Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
Sheffield gunner
Hlebagone
Allez les rouges
Isco Benny
blutgraetsche
The Easter Bunny
Aristoskank
Puro
Murray
COTR
Kimbo
TheCrazy58
debaser
DD
18 posters

The FIFA ineptitude and corruption thread

DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

The FIFA ineptitude and corruption thread Empty The FIFA ineptitude and corruption thread

Post by DD Sun May 29, 2011 1:03 pm

Whenever you find something that fits the description of the title, don't hesitate to post it here. There shouldn't be a shortage of posts, after all its FIFA we're talking about.

I couldn't find a thread where this goes in let's start with:

BBC wrote:Fifa: Mohamed Bin Hammam of Qatar ends presidential bid

Mohamed Bin Hammam of Qatar says he has pulled out of the race to head football's world governing body, Fifa.

The move came hours before the 62-year-old Asian Football Confederation chief was due to face an ethics committee hearing into bribery claims.

He said he did not want to see Fifa's name "dragged more in the mud".

Mr Bin Hammam had been due to stand against incumbent Fifa chief Sepp Blatter, who is also facing the inquiry. Both deny corruption claims.

Mr Bin Hammam stressed his withdrawal must not "be tied to the investigation held by the Fifa ethics committee", pledging that he would appear before the panel to clear his name.

His decision not to run means that Mr Blatter is the only remaining candidate in the election of the new Fifa president, scheduled for Wednesday.

'Great price'
    The bribery allegations against Mr Bin Hammam stem from a report by Fifa executive committee member Chuck Blazer.

He alleges that the Qatari and Fifa Vice-President Jack Warner jointly organised a special meeting of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) earlier in May. The meeting was "linked to the upcoming Fifa presidential election", the organisation said in a statement earlier this week.

CFU members are reported to have told Fifa they were offered sums of cash for "development projects" at the meeting.

In a statement announcing his intention to withdraw from the presidential race, Mr Bin Hammam said he "was and remains committed to change within Fifa" in order to "further the cause of democracy" within the organisation.

But he added that "recent events have left me hurt and disappointed - on a professional and personal level".

"It saddens me that standing up for the causes that I believed in has come at a great price - the degradation of Fifa's reputation. This is not what I had in mind for Fifa and this is unacceptable.

"I cannot allow the name that I loved to be dragged more and more in the mud because of competition between two individuals. The game itself and the people who love it around the world must come first."

The Fifa's ethics committee hearing is due to start in Zurich, Switzerland, later on Sunday.

A news conference has been scheduled for 1600 GMT, where the hearing's outcome could be announced.

Both Mr Bin Hammam and Mr Warner are facing allegations from Chuck Blazer that they offered bribes at the meeting of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) on 10 and 11 May.

A file of evidence claims bundles of cash of up to $40,000 (£24,200) were handed over to members of the CFU at the meeting in Trinidad.

Both Mr Bin Hammam and Mr Warner deny the allegations.

In turn, Mr Bin Hammam has effectively claimed that Mr Blatter - who is bidding for a fourth term in office - failed to report the payment of alleged bribes, in itself a breach of Fifa's ethics code.

Mr Blatter, 75, denies any wrongdoing. In a statement on Friday, he said: "I cannot comment on the proceedings that have been opened against me today. The facts will speak for themselves."

The latest twist in the bitter fight for Fifa presidency follows weeks of damaging headlines and allegations in the wake of the vote for the hosts of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

The former was awarded to Russia and the latter to Qatar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13587449

In another news bullitin (in dutch), Jack Warner has basically said that the shit hit the fan, and that in the coming days loads of shocking news will be released to the public.

About fucking time. Let's go.

debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

The FIFA ineptitude and corruption thread Empty Re: The FIFA ineptitude and corruption thread

Post by debaser Sun May 29, 2011 1:30 pm

Looks like Bin Hammmam was tipped off about the results of the ethics committee and jumped before he was pushed.

If Blatter manages to survive this farce, it proves he's more untouchable than even Berlusconi.
    debaser
    debaser

The FIFA ineptitude and corruption thread Empty Re: The FIFA ineptitude and corruption thread

Post by debaser Sun May 29, 2011 6:29 pm

Bin Hammam and Jack Warner both suspended pending further investigations ok

Blatter in the clear and seemingly will be re-elected unopposed on Wednesday No
    TheCrazy58
    TheCrazy58

Number of posts : 8151
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by TheCrazy58 Sun May 29, 2011 7:01 pm

Bin Hamamm must finished but I suspect Warner probably knows where the bodies are buried and Blatter may deal with him more carefully.

