Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
fcb
DD
Owen Thomas
theflyingfrenchman
The Easter Bunny
Machiavel
Tweesus
The Pröfessör
Parks lives
Romford Pele
110%
Kimbo
d gorgeous one haz spoken
Roger Hunt
Deluded F*ck™
christmasborocooper
20 posters

Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney on WPOTY list

S4P

Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney on WPOTY list Empty Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney on WPOTY list

Post by S4P Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:10 pm

Dunno if a similar thread has been done or not Ale

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6045034.stm

Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney and Frank Lampard are on Fifa's 30-man shortlist for World Player of the Year award.
    That trio of players are among 12 Premiership players in contention for the prize, with Arsenal's Thierry Henry seen as a front-runner for the award.

Last year's winner was Brazilian Ronaldinho, who also won in 2004.

This year's competition is expected to come down to a contest between and striker Henry and Fabio Cannavaro, captain of World Cup winners Italy.

The head coaches and captains of all national teams will now vote for their best players from the shortlist.

The prize will be awarded in Zurich on 18 December.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fifa World Player of the Year shortlist:
    Adriano (Inter Milan, Brazil), Michael Ballack (Chelsea, Germany), Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus, Italy), Fabio Cannavaro (Real Madrid, Italy), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United, Portugal), Petr Cech (Chelsea, Czech Republic), Deco (Barcelona, Portugal), Didier Drogba (Chelsea, Ivory Coast), Michael Essien (Chelsea, Ghana), Samuel Eto'o (Barcelona, Cameroon), Luis Figo (Inter Milan, Portugal), Gennaro Gattuso (AC Milan, Italy), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool, England), Thierry Henry (Arsenal, France), Kaka (AC Milan, Brazil), Miroslav Klose (Werder Bremen, Germany), Philippe Lahm (Bayern Munich, Germany), Frank Lampard (Chelsea, England), Jens Lehmann (Arsenal, Germany), Alessandro Nesta (AC Milan, Italy), Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan, Italy), Franck Ribery (Marseille, France), Juan Roman Riquelme (Villarreal, Argentina), Ronaldinho (Barcelona, Brazil), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United, England), Tomas Rosicky (Arsenal, Czech Republic), Andriy Shevchenko (Chelsea, Ukraine), Lilian Thuram (Barcelona, France), Patrick Vieira (Inter Milan, France), Zinedine Zidane (retired, France).
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney on WPOTY list Empty Re: Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney on WPOTY list

Post by christmasborocooper Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:11 pm

GIVE IT TO THE FAT ONE
    S4P

Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney on WPOTY list Empty Re: Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney on WPOTY list

Post by S4P Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:14 pm

If FIFA are to make this a fair award, they should award it to one of:

Buffon
    Cech
    C.Ronaldo
    Drogba
    Essien
    Eto'o
    Kaka
    Klose
    Lehmann
    Pirlo
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:14 pm

Henry will win it. But Deco or Riquelme for me. Ale
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:16 pm

Ronaldinho will win it still I reckon la
    S4P

Post by S4P Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:16 pm

But this is what I don't understand. They put in Zidane, Figo, Adriano etc (even Lampard and Rooney), but not Terry and Rio? Yikes The only 2 English players (along with Gerrard) who are at this moment in time easily in the top 30 players in the world.

Doh
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115

Post by Roger Hunt Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:21 pm

World PIEEATER Of The Year Award -

Lampard? Rooney? You make the call.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:25 pm

Adriano (Inter Milan, Brazil)YikesLaugh , Michael Ballack (Chelsea, Germany), Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus, Italy), Fabio Cannavaro (Real Madrid, Italy), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United, Portugal)Yikes , Petr Cech (Chelsea, Czech Republic), Deco (Barcelona, Portugal), Didier Drogba (Chelsea, Ivory Coast)Yikes , Michael Essien (Chelsea, Ghana)Yikes , Samuel Eto'o (Barcelona, Cameroon), Luis Figo (Inter Milan, Portugal)Yikes , Gennaro Gattuso (AC Milan, Italy)Yikes , Steven Gerrard (Liverpool, England), Thierry Henry (Arsenal, France), Kaka (AC Milan, Brazil)Yikes , Miroslav Klose (Werder Bremen, Germany), Philippe Lahm (Bayern Munich Germany:yikes: ), Frank Lampard (Chelsea, England), Jens Lehmann (Arsenal, Germany), Alessandro Nesta (AC Milan, Italy)Yikes , Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan, Italy), Franck Ribery (Marseille, France)Yikes , Juan Roman Riquelme (Villarreal, Argentina), Ronaldinho (Barcelona, Brazil), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United, England)Yikes , Tomas Rosicky (Arsenal, Czech Republic)Yikes , Andriy Shevchenko (Chelsea, Ukraine) , Lilian Thuram (Barcelona, France)Yikes , Patrick Vieira (Inter Milan, France)Yikes , Zinedine Zidane (retired, France)Yikes .

seems as if anyone that kicks a football the in WC can make the list. what did most of these players do during the thier domestic season and the CL. Nothing

Dinho (yes the new hate figure of football) still scored 23 goals and 17 assist
    Eto'o
    Deco
    Henry
    Roman

are the only names that shoud be on thier.

Number of posts : 585
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by d gorgeous one haz spoken Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:27 pm

not one dutchman, this has got to be a first No
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:28 pm

Last year... Given > Lehman > Cech

ok
    S4P

Post by S4P Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:28 pm

@ Messiah

You are surprised to see Drogba and Essien on the list?

Why? scratch

Number of posts : 585
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by d gorgeous one haz spoken Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:29 pm

ronaldinho for winning the cl with barcelona will win it. the only player from the italian squad that have a chance of winning it is zambrotta i reckon but he will not win it ahead of ronaldinho sadly.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:31 pm

S4P wrote:@ Messiah

Why? scratch

because essien wasn't settled last season and looked nothing like he does now.

Drobga will he could be on their, put wasn't anything special last season though he as looked great so far this season.
    L r d

Post by L r d Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:32 pm

I dont understand why you put that emotion for ronaldo.
    Why deco? imo most overated player in world football. He wasnt great end of the last year, wasnt great at wc.
    Remember it is the calendar year.

etoo maybe but not now he missing last 4 months of the year.
    so between henry ronaldinho c.ronaldo lehmann pirlo cannavaro(not that it should be) and riquelme.
    L r d

Post by L r d Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:32 pm

Eto'o.
    S4P

Post by S4P Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:33 pm

Messiah wrote:
    S4P wrote:@ Messiah

Why? scratch

because essien wasn't settled last season and looked nothing like he does now.

Drobga will he could be on their, put wasn't anything special last season though he as looked great so far this season.

ok Fair enough, but it's judged on 2006 as a whole (January-December) and Drogba started to show his class around March time. That should do enough for him imo.

Essien I can agree with, although he was awesome at the World Cup.

I just think that if the likes of Henry are going to have a chance of winning it, Essien and Drogba should also have a mention.
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:45 pm

Why is nesta on the list? Doh
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:51 pm

110% wrote:Why is nesta on the list? Doh

Exactly this guy is consistently injured.

Henry I don't think is worth the accolade now but he should have won it a few seasons back when he ran riot during Arsenal's unbeaten season.

To be honest I don't think anyone has particularly stood out his year and I don't really see the hype around Eto'o.
    My vote would probably go to Cannavaro but defender's never win it anyway.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:07 pm

What has cannavaro done to deserve the award
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:09 pm

Messiah wrote:What has cannavaro done to deserve the award

I suppose not much but he was rock solid during the world cup and won the scudetto with Juve even though it got taken away.
    Who would your vote go to then?

Post by Guest Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:15 pm

will sine the award id bases on the calender year Jan-Dec, i must they that their hasn't really been anyone who stands out during that period.

so if it has to one of the itailians i would be upset.

But based on the season 05/06

it has to go to one of these 5

Dinho
    Eto'o
    Henry
    Roman
    Deco
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:20 pm

Messiah wrote:will sine the award id bases on the calender year Jan-Dec, i must they that their hasn't really been anyone who stands out during that period.

Dinho
    Eto'o
    Henry
    Roman
    Deco

3 Barca player's affraid
    I'm joking you lot did rule last season. I think Henry should have won it a few seasons back. May as well give it to Eto'o although I don't really rate him.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:45 pm

C Ronaldo

if not Etto.
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Pröfessör Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:09 pm

yours truly wrote:
    Messiah wrote:will sine the award id bases on the calender year Jan-Dec, i must they that their hasn't really been anyone who stands out during that period.

Dinho
    Eto'o
    Henry
    Roman
    Deco

3 Barca player's affraid
    I'm joking you lot did rule last season. I think Henry should have won it a few seasons back. May as well give it to Eto'o although I don't really rate him.

I see barca fans have been hyping deco alot recently, but he was very inconsistent last year especially in the league and he didn't have a good world cup either. He has been one of barca's best two player though this season. I think the following players have a better chance of winning it:

cana

pirlo (maily because of his WC performances)

Henry

Eto'o

Dinho
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:39 pm

TeamSpirit™️ wrote:Henry will win it. But Deco or Riquelme for me. Ale

bias Razz
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Number of posts : 21355
    Supports : AFC Ajax & Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : Paul Scholes & Wesley Sneijder

Post by Machiavel Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:39 pm

No Huntelaar,

i expected this, FIFA are ignorant simple as, i bet they don't know what club he even plays for or his nationality ..
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:40 pm

@rai

Yeh but he hasn't done anything interntionally or in Europe
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:47 pm

Tweedledum wrote:@rai

Yeh but he hasn't done anything interntionally or in Europe

Europe

- 6 goal in Europe this year (2006) .. 2 on his debut against Internazionale and a couple this season (2006/07)
    - Top Eredivisie goalscorer
    - I believe he is the youngest Dutchman to reach 50 goals in the Eredivisie (history) with the shortest amount of games

International

- 2 goals on his debut against Ireland
    - Top goalscorer in the UEFA U21 European Championships

Put this into context, did anyone really know who he was in May 2005??

He should have at least made the shortlist .. but sadly he does not play in Italy, Spain or England and did not feature in the World Cup

Hope the 'journalist' who vote in the European player of the Year, notice him.
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson

Post by The Easter Bunny Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:40 pm

rai i knew him.
    he scored 3 past my Cambridge team on footie manager lol

he played for tottingham on mine lol
    finish 20 dribbling 18
    pace and acceleration
    18 and 19 respectively
    well at least i won 5-3 Smile lol
    Machiavel
    Machiavel

Post by Machiavel Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:41 pm

punty wrote:rai i knew him.
    he scored 3 past my Cambridge team on footie manager lol

he played for tottingham on mine lol
    finish 20 dribbling 18
    pace and acceleration
    18 and 19 respectively
    well at least i won 5-3 Smile lol

He's a legend on that game, but seriously .. hes come a long way, after his best season FIFA fail to recognise him .. hopefully he will be recognised by the European player of the Year awards ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:47 pm