Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Romford Pele
Antarion
Effenberg
Fade out
Juligen
Kroos
Kimbo
Fey
Axeslammer
toeg
14 posters

Congrats Brazil - but hats off to USA

toeg

Number of posts : 61
    Supports : Servette FC
    Favourite Player : Pele
    Registration date : 2007-11-12

Congrats Brazil - but hats off to USA Empty Congrats Brazil - but hats off to USA

Post by toeg Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:36 pm

I'm sorry,

It's not that I'm a bit prejudiced, even though I am.

Brazil won the game. They actually won 4 - 2, so I'm glad that the mistake by the referee didn't change the result. It wouldn't have been right if the US won and you'd have to say, "Yeah, but if it wasn't for the referee...."

Brazil are the champions, and they deserve it hands down.

<Ale> <Ale>

Good job. The second best team in the world showed what they were made of in the second half. They were fantastic.

But I gotta give props to my team.

USA - USA - USA

The first few games sucked big time and we were the same old bumbling kids who didn't know anything.

But against Spain and Brazil -- YEEE HAAWW!!!

WAY TO GO GUYS!!!! THANKS FOR MAKING THIS OLD GRINGO PROUD OF OUR TEAM. IT AIN'T OFTEN THAT I CAN BE HAPPY.

Bubbly Hug
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Congrats Brazil - but hats off to USA Empty Re: Congrats Brazil - but hats off to USA

Post by Axeslammer Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:37 pm

Don't get so worked about some glorified friendlies Ale
    toeg

Congrats Brazil - but hats off to USA Empty Re: Congrats Brazil - but hats off to USA

Post by toeg Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:38 pm

You are obviously NOT an American fan.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:40 pm

toeg wrote:You are obviously NOT an American fan.

Not a real fan, but I like 'm more than you think....I am not a Confetti Cup fan though Wink
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:47 pm

Well done USA <Ale>

For 45 minutes you made a fool out of Brazil, in the end you fell victim to the catinga..but thats how they always win.

Lets not forget the victory against Spain though, surely soccer will grow in the US the upcoming years and we can expect more of these results.

God bless
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:49 pm

Fey wrote:Well done USA <Ale>

For 45 minutes you made a fool out of Brazil, in the end you fell victim to the catinga..but thats how they always win.

Lets not forget the victory against Spain though, surely soccer will grow in the US the upcoming years and we can expect more of these results.

God bless

Are you taking the piss? IT'S THE CONFEDERATIONS CUP! The Spanish were just waiting until they could go on holiday. Bloody Mexico have won this.
    toeg

Post by toeg Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:52 pm

Hey,

All the teams brought their A players. There was no one out there with a bunch of junior team members. I didn't see Brazil playing footsie.

The teams battled hard, especially after the US went up 2 - 0.

These weren't boring, dinky matches between 17-year-old players. The cream of the crop were out there. The impossible took place in almost a trifecta.

Don't forget that for the US to make it into the finals two IMPOSSIBLE things had to occur. They were so impossible that TWO BRITISH BETTING HOUSES REMOVED THE US FROM THEIR LIST OF BETS ON THE FINAL DAY.

(But we know the Brits are like that anyway, so nothing unusual there)

The US HAD TO beat Egypt by AT LEAST three goals on the final day

AND .................

Brazil had to beat Italy by three goals.

Impossible you say??? Never in a million years, you say.

So did the British gambling joints.

OOOPPS

Then the US was going to stop Spain. Did you see the other thread here?? How do you stop Spain?? I don’t see where it’s written, “Oh, these are just friendlies. Spain doesn’t care about them. They are playing a bunch of junior kids and don’t even care if they win or lose, even if it’s the US. These are just friendlies. No one in the world cares who wins or loses here.”
    Kroos
    Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
    Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
    Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:43 pm

you dont really believe that brazil is the 2nd best side after germany? tongue
    toeg

Post by toeg Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:06 pm

To be honest, I haven't seen the rankings, but FIFA invariably screws things up. I remember after the World Cup in the US, they had us marked as 10th best in the world.

affraid

The US, better than Argentina??

Someone was smoking doobies big time back then.
    Juligen
    Juligen

Number of posts : 2551
    Supports : FLAMENGO
    Registration date : 2006-08-21

Post by Juligen Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:08 pm

toeg wrote:I'm sorry,

It's not that I'm a bit prejudiced, even though I am.

Brazil won the game. They actually won 4 - 2, so I'm glad that the mistake by the referee didn't change the result. It wouldn't have been right if the US won and you'd have to say, "Yeah, but if it wasn't for the referee...."

Brazil are the champions, and they deserve it hands down.

<Ale> <Ale>

Good job. The second best team in the world showed what they were made of in the second half. They were fantastic.

But I gotta give props to my team.

USA - USA - USA

The first few games sucked big time and we were the same old bumbling kids who didn't know anything.

But against Spain and Brazil -- YEEE HAAWW!!!

WAY TO GO GUYS!!!! THANKS FOR MAKING THIS OLD GRINGO PROUD OF OUR TEAM. IT AIN'T OFTEN THAT I CAN BE HAPPY.

Bubbly Hug

Awww, thanks. You guys should be proud, I actually thought the game was lost, you gave us a hard time. Much harder than Argentina in the last Federation final tongue I was sad to see Donovan and other players crying at the end.

Good luck in the WC.

PS I still hate the name soccer tho. silent
    Fade out
    Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
    Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:00 am

France will easily knock out this Brasil side.
    Effenberg
    Effenberg

Number of posts : 3975

Post by Effenberg Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:04 am

Unflinching Frenchman wrote:France will easily knock out this Brasil side.

No, they won't.
    Fade out
    Fade out

Post by Fade out Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:49 am

Effenberg wrote:

No, they won't.

Zidane + Ribery + Vieira + Makelele + Henry + Malouda > Ronaldinho + Kaka + Ronaldo +Adriano + Ze Roberto + Gilberto Silva

Gourcuff + Ribery + Toulalan + Lass + Henry + Benzema > Elano + Kaka + Fabiano + Robinho + Melo + Gilberto Silva

ok
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Post by Axeslammer Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:56 am

Unflinching Frenchman wrote:
    Effenberg wrote:

No, they won't.

Zidane + Ribery + Vieira + Makelele + Henry + Malouda > Ronaldinho + Kaka + Ronaldo +Adriano + Ze Roberto + Gilberto Silva

Gourcuff + Ribery + Toulalan + Lass + Henry + Benzema > Elano + Kaka + Fabiano + Robinho + Melo + Gilberto Silva

ok

You've got at least one problem :

Domenech <<< my dead gran

Ale
    Fade out
    Fade out

Post by Fade out Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:03 am

I have an argument that tw*t Domenech > retard Dunga

WC finals >>> Confederations cup Laughing
    Antarion
    Antarion

Number of posts : 3382
    Supports : Germany, Bayern
    Favourite Player : Müller, Neuer and Schürrle
    Registration date : 2008-04-11

Post by Antarion Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:56 am

Unflinching Frenchman wrote:I have an argument that tw*t Domenech > retard Dunga

WC finals >>> Confederations cup Laughing

Still Dungas Brazil is on top of WC quali which happens not often, they won copa and fun cup and scoring many goals. Seems like he couldn't do much better in terms of results.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:16 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    Effenberg wrote:

No, they won't.

ok

You've got at least one problem :

Domenech <<< my dead gran

Ale

Domenech is what could stop Frnace from actually winning the World Cup. He's a waste of space....Should have gotten in Deschamps Ale
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:34 pm

Have to say, this is a decent article defending US football and its fans:

http://football365.com/john_nicholson/0,17033,8746_5405476,00.html

After last night's Confederation Cup final, it should be clear to even the most sour, knee-jerk anti-American cynic, that the USA and their fans have a lot to be proud of in their football and their international progress.

People, eager to put them down, will point out their deficiencies but they are very well aware of the limitations of their side - a self awareness England have lacked until recently - and know that there's still a long way to go to evolve from a hard-working side to a great football team, but they are enjoying the journey. Their success should be celebrated because it is quite remarkable really.

It's often forgotten by younger fans that, while America has a long football tradition going to back to a third place finish in the 1930 World Cup, it is only in the last 20 years that the game has been organised and taken seriously enough at all levels to produce high class players capable of playing abroad in top flight teams. The 70s mini-boom fed by importing star players at the end of their careers didn't last long.

So USA is really a young country when it comes to producing high class footballers and is learning, expanding and developing every season. Imagine if England had to compete in the NFL; a sport it's largely unfamiliar with, and had reached a major final, we'd think it was a brilliant achievement for a country without much history in the game. To put down their enthusiasm and achievements in the Confederations Cup, and many do, is narrow-minded bigotry, all too often based in a snooty anti-American attitude so popular amongst some Europeans.

For a start, the patronising of Americans who call football soccer is getting very tiresome, somewhat pathetic and is seemingly ignorant of the fact that the word soccer was a slang derivation of Association (football) and was used in England as far back as the 1880s and has been ever since. It isn't some sort of New World gaff to call football soccer, no matter how much you sneeringly say the word in a mock American accent.

This snobbish attitude to USA is all the more remarkable when you consider the nature of the players who take the field for their national side. In Britain we regularly bemoan the knuckle-dragging ignorant thugs and air-headed boy-men who play our game. Yet the USA national side regularly fields men who are intelligent, articulate, interesting and culturally far more broad-minded than any of the lisping wannabe DJs England turns out. Listen to the likes of Brad Friedel, Casey Keller, Jay Demerit or Clint Dempsey; by contrast to their English counterparts these men are college professors. In short, they are the sort of people who are easy to like and admire. You want to sneer at that?