What a farce. How many terms are FIFA presidents allowed to serve?
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Sun May 29, 2011 7:06 pm

I don't see any problems, i don't want to look like a bitter Englishman. silent
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Sun May 29, 2011 7:38 pm

TheCrazy58 wrote:Bin Hamamm must finished but I suspect Warner probably knows where the bodies are buried and Blatter may deal with him more carefully.

What a farce. How many terms are FIFA presidents allowed to serve?

Blatter's predecessor lasted from 1974-1998. Pretty sure there is no limit.
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Mon May 30, 2011 7:20 am

I agree that Warner really sounds like he knows everyone's skeletons in the closet.

While this sort of late-yesterdays news, I'll still post it

BBC wrote:Fifa suspends Bin Hammam & Warner after ethics hearing

David Bond reports from Zurich
    Fifa has provisionally suspended executive committee members Mohamed Bin Hammam and Jack Warner after a meeting of its ethics committee on Sunday.

Football's governing body will now open a full investigation into allegations that financial incentives were offered to members of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU).

CFU officials Debbie Minguell and Jason Sylvester have also been suspended.

But Fifa president Sepp Blatter was found to have no case to answer.

Petrus Damaseb, deputy chairman of the ethics committee, said of Bin Hammam and Warner: "We are satisfied that there is a case to be answered."

However, Fifa insists that they are innocent until proven guilty.

If found guilty, they could be expelled from the organisation and banned from all football activity.

Bin Hammam was the only candidate due to oppose Blatter in the forthcoming election for the Fifa presidency but he withdrew in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke confirmed that Wednesday's election would go ahead unless three-quarters of the 208 delegates voted to change the agenda.

It leaves Blatter clear to seek a fourth term in charge of the organisation, which he has run since 1998, unopposed.

"I am not Fifa, I can't change the agenda," Valcke said. "It is up to the delegates - they have the final say."

"I don't see what is wrong with this election with Mr Sepp Blatter. Rolling Eyes

"I think the most important thing is a commitment from all the members of the Fifa ExCo with the president to support a change within Fifa and in his last mandate make sure that Fifa is stronger and cleaner than it was.

"Maybe we can have the top guys around the world come to put things in place to stop these things from happening again."

The Qatari and his colleague, Fifa vice-president Warner, were forced to answer charges of bribery over allegations from executive committee member Chuck Blazer in Zurich on Sunday.

It was alleged that they offered bribes at a meeting of the CFU on 10 and 11 May.

A file of evidence claimed bundles of cash of up to $40,000 (£24,200) were handed over to members of the CFU at the meeting in Trinidad.

The payments were allegedly made to secure votes for Bin Hammam in his campaign to challenge Blatter for the presidency.

In turn, Bin Hammam effectively claimed Blatter was aware of some wrongdoing but did not report it, in itself a breach of Fifa's ethics code.

But Damaseb said the committee took the view that the obligation to report did not arise because at that stage no wrongdoing had occurred.

After the meeting, Blatter said in a statement: "The Fifa ethics committee has reached its decisions.

"I do not wish to comment in detail. But simply to say that I regret what has happened in the last few days and weeks.

"Fifa's image has suffered a great deal as a result, much to the disappointment of Fifa itself and all football fans."

Warner said he was shocked and surprised by the decision to provisionally suspend him.

"I will vigorously defend my reputation as well as the reputation of the rest of the Caribbean members," he said in a lengthy statement.

Bin Hammam also expressed his unhappiness with the verdict.

"I'm very disappointed about the way the status of the proceeding has been presented at the media conference," he said. "This is not how I understand fair play. I'm reserving all my rights."

Asked if this was the lowest point in Fifa's 107-year history, Valcke replied: "The reputation of Fifa? Maybe it's not at the highest, that's clear. It's sad.

"Definitely, there is a need for change. I'm not the Fifa president so he is the one who must decide what he wants to do and Fifa must make the necessary changes so that the institution has systems in place to avoid something like this happening again.

"This is the pattern of the work which we have to do very quickly in the next few months."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13590264.stm

It's disgusting how swiftly it appears Blatter has been cleared. Why would he (1) allow or turn a blind eye to the bribing and (2) knowing this and knowing that the rules dictate that he should report it - Why would he still ignore it?
    He's inept, or part of it/condones it, or these "paltry" briberies weren't even worthy of his attention - kind of "deductable", or "bussiness as usual", like a dinner would be.

One would think that investigation into the root of these charges would be deeper, thus lengthier. Not dismissed with handful of "ayes". Rolling Eyes
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Mon May 30, 2011 11:20 am

This is heating up nicely into a real shitstorm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13592684.stm

Surely it isn't beyond question that another vote takes place if these sorts of allegations are backed by the evidence that supposedly exists. Let's face it, how the hell else were Qatar ever going to get a World Cup.
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Mon May 30, 2011 12:32 pm

COTR wrote:This is heating up nicely into a real shitstorm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13592684.stm

Surely it isn't beyond question that another vote takes place
    if these sorts of allegations are backed by the evidence that supposedly exists. Let's face it, how the hell else were Qatar ever going to get a World Cup.

It is as long as Blatter stays in charge & most national FAs stay quiet*. Probably need people with more credibility than Warner or Triesman to come forward with evidence. Though I wouldn't be shocked if this Valcke dude now becomes Blatter's fall-guy. That email looks highly dodgy.

*or the other thing we could hope for is that all FIFAs major sponsors start running a mile..
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10245

Post by Murray Mon May 30, 2011 3:09 pm

I'll eat my hat if the 2022 World Cup is actually played in Qatar
    Puro
    Puro

Number of posts : 10679
    Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro Mon May 30, 2011 3:36 pm

Murray wrote:I'll eat my hat if the 2022 World Cup is actually played in Qatar

Blatter's FIFA is more corrupt than the corrupt fuckos who have been running (ruining) Peruvian football since the mid '80s. Now that is something FFS! Biggrin <Ale>
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Mon May 30, 2011 4:34 pm

FIFA has been corrupt for decades, but it is only when an Arab country takes advantage of this corruption that anyone sits up and takes notice...
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson

Post by The Easter Bunny Tue May 31, 2011 12:56 am

Does anyone think if a sort of constitution would be drafted, it could potentially clamp down on corruption. If members/VPs/presidents on the FEC were only allowed to serve 4-8 years it could potentially stop them getting so entrenched into FIFA. Apply the same principle to presidents of different regions.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Tue May 31, 2011 1:00 am

FiFA needs a complete overhaul. This has been clear for decades. I just don't understand why there is no political pressure to initiate the necessary reforms. It's a farce really.
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Tue May 31, 2011 1:54 am

Pinky und der Brain wrote:FIFA has been corrupt for decades, but it is only when an Arab country takes advantage of this corruption that anyone sits up and takes notice...

Here's my very own 'conspiracy' theory: Blatter realized that Bin Hammam outmaneuvered him with them CONCACAF votes (the decider actually), and Sepp's right hand man Valcke counted the votes and they weren't adding up for Blatter's re re re election.

Blatter had Léoz's (he's such a corrupt fucko FFS! Laugh) CONMEBOL and Platini's UEFA votes in the bag. Bin Hammam had AFC and CAF votes and thus CONCACAF was/is the decider, and Warner went with the Qatari.

You bet Blatter and Bin Hammam were bribing for votes, and the Khazar (through his acolyte Valcke) cried foul when the votes didn't go his way. He was a sure loser! That's why his "FIFA ethics committee" Laugh suspended Bin Hammam and Warner (without a proper investigation, it's all a show, a friggin circus) GUILTY until proven innocent! Laugh

And of course his "FIFA ethics committee" didn't find any wrongdoing on Sepps's part. Reminds me a lot of how the Peruvian Football Federation does business with bungs, gifts, ca$h etc. etc. Fucking corrupt fuckos FFS! Laugh
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Tue May 31, 2011 12:58 pm

After the Aussies asking for refunds, now the FA has a more moderate demand.

BBC wrote:Football Association wants Fifa to delay election

The Football Association wants Fifa to postpone its presidential election scheduled for Wednesday 1 June.

