post by Dualist Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:39 pm

Full respects to Vickery.but I would have the jewel of last decade... awesomest player, best of the decade on his day with due respect to Zidane, ronaldo, rivaldo, messi, etc.If there was ever a more talented player (he did throw it away!! Sad ) last decade let me know: