Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
Arnaud loves Catherine
DS
Kroos
Deluded F*ck™
Owen Thomas
Fey
Murray
B.I.L.F.
Brian2468
Glenarch of the Glen
COTR
robert
poiuy1
Machiavel
Parks lives
Football Genius
Kimbo
Batman
Tweesus
Keano Is God
Tom
25 posters

Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks)

Poll

Scholes or Gerrard

[ 35 ]
    Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks) - Page 2 Bar_left64%Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks) - Page 2 Bar_right [64%] 
    [ 18 ]
    Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks) - Page 2 Bar_left33%Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks) - Page 2 Bar_right [33%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks) - Page 2 Bar_left3%Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks) - Page 2 Bar_right [3%] 

Total Votes: 55
    L r d

Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks)

Post by L r d Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:36 pm

I love how 5 people have voted Gerrard but haven't had the guts to come forward for fear of the EMB Mafia; "OMGZ SCHOLZ WOZ MAZIN 4 ENGLUND GERURD AZ KNOW BRAIN 'E IZ SHIT GINGA IZ GOD even though England never used to lose with Gerrard in the side, pre-lampard"
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks)

Post by Parks lives Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:37 pm

Obispo wrote:I love how 5 people have voted Gerrard but haven't had the guts to come forward for fear of the EMB Mafia; "OMGZ SCHOLZ WOZ MAZIN 4 ENGLUND GERURD AZ KNOW BRAIN 'E IZ SHIT GINGA IZ GOD even though England never used to lose with Gerrard in the side, pre-lampard"

Poor...

Like Gerrard for England.
    Tom
    Tom

Number of posts : 12185
    Supports : Chelsea

Post by Tom Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:38 pm

Obispo wrote:I love how 5 people have voted Gerrard but haven't had the guts to come forward for fear of the EMB Mafia; "OMGZ SCHOLZ WOZ MAZIN 4 ENGLUND GERURD AZ KNOW BRAIN 'E IZ SHIT GINGA IZ GOD even though England never used to lose with Gerrard in the side, pre-lampard"
    well we all know who voted for Gerrard..

Luis
    Crouching
    Cotr
    Glenn
    Football Genius

(Big Tone?)
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:39 pm

3 years without a goal.
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:39 pm

Ballack wrote:
    well we all know who voted for Gerrard..

Luis
    Crouching
    Cotr
    Glenn
    Football Genius

(Big Tone?)

I haven't voted fullstop. You're probably right though. It'll go up to 6 when 110% sees this thread.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:40 pm

& we'll hear how Scholes was always average and Gerrard is better because he runs more. Rolling Eyes
    B.I.L.F.
    B.I.L.F.

Number of posts : 205
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Student / Assistant Golf Pro
    Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by B.I.L.F. Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:36 pm

I voted for gerrard ok

When you look at all round games..........
    I personally would rather have gerrard in my team.
    Yes Im bias.............but so are the Mancs.

Im not doubting Scholes abilties/credintials as he is along with Giggs and Ole some of my favourite players.

I can admit Stevie is incosistent but Scholsey has had patchs of bad runs.

Also you must look at tackling, leadership qualities and versatility.

Anyway they are the 2 best English midfielders in the Prem.

And for Englands its a shame he retired early cause of being thrown out to the left wing by Sven.

Last edited by on Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10247
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Murray Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:38 pm

Scholes.

Gerrard is a headless chicken. Both are overrated though.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:46 pm

Scholes, bit biased maybe. But just look at Manu last year and compare it with the Manu of today with Scholes..And he was maybe even more important for the national team. Yeah, I really like him, clever player, especially for a Brit <Ale>
    Kevin

Post by Kevin Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:47 pm

adnan aka BILF wrote:I
    Also you must look at tackling, leadership qualities and versatility.

What use is versatility if you only want to play in one position?
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:49 pm

& leadership, when you don't really have any.
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:49 pm

Fey wrote:Scholes, bit biased maybe. But just look at Manu last year and compare it with the Manu of today with Scholes..And he was maybe even more important for the national team. Yeah, I really like him, clever player, especially for a Brit <Ale>
    funny that.. united were shit at the start of last season WITH scholes.. then halfway through the season came the blind excuse Wink.. this coincided with united barely losing a game from there on in in the league...

but i see what u mean with the last season point Rolling Eyes
    Owen Thomas
    Owen Thomas

Number of posts : 3874
    Supports : Manchester United F.C
    Favourite Player : Q.A Guy..