Current Fifa president Sepp Blatter is the only candidate in the running after the withdrawal of Mohamed Bin Hammam.

The FA recently chose to abstain from voting following allegations of corruption against world football's governing body.

It now wants the vote delayed and an independent body to recommend "improved governance" of Fifa.

FA chairman David Bernstein said in a statement: "On 19 May, 2011 the Football Association announced it would be abstaining in the forthcoming election for the Fifa presidency.

"There were two main reasons for this decision. First, a concern, that a series of allegations relating to Fifa ExCo Members made it difficult to support either candidate.

"Events of the last few days have reinforced our views, and we call on Fifa and ask other national associations to support us with two initiatives.

"First, to postpone the election and give credibility to this process, so any alternative reforming candidate could have the opportunity to stand for president.

"Secondly, to appoint a genuinely independent external party to make recommendations regarding improved governance and compliance procedures and structures throughout the Fifa decision-making processes for consideration by the full membership.

"This has been a very damaging time for the reputation of Fifa and therefore the whole of football.

"To improve confidence in the way the game is governed at the very top, we believe these requests would be a positive step forward and the minimum that should take place."

Whether the FA will receive the support of their counterparts remains to be seen but Blatter, speaking defiantly at a news conference on Monday, seemed set on making sure the presidential election went ahead unless three quarters of Fifa's congress of 208 voted otherwise.

Blatter, 75, is vying to be re-elected for a fourth term and, despite insisting Fifa was not in crisis, the FA's latest move comes amid world football's governing body being undermined by a series of corruption allegations.

Following question marks being raised over the legitimacy of the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding process, the Fifa presidential election race has been tarnished by further claims of wrongdoings.

Bin Hammam, president of the Asian Football Federation (AFC), and Fifa vice-president Jack Warner have been provisionally suspended by Fifa's ethics committee over allegations that financial incentives were offered to Caribbean Football Union members.

Blatter was also investigated following a charge against him by Bin Hammam, although Fifa's ethics committee did not find their president had a case to answer.

Bin Hammam has appealed his ban, while Warner revealed an e-mail in which Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke suggested Bin Hammam "bought" the 2022 World Cup, which will be held in Qatar.

Valcke responded by saying his remarks were taken out of context before the latest twist to the turmoil surrounding Fifa resulted in major sponsors Coca-Cola, Adidas and Emirates expressing their concern at the damage being done to Fifa by the alleged claims of corruption.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13599008.stm
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Tue May 31, 2011 1:03 pm

Two amusing clips
    Fifa president Sepp Blatter responds to questions at news conference
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13594593.stm (about 10 minutes)

Football is not in crisis - Fifa president Sepp Blatter
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13595225.stm

The FIFA ineptitude and corruption thread Comica10
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Tue May 31, 2011 1:13 pm

Pinky und der Brain wrote:FIFA has been corrupt for decades, but it is only when an Arab country takes advantage of this corruption that anyone sits up and takes notice...
    Probably true... but moreso from within FIFA rather than the general public I assume. FIFA were the ones upset with a corrupt Arab running for president rather than a corrupt Westener.

I expect most of the general public simply wanting to nail the fat bastards on whatever case that sticks - that's the case I'm behind for getting them out.
    I don't care if the reason racism within the ranks, or a bribery gone wrong. Most if not all the people in power are corrupt.
    FIFA cannot be taken seriously and FIFA cannot policy itself. Its a disgrace that the biggest sport in the world is run by power hungry fat toads covering themselves.

FIFA is not run by people looking to further the game (e.g. goal line technology) but by individuals for monetary gain and keeping the power (money) firmly in grip of the same clubs/countries as well.
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Tue May 31, 2011 7:07 pm

The FIFA corruption case keeps getting better/worse. Now Grondona has said that Léoz was only taking the piss, just fucking with the English when they asked him for his support. Apparently Léoz told them to knight him just like Sluralex AND also to name the FA Cup competition in his name. lol!

Grondona was asked if he was approached by the English, and he didn't deny it. He said there was an approach, but that he told them "return Las Malvinas and I'll give you my vote". lol!

Oh but it gets better, Grondona said "they're nothing but pirates" lol! that's why I voted for Qatar. He added "listen I've been here for a long time, how do you think they got 1966?". Now I work in FIFA's finance commission and we have over one billion US dollars surplus and we splash the cash all over the world. When they (the English) were in charge there was only 11 million dollars. Who was keeping the money? where did it go?" lol!
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Tue May 31, 2011 7:25 pm

Just to point out a minor flaw there Puro

England weren't up against Qatar Smile
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Tue May 31, 2011 7:42 pm

COTR wrote:Just to point out a minor flaw there Puro

England weren't up against Qatar Smile

My mistake! I forgot to quote Grondona "voting for the USA is like voting for England". The man's got a point there since both countries are run by the Rothschilds financially.
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:51 am

BBC wrote:German Federation asks Fifa for inquiry into Qatar 2022

The president of the German Football Federation Theo Zwanziger has called upon Fifa to re-examine the award of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

Zwanziger, who is running for a place on Fifa's executive committee, said: "There is a considerable degree of suspicion that one cannot sweep aside.

"I must expect that awarding this World Cup under these conditions needs to be examined anew."

Qatar defeated bids from South Korea, Japan, Australia and the United States.

The Gulf state was accused in May by British MPs - with evidence submitted by the Sunday Times newspaper- of paying bribes in return for votes.

Qatar 2022 officials described the allegations as "distressing, insulting and incomprehensible" and attacked the source of the evidence.

But Zwanziger added: "I first would like to comment on how that should be done when I know more about the facts. I'm an outsider and was not a member of the executive.

"If Fifa behaves the way people expect, that is by clearly taking action against this cancerous tumour of bribery, then there is no need for these concerns.

"None of us could have imagined such a scandal. There is no end to the suspicions falling on members of the Fifa executive.

"The task now is to shed light in a determined fashion, punish the guilty and develop mechanisms that prevent something like this from ever happening again."

Sepp Blatter is expected to be re-elected as president of Fifa on Wednesday, with the 75-year-old the only candidate as his rival Mohammed Bin Hammam is suspended over allegations that financial incentives were offered to Caribbean Football Union (CFU) members.

The English and Scottish Football Associations called for the election to be postponed, but the other associations rejected that bid, with Zwanziger saying it would leave the body without a leader to take charge and get to the bottom of the allegations.

Zwanziger did say he was pushing for a secret ballot, though, so any critics could submit a protest vote without fear of any reprisals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13613314.stm
    Good one Jarmans. ok

Blatter Clip:"I am the ship's captain"
    Fifa president Sepp Blatter says his organisation is in "troubled waters" and as its "captain" it is his duty to steer the ship back on course.

He was speaking on the second day of the group's annual congress and ahead of a leadership election in which he stands as the only candidate.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-13613602
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:54 am

BBC wrote:Chuck Blazer 'survives sacking attempt', says Concacaf

Lisle Austin, the acting president of Concacaf, had sent Blazer a letter saying he was "terminated as general secretary with immediate effect".

But Concacaf's executive committee has said the sacking was "unauthorised".

Concacaf is the continental governing body for football in North America, Central America and the Caribbean.

In a statement issued in New York, Concacaf said Austin does not have the authority to fire Blazer, the whistleblower who sparked the Fifa corruption row.

"Today, an unauthorised declaration was made by Lisle Austin attempting to remove Chuck Blazer as general secretary of Concacaf," the statement said.

"This attempted action was taken without any authority. Under the Concacaf statutes, jurisdiction over the general secretary rests solely with the executive committee which has taken no action.

"Chuck Blazer continues as Concacaf general secretary and with the full authority of his office."

Blazer, an American who is also a member of Fifa's executive committee, accused fellow executives Jack Warner and Mohamed bin Hammam of bribery last Thursday.

The pair were temporarily suspended, a move that effectively ended Bin Hammam's bid to challenge Blatter for the Fifa presidency.

Blazer subsequently reported Warner for breaching the terms of his suspension by urging Caribbean Football Union (CFU) members to vote for incumbent Sepp Blatter in Wednesday's Fifa presidential elections.

"We have clear evidence of a violation of his suspension and we have reported that to the Fifa secretary general," said Blazer of Warner's actions.

"He has also been meeting with Concacaf members, which is against the rules of the suspension."

Austin, who is standing in for the suspended Warner, said Blazer's conduct was "inexcusable and a gross misconduct of duty and judgment". He also said that the American was no longer fit to hold the post.

