Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
COTR
Fey
Kimbo
Axeslammer
Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U
Rez
shazlx
Effenberg
DS
Parks lives
Sgoater1
Batman
16 posters

Man Utd close to Hargreaves deal

Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Man Utd close to Hargreaves deal Empty Man Utd close to Hargreaves deal

Post by Batman Sun May 20, 2007 11:59 am

Manchester United are closing in on Bayern Munich's England midfielder Owen Hargreaves, BBC Sport understands.

Man Utd close to Hargreaves deal _42948037_hargreaves203

Sources in Germany confirmed reports in a German magazine that claim a deal is "close to being done".

United will pay £18m for Hargreaves, 26, and set a record fee for a player from the Bundesliga.

Hargreaves, a long-standing target of United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, will sign a four-year deal with the newly-crowned Premiership champions.

Bayern have promised to spend big following their failure to qualify for next season's Champions League, with chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge ready to carry out "brutal and ruthless" changes to the team.

The German giants have struggled to keep pace with the spending power of Europe's elite, and Rummenigge and advisory board chairman Franz Beckenbauer hinted the sale of players like Hargreaves would fund their rebuilding process.

Beckenbauer said: "We'll have to invest a lot of money if we want to be at the top next year and succeed at home and abroad.

Rummenigge added: "All I can say is that there will be changes in every area of the team, some players will come and some players will go."

According to reports, Bayern will use the proceeds of Hargreaves' sale to fund a bid for Chelsea winger Arjen Robben.

Hargreaves missed Bayern's 5-2 win over Mainz because of a knee injury which means he could have already played his last game for the club after 10 years.

He has played a total of 145 league games and won the Champions League with the Bavarian side in 2001.

Beckenbauer, speaking recently on German television, said: "If it is right there is an offer of 25-30m euros (£17-20m), then I would seriously consider it.

"I think the board also think this way to satisfy the needs of the player."

Hargreaves has been a long-standing United target and the player has expressed a desire to play in England.

Question:

What difference do you think Hargreaves would have made to the Man Utd team yesterday, if he had played instead of Fletcher?
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Man Utd close to Hargreaves deal Empty Re: Man Utd close to Hargreaves deal

Post by Sgoater1 Sun May 20, 2007 12:08 pm

£18m is a lot of money but he is a great player. Does this mean Rooney will play up on his own next season with Scholes behind him ? or will Hargreaves and Carrick be rotated ?
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Sun May 20, 2007 12:17 pm

I think it'll be rotated between Scholes, Carrick and Hargreaves, Goater. 2 out of 3, with maybe all 3 playing in certain games - Europe etc.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City

Post by Sgoater1 Sun May 20, 2007 12:24 pm

Parks lives wrote:I think it'll be rotated between Scholes, Carrick and Hargreaves, Goater. 2 out of 3, with maybe all 3 playing in certain games - Europe etc.

Yeah thats sounds like the best thing to do. Do you think this will mean the end of Fletcher ?
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Sun May 20, 2007 12:33 pm

Fletch will be the 4th choice midfielder , Liverpool will have Momo as 4th choice and Lucas as 5th (if they keep their current players) so that is ok.
    Hope this is the start of the summer not the end , price is too high for my liking.
    Effenberg
    Effenberg

Number of posts : 3975

Post by Effenberg Sun May 20, 2007 12:38 pm

The deal was announced by a Bayern board member on TV this morning. You got him.
    DS
    DS

Post by DS Sun May 20, 2007 12:53 pm

I know Effe.
    DS
    DS

Post by DS Sun May 20, 2007 12:59 pm

Bayern Munich president Franz Beckenbauer has confirmed that Owen Hargreaves will leave the club for Manchester United this summer.

The England international has long been a target for Red Devils chief Sir Alex Ferguson, with Bayern fending off interest from Old Trafford last summer.

Hargreaves has made no secret of his desire to move to Old Trafford and in the face of renewed interest from United and the midfielder's desire to move on, Bayern's stance has softened in recent weeks.

Bayern are planning an overhaul of their playing staff after falling well short in the Bundesliga and a reported £17million deal will hand the club a substantial transfer kitty.

German magazine Spiegel reported on its website a deal had been agreed and Beckenbauer has confirmed the 26-year-old will head to England this summer.

"Owen is leaving," Beckenbauer told Germany's DSF sports television network. "That was the player's wish.

"It's a good match and it's also a good deal financially."
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Sun May 20, 2007 1:20 pm

Effenberg wrote:The deal was announced by a Bayern board member on TV this morning. You got him.

<Ale>
    shazlx
    shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
    Supports : Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
    Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx Sun May 20, 2007 2:05 pm

Pure speculation from unidentifiable sources: ManU only paid £12-14M but the £17M has leaked for Bayern to save face.

(herd it on the Radio but can't remember who said it and what position they have to get this information)
    Rez

Number of posts : 3757
    Registration date : 2006-10-06

Post by Rez Sun May 20, 2007 2:11 pm

shazlx wrote:Pure speculation from unidentifiable sources: ManU only paid £12-14M but the £17M has leaked for Bayern to save face.

