Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+33
TheCrazy58
Z&H
110%
robert
StevieG
Pierre Littbarski
Dwarf
Glenarch of the Glen
shazlx
Rosy
Kimbo
Deluded F*ck™
The Pröfessör
Machiavel
Hlebagone
Fey
Isco Benny
Luis
L r d hAsta LueGo
Deano
Tom
Tweesus
Football Genius
S4P
Puro
Sgoater1
SuperMario
Cesc Soler
The-Frank-Tavern
Sheffield gunner
The Bulk
DS
Black Magic
37 posters

Carling Cup Quarter Finals

Black Magic

Number of posts : 7514
    Registration date : 2007-10-14

Carling Cup Quarter Finals Empty Carling Cup Quarter Finals

Post by Black Magic Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:13 am

Tonight:

Blackburn Vs Arsenal

Man City Vs Tottenham

Wednesday:

Chelsea Vs Liverpool
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Carling Cup Quarter Finals Empty Re: Carling Cup Quarter Finals

Post by DS Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:15 am

Man City vs Tottenham would be a good game both team should believe they can win the cup.
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:17 am

DS, am I right in thinking you live in Munich?
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Number of posts : 1961
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by The Bulk Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:17 am

Black Magic wrote:Tonight:

Blackburn Vs Arsenal

Man City Vs Tottenham

Wednesday:

Chelsea Vs Liverpool

I didn’t realise there were so many juicy encounters in this competition! Don’t Blackburn hold an Indian sign over Arsenal at the moment?

The two new managers going head-to-head, too!

And Chelsea-Liverpool is obviously a great fixture as well.

I guess these games are on TV?

Last edited by on Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:18 am

Yes.
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:42 am

The Bulk wrote:
    Black Magic wrote:Tonight:

Blackburn Vs Arsenal

Man City Vs Tottenham

Wednesday:

Chelsea Vs Liverpool

I didn’t realise there were so many juicy encounters in this competition! Don’t Blackburn have an Indian sign over Arsenal at the moment?

The two new managers going head-to-head, too!

And Chelsea-Liverpool is obviously a great fixture as well.

I guess these games are on TV?

We beat them twice in the league last season (6-2 and 0-2), drew 0-0 at the Emirates in the FA Cup and then lost the replay 1-0 at Ewood Park. We drew up there 1-1 this season in the league as well. They've been fairly feisty games recently though.
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:18 am

I think Blackeye will win tbh.
    Sheffield gunner

Post by Sheffield gunner Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:23 am

Black Magic wrote:I think Blackeye will win tbh.

Probably. It's up at their place and we will play a relatively weak team. They've been in poor form lately though so we do have a chance and it will be another good experience for some of the youngsters.
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Number of posts : 8505
    Supports : Atlético de Madrid

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:24 am

hoping for an everton v man city final
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:38 am

Arsenal are dark arts masters

MARK HUGHES has warned refs to clamp down on Arsenal’s bullies — after accusing them of using “the dark arts”.

The Blackburn boss insists a number of dirty challenges went unpunished in the Gunners’ 1-0 win over Chelsea on Sunday, claiming officials are too scared to send off Arsene Wenger’s players.

Emmanuel Eboue’s late tackle on John Terry left the Blues skipper out for six weeks yet the Ivory Coast star landed just a yellow card.

Fellow midfielder Cesc Fabregas was also involved in a nasty clash with Ashley Cole that could have earned him more than a caution.

Now, ahead of tonight’s Carling Cup quarter-final at Ewood, Hughes says it is time the officials started taking action on Arsenal’s bad-boy tactics.

Straight reds

He said: “I looked at the game on Sunday and some of the challenges could have been straight reds.

“The referees were asking the players to come over and have a chat to calm it down.

"They tend to give them the benefit of the doubt but I don’t see that where Blackburn are concerned. I just see yellow cards coming out too readily and, as a consequence, we’re always on a tightrope for sendings-off. We have had four in our last seven games now.

“That’s too hard to take and we do feel that there is a perception from referees that they have to referee us in a certain way — and it's wrong.

“In the high-profile games, because of the reaction that would be prompted if a high-profile player was sent off, referees tend to err away from making those decisions.

“They are more inclined to make the decisions to book players in our games, though. Arsenal don’t pick up yellows and reds for the challenges that we get penalised for.