Blazer originally accused Warner and Bin Hammam of offering financial incentives to CFU members, which led to the pair being banned.

The payments were allegedly made to secure votes for Bin Hammam in his campaign to challenge Blatter for the presidency.

Bin Hammam pulled out of the presidential race on 29 May but Fifa's ethics committee subsequently suspended both him and Warner, leaving Blatter to stand unopposed for the presidency.

Bin Hamman, a Qatari, is appealing against his suspension, claiming it was a deliberate plot to influence the outcome of the elections, while Warner said his ban was "the worst form of justice by any sporting organisation".

Warner also accused Blatter of making a gifts to Concacaf officials but is now backing the 75-year-old Swiss for the Fifa presidency.

In a letter, Warner asked CFU members to "desist from initiating any protest action at Wednesday's Fifa Congress".

He continued: "At our last meeting, we agreed as a union to support the incumbent Joseph Sepp Blatter in his quest to regain the presidency.

"I wish to assure you nothing has changed - our mandate was set then and despite it all we must fulfil it.

"The battles I have fought over the last week are my burdens to bear; my shoulders are broad and skin is insulated to the verbal attacks I am subjected to daily."

The English and Scottish football associations have both called for Fifa to postpone Wednesday's presidential election.

The English FA has already announced that it is abstaining from the voting in the Fifa presidency elections.
    DD
    DD

Post by DD Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:57 am

BBC wrote:Timeline of events surrounding Fifa corruption claims

In light of the bribery and corruption allegations currently surrounding Fifa, here is a timeline of how events have unfolded for football's governing body in the last eight months.

October 2010

The Sunday Times claims two members of Fifa's executive committee, Reynald Temarii of Tahiti and Amos Adamu of Nigeria, offered to sell their votes in the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosting contest to undercover reporters.

The duo are provisionally suspended by Fifa's ethics committee, pending further investigations. Four other officials, all former executive committee members, are also provisionally suspended.

November 2010

Temarii is banned for one year and fined 5,000 Swiss francs (£3,552) for breaching the ethics code. Adamu is banned for three years and fined 10,000 Swiss francs (£7,005) for breaching five articles of the ethics code, including one on bribery. The four others are all banned and fined.

The ethics committee decides allegations of vote-trading between Spain and Portugal, who are bidding for 2018, and Qatar, who are bidding for 2022, are unfounded.

Fifa dismisses allegations made by a BBC programme against three more executive committee members. The governing body stated that the matters had already been investigated by Swiss authorities and the case is closed.

December 2010

Russia is awarded the 2018 World Cup and the 2022 tournament is controversially awarded to Qatar despite Fifa's own technical report saying that high temperatures could pose a health risk to players, officials and spectators.

May 2011

A UK parliamentary inquiry into why England failed to secure the 2018 finals is told by member of parliament Damian Collins that there was evidence from the Sunday Times newspaper that Issa Hayatou of Cameroon and Jacques Anouma of the Ivory Coast were paid by Qatar.

At the same hearing, former Football Association chairman Lord Triesman accuses Fifa executive committee members Jack Warner, Ricardo Teixeira, Nicolas Leoz and Worawi Makudi of asking for favours in return for their votes. Fifa later says all four men have been cleared of the allegations in an independent report commissioned by the FA.

An ethics investigation is opened into confederation presidents Mohamed Bin Hammam of Asia, Blatter's only challenger in the Fifa presidential election on 1 June, and Jack Warner of Concacaf concerning a meeting of the Caribbean Football Union.

Blatter is also summoned to appear before the ethics committee hearing following a request from Bin Hammam because he may have been aware of the cash payments.

Bin Hammam withdraws his candidacy hours before the ethics committee hearing.

An ethics committee hearing clears Blatter but provisionally suspends Bin Hammam and Warner pending a further inquiry into claims they paid Caribbean delegates $40,000 (£24,250) each to vote for Bin Hammam in the election.

Fifa confirms that the 1 June election will go ahead with Blatter as the only candidate.

A leaked email from Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke claims Qatar had "bought" hosting rights for the 2022 World Cup. Qatar denies the claims and Valcke says his comments were misconstrued.

