Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+49
Deluded F*ck™
Chocolate Thunder
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
Knoblauch
Yef
lampiao007
robert
Luso
Brian2468
The-Frank-Tavern
Antarion
Khadrim
dont panic!
SuperMario
A & K
Enigma
Dejan Savićević
TheCrazy58
Deano
toon h
The Easter Bunny
debaser
Murray
Isco Benny
Protheus
Luis
Napoléon
Dwarf
Historicus
Allez les rouges
Kroos
Juligen
christmasborocooper
Rosicky
L.r.d
Super Progress
EM Seleção e Selecção
Fey
Puro
Kimbo
Football Genius
Axeslammer
Black Magic
Ricardo Jol
fcb
Machiavel
COTR
Roger Hunt
Ä
53 posters

Top 3 countries you do NOT want to win Euro 2008

A & K

Number of posts : 3347
    Registration date : 2006-08-12

Top 3 countries you do NOT want to win Euro 2008 - Page 4 Empty Re: Top 3 countries you do NOT want to win Euro 2008

Post by A & K Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:30 am

Na, it was an amazing goal from Figo, who took from really far away and hit it really hard. Great great goal. There wasn't any deflection
    Black Magic

Number of posts : 7514
    Registration date : 2007-10-14

Top 3 countries you do NOT want to win Euro 2008 - Page 4 Empty Re: Top 3 countries you do NOT want to win Euro 2008

Post by Black Magic Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:49 am

Luso wrote:
    BM Ale wrote:Germany
    Portugal
    Spain

I'm shocked BM. And you wanted Veloso... Shocked

I'ts not like I hate Portugal, I don't hate any of the sides in Euro 2008. I wouldn't really mind even if Germany won it, I've been to the country many times, the people have been friendly and also I have relatives that are German. Spain, I don't dislike them, just would rather see Russia, Croatia or Turkey to win.

There just 13 other nations I'd rather see win. Wink

Why Portugal? The Ronaldo factor. Also because I was supporting Holland and England in 04 and 06. Rolling Eyes
    Luso
    Luso

Number of posts : 3305
    Supports : Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Luso Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:59 am

BM Ale wrote:
    Luso wrote:
    BM Ale wrote:Germany
    Portugal
    Spain

I'm shocked BM. And you wanted Veloso... Shocked

I'ts not like I hate Portugal, I don't hate any of the sides in Euro 2008. I wouldn't really mind even if Germany won it, I've been to the country many times, the people have been friendly and also I have relatives that are German. Spain, I don't dislike them, just would rather see Russia, Croatia or Turkey to win.

There just 13 other nations I'd rather see win. Wink

Why Portugal? The Ronaldo factor. Also because I was supporting Holland and England in 04 and 06. Rolling Eyes

And the truth comes out... Laughing
    dont panic!
    dont panic!

Number of posts : 965
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by dont panic! Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:18 am

EMPortuguese wrote:
    26-Otto-19 wrote:quite amazing to see how many on here don't like Portugal

astonishing really

C.Ronaldo, Mourinho and Nani have clearly pissed many off
    No Otto it goes beyond that it goes back to this

June 3, 1986: World Cup first round, Tecnologico Stadium, Monterrey

ENGLAND 0 PORTUGAL 1

England looked uninspired in the Mexican heat and a goal 15 minutes from time by Carlos Manuel settled the match in Portugal's favour. A goalless draw followed against Morocco before a Gary Lineker hat-trick against Poland saw them through to the knock-out stages.

June 12, 2000: European Championships first round, Philips Stadium, Eindhoven

ENGLAND 2 PORTUGAL 3

England made a stunning start to the competition and were 2-0 up inside 18 minutes through Paul Scholes and Steve McManaman. However, Luis Figo's long-range 22nd-minute strike was followed by Joao Pinto's equaliser eight minutes before half-time. Nuno Gomes - expected to lead the line again in Lisbon on Thursday - scored the winner just before the hour.

The host nation booked a place in the semi finals by beating England on penalties. England got off to a perfect start when after only 3 minutes Costinha who hadn't seen Owen behind him, headed a long ball by David James backwards towards his own goal. The England striker who had his back to goal, turned and flicked the ball past Ricardo for his first goal of the competition. Two minutes later Ronaldo had his shot blocked, and in the 8th minute James got his fingertips to a Maniche shot. Gomes flicked a low cross just past the post in the10th minute. Beckham´s 12th minute free kick fell to Rooney, who was blocked by the Portuguese keeper. Despite being off-balanced, Owen managed to lift the ball over Ricardo in the 18th minute, but the ball went over the crossbar. Three minutes later Campbell rose high, but headed over the bar. James had to react quickly in the 25th minute when he failed to hold on to a deflected shot. Rooney limped off and was replaced by Vassell in the 27th minute of the match. Owen forced Racardo into a spectacular save on the half-hour mark. Portugal took over the match in the second half, and James had to get down to his right in the 74th minute to send a shot by Figo out for a corner. This was Figo´s last action of the match, as Postiga replaced him a minute later. With only 7 minutes left Postigo headed in a cross to save Portugal from elimination. In the last minute of normal time Campbell´s header hit the bar and he found the net with his follow-up header, but the goal was disallowed and the match went into extra time. England somehow cleared a header off the line in 109th minute, but a minute later Rui Costa drove the ball in off the crossbar. With only 5 minutes remaining Terry headed the ball down to Lampard who turned and beat the keeper to take the match into a penalty shoot-out. Beckham missed England's first penalty with a dreadful shot high over the bar, and as Rui Costa failed to keep his shot down, the match went into sudden death. After saving a penalty from Vassell, Ricardo beat James with a powerful low shot into the left corner. The party goes on for Portugal, as England's ineptness from the penalty spot has once again cost them dearly.

England went out of the World Cup 3-1 on penalties after their quarter-final with Portugal ended 0-0.

England lost skipper David Beckham to injury just after half-time and Wayne Rooney was sent off after 62 minutes for a stamp on Ricardo Carvalho.

They battled on bravely for the rest of normal time and extra-time with 10 men to take the game to a shoot-out.

But Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher missed to end their hopes and Sven-Goran Eriksson's reign.

The Swede leaves his post as England coach after going out at the quarter-final stage of a major tournament for the third time in succession and now hands over to Steve McClaren.

Eriksson had promised a big performance from his side but until Rooney's early exit it was not forthcoming.

The young striker endured a frustrating game and his patience finally snapped as he got tangled up with Carvalho and Armando Petit and appeared to aim a stamp at the Chelsea player's groin.

I would hate Portugal too lol! lol! lol!

lots of teams have beaten england in tournaments..

..the main problem with portugal..any why most people dont like them..is they are cheats and unfair.
    lampiao007
    lampiao007

Number of posts : 1164
    Supports : SL Benfica
    Favourite Player : Pablo Aimar

Post by lampiao007 Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:39 am

dont panic! wrote:
    EMPortuguese wrote:
    26-Otto-19 wrote:quite amazing to see how many on here don't like Portugal

astonishing really

C.Ronaldo, Mourinho and Nani have clearly pissed many off
    No Otto it goes beyond that it goes back to this

June 3, 1986: World Cup first round, Tecnologico Stadium, Monterrey

ENGLAND 0 PORTUGAL 1

England looked uninspired in the Mexican heat and a goal 15 minutes from time by Carlos Manuel settled the match in Portugal's favour. A goalless draw followed against Morocco before a Gary Lineker hat-trick against Poland saw them through to the knock-out stages.

June 12, 2000: European Championships first round, Philips Stadium, Eindhoven

ENGLAND 2 PORTUGAL 3

England made a stunning start to the competition and were 2-0 up inside 18 minutes through Paul Scholes and Steve McManaman. However, Luis Figo's long-range 22nd-minute strike was followed by Joao Pinto's equaliser eight minutes before half-time. Nuno Gomes - expected to lead the line again in Lisbon on Thursday - scored the winner just before the hour.