On top of that they have a tough competitive attitude that was best embodied by Brian McBride who was one of the hardest players in modern times, capable of taking a face-breaking elbow from Daniele De Rossi in the 2006 World Cup without flinching or rolling around, instead he got up, walked calmly off, had stitches put in the wound and played on. Simply magnificent. And still you want to have a pop at USA footballers?

Increasingly, it looks like the patronising of the USA side is just showing our ignorance. By playing to their strengths, being well drilled and hard working, they ground out a fantastic win against Spain that was clearly well beyond England a year ago and led Brazil 2-0. I can't understand why anyone would look down on that.

USA is all too often underestimated. They have three CONCACAF wins in the last seven years and before you're cynical about those achievements ask yourself if England could have done much better in this period regularly playing the likes of Mexico, Costa Rica and Honduras in summer heat.

And then we have the criticism of Americans who 'support' English teams such as Manchester United or Chelsea as though this is any more ludicrous than someone from Middlesbrough supporting them. Indeed, in watching them on TV, often at ungodly hours, they are doing no more or less than the vast majority of so-called fans of these sides and as such as merely part of the modern football world.

The only difference is that as well as following a Premier League club, they will also follow another European club too, especially if they are of European descent, as well as their nearest MLS team, and probably their local amateur club as well.

What are they supposed to do - ignore European football? If they did, their critics would say they were being insular and were ignorant of the game outside their own shores - a cultural accusation that Europeans love to make about Americans as though we don't breed insular stupid people in these lands.

Anyone who has spent any amount of time in America will already know that if you meet a football fan, they are almost always dedicated, passionate and well informed about the game. They feast on it all un-blinkered by club loyalties. But still this is not good enough for the snobbish European critics who would love to believe that a typical American football fan is some sort of hayseed in a pair of dungarees, chewing straw and wondering, 'Why don't he pick the ball up, bubba.'

Yes, their media articulates statistics in a different way and deploy a different kind of jargon - but that doesn't make it wrong, just different, as different as how Germans or Italians or Serbians will talk about the game to people from UK. Are you really saying because they don't talk about football like we do that makes them less serious or passionate about it? Do we really love the way our media talks about our top, top, football anyway? What exactly are we defending here?

A goalless draw or a shutout - why can't we just enjoy the language's adaptability rather than become little Englander, pent up prissy pricks about it and start sniping at them for using different terminology? It's so conservative and reactionary.

The English language is an ever evolving organism, which is why you don't talk about football as people did 100 years ago and why, in a bitter irony, so many English footballers use terminology popularised by American rap and R & B stars.

It's also worth realising that, unlike us, those who play and follow the game are sporting rebels in American culture. They are non-mainstream and they have to have a strong sense of their own selves and the game to sustain their status in the face of their mainstream media and culture's huge disinterest which often borders on mockery. Soccer is not your typical jock's game. They've already had to grow some bollocks just to nail their colours to football's mast. And yet still the boring European sneers come.

Football falls into our cultural lap in the UK, but these people have made a real effort to get into the game, and both they and their admirable national side deserve our respect as equals, not as ignorant new world interlopers.

Those who already, like me, follow USA as their 'second' international side, know why they like them so much, and find it embarrassing that so many on this side of the pond still resort to the old thinking and clichés.

Go USA!
    Effenberg
    Effenberg

Number of posts : 3975

Post by Effenberg Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Effenberg wrote:

No, they won't.

ok

It's this kind of post that makes me doubt how much some people really understand about football on here. If that's how it worked, the sport wouldn't have many fans. In fact, we wouldn't even have to play next season, because Real Madrid would win everything anyway.
    Black Magic

Number of posts : 7514
    Registration date : 2007-10-14

Post by Black Magic Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:20 pm

Congrats Brazil - but hats off to USA Mjkit.thumbnail
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:44 pm

The performance of the US against Spain in particular was impressive. If they had been more clever in the final, they probably could have even beaten Brazil (great comeback btw.).

US football is clearly on the rise. If Mexico don't get back on track soon, the US will be the dominant force in North America for a long time.
    L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by L r dd Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:47 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:The performance of the US against Spain in particular was impressive. If they had been more clever in the final, they probably could have even beaten Brazil (great comeback btw.).

US football is clearly on the rise. If Mexico don't get back on track soon, the US will be the dominant force in North America for a long time.

Can you put a disclaimer in all your posts. this post would not exist had England won 4-0 tonight
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:48 pm

Can you put a disclaimer on your life: "This tool would not exist if a costly accident didn't happen."
    Fade out
    Fade out

Post by Fade out Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:36 am

Effenberg wrote:
    It's this kind of post that makes me doubt how much some people really understand about football on here. If that's how it worked, the sport wouldn't have many fans. In fact, we wouldn't even have to play next season, because Real Madrid would win everything anyway.

Whatever I write is incurred from logic of reason and deduction. Razz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 9:57 pm