Blatter denies Fifa is in crisis and tells a news conference there was no case to answer against four Fifa executive committee members accused of corruption during a British parliamentary hearing. He also says there had been no evidence from the Sunday Times over allegations that Issa Hayatou and Jacques Anouma had been paid to vote for Qatar's World Cup bid.

The FA announces it will abstain from voting in the elections and, along with anti-corruption watchdog Transparency International, urges Fifa to postpone the presidential election because of a deepening corruption scandal.

Sponsors associated with Fifa, including Coca-Cola, Adidas, Emirates and Visa, express their concern at the damage allegations of corruption are causing world football's governing body.

Blatter warns of the dangers facing Fifa at the 61st Fifa Congress and says he will outline his plan to tackle the 'threat' when he opens the Congress agenda on 1 June.

June 2011

Concacaf general secretary Chuck Blazer, who made bribery allegations against Fifa, appears to have survived an attempt to sack him. Lisle Austin, the acting president of Concacaf, had sent Blazer a letter saying he was "terminated as general secretary with immediate effect." But Concacaf's executive committe has said the sacking was "unauthorised".

German football federation president Theo Zwanziger called for Fifa to re-examine the award of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

Suspended Asian Football Confederation president Mohamed Bin Hammam was denied entry to the Fifa congress after being unable to file his appeal.

A proposal by the English and Scottish Football Associations that the presidential vote should be delayed is defeated by 172 votes to 17, leaving Blatter as the only candidate standing and his appointment to a fourth term in office as a mere formality.

Addressing Fifa congress delegates, Blatter announces that in future, the location for World Cups will be decided by a congress vote, from a shortlist of candidates drawn up by the Executive Committee, but without any guidance or preference.

"I would like to show I am the one who is able to take on my the responibility football lays on my shoudlers and that you lay on my shoulders," said Blatter.

"I am ready and I can do it because I want to get the ship out of troubled waters and once again in a safe harbour so we can yet again build this pyramid whose base is national associations."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13601803.stm
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:05 am

Smile

The FIFA ineptitude and corruption thread Despotthedifference
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:24 am

Laughing nice pic of Sepp looking like a batshit mental Bond villain.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:31 pm

Apparently there is talk of this all being English sour grapes.

What do non Englishes think of it?

Let's not forget, before we get on our high horse, England were going to play a friendly game against Thailand simply in return for a vote. When we didn't get it, the FA cancelled the friendly straight away.

In other words, our bid was complicit in the dirty back scratching aswell, but clearly just not as good as some.

Would the FA and Co. and the British Media be making such a big issue about this had we won the bid?

Go!
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
    Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann

Post by Allez les rouges Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:08 pm

It's bullshit, no one is accusing the English of sour-grapes agendas on this one, indeed they are getting respect on e.g. German news sites/comment pages. Though Zwanziger wasn't (wrongly of course, in my view) following the English demand for a postponed election, ridiculous that there wasn't more support.

There may well be many "good guys in Fifa" who we don't hear about, because they can't speak out, but this has been ridiculous for ages. This association is reliant on the big national associations for its very existence; now that it is increasingly clearly not in the interests of the biggest and most traditional football nations to prop it up, it seems extraordinary that there hasn't been more talk of them/our taking our bats away and refusing to play. I am really not well enough informed on this, but it seems to me that at the very least there needs to be a root-and-branch shake-up, indeed revolution; at a more fundamental level, if say a company can't run a bus service with a minimum of basic effectiveness, success and efficiency, it loses the contract to someone else.

What on earth is the world waiting for?
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
    Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:33 pm

I imagine because Blatter has a lot of dirt on lots of the presidents of various FAs. Imagine the German FA and the FA are less in the thralls of Blatter, but i'm sure lots of the Presidents of developing countries FAs would be taken down, if Blatter was.
    Puro
    Puro

Post by Puro Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:38 pm

Hlebagone wrote:I imagine because Blatter has a lot of dirt on lots of the presidents of various FAs. Imagine the German FA and the FA are less in the thralls of Blatter, but i'm sure lots of the Presidents of developing countries FAs would be taken down, if Blatter was.

They are all corrupt, perhaps there's a very small minority without much clout that isn't. Grondona even brought up the English calling them "pirates" and the events of 1966, he's speaking the TRUTH! This corruption goes way back. They will never vote for England because of what Stanley Rous did in 1966 to every South American.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 3:26 pm