Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Irish Won't Give Up Fight For Nolan

Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Irish Won't Give Up Fight For Nolan Empty Irish Won't Give Up Fight For Nolan

Post by Machiavel Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:27 pm

Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton is hoping to cut through a mountain of red tape in a bid to lure Kevin Nolan into the fold.

Staunton and Bolton captain Nolan have discussed on several occasions the prospect of the midfielder pulling on the green of Ireland.

The 24-year-old still harbours hopes of playing for England, yet Nolan knows that is a tall order with Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Owen Hargreaves and Michael Carrick ahead of him in the pecking order.

Towards the end of last season there was talk of Nolan breaking into the squad, yet despite his best season for Bolton - scoring 11 goals and taking up the skipper's armband - he was overlooked.

That is why Staunton is eager to recruit a player of Nolan's calibre, yet there remain obstacles, even though he qualifies to play for the Republic via the grandparents' ruling.

Nolan has previously played for England at under-21 level, albeit in a friendly, and featured in a competitive game for the under-18s.

There is a precedent as Everton's Tim Cahill played for Samoa at youth level, yet now represents Australia after lodging a successful appeal with FIFA.

Staunton is not giving up just yet as he said: "There's a lot of issues surrounding this one.

"Once we cut through the red tape then we will know where we are, and I cannot say much more than that."
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Irish Won't Give Up Fight For Nolan Empty Re: Irish Won't Give Up Fight For Nolan

Post by COTR Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:30 pm

the irish fans won't be impressed

I can just imagine what eamon dunphy is thinking while reading this...

'whoop de fu#king do... we get the reject version of frank lampard'
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder

Irish Won't Give Up Fight For Nolan Empty Re: Irish Won't Give Up Fight For Nolan

Post by Machiavel Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:32 pm

If i was Nolan i would take this seriously...he wont play for England (maybe Steve Mclaren might give him a friendly - but he has to think long term) i think him playing for Ireland would be good...not sure how the fans would take it though.
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:34 pm

they won't be happy but he will hardly be the first englishman to ever play for ireland.. ireland's first team is decent but the squad lacks any real depth.. any premiership quality they bring in will be highly beneficial.. nolan would also be getting to play for a team with a lot of potential and lets face it if mc'claren is doing his job nolan will never play for england...

good move all round if they pull it off
    Keano Is God
    Keano Is God

Number of posts : 439
    Supports : Manchester United and Celtic
    Favourite Player : Student
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Keano Is God Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:20 pm

im irish and im be ok with nolan playing for ireland, as long as he plays well. I mean zidane is algerian and viera is senegalease but they dont complain

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:49 pm