Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+41
worms.
S70_Tyke
Allez les rouges
stinger
Kimbo
OrangeSky
COTR
Romford Pele
Deluded F*ck™
TheCrazy58
TM
SuperMario
Chocolate Thunder
L r dd
Pierre Littbarski
Sheffield gunner
Ricardo Jol
Protheus
Since 1888
christmasborocooper
fcb
Rosicky
Cesc Soler
DS
Deano
Calidad
SirWalterOfSmith
L.r.d
EMP
Puro
Roger Hunt
Tweesus
Hlebagone
Dejan Savićević
monty
Isco Benny
Yef
Murray
The Easter Bunny
Fey
The Bulk
45 posters

What’s that smell? Aha, it’s Scottish football

Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10245
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

What’s that smell? Aha, it’s Scottish football - Page 5 Empty Re: What’s that smell? Aha, it’s Scottish football

Post by Murray Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:08 pm

The latest insanity about the Old Firm. You really couldn't make it up.

Catholic leaders say Hokey Cokey is 'faith hate'

Published Date: 22 December 2008

SCOTS football fans who sing the Hokey Cokey could be committing a "faith hate" crime, senior Catholics warned yesterday.
    A spokesman for Cardinal Keith O'Brien, the leader of the Catholic Church in Scotland said the song – most often heard at kids parties and family gatherings – has "disturbing origins".

They claim the tune was composed by Puritans during the 18th century in an attempt to mock the actions and language of priests leading Latin mass, and that its derisive overtones have been revived by football fans.

Now politicians have urged police to arrest anyone using the song to "taunt" Catholics under legislation designed to prevent incitement to religious hatred.

Peter Kearney, a spokesman for Cardinal O'Brien, leader of the Catholic Church in Scotland, said: "This song does have quite disturbing origins. It was devised as an attack on, and a parody of, the Catholic mass.

"If there are moves to restore its more malevolent meaning then consideration should perhaps be given to its wider use."

According to the Church, the song's title derives from "hocus pocus". The phrase is said to be a Puritan satire on the Latin hoc est enim corpus meum, or "this is my body", used by Catholic priests to accompany the transubstantiation during mass.

But football fans and opposition politicians have blasted the claims, describing them as "utter nonsense".

Murdo Fraser, deputy leader of the Scottish Conservative Party, said: "I can't believe Scottish children performing the 'Hokey Cokey' are doing so in pursuit of any sort of anti-Catholic agenda."

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Catholic-leaders-say-Hokey-Cokey.4812878.jp
    L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

What’s that smell? Aha, it’s Scottish football - Page 5 Empty Re: What’s that smell? Aha, it’s Scottish football

Post by L r dd Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:28 pm

They spend years looking for ways to be offended
    Murray
    Murray

Post by Murray Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:45 pm

Scots World Cup team 'provincial'

A British diplomat dismissed the Scottish football team as "provincials" who were out of their depth at the 1978 World Cup in Argentina, it has emerged.

The comments were made in a dispatch from Hugh Carless, the British charge d'affaires in Buenos Aires at the time.

The papers have been released by the government under the 30-years rule.

The team, led by charismatic manager Ally MacLeod, flew to Argentina on a wave of nationalistic fervour, but crashed out in the first round.

The failure led to widespread condemnation by fans and pundits - but now it appears even diplomats had a say.

In his scathing dispatch on Scotland's ill-fated efforts at the tournament, which he cabled to the Foreign Office in London, Mr Carless denounced the squad's lack of professionalism.

Feature: Archie Gemmill's 1978 wonder-goal

He wrote: "The Scottish team, which had an emotional send-off in Glasgow from thousands of cheering supporters, was greeted in silence on their return.

"In retrospect it would seem that the poor Scottish performance was due to complacency and lack of professionalism on the part of all concerned with Scottish football. They seemed provincials out of their depth in international waters."

Scotland were the only home nation to qualify for the finals, with MacLeod boasting that they would return from Argentina with a "medal of some sort."

But he was left with his head in his hands as his Tartan Army lost their first match to Peru and could only scrape a draw against Iran.

