Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
rosenthal
Puro
blutgraetsche
The Pröfessör
Deluded F*ck™
christmasborocooper
debaser
shazlx
Murray
Kimbo
TheCrazy58
Brian 2468
The Chosen Glenn
Brian2468
Isco Benny
Fey
Luis
21 posters

Premier League Fixtures 19/20/21 October 2013

Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Premier League Fixtures 19/20/21 October 2013 - Page 6 Empty Re: Premier League Fixtures 19/20/21 October 2013

Post by Romford Pele Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:33 am

People argue that there isn’t a standout team in the EPL, but i’d say the overall quality has improved. Teams like Southampton/Swansea/WBA are a perfect case in point here. It’s very hard to roll over teams these days. Every team has at least one threat you have to be wary of. And with the advancements in technology/tactics – teams who only play once a week are better prepared for the big guns.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Premier League Fixtures 19/20/21 October 2013 - Page 6 Empty Re: Premier League Fixtures 19/20/21 October 2013

Post by Super Progress Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:47 pm

Nah because neither of Man Utd, Chelsea or City look like settled teams yet and they are the sides with the best quality. I'm still expecting that 1/2 of those sides to get their act together and that we will see a more conventional title chase in a couple of months.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:57 pm

Super Laudrup wrote:Nah because neither of Man Utd, Chelsea or City look like settled teams yet and they are the sides with the best quality. I'm still expecting that 1/2 of those sides to get their act together and that we will see a more conventional title chase in a couple of months.
    The top sides getting beaten is nothing new though. This has happened for a few years now. With the new TV deals, you have clubs like Southampton that can buy Osvaldo and Ramirez. Norwich have Ricky Van Wollfswinkel. You get the drift. I do expect the aforementioned three to improve but when you have clubs like L'Pool who aren't in Europe and have Sturridge, Suarez playing one game per week, it's evident to see that the competition has improved overall. The only really rubbish club in this league are Palace. Maybe Cardiff too though they have pulled off a few shocks already.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:06 pm

Romford Pele wrote:
    Super Laudrup wrote:Nah because neither of Man Utd, Chelsea or City look like settled teams yet and they are the sides with the best quality. I'm still expecting that 1/2 of those sides to get their act together and that we will see a more conventional title chase in a couple of months.
    The top sides getting beaten is nothing new though. This has happened for a few years now. With the new TV deals, you have clubs like Southampton that can buy Osvaldo and Ramirez. Norwich have Ricky Van Wollfswinkel. You get the drift. I do expect the aforementioned three to improve but when you have clubs like L'Pool who aren't in Europe and have Sturridge, Suarez playing one game per week, it's evident to see that the competition has improved overall. The only really rubbish club in this league are Palace. Maybe Cardiff too though they have pulled off a few shocks already.
    I think Sunderland with the worst start since PL began have got to count as rubbish! they got Giaccherini (who surely made one of the worst moves imaginable - Juve to Sunderland scratch ) and Fletcher, who'll score goals, but precious little other quality.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Sunderland are dreadful right now but they have some good players. Fletcher, Johnson, Giaccherini, Larsson. Not great but should be doing better than they are for sure.
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Johnson's been cack for a few seasons now. Larsson is set pieces and little else. Really their squad is an unholy mixture of past-it/bog-standard PL players and unproven/new to the league. Poyet got a helluva job to make a team out of that lot.

if Fletcher starts scoring and a few of the newbies click they might be okay but otherwise they'll be staying in the bottom 3 all season..
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:27 pm

Romford Pele wrote:
    My point is not that the top sides are getting beaten but that they don't look like established sides yet.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:34 pm

Well, even if they don't look like 'established sides' yet, both Chelsea and Man City are winning (most of) their matches and are close to the top of the table, while Man United are lost somewhere in the nether regions. Yes, they had a more difficult schedule, but there really is no guarantee that they'll steamroll the smaller sides they're going to face in the coming weeks. By then, the gap to the top could be too big.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:45 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Well, even if they don't look like 'established sides' yet, both Chelsea and Man City are winning (most of) their matches and are close to the top of the table, while Man United are lost somewhere in the nether regions. Yes, they had a more difficult schedule, but there really is no guarantee that they'll steamroll the smaller sides they're going to face in the coming weeks. By then, the gap to the top could be too big.
    This was my point. There's no guarantee that even when they reach full form that they'll be able to dispatch these sorts of teams.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:48 pm

debaser wrote:Johnson's been cack for a few seasons now. Larsson is set pieces and little else. Really their squad is an unholy mixture of past-it/bog-standard PL players and unproven/new to the league. Poyet got a helluva job to make a team out of that lot.

if Fletcher starts scoring and a few of the newbies click they might be okay but otherwise they'll be staying in the bottom 3 all season..
    I'd take their squad over Palace, Cardiff, Hull and even Stoke to be honest. As I said, their squad isn't great but you can still eek out a lot more than what's being shown currently.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Isco Benny wrote:Come on, you have to admit, that's rather impressive aim cheers

And before jizz monkeys like you get on your high horse, the 2 guys involved were shopped to the police with the help of other Spurs fans and have since been arrested.
    lol!