“Referees will say, by the letter of the law, incidents are either red or yellow cards. We don’t complain about that but we just want to see the games refereed in a fair way.”

He added: “There always seems to be a tone leading into games against Arsenal, where people tend to highlight our misdemeanours and how we approach the game.

“Certainly in the past, teams have put comments out leading into games in an effort to influence the refs. It’s a touch of the dark arts, I suppose.”

Rovers and Arsenal have been involved in some tasty encounters in recent times. When they met in August, Arsene Wenger accused Blackburn of “violence”, while Robin van Persie also had a moan about Sparky’s boys.

Last season, Fabregas also clashed with Hughes after making fun of his side’s “rough” style of play.

So there is likely to be no love lost as the two rivals scrap it out for a place in the last four.

Hughes said: “It’s important that the referees are strong in these games. Strong and fair.

“Arsenal players have been banging the drum about how they can cope with the physical side of the game this year, so they know that it is part and parcel of the game.

TOUGH ... Fabregas hassles Cole

“They can obviously play their football but they are taking pride in the fact that they can compete and do both sides of the game. It’s nothing to be embarrassed about and we are certainly not embarrassed about being able to play football and compete.

“Trouble is, when we don’t compete, we get beaten! But we also get hit over the head with the disciplinary league table.”

Rovers have managed just one win in seven matches and shipped five goals at Wigan on Saturday — but Hughes sees the tie as a perfect way to get back on track.

He said: “A cup quarter-final against Arsenal is a great game to look forward to.

“At the moment, I don’t think we are competing enough. We pride ourselves on being rock-solid defensively and we are not at the moment.

“We have always said that, for us to win games, we need eight or nine players at the top of their game.

“But maybe some aren’t playing to the level we know they are capable of at the moment. When that happens it becomes difficult for us.”

Gunners chief Wenger has confirmed he will field a much-changed side. The Gunners’ fixture list is looking congested and Wenger is adopting his usual Carling Cup policy of relying on his talented young fringe players.

Wenger said: “The Carling Cup is more of a squad game, because we decided as a squad to go for every single trophy. Many players that didn’t play against Chelsea will play at Blackburn on Tuesday.

“My expectation is to qualify and go into the semi-finals and it is a good opportunity for my squad to show how strong the players who didn’t play against Chelsea are.

“I believe in them and it is good for the fringe players to show me ‘We knock at the door and we want to play in the first team’.

“We use the competition for our players to grow up — but not only to grow up. It is also to show they are good enough to play in the Champions League and the Premier League.

“I believe as well it is fantastic to see these players respond under the pressure of facing Premier League teams — you can detect who is ready and who is not.”

Eboue (knee) looks set to be sidelined for a couple of weeks after getting injured against Chelsea but Theo Walcott (knee) could be back in contention after missing out on Sunday.

Danish striker Nicklas Bendtner is likely to lead the attack with Eduardo, who scored twice in the last round.

Polish keeper Lukasz Fabianski is also set to feature. Wenger added: “Lukasz is a very impressive keeper with tremendous qualities. I like his intelligence, his physical attributes and his agility.”

The Gunners are up against the clock in their bid to get Mathieu Flamini to sign a new deal.

The France midfielder, 23, has been a revelation this season. But his contract expires at the end of the season and he is free to speak to other clubs on New Year’s Day.

He said: “I am happy here and I have been talking a bit with the club a few days ago and now I am going to see. We have so many games in December, so it is very difficult to be concentrated on this kind of thing as we are playing every three days.”

PROBABLE LINE-UPS — Blackburn: Friedel, Mokoena, Nelsen, Samba, Warnock, Bentley, Reid, Savage, Pedersen, Santa Cruz, McCarthy.

Arsenal: Fabianski, Diarra, Senderos, G Hoyte, J Hoyte, Walcott, Gibbs, Diaby, Gilberto, Eduardo, Bendtner.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article593843.ece

A bit rich coming from him. Once a Manc always a fucking manc.
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:42 am

funny got told they were to "nice" last season, now they toughen up everybody cried "foul". ffs they are no worse than anybody else and there were as many if not more bad challenges from the chavs on sunday
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:51 am

The-Frankinsense-Tavern wrote:funny got told they were to "nice" last season, now they toughen up everybody cried "foul". ffs they are no worse than anybody else and there were as many if not more bad challenges from the chavs on sunday

Idnit! Take MOTD for emaple,Terry gets injured and they lambast Eboue for 10 minutes even though it was IMO an accident which he still apologised for. They didnt even show a clip of when Eboue got injured in the highlights reel let alone talk about it. Do you think Joe Cole got the same treatmen as Eboue?