The host nation booked a place in the semi finals by beating England on penalties. England got off to a perfect start when after only 3 minutes Costinha who hadn't seen Owen behind him, headed a long ball by David James backwards towards his own goal. The England striker who had his back to goal, turned and flicked the ball past Ricardo for his first goal of the competition. Two minutes later Ronaldo had his shot blocked, and in the 8th minute James got his fingertips to a Maniche shot. Gomes flicked a low cross just past the post in the10th minute. Beckham´s 12th minute free kick fell to Rooney, who was blocked by the Portuguese keeper. Despite being off-balanced, Owen managed to lift the ball over Ricardo in the 18th minute, but the ball went over the crossbar. Three minutes later Campbell rose high, but headed over the bar. James had to react quickly in the 25th minute when he failed to hold on to a deflected shot. Rooney limped off and was replaced by Vassell in the 27th minute of the match. Owen forced Racardo into a spectacular save on the half-hour mark. Portugal took over the match in the second half, and James had to get down to his right in the 74th minute to send a shot by Figo out for a corner. This was Figo´s last action of the match, as Postiga replaced him a minute later. With only 7 minutes left Postigo headed in a cross to save Portugal from elimination. In the last minute of normal time Campbell´s header hit the bar and he found the net with his follow-up header, but the goal was disallowed and the match went into extra time. England somehow cleared a header off the line in 109th minute, but a minute later Rui Costa drove the ball in off the crossbar. With only 5 minutes remaining Terry headed the ball down to Lampard who turned and beat the keeper to take the match into a penalty shoot-out. Beckham missed England's first penalty with a dreadful shot high over the bar, and as Rui Costa failed to keep his shot down, the match went into sudden death. After saving a penalty from Vassell, Ricardo beat James with a powerful low shot into the left corner. The party goes on for Portugal, as England's ineptness from the penalty spot has once again cost them dearly.

England went out of the World Cup 3-1 on penalties after their quarter-final with Portugal ended 0-0.

England lost skipper David Beckham to injury just after half-time and Wayne Rooney was sent off after 62 minutes for a stamp on Ricardo Carvalho.

They battled on bravely for the rest of normal time and extra-time with 10 men to take the game to a shoot-out.

But Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher missed to end their hopes and Sven-Goran Eriksson's reign.

The Swede leaves his post as England coach after going out at the quarter-final stage of a major tournament for the third time in succession and now hands over to Steve McClaren.

Eriksson had promised a big performance from his side but until Rooney's early exit it was not forthcoming.

The young striker endured a frustrating game and his patience finally snapped as he got tangled up with Carvalho and Armando Petit and appeared to aim a stamp at the Chelsea player's groin.

I would hate Portugal too lol! lol! lol!

lots of teams have beaten england in tournaments..

..the main problem with portugal..any why most people dont like them..is they are cheats and unfair.

Based on what exactly?
    Yef

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-02-27

Post by Yef Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:09 am

Germany and Portugal have won f@ck all over the last years, but are really hated by the rest of the world. Although Portugal managed to reach some semi's and a final even.
    lampiao007
    lampiao007

Post by lampiao007 Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:04 am

Portugal has never won anithing in the international stage period
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:13 am

Yef wrote:Germany and Portugal have won f@ck all over the last years, but are really hated by the rest of the world. Although Portugal managed to reach some semi's and a final even.

Still if the Portuguese wouldn't dive as much as they do, they'd probably be (one of) the most popular team(s) around....

That's another reason why they frustrate me so much : they don't need that despicable behaviour. If Germany would dive that much, we'd all understand it....but Portugal ?!

Without the diving and card waving and all the other nonsense they pull, they'd be my favourite team of the last WC (they played some awesome footie)....because of all the nonsense I almost physically got ill watching them Evil or Very Mad
    Knoblauch

Number of posts : 592
    Supports : Sport Lisboa e Benfica
    Favourite Player : Lazer Markovic
    Registration date : 2007-03-01

Post by Knoblauch Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:27 pm

Holland, obviously. They carry on about playing pure football, and the moment any team starts to out football them, they resort to kicking and hacking down.
    Germany, because they are just an arrogant bunch of big headed bastards.
    Italy, I don't have anything against Italians, it's just that on this board so many non Italians pretend they are Italian by the most tenuous links, all because they are ashamed of the footballing wilderness that is their home country.

Number of posts : 4759
    Supports : Italia and Milan
    Registration date : 2007-05-10

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:25 pm

France- Domenech, Euro2000 still hurts, and Gallic flair that borders on annoying.
    Hmm…this is hard…

Germany- Because then they would have even more European Cups.