You massive Jewdeasaurus Rex! That's even worse! Betraying your own fans...only one group of people eh!
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:37 pm

I thought a point was probably a fair result in the end in our match, though had Newcastle won I wouldn't have had any complaints. We were very poor until the last 15 minutes or so. First Half we offered nothing going forward and the red card/penalty was a complete blessing for us. I thought we'd go on to win by a few but our attitude didn't change in the second half, we looked like we had ten men at times.

Moses had an absolute stinker and in the system we are playing we can't afford for that player, the one who links midfield with attack, to be so poor with the ball. Our attack broke down countless times because he failed to find his man or got dispossessed. It emphasises how important Coutinho is to our team. I don't think Moses is comfortable playing in that position - he needs to be out wide, where Suarez plays, but because of injuries and players coming back in the formation is a bit iffy at the moment.

We're always one of those teams that look dead after an international break so I wasn't surprised but it feels like 2 points dropped because Newcastle had ten men for a half and we had enough quality on the field to be able to pick up the 3 points from that situation.

West Brom at home has become a must win for me now because then we have Arsenal and Everton away with Fulham at home sandwiched in between. Right now Arsenal would eat us alive the way they're playing.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:41 pm

I was arguing that Romford wasn't right to say that it was a sign of quality. The best teams are playing below par with United being at their worst resultswise for some time. Perhaps United won't recover and perhaps neither of City or Chelsea will be able to get settled before the gap is too big. Either way I'm not sure we have seen any quality increase in England compared to last season among lower sides. I still expect the league to narrow down in the matter of a couple of months. And I dare say that it won't be Arsenal/Tottenham/Liverpool battling for it.
    Fey
    Fey

Post by Fey Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:44 pm

Super Laudrup wrote:I was arguing that Romford wasn't right to say that it was a sign of quality. The best teams are playing below par with United being at their worst resultswise for some time. Perhaps United won't recover and perhaps neither of City or Chelsea will be able to get settled before the gap is too big. Either way I'm not sure we have seen any quality increase in England compared to last season among lower sides. I still expect the league to narrow down in the matter of a couple of months. And I dare say that it won't be Arsenal/Tottenham/Liverpool battling for it.
    Not at all, quite the opposite. It's much less in quality. It says it all that average sides like Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool can set the standard so far.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:48 pm

Romford Pele wrote:
    debaser wrote:Johnson's been cack for a few seasons now. Larsson is set pieces and little else. Really their squad is an unholy mixture of past-it/bog-standard PL players and unproven/new to the league. Poyet got a helluva job to make a team out of that lot.

I'd take their squad over Palace, Cardiff, Hull and even Stoke to be honest. As I said, their squad isn't great but you can still eek out a lot more than what's being shown currently.
    Nah...

People continually overrate the gap between the lower mid-table of the Prem and the top 6-8 sides in the Championship.

Hull bought Tom Huddlestone (in his last fully fit season he helped Spurs into the CL), he pisses all over any of Sunderland's players quality wise. If he stays injury free they'll stay up rather comfortably. Good hungry talented players like Robbie Brady & Aluko, at this point those guys are no worse than Larsson et. al.

Cardiff have also bought wisely with players like Caulker and Medel & Odemwingie.

Palace are the worst but at least they have togetherness. Sunderland don't even have that. Poyet could well get them out of trouble but they seem to lack the players who have the heart for it. 1 goal against Swansea and they collapsed and accepted their fate. QPR written all over them.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Super Laudrup wrote:I was arguing that Romford wasn't right to say that it was a sign of quality. The best teams are playing below par with United being at their worst resultswise for some time. Perhaps United won't recover and perhaps neither of City or Chelsea will be able to get settled before the gap is too big. Either way I'm not sure we have seen any quality increase in England compared to last season among lower sides. I still expect the league to narrow down in the matter of a couple of months. And I dare say that it won't be Arsenal/Tottenham/Liverpool battling for it.
    Surely this depends on the way you look at it because everyone can twist it to suit their agenda? WBA deserved to win at OT, they were the better team whichever way you try to address it. Southampton similarly dominated at the weekend, more possession, more shots etc. When do we give them credit instead of saying that United were poor? Think you're looking at it from one side.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:52 pm

Fey wrote:
    Not at all, quite the opposite. It's much less in quality. It says it all that average sides like Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool can set the standard so far.
    Rose-tinted glasses.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Fey wrote:
    Arsenal aren't average though, they really have some genuine quality now. They actually had a good squad prior to the Özil transfer already, but Özil seems to be the missing piece of the puzzle for them, he has elevated the club.

Spurs haven't clicked yet, but I'd argue that their squad is as good as United's these days, a United without Fergie's hairdryer that is, which roughly equals 30-50% of performance increase, making truly average players like Fletcher or O'Shea look like world beaters...
    Fey
    Fey

Post by Fey Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:19 pm

Well Arsenal had a very easy programme thus far. Besides it's only oktober, in the past Arsenal used to be decent till March and then fuck it up, so let's wait and see first. So far so good, but if Ramsey can become so good, so fast, then the opposite might as happen as well. 