Oh btw Frank, I still hate you for suggesting I made judgment on Kun Aguero without ever watching him play! Razz Wink
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:59 am

redknapp was the same on sky poured over eboue failed to mention the terry challenge on cesc until gullitt piped up.
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
    Supports : Arsenal FC
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Cesc Soler Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:33 pm

I have still not seen our squad list for this game, but I think we will end up putting a stronger team out than what The Sun has listed.

I'm sure if Denilson, Traore and Song are fit, they will get a start. These players have been everpresent so far in the Carling Cup. It is important that Bendtner gets a start, he deserves more minutes under his belt.
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:39 pm

The squad for the Blackburn match (according to a post on Arsenal Mania without source, not sure if it's true can't find confirmation & the guy had Song in the squad 3 times)

Gunners (from): Fabianski, J Hoyte, Senderos, Song, Traore, Diaby, Gilberto, Walcott, Bendtner, Eduardo, Mannone, G Hoyte, Diarra, Denilson, Lansbury, Perez, Barazite, Gallas.

Makes sense. Wouldn't risk RVP. Blackburn hate him he always scores v them, wouldn't risk him they've got a few thugs who will be after him.

Last edited by on Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Sgoater1 Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:43 pm

Cant wait to go tonight its going to be great if we win it willl be our first semi final in 26 years ! being 24 that means it would be my first EVER.

COME ON CITY !
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Post by SuperMario Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:46 pm

Sgoater1 wrote:Cant wait to go tonight its going to be great if we win it willl be our first semi final in 26 years ! being 24 that means it would be my first EVER.

COME ON CITY !
    Man City (from): Hart, Corluka, Dunne, Richards, Garrido, Ball, Etuhu, Hamann, Fernandes, Johnson, Petrov, Elano, Vassell, Bianchi, Samaras, Geovanni, Isaksson, Onuoha, Sun.

Tottenham (from): Robinson, Chimbonda, Zokora, Kaboul, Lee, Lennon, Jenas, Tainio, Boateng, Malbranque, Berbatov, Bent, Defoe, Stalteri, O'Hara, Taarabt, Dawson, Cerny.

Come on City 10th win on the trot please.
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Post by Cesc Soler Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:47 pm

Makes sense. I think he has shown over the last two games that he has a good degree of sharpness in his game after his spell on the sidelines. Strange to see Gallas selected though.

The team could honestly be anything, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gilberto line up as a centre-back tonight. Tottenham is a much bigger priority for me.
    Sheffield gunner

Post by Sheffield gunner Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:49 pm

Arsène Wenger has announced his 16-man squad for tonight's Carling Cup Quarter-final tie with Blackburn Rovers.

The manager has rung the changes with the squad containing just two players involved in Sunday's win over Chelsea. Philippe Senderos was an unused substitute and Nicklas Bendtner was a 90th minute replacement for Emmanuel Adebayor.

Please note that Theo Walcott has pulled out of tonight's squad due to waking up this morning feeling unwell.

2 Abou DIABY (Age 21)
    6 Philippe SENDEROS (Age 22)
    8 Lassana DIARRA (Age 22)
    9 EDUARDO (Age 24)
    15 DENILSON (Age 19)
    17 Alex SONG (Age 20)
    21 Lukasz FABIANSKI (GK) (Age 22)
    26 Nicklas BENDTNER (Age 19)
    30 Armand TRAORE (Age 18 )
    31 Justin HOYTE (Age 22)
    34 Kieran GIBBS (Age 18 )
    36 Mark RANDALL (Age 18 )
    40 Vito MANNONE (GK) (Age 19)
    41 Gavin HOYTE (Age 17)
    42 Fran MERIDA (Age 17)
    43 Nacer BARAZITE (Age 17)

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=485487&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Arsenal+announce+squad+for+Carling+Cup
    ---------

Eduardo is comfortably the oldest in the squad at 24!
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Post by Cesc Soler Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:59 pm

They never usually list their ages in the list. Very Happy

I still think Gilberto should travel, its not like he is a regular at Arsenal now.
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:04 pm

Any comfirmation as to who Blackburn will field?
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Post by Cesc Soler Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:09 pm

Blackburn (from): Friedel, Nelsen, Samba, Warnock, Tugay, Mokoena, Reid, Bentley, Dunn, Pedersen, Santa Cruz, McCarthy, Roberts, Brown, Savage, Berner, Derbyshire, Khizanishvili, Treacy

Full strength line-up basically.