Even a memorable 3-2 victory over Holland, which included a stunning solo goal by Archie Gemmill, was too little too late and Scotland were on their way home without qualifying for the knock-out stage.

o add to their woes, winger Willie Johnston tested positive for drugs after the Peru game - even though he insisted he only took a hayfever pill - and was sent home in disgrace.

The papers released by the National Archives in Kew, west London, show Mr Carless warned that at least one Argentinean lawyer wanted to start extradition proceeding so that the player could be brought back from the UK to stand trial on criminal charges with a possible three-year jail sentence.

"Both Fifa and the Argentine Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) agree that this further publicity is undesirable but the MFA claim that they have no grounds for interfering with the due processes of law," he wrote.

Fortunately for Johnston and the Scots, the attempt came to nothing.

Carless was not the only one who was unimpressed by the Scottish performance.

The files reveal that 12 fans were arrested for displaying a banner with "obscenities" about the Scottish Football Association.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7803783.stm
    Murray
    Murray

Post by Murray Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:46 pm

The rumours about Rangers being broke must be true. Everybody is probably up for sale.

Rangers open to Blues' Boyd offer

Rangers will consider selling striker Kris Boyd to Birmingham, if the St Andrews club increase their £3m bid.

Rangers chairman Sir David Murray told BBC Sport: "Birmingham have made an enquiry, we talked about money but we haven't agreed a fee."

However, the English Championship outfit insist that an offer has already been accepted for the 25-year-old.

A source at St Andrews told BBC Sport that they expect Boyd to discuss a five-year contract on Wednesday.

The Birmingham source said: "I'd be 75% certain that Kris Boyd will be a Birmingham player by the end of the week."

Boyd, who was signed for Rangers by Blues boss Alex McLeish, is the top scorer in the Scottish Premier League with 18 goals.

The Championship side are keen to bolster their forward line, with Garry O'Connor sidelined by injury and Quincy Owusu-Abeyie's loan period ending.

Cardiff City failed with a £2.5m bid for Boyd in the summer but the player recently revealed that he had considered leaving Ibrox.

He was frustrated at being overlooked for key matches last term but his form this season has been impressive.

Rangers manager Walter Smith has made no secret of the need to prune his squad but news of a possible sale is sure to surprise supporters of the club.

Boyd has scored 91 goals since moving to Ibrox in January 2006 despite struggling to become a regular starter under McLeish's successors Paul Le Guen and Smith.

During this campaign he has formed a productive partnership with Kenny Miller, and Smith has made the former Scotland team-mates his automatic first-choice pairing.

Rangers have already sold Daniel Cousin and Jean-Claude Darcheville this season, while summer signings Andrius Velicka and Kyle Lafferty have failed to make an impact.

In October, Boyd, who has scored seven goals in 15 internationals appearances, said he would not play for Scotland again under manager George Burley.

The striker was upset after not being included for the World Cup qualifier with Norway, which ended in a 0-0 draw at Hampden.

If Boyd moves on, Kilmarnock will be due a 20% slice of any transfer fee.
    monty
    monty

Number of posts : 288
    Supports : Kilmarnock, Chelsea and Kaiserslautern
    Favourite Player : Michael Ballack
    Registration date : 2007-03-25

Post by monty Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:22 am

happy days looking forward to our 20%
    Murray
    Murray

Post by Murray Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:41 pm

Aberdeen 4-2 Celtic

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
    Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman
    LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama LLama
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Number of posts : 15804
    Supports : Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool
    Registration date : 2007-01-06

Post by Chocolate Thunder Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:42 pm

Ah your a Rangers fan like lrd, it all makes sense now.
    Murray
    Murray

Post by Murray Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:47 pm

Ade wrote:Ah your a Rangers fan like lrd, it all makes sense now.

No, I'm an Aberdeen fan and I'm kicking myself for not going to the game today.
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Number of posts : 15804
    Supports : Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool
    Registration date : 2007-01-06

Post by Chocolate Thunder Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:51 pm

Murray wrote:
    Ade wrote:Ah your a Rangers fan like lrd, it all makes sense now.

No, I'm an Aberdeen fan and I'm kicking myself for not going to the game today.

My bad.