You are right that we have never had many worldbeaters, but OT was a fortress. And look at it now, even Maddie Mccann was safer at home then we are these days!
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Fey wrote:Well Arsenal had a very easy programme thus far. Besides it's only oktober, in the past Arsenal used to be decent till March and then fuck it up, so let's wait and see first. So far so good, but if Ramsey can become so good, so fast, then the opposite might as happen as well. 

You are right that we have never had many worldbeaters, but OT was a fortress. And look at it now, even Maddie Mccann was safer at home then we are these days!
    Exactly, let's wait and see. But to automatically dismiss someone as average when the season is barely a couple months old is wrong. I'm not saying that Arsenal will win anything. As you alluded to, we have hard fixtures coming up and it'll be then where we'll see what we're really made of. That said, there's obviously been an improvement at Arsenal. We've only lost one out of our last 23 and we've accumulated more points than anyone else in 2013. Yet again, not a guarantee that we'll win anything, but credit where credit is due.

As I said before, people will say whatever to suit their own agenda. Spurs and L'Pool have improved also. To say those teams are doing well because the others are shit is a lazy argument at best.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:59 pm

Clearly Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool have improved their squads and so have Chelsea and City. It might be that in the case of the latter they don't have the players that will come together as a better whole and then the scene is set for the former teams. But I certainly don't think the current top are of a higher level compared to previous years. It makes for interesting watching but I don't take it serious...yet.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Romford Pele wrote:
    Fey wrote:Well Arsenal had a very easy programme thus far. Besides it's only oktober, in the past Arsenal used to be decent till March and then fuck it up, so let's wait and see first. So far so good, but if Ramsey can become so good, so fast, then the opposite might as happen as well. 

Exactly, let's wait and see. But to automatically dismiss someone as average when the season is barely a couple months old is wrong. I'm not saying that Arsenal will win anything. As you alluded to, we have hard fixtures coming up and it'll be then where we'll see what we're really made of. That said, there's obviously been an improvement at Arsenal. We've only lost one out of our last 23 and we've accumulated more points than anyone else in 2013. Yet again, not a guarantee that we'll win anything, but credit where credit is due.

As I said before, people will say whatever to suit their own agenda. Spurs and L'Pool have improved also. To say those teams are doing well because the others are shit is a lazy argument at best.
    DON'T FEED THE TROLL!

Seriously though, Fey is purposefully full of shit, it's not worth engaging unless it's for hashtag top bantz. The side stinking the place out with their averageness so far this season is Man United. Without Rooney and RVP, and maybe Carrick and De Gea at a push, they'd be in the relegation zone with 2PF8G.

I don't know what you define as 'quality', whether it's teams getting better results or if it's performances, but it's clear that the league is now full of proper footballing sides, anyone who can't see the difference from 10 years ago is defunct mentally. Southampton and West Brom both been to OT and outplayed United this season. This Chelsea team have little in common with Mourinho's hoofers from 2005, even if they're not quite as good picking up results (yet). Remember when Liverpool played shit on a stick football? Now they're trying to pass teams to death. Everton have transformed under Martinez to a possession based team, some of their football this season has been beautiful. Hull with Huddlestone are nothing like the Bolton's and Blackburn's of previous seasons. All whilst the physical intensity has remained.

There is still some dross, WHam for example continue to play a 10-men behind the ball and hit it to the big man tactic, but even they have some real quality (Ravel Morrison's goal at WHL a fine example). Sunderland are a hot mess. Palace are a team of championship players playing like championship players. But it's less the norm.

The top sides in Germany and Spain have pulled away versus the top sides in England, but I defy anyone not to find this season in the EPL more exciting than it's been for years. The parity is just far more obvious, and the relatively low scoring games prove this. Blow outs are becoming more rare whilst 'shocks' are less anomalies and more the norm. Long may it continue
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:15 pm

Palace and Sunderland are hopeless. <Ale> 
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:30 pm

Feck, just seen the Fulham goals Shocked

Goal of the season contender this one:

Crystal Palace 1-1 Fulham (Amazing Goal Pajtim... by all-goals

Premier League Fixtures 19/20/21 October 2013 - Page 6 IDAMnkQQ3oR2i
    The Chosen Glenn
    The Chosen Glenn

Number of posts : 3795
    Registration date : 2012-03-22

Post by The Chosen Glenn Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:54 pm

Premier League Fixtures 19/20/21 October 2013 - Page 6 38
    Brian2468

Number of posts : 4875
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Brian2468 Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:21 am

Agree the EPL as a whole has become more competitive. As for that goal by Pajtim Kasami unreal...<Ale>

Last edited by Brian2468 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:32 am

tasty volleys
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:32 am

MJ survives again.
    Fey
    Fey

Post by Fey Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:00 pm

Sexy goal! van Basten 88 like.
    stinger

Number of posts : 6477
    Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Romford Pele wrote:

Stoke has one of the best keepers in the league plus they are still tough to breakdown. Btw, Stoke with addition of players like Giaccherini and Fletcher would be a very, very dangerous team.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 5:57 am