Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
Arnaud loves Catherine
DS
Kroos
Deluded F*ck™
Owen Thomas
Fey
Murray
B.I.L.F.
Brian2468
Glenarch of the Glen
COTR
robert
poiuy1
Machiavel
Parks lives
Football Genius
Kimbo
Batman
Tweesus
Keano Is God
Tom
25 posters

Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks)

Poll

Scholes or Gerrard

[ 35 ]
    Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks) - Page 3 Bar_left64%Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks) - Page 3 Bar_right [64%] 
    [ 18 ]
    Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks) - Page 3 Bar_left33%Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks) - Page 3 Bar_right [33%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks) - Page 3 Bar_left3%Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks) - Page 3 Bar_right [3%] 

Total Votes: 55
    L r d

Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks) - Page 3 Empty Re: Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks)

Post by L r d Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:57 pm

TeamSpirit™️ wrote:

*Don't see why I'm under such scrutiny Razz

Because you were nasty to big Sami Sad
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks) - Page 3 Empty Re: Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks)

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:05 pm

Obispo wrote:
    TeamSpirit™️ wrote:

When?

I never mentioned him in the fraudulent list Wink

I always say he's one of the top 5 EPL CB's of all time - and that he's had a huge hand in helping Carragher develop into a competant CB at the highest level.

I've only said what you have said all season - which is, he's past it.

4. Sami Hyypia Arrow OUT

5. Daniel Agger Arrow IN

Didn't realise that you'd get so offended by that Sad
    L r d

Post by L r d Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:07 pm

TeamSpirit™️ wrote:
    Obispo wrote:
    TeamSpirit™️ wrote:

When?

I never mentioned him in the fraudulent list Wink

I always say he's one of the top 5 EPL CB's of all time - and that he's had a huge hand in helping Carragher develop into a competant CB at the highest level.

I've only said what you have said all season - which is, he's past it.

4. Sami Hyypia Arrow OUT

5. Daniel Agger Arrow IN

Didn't realise that you'd get so offended by that Sad

You lumped him in the same category as Terry! You know how offensive that is.

You wouldn't want me comparing Flamini to Mauro Silva, would you? Razz
    robert
    robert

Number of posts : 5672
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Giggs
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Post by robert Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:16 pm

COTR wrote: people on here take an idealistic view of how the game should be played. the reality is often very different. whether it is T/S with his views on terry based purely on terry not being as atheltic as other defenders to pierre constantly slating ashley cole despite ronaldo claiming he is the toughest opponent he has come up against. only by playing against these players can you REALLY tell how good they are

Doesn't everyone have an idealistic view about the way the game should be played. It would be pretty hard not to since the reason they practice is to strive that that ideal no?

COTR wrote:on the spot questions straight after a game. Don't really see how this is relevent

I believe the relevancy in this lies in the fact that if players were rather insightfull and knew much about the game they wouldn't be saying the same old shit that they heard from other past players.

COTR wrote:and im sure u have read many other or seen examples of many other forms of media that would suggest evidence to the contrary for example soccer am, soccer sunday, interviews on revista with cesc, reyes etc. I would be willing to put a lot of money on it that most players watch most games or highlights at some stage during their week

No way to really prove this since we can't straw poll the majority of the players, oh and watching games is far different from watching highlights. They may watch highlights but that doesn't really let you know the subleties of that particular game.

COTR wrote:is this any different from this poll. popularity arises for a reason after all

Indeed but in this area I can pick and choose which views to read and which to disregard because I can see obvious bias about x player from x members of this board.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:25 pm

Obispo wrote:

If I gave that Impression, then I apologise. That was unforgiveable.

Please don't compare the New Grimandi to the greatest DMF of the last 15 years.

Last edited by on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Parks lives Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Exert from Gerrard's book.

After being called up for the national team, I was talking with Michael Owen. Michael told me "Just wait till you see Scholes train", "you won't believe how good he is".
    "I know he's a very good player but I've seen him play before". Michael just smiled as if to say you'll see.

Watching him train though was like something else, the way he strikes the ball was unbelievable.

"I just thought, how could I ever get to that level" Very Happy
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:35 pm

was that when he was about 20 that he said that though?
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:54 pm

Tinseldum wrote:was that when he was about 20 that he said that though?