If memory serves me correctly I think our reserves got beaten in the Carling Cup Quarter Final at Ewood Park in the 2001/2002 season.

It will be a rea achievement if we win/draw tonight.
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:12 pm

Cesc wrote:Blackburn (from): Friedel, Nelsen, Samba, Warnock, Tugay, Mokoena, Reid, Bentley, Dunn, Pedersen, Santa Cruz, McCarthy, Roberts, Brown, Savage, Berner, Derbyshire, Khizanishvili, Treacy

Bastards!

Eduardo has to really step up if we are to have any chance tonight.
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Post by Cesc Soler Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:26 pm

You can't blame Blackburn, its there only real opportunity for a Cup success this season. Every player has to be at there best tonight

Arsenal line-up 2001/2002 vs. Blackburn

Taylor

Tavlaridis . . Keown . . Upson . . van Bronckhorst

Pennant . . Inamoto . . Grimandi . . Edu

Wiltord . . Kanu

Subs: Stepanovs, Aliadiere, Halls, Svard, Holloway

It just goes to show how we approach this competition these days. Its all about youth development now.
    Sheffield gunner

Post by Sheffield gunner Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:30 pm

Cesc wrote:You can't blame Blackburn, its there only real opportunity for a Cup success this season. Every player has to be at there best tonight

Arsenal line-up 2001/2002 vs. Blackburn

Taylor

Tavlaridis . . Keown . . Upson . . van Bronckhorst

Pennant . . Inamoto . . Grimandi . . Edu

Wiltord . . Kanu

Subs: Stepanovs, Aliadiere, Halls, Svard, Holloway

It just goes to show how we approach this competition these days. Its all about youth development now.

Matt Jansen scored a hat-trick against us in that game! Embarassed
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Post by SuperMario Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:33 pm

Nice one.
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Post by Cesc Soler Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:34 pm

It was a 4-0 defeat. silent

Matt Jansen was quality back then , especially around 2000/2001 when Blackburn were in the Championship/Division One. He was never the same after that motorcycle accident.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Sgoater1 Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:10 pm

2008: De Guzman's year wrote:
    Sgoater1 wrote:Cant wait to go tonight its going to be great if we win it willl be our first semi final in 26 years ! being 24 that means it would be my first EVER.

COME ON CITY !
    Man City (from): Hart, Corluka, Dunne, Richards, Garrido, Ball, Etuhu, Hamann, Fernandes, Johnson, Petrov, Elano, Vassell, Bianchi, Samaras, Geovanni, Isaksson, Onuoha, Sun.

Tottenham (from): Robinson, Chimbonda, Zokora, Kaboul, Lee, Lennon, Jenas, Tainio, Boateng, Malbranque, Berbatov, Bent, Defoe, Stalteri, O'Hara, Taarabt, Dawson, Cerny.

Come on City 10th win on the trot please.

It would actually be the 11th cos we beat Norwich at home in an earlier round....but who is counting Very Happy <Ale>
    Puro
    Puro

Number of posts : 10679
    Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:52 pm

The-Frankinsense-Tavern wrote:funny got told they were to "nice" last season, now they toughen up everybody cried "foul". ffs they are no worse than anybody else and there were as many if not more bad challenges from the chavs on sunday

I was thinking the same Frank. Recently them Gooners were label soft, now they start dishing some back, and look who's complaining. Fucking bullies! Biggrin <Ale>
    Puro
    Puro

Number of posts : 10679
    Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:54 pm

Cesc wrote:Blackburn (from): Friedel, Nelsen, Samba, Warnock, Tugay, Mokoena, Reid, Bentley, Dunn, Pedersen, Santa Cruz, McCarthy, Roberts, Brown, Savage, Berner, Derbyshire, Khizanishvili, Treacy

If memory serves me correctly I think our reserves got beaten in the Carling Cup Quarter Final at Ewood Park in the 2001/2002 season.

It will be a rea achievement if we win/draw tonight.

Good good. Blackburn with their starters. I'll be watching this game then. <Ale>

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:25 am