That’s about it really.
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:48 pm

Ignorant, naive tosser. wrote:Holland, obviously. They carry on about playing pure football, and the moment any team starts to out football them, they resort to kicking and hacking down.
    Germany, because they are just an arrogant bunch of big headed bastards.
    Italy, I don't have anything against Italians, it's just that on this board so many non Italians pretend they are Italian by the most tenuous links, all because they are ashamed of the footballing wilderness that is their home country.

HEY! My dad has an Italian passport thank you very much! king
    Brian2468

Number of posts : 4875
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Brian2468 Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:48 pm

Luso wrote:
    Brian2468 wrote:
    Luso wrote:
    Brian2468 wrote:
    ENGLAND 2 PORTUGAL 3

That was a Lampard special from Figo that beat David Seaman, the ball got a deflection that left the goalkeeper planted. Could never understand the hype over that goal. pirat

Cause it was fucking amazing? Comeshot didn't know what hit him... he just watched hit the back of the net Twisted Evil

Yep Seamen had it covered then watched it deflect off a player and could not do anything.......real skillful goal... Rolling Eyes

Well, I'm sure you've scored better, but we won't go there.
    Sour grapes n' all that...

No sour grapes here...Ale

Good luck Portugal man for your side in Euro 2008........pirat

Figo's great goal was deflected just stating a fact that fans tend to over see....Wink

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS 2000 World Cup football home page

The European Championships 2000 took place in Belgium and Holland. England only just qualified for this competition as they only came second to Sweden in their qualifying group (England lost 2-1 to Sweden away and drew 1-1 at home to them) - England therefore had to have a play off with Scotland (who also came second in their group) - Scholes scored twice in the first leg away at Hampden Park to make it 2-0 to England - England then lost 1-0 at Wembley in the second leg against Scotland and were fortunate to qualify 2-1 on aggregate.

England beat Scotland to qualify for Euro 2000 (Scholes, Shearer and Beckham pictured)

The 22 man England squad was David Seaman, Nigel Martyn, Richard Wright, Gary Neville, Phil Neville, Gareth Barry, Tony Adams, Gareth Southgate, Sol Campbell, Martin Keown, Paul Ince, David Beckham, Steve McManaman, Nick Barmby, Steven Gerrard, Paul Scholes, Dennis Wise, Robbie Fowler, Alan Shearer, Emile Heskey, Michael Owen, Kevin Phillips

Before the tournament England had big expectations but even though they beat Germany they lost to Portugal and Romania and did not progress to the quarter finals.

The results in the England's group A were:

England 2 (Scholes 3, McManaman 17) Portugal 3 (Figo 22, Joao Pinto 27, Nuno Gomes 59)
    Germany 1 Romania 1
    Romania 1 Portugal 1
    England 1 (Shearer 53) Germany 0
    Portugal 3 Germany 0
    England 2 (Shearer 41 pen, Owen 45) Romania 3 (Chivu 22, Munteanu 48, Ganea 89 pen)

With 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw, England came third in their group with 3 points and did not qualify for the quarter finals. Portugal qualified top on 7 points, Romania came second on 5 points and Germany came 4th on 1 point

The England team against Portugal was David Seaman, Gary Neville, Tony Adams (Martin Keown 81), Sol Campbell, Phil Neville, David Beckham, Paul Ince, Paul Scholes, Steve McManaman (Dennis Wise 57), Michael Owen (Emile Heskey 46), Alan Shearer

In the game against Portugal, England had an attacking side with Steve McManaman in midfield and started very well. After 2 minutes, David Beckham gave the ball to Paul Scholes who had come into the penalty area unmarked - Scholes headed the ball in with power off the underside of the crossbar. After 17 minutes Owen gave Beckham the ball and his cross found McManaman who scored to make it 2-0. After this point, however, England's game went downhill and Figo and Rui Costa started to take charge for Portugal in midfield. After 22 minutes Figo hit a great shot in from 25 yards out which deflected in off Adams. Then after 27 minutes Joao Pinto beat Campbell to a Rui Costa cross to score with a header. After 59 minutes, Nuno Gomes, who had got away from Adams, received a good ball from Rui Costa and scored past Seaman to make it 3-2 to Portugal.