20/21 yes.
    L r d

Post by L r d Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:55 pm

Little did he know at the time he would go on to surpass it.
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743
    Supports : Liverpool

Post by Football Genius Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:39 pm

Snowbispo wrote:Little did he know at the time he would go on to surpass it.

hmm, Stevie is far more explosive that Scholes ever was/will be, but Scholes for me is the better footballer, hes been in my opinion the best british footballer now for around 8 years. I see him as our equivilant to Deco minus the diving Wink
    Kroos
    Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
    Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
    Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:01 pm

hmm thats hard, i vote for ballack

no serious

scholes by a mile
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:03 pm

Scholes for me.
    very biased I know.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:11 am

Even at 33. cheers
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:38 am

Spurs Medical Centre™️ wrote:
    Obispo wrote:

Gooners, I apologise.

Scholes or Gerrard (at their peaks) - Page 3 Large
    Arnaud loves Catherine
    Arnaud loves Catherine

Number of posts : 1071
    Supports : PSG
    Favourite Player : C.Ronaldo.Gerrard
    Registration date : 2007-03-25

Post by Arnaud loves Catherine Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:42 am

I go for Stevie. <Ale>

Both are great players.Just Stevie scores goals when it matters and seems a better leader.

i'll always remember when Scholes in WC 1998 missed this easy goals at 2-1 for England..Then the argies scored the tricky free kick ect ect...

People insulted Beckham for this defeat but Scholes missed an easy goal too. <Ale>
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
    Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann

Post by Allez les rouges Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:52 am

Obispo wrote:

Gooners, I apologise.

Very sporting of you!

I was just thinking "hahaha" when I read that comparison.

Arnaud is joking right?
    Arnaud loves Catherine
    Arnaud loves Catherine

Number of posts : 1071
    Supports : PSG
    Favourite Player : C.Ronaldo.Gerrard
    Registration date : 2007-03-25

Post by Arnaud loves Catherine Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:00 pm

Allez les rouges wrote:
    Obispo wrote:

Gooners, I apologise.

Very sporting of you!

I was just thinking "hahaha" when I read that comparison.

Arnaud is joking right?
    i remember he missed an easy goal...Can try to find it on youtube.
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:12 pm

In terms of technical class and footballing brain (and international record), it has to be Scholes though. To be fair Gerrard has a few factors on his side as well.
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115

Post by Roger Hunt Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:49 pm

Allez les rouges wrote:In terms of technical class and footballing brain (and international record), it has to be Scholes though. To be fair Gerrard has a few factors on his side as well.

really?

Scholes: Apps 66 goals 14
    Gerrard: Apps 63 goals 12

Sod all difference to be honest. Neither have been anything like as good for England as they have for their clubs.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:51 pm

Scholes has Argentina 2002, Gerrard has Germany 2001.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:53 pm

Spurs Medical Centre™ wrote:Scholes has Argentina 2002, Gerrard has Germany 2001.

& his double vs Scotland in the Battle of Britain.
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:59 pm

but it's not just about goals, it's about all-round performances – Gerrard often scores when he's still playing $h!t.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:03 pm

Murray wrote:Scholes.

Gerrard is a headless chicken. Both are overrated though.

Surely Scholes was one of the most underrated midfielders in Europe throughout his career?

By the way,

not been bothered to read through every post,

but it must be said that for all of Scholes' ability to maintain the ball, vision and ability,

his tackling is so very very bad that I'd be inclined to say that Gerrard's overall game is better - he is a monster at tackling,

literally every player who plays against Liverpool or joins Liverpool says that Gerrard is one of, if not the best, players they have ever played with. Presumably an ode to the amount of energy he expends in the centre of the park driving things forward.

Scholes is more my kind of player, but there is certainly a real negative feeling surrounding Stevie G on here recently which is probably over the top
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:09 pm

Senor Woody wrote:
    literally every player who plays against Liverpool or joins Liverpool says that Gerrard is one of, if not the best, players they have ever played with. Presumably an ode to the amount of energy he expends in the centre of the park driving things forward.

What a coincidence, the same is said about Scholes too.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:18 pm

Parks lives wrote:
    Senor Woody wrote:

What a coincidence, the same is said about Scholes too.

True. I remember Zidane prior to the game in 2004 saying in a press conference that Scholes was England's key man when all the press were asking him what he thought about beckham, Owen etc. Reckoned he was one of the finest midfielders in Europe at the time.

I dont think Scholes ever got voted into the top 10 players in Europe/World when they did those FIFA UEFA player of the year farces. Hence why he is probably one of the most underrated players in recent years, English ones in particular. Alongside Teddy Sheringham.

Thats the "problem" being Ginger, and not having an agent
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:54 pm

Roger

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:22 pm