(herd it on the Radio but can't remember who said it and what position they have to get this information)

I hope so, but united always pay over the odds for players and English players cost roughly 30-40% more than they are worth, so £17m wouldnt surprise me.
    Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U
    Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U

Number of posts : 3621
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Patrice Evra
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U Sun May 20, 2007 2:13 pm

Hope so shazlx Laughing

18m for me is too much.
    Effenberg
    Effenberg

Number of posts : 3975

Post by Effenberg Sun May 20, 2007 2:16 pm

Actually I heard 17m pounds plus extra payments if/when ManU win titles. By English standards the price is perfectly ok. Hargreaves is so much better than people (in he UK) realize.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Sun May 20, 2007 2:21 pm

17m pounds for a reserve player, not a bad deal for Bayern ok
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Sun May 20, 2007 2:35 pm

Effenberg wrote:Actually I heard 17m pounds plus extra payments if/when ManU win titles. By English standards the price is perfectly ok. Hargreaves is so much better than people (in he UK) realize.

By top 4 standards you mean, no non-top 4 club could ever spend £17m on a player like Hargreaves, i think most English clubs would be looking to spend a maximum of £8m on a player of his type.

Last edited by on Sun May 20, 2007 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    DS
    DS

Post by DS Sun May 20, 2007 2:35 pm

Reserve player ?
    Definately dont watch Bayern.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Sun May 20, 2007 2:36 pm

...this is like 2006 all over again Very Happy
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Sun May 20, 2007 2:42 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    Effenberg wrote:Actually I heard 17m pounds plus extra payments if/when ManU win titles. By English standards the price is perfectly ok. Hargreaves is so much better than people (in he UK) realize.

By top 4 standards you mean, no non-top 4 club could ever spend £17m on a player like Hargreaves, i think most English clubs would be looking to spend a maximum of £8m on a player of his type.
    ok

carrick and hargreaves for a combined total of around 35 million is a totally frightening reflection on today's transfer market

Still the papers today are reporting jenas to be worth 15 million and lescott 10 million. Laughing

incredible
    Rez

Post by Rez Sun May 20, 2007 3:03 pm

COTR wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

ok

carrick and hargreaves for a combined total of around 35 million is a totally frightening reflection on today's transfer market

Still the papers today are reporting jenas to be worth 15 million and lescott 10 million. Laughing

incredible

Micah Richards rated at £18m, Bale at £10m, Bent at £20m the price of young English/Welsh players is ridiculous.

£35m seems alot for Carrick and Hargreaves, but when the selling club knows that a rich club are interested the price goes through the roof, see SWP as an example. Its the way the markets works and selling clubs do very well out of this market. You cant afford to buy unproven players when your at the top and you want to stay at the top as, Wenger is finding out.
    Rez

Post by Rez Sun May 20, 2007 3:09 pm

Its good news for the England national team, that teams like United are buying English players.
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115

Post by Roger Hunt Sun May 20, 2007 3:15 pm

Rez wrote:Its good news for the England national team, that teams like United are buying English players.

I don't understand the logic of that that, Rez?
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Sun May 20, 2007 3:17 pm

Roger Hunt wrote:
    Rez wrote:Its good news for the England national team, that teams like United are buying English players.

Ditto
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403

Post by Sheffield gunner Sun May 20, 2007 3:18 pm

I agree to an extent, but I also feel that the English national team would benefit from some of our players playing in the other top European leagues so it is a bit of a shame that Hargreaves is leaving Germany. I guess this will make the next England squad entirely domestic-based. After a few players moved to Spain a couple of seasons ago, they all seem to be returning to the Premiership now.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sun May 20, 2007 3:18 pm

Luis wrote:
    Roger Hunt wrote:

Ditto

Ditto Ditto
    AsianBoy
    AsianBoy

Number of posts : 2950
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by AsianBoy Sun May 20, 2007 3:18 pm

COTR wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

ok

incredible
    it is not worth buying him with18m.too dear!
    BTW, for which did Carrick play before coming to Red Devil?
    COTR
    COTR

Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Sun May 20, 2007 3:19 pm

Roger Hunt wrote:

I think he means arsenal are not helping the english team

but buying english players has hardly had a direct impact on the english team in the past few years has it?

Hargreaves won't play any better than he did at the world cup now that he has boosted his bank account
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sun May 20, 2007 3:19 pm

Cking wrote:
    COTR wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

ok

incredible

He played for the Lilywhite Spurs.
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403

Post by Sheffield gunner Sun May 20, 2007 3:19 pm

Cking wrote: BTW, for which did Carrick play before coming to Red Devil?

Carrick played for Tottenham before joining Man Utd
    DS
    DS

Post by DS Sun May 20, 2007 3:20 pm

Me neither , the only good English players get from being played in the prem is that media can see them regularly otherwise they are forgotten(unless you are DB) , its better to play in diverse leagues or cultures.
    COTR
    COTR

Post by COTR Sun May 20, 2007 3:20 pm

Cking wrote:
    COTR wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:

ok

incredible

Spurs

a club that don't sell their best players. isn't that right kimbo Shocked Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:53 pm