Just really dispise the Old Firm myself and Celtic losing I'm pressumed you were a Rangers supporter. Awesome result.
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
    Supports : Arsenal FC
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Cesc Soler Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:43 pm

Celtic 0-0 Dundee U (11-10 pens)

Both sides scored 10 of their first 11 penalties, Willo Flood skied his second attempt and Scott McDonald fired home.

Artur Boruc's penalty:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_d6f78fdK_Y

Any striker would be proud of that. ok
    monty
    monty

Post by monty Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:41 am

And Flood has now joined Celtic let the rubbish conspiracy theories begin
    monty
    monty

Post by monty Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:02 pm

Ian Harte signs for St Mirren and is obviously delighted to be there.

Ian Harte has admitted he hopes he can use his move to St Mirren to secure a switch to Celtic. As revealed by skysports.com, St Mirren signed Harte on a short-term deal until the end of the season after the full-back left Blackpool.
    Harte, who came close to a move to Celtic three years ago, admits he is hoping to follow the example of fellow Irishman Willo Flood by using a short-term deal in the SPL to win a move to Parkhead.
    "It's every Irish lad's dream to play for Celtic. As I'm from the Republic they were always one of the teams I followed. I'd always look for their results first on a Saturday," Harte told the Daily Record.
    "So, yes, it's always been a dream of mine to play for them.
    "I did get close a couple of years ago. Gordon [Strachan] called and said he was interested in signing me. I think they had Mo Camara playing left-back at the time.
    "I knew Gordon from Leeds because I was a young lad coming through the ranks when he was a player there. He asked me if I fancied it and, of course, I said yes.
    "Levante had told me I could have a free transfer and everything looked to be falling into place but when they realised Celtic were in for me they suddenly demanded 2.5million euros and it collapsed.
    Devastated
    "I was devastated and looking back now I wish I had dug my heels in and been a lot more stubborn just to try to get a deal done.
    "I don't know if that was my one and only chance of getting to Celtic but hopefully it's not too late.
    "Joining St Mirren gives me a chance to put myself back on the radar. We'll see what happens from here.
    "I've only just turned 31 so I don't feel as if I'm past it or anything like that. I've kept myself in good shape and just need a chance to show what I can do.
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:16 pm

So Steven Fletcher didnt move ? He said its time to move right ?
    Murray
    Murray

Post by Murray Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:02 pm

Exclusive: Gordon Strachan forced to act as peacemaker after Artur Boruc batters Celtic team-mate Aiden McGeady

Feb 7 2009 By Keith Jackson

GORDON STRACHAN has averted a full-blown crisis from breaking out inside his dressing room - after goalkeeper Artur Boruc battered team-mate Aiden McGeady.

Record Sport can today reveal the astonishing events behind the scenes at the Lennoxtown HQ on Thursday when Boruc and McGeady clashed following a training ground bust-up.

Strachan's man-management skills were tested to the full by the flashpoint that left McGeady with facial injuries.

It's understood a row broke out between the pair during a session on the pitch.

Strachan tried to play the incident down yesterday as a run-of-the-mill argument but when the pair returned to the changing rooms Boruc laid midfielder McGeady out with two punches to the face.

The keeper's aggressive attitude shocked team-mates and coaching staff alike.

It was then that Strachan ordered both players into his office for showdown talks and managed to broker a peace deal that has stopped McGeady from demanding further punitive action.

Republic of Ireland star McGeady, who was suspended from the first team for two weeks and fined a fortnight's wages after an angry blast at his boss earlier this season, is believed to be happy with the way Strachan dealt with this latest flashpoint even if it means Boruc is spared similar hard-line punishment.

Strachan's ability to diffuse the row could play a major role in keeping his side on track for a fourth consecutive SPL crown.

Had Boruc been booted out of his first-team plans, he would have been sitting out next week's crucial Old Firm derby.

Both players are likely to start today's Scottish Cup clash with Queen's Park as Celtic continue their quest for the first ever domestic clean sweep under Strachan's leadership.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/2009/02/07/exclusive-gordon-strachan-forced-to-act-as-peacemaker-after-artur-boruc-batters-celtic-team-mate-aiden-mcgeady-86908-21103804/

lol! lol! lol!
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by The Easter Bunny Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:26 pm

Polaks cheers
    Murray
    Murray

Post by Murray Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:42 pm

Historic events at Ibrox tonight. Inverness beat Rangers 1-0 with a last minute penalty. The ref must have been a Tim.