Post by Owen Thomas Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:05 pm

Bloody hell I've never seen Man U and Liverpool fans go at it so much recently on here.

What the hell has happened? has my absence soured relations so badly? Wink
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:07 pm

He's 3 times as good at the moment. Razz

Wouldn't be surprised if Glenn hasn't used one of his many extra accounts to make the poll less embarresing.
    COTR
    COTR

Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:11 pm

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has claimed the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year award.
    It is the first time the 25-year-old has been named player of the year by his peers, although he was Young Player of the Year in 2001.

Gerrard, who a day earlier helped Liverpool win their FA Cup semi-final, said: "I am still in shock.

"To go through to another FA Cup final and win this special award in the same weekend is fantastic for me."

Wayne Rooney, the 20-year-old Manchester United striker, won the PFA Young Player of the Year award for the second successive season.

Rooney had been a contender for the senior player of the year prize - along with Gerrard, Arsenal striker Thierry Henry and the Chelsea trio Joe Cole, Frank Lampard and John Terry, who won last year.

Gerrard was third in last season's vote but then went on to guide the Reds to Champions League victory against AC Milan in Istanbul

PFA PLAYER OF THE YEAR
    1996: Les Ferdinand (Newcastle)
    1997: Alan Shearer (Newcastle)
    1998: Dennis Bergkamp (Arsenal)
    1999: David Ginola (Tottenham)
    2000: Roy Keane (Man Utd)
    2001: Teddy Sheringham (Man Utd)
    2002: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Man Utd)
    2003: Thierry Henry (Arsenal)
    2004: Thierry Henry (Arsenal)
    2005: John Terry (Chelsea)
    2006: Steven Gerrard

I like this poll.. voted for by fellow players of course.. think ill go with this one Smile
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:13 pm

Them awards hey cotr, lampard was second best player in the world if you believe them Ale
    robert
    robert

Number of posts : 5672
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Giggs
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Post by robert Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:15 pm

I'm not going to get into this main argument but I just wanted to state a poll voted on by players is about the LEAST credible one.

Most players hardly ever watch many games bar the big ones or the tactics review sessions they have in training a good lot don't even like the sport, they just happen to be good at it.
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:16 pm

Meh. I can deal with all this to be honest...

Gerrard may not be better than Scholes but he has scored in an FA Cup, UEFA Cup, League Cup and Champions League final.

And for all his lack of a brain, he was still one of the best players on the pitch on Wednesday playing against the best team in Holland as part of a 2 man central midfield. It wasn't like he was playing with Xabi, Didi or Momo either. Bolo Zenden is hardly a world reknowned holding midfield player yet he and Gerrard were rarely troubled as a partnership.

Funny that.
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:17 pm

robert wrote:I'm not going to get into this main argument but I just wanted to state a poll voted on by players is about the LEAST credible one.

Most players hardly ever watch many games bar the big ones or the tactics review sessions they have in training a good lot don't even like the sport, they just happen to be good at it.

This is true I think. It is a job for them after all and how many people come home from their job and then want to do that as recreation?

Carragher often gets singled out for his love of the game - in other words he watches a fair amount of 'other' football. Which leads me to believe that perhaps, if he's being singled out, many of the others are rarely bothering to watch the game recreationally.

It's a theory, innit?
    COTR
    COTR

Post by COTR Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:19 pm

robert wrote:I'm not going to get into this main argument but I just wanted to state a poll voted on by players is about the LEAST credible one.

bollocks robert..it's a nice theory but if you believe this you will believe anything...maybe it is true for a small percentage but not for the majority

most players know infinitly more about the game than us to start with, then factor in the fact that they actually come up against the players, then factor in the many assessments and videos they watch and get on every team and you are trying to tell me these are not credible. maybe a european award like lrd has said when you don't play against or see 90 percent of the players. but not in a league where you are playing against all these players and watching the games every week.

I can guarantee you most of them watch MOTD or catch highlights at some stage. if for their own egos if nothing else.

Last edited by on Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    S4P

Post by S4P Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:25 pm

Murray wrote:Scholes.

Gerrard is a headless chicken. Both are overrated though.

I think Scholes, like Gerrard and Lampard (pre-World Cup) was very overrated with his England performances. The 3 of them have never really been exceptional on the international stage imo, but I think you would say Scholes is undoubtedly the best of the 3, and his performances for United have been exceptional.
    robert
    robert

Number of posts : 5672
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Giggs
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Post by robert Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:28 pm

COTR wrote:

bollocks robert.. if you believe this you will believe anything...maybe it is true for a small percentage but not for the majority

most players know infinitly more about the game than us to start with, then factor in the fact that they actually come up against the players, then factor in the many assessments and videos they watch and get on every team and you are trying to tell me these are not credible. maybe a european award like lrd has said when you don't play against or see 90 percent of the players. but not in a league where you are playing against all these players and watching the games every week.

I can guarantee you most of them watch MOTM or catch highlights at some stage. if for their own egos if nothing else.

Know infinately more about the game how? Practical application maybe, not much else. How many players in their interviews spout the same old cliches? I've read a few articles from journalists who say that most players would rather stick a fork in their eye than watch a match.

Not to mention that all these awards invariably become popularity contests.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:35 pm

Silly Question.

Scholes.

Gerrard is the better athlete though - but it's who's the best footballer Wink
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:37 pm

TeamSpirit™️ wrote:

Like the Hyypia > Toure/King/Ferdinand comparison then.

He'll always be the better defender Smile
    COTR
    COTR

Post by COTR Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:39 pm

Know infinately more about the game how? Practical application maybe, not much else.
    people on here take an idealistic view of how the game should be played. the reality is often very different. whether it is T/S with his views on terry based purely on terry not being as atheltic as other defenders to pierre constantly slating ashley cole despite ronaldo claiming he is the toughest opponent he has come up against. only by playing against these players can you REALLY tell how good they are

How many players in their interviews spout the same old cliches?
    on the spot questions straight after a game. Don't really see how this is relevent

I've read a few articles from journalists who say that most players would rather stick a fork in their eye than watch a match.
    and im sure u have read many other or seen examples of many other forms of media that would suggest evidence to the contrary for example soccer am, soccer sunday, interviews on revista with cesc, reyes etc. I would be willing to put a lot of money on it that most players watch most games or highlights at some stage during their week

Not to mention that all these awards invariably become popularity contests
    is this any different from this poll. popularity arises for a reason after all
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:45 pm

Obispo wrote:
    TeamSpirit™️ wrote:

Like the Hyypia > Toure/King/Ferdinand comparison then.

He'll always be the better defender Smile
    Ahh,

But King & Rio (IMO) have more natural ability - and have all the defensive attributes that Hyypia has.0

I've always said that Hyypia was one of the World's best from 1999 - 2002.

-------------------------

COTR - Terry's lack of athleticism does play a part in my critcism of him, but if he managed to play in a high-line of defence, or be able to face an attacker 1 v 1 without looking out of his depth, my opinion would be swayed ok
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:45 pm

Not taking this to well I see.
    S4P

Post by S4P Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:55 pm

TeamSpirit™️ wrote:Silly Question.

Scholes.

Most definitely.

Reminds me of the old Ferdinand > Terry argument. Wink
    S4P

Post by S4P Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:56 pm

TeamSpirit™️ wrote:COTR - Terry's lack of athleticism does play a part in my critcism of him, but if he managed to play in a high-line of defence, or be able to face an attacker 1 v 1 without looking out of his depth, my opinion would be swayed ok

You mean like the times he's stopped Eto'o and Henry in 1 v 1's, when his ex-partner failed miserably with Henry?
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:56 pm

Laugh

Guys is this some sort of thing to dissect my football philosophy.

OK.

Basically I believe that Athleticism is more Important - though not all together 100% crucial in the following areas:

Central Defence - coupled with good reading and timing.

Full Back

Wingers/ Side Midfield - with Dribbling & crossing ability.
    --------------------------------

A superior footballing brain/ reading of the game is far more imporatant:

Midfield (Defensive, Or Attacking)

Strikers - Hence why I love players like Sheringham, Drogba, Berbatov & Crespo Their awareness of space & those around them is outstanding.

*Don't see why I'm under such scrutiny Razz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:25 pm