Go Portugal!!!! what goes around comes around. Denial defeats a positive outcome....... Basketball
    EM Seleção e Selecção
    EM Seleção e Selecção

Number of posts : 2495
    Supports : Portugal Brasil Africa
    Favourite Player : Ronaldo Zidane Dinho Figo CR Robinho Neymar Hazard
    Registration date : 2007-11-22

Post by EM Seleção e Selecção Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:42 pm

Teams like Russia,Poland etc etc(Who look good in qualification and when the real thing start you think to yourself why didn't they let the other teams in their groups qualify or how poor must the other teams in the group who allowed these teams to get here be?
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Number of posts : 15804
    Supports : Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool
    Registration date : 2007-01-06

Post by Chocolate Thunder Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:12 pm

Greece, Portugal and a tie between Germany/France. More so France.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:40 pm

Greece ! Evil or Very Mad

Horrible anti-footbal !
    EM Seleção e Selecção
    EM Seleção e Selecção

Number of posts : 2495
    Supports : Portugal Brasil Africa
    Favourite Player : Ronaldo Zidane Dinho Figo CR Robinho Neymar Hazard
    Registration date : 2007-11-22

Post by EM Seleção e Selecção Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:41 pm

Axeslammer wrote:Greece ! Evil or Very Mad

Horrible anti-footbal !
    ok ok ok It brings European trophies
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:42 pm

EMPortuguese wrote:

Horrible anti-footbal !

So what ?

Style over substance any day of the week Ale
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:45 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    EMPortuguese wrote:

Horrible anti-footbal !

So what ?

Greece don't really have the style option available to them though so it's easier said than done Wink

But still, then are clearly ripping the piss on purpose
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:45 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    EMPortuguese wrote:

Horrible anti-footbal !

So what ?

He's being sarcastic. ok
    Protheus
    Protheus

Number of posts : 1816
    Supports : Futebol Clube do Porto

Post by Protheus Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:58 pm

That is just an excuse not to play offensive. If they would try to change styles they would eventually find good players for that system. There are a lot more contries in europe with less options and more results and offensive play.

They just follow the esiest route. There is no merit in that, at least in my book.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:01 pm

As a neutral, it's not good to see teams win negative, but at the same time, any fan (bearing in mind the word is short for fanatic!) would be happy for their side to win, any which way. So I refuse to knock them for winning the euros that way, and trying it on again... I know I'd be celebrating if Shrewsbury won promotion, Villa won the league or England won the world cup, however the f@ck they played Very Happy
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:47 pm

Horrible anti-footbal !

I love how The commentators were hating Greece - Rangers were lauded as "Brave" for doing the exact same thing throughout their UEFA Cup run.
    Black Magic

Post by Black Magic Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:48 pm

Giovani Dos Spurs™️ wrote:

Horrible anti-footbal !

I love how The commentators were hating Greece - Rangers were lauded as "Brave" for doing the exact same thing throughout their UEFA Cup run.

<Ale>
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:48 pm

Horrible anti-footbal !

ok

You can add United v Barca or Roma to that.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:56 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:

Horrible anti-footbal !

ok

You can add United v Barca or Roma to that.
    <Ale>
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder

Post by Machiavel Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:04 pm

lol! when it works it works
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:57 am

1. Italy - because they're c**ts

2. Germany - even though I have them in the work sweepstakes

3. France - Boring.
    lampiao007
    lampiao007

Post by lampiao007 Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:54 am

France
    France
    France

Did I mention France?
    Tuga
    Tuga

Number of posts : 161
    Supports : Benfica & Portugal
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Tuga Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:58 pm

France - Because they always beat us

Greece - I usually like Greece but the way they passed the ball around the defence at 0-0 against Sweden was disgusting. The only time I remember being more disgusted with a team was when Portugal did the same against South Korea in 2002. A disgrace to football.

England - I know they're not there but just in case. Only because we'd never ever hear the end of it.

Brian2468 - Figo's goal wasn't a deflection, the ball went cleanly through the legs of Adams. See for yourself:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1916251254

Wherever you got that quote from, it's just plain wrong.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:02 pm

Not really any teams that I'd begrudge winning it except Greece

I'd like Spain or Holland to win it, but I think Germany will win, and to be fair they play decent football too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:31 pm