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Number of posts : 1961
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by The Bulk Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:42 pm

Haha! What did weir do to get a penalty awarded against Rangers at home in the last minute and then get sent off!!! Must have went through the guy!!!

affraid affraid affraid

Some great results against the terrible twosome this year - Aberdeen gave celtic a kicking too this season.

Laugh Laugh Laugh
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Post by The Bulk Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:45 pm

Ps What is with Wonder Fleck. Thought he was supposed to be best 16-17 year old ever in the universe.

He's been utter balls every time ive seen him...So so overrated its untrue. FM has a lot to answer for here!

Fleck yer sh1te

bounce bounce bounce
    Murray
    Murray

Post by Murray Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Young players at the gruesome twosome are always overhyped. I have no idea what the fuss is about, he's looked rubbish every time I've seen him on TV.
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Post by The Bulk Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:02 pm

Yeah there is an article today about how the hype hasn't helped Fleck. Don't think he is that good tbh.

Doesn't look particularly skilful, isn't a big guy (is about 5ft 6 or 5ft 7), isn't fast, doesn't look super strong, and isn't a great finisher. Heading is non-existent too. And passing is average. Tackling is sh1te.

Wonder if he'll improve? should be nowhere near rangers current starting eleven - and they're not even an average bunch of players.

Edit - To European and English posters: Are you aware of John Fleck and hype that surrounds him, or is it limited to Scotland?

To give you an idea the Scottish media have hyped him up to be one of the best ever young Scottish players ever! He just aint that good at all.

Thanks
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:39 am

I've heard the name, bought him for my team on Football Manager.
    Murray
    Murray

Post by Murray Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:16 pm

Celtic lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

won 7-0 last week, lost 1-0 today lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Post by The Bulk Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:06 pm

Rangers vs Celtic in the League Cup Final today. Celtic haven't beaten Rangers in a cup final for over 20 years!!!

Celtic's strikers have been shockingly bad recently (Samaras and JVoH in particular) while Rangers are missing Bougherra and Broadfoot I think.

Apparently they are going to attack each other from the off. The last two old firm games have been utter gash and incredibly boring.
    L r dd

Post by L r dd Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:08 pm

Celtic have Rangers number for this one
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:15 pm

The Quiet Earth wrote:
    Celtic's strikers have been shockingly bad recently (Samaras in particular) .

<Ale>
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Post by The Bulk Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:20 pm

Samaras is a weird player. Sometimes he looks good but mostly he looks gash. Walked past him the other day and I swear he tripped up over his own feet. Laughed cause he looks like Bambi on ice on the football pitch always falling over himself. Must be one clumsy bassa.

Tall as fook though. Was thinking it must be a nightmare to mark him and go shoulder to shoulder with him. I'm tall but he was a monster.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:28 pm

He's just average and I dont understand the hype some people on here like to throw his way.
    The Bulk
    The Bulk

Post by The Bulk Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:32 pm

Yeah would get rid of him. Thought he could do it in the SPL but far too inconsistent even for an average player. Will be interesting to see how he does today against a weaker Rangers defence assuming he plays...

LRD

Not sure who will win tbh. Just hope its not another boring game. Cant believe its over 20 years since Celtic beat Rangers in a cup final. Overdue.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:42 pm

He'll probably manage to get a goal..he should go back to Holland. They seem to think he's great over there. He's more of a novelty act with that freaky face of his.
    L r dd

Post by L r dd Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:47 pm

The Quiet Earth wrote:Yeah would get rid of him. Thought he could do it in the SPL but far too inconsistent even for an average player. Will be interesting to see how he does today against a weaker Rangers defence assuming he plays...

LRD

Not sure who will win tbh. Just hope its not another boring game. Cant believe its over 20 years since Celtic beat Rangers in a cup final. Overdue.

More to do with Walter though. He insists on being defensive and Celtic are not good enough to break them down. I wont bother watching unless there's an early goal.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 2:55 am