Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+25
godof86
Deano
The Floridian
Allez les rouges
theflyingfrenchman
Deluded F*ck™
COTR
Isco Benny
Sheffield gunner
shazlx
Ricardo Jol
DD
The Pröfessör
fcb
Pierre Littbarski
SuperMario
Sgoater1
Tweesus
Axeslammer
lrdsucksgoats
Zack
Parks lives
Rosicky
Kimbo
72-76-80-96-08
29 posters

Tottenham or Arsenal

Poll

Spurs or Arsenal

[ 16 ]
    Tottenham or Arsenal - Page 2 Bar_left31%Tottenham or Arsenal - Page 2 Bar_right [31%] 
    [ 35 ]
    Tottenham or Arsenal - Page 2 Bar_left69%Tottenham or Arsenal - Page 2 Bar_right [69%] 

Total Votes: 51
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Number of posts : 9523
    Supports : Decentralisation of the state
    Favourite Player : The lesser spotted Ronaldo
    Registration date : 2007-02-25

Tottenham or Arsenal - Page 2 Empty Re: Tottenham or Arsenal

Post by lrdsucksgoats Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:27 am

Tweedle wrote:
    ballack wrote:

You have the same money as Spurs, your nearest rival for the final CL spot. West Ham, Man U and Chelsea have more money than you. Everyone else is equal to or below.

Newcastle will have more to spend than us.

You could be right there. Okay, so that's four clubs with more to spend than you.

Just you watch, I bet we actually have a net spend in the minuses by the end of the summer

Alright, I'll wait and see.

What about what happened this season? Got nowhere in the CL, nowhere in any domestic cup except the joke one, and finished 4th after a season being completely off the pace? Would that be 'just fine'?

Yes

Really? I think that you, Wenger and the club in general should be aiming higher. On the other hand, if you can sell out 60,000 while finishing fourth then fair play to you.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:21 am

I think we have to lower our expectations a bit.

Over the course of two seasons we've lost the likes of Pires, Henry, Vieira, Campbell, Cole and Bergkamp - these players are virtually impossible to replace unless you have a blank cheque book - we've brought in adequate replacements I feel and these adequate replacements could well make the step up, but thats just speculation at the moment. Of the players brough in, Rosicky, Cesc and RVP all look like they could go on to become top class players but I don't see the likes of Diaby, Djourou and Adebayor as the next Vieiras, Campbells and Henrys - so for me, 4th in the league, 16 th in the CL, a elague cup final and an earlyish exist in the FA cup would be 'fine' for this season aynway - especially when many are predicting that we're under serious pressure from Spurs.
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Post by lrdsucksgoats Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:29 pm

Tweedle wrote:I think we have to lower our expectations a bit.

Over the course of two seasons we've lost the likes of Pires, Henry, Vieira, Campbell, Cole and Bergkamp - these players are virtually impossible to replace unless you have a blank cheque book -

Or unless you replace them prior to them leaving. Wenger managed this with regard to Campbell and Vieira because Toure and Fabregas are among the best players in their positions in the league and should get better still. But Pires, Bergkamp and Henry is a huge loss to your attack in terms of maturity. Sure, Van Persie was incredible for a few months last season and if he can repeat that sort of form then that's one down.

we've brought in adequate replacements I feel and these adequate replacements could well make the step up, but thats just speculation at the moment. Of the players brough in, Rosicky, Cesc and RVP all look like they could go on to become top class players

I find it a little odd that you'd include Rosicky, as he's isn't THAT young. If he's going to become a world class player then he should be one by now. I like the guy, but he doesn't score enough goals to truly replace Pires.

but I don't see the likes of Diaby, Djourou and Adebayor as the next Vieiras, Campbells and Henrys

Aside from that expression that irritates the Cr@p outta me (making an individual item plural for no apparent reason) I agree - they are good players but they'll never be world class, and Vieira, Campbell and Henry were world class.

- so for me, 4th in the league, 16 th in the CL, a elague cup final and an earlyish exist in the FA cup would be 'fine' for this season aynway - especially when many are predicting that we're under serious pressure from Spurs.

Okay, I see where you're coming from with this. As I've said, you're still a goalpoacher/regular scoring midfielder and a proper winger away from having a very good squad, and Gilberto will be added to the list of players who need replacing soon enough. I suppose Wenger's got to decide whether he wants another five years at the club trying to get the squad back to the level it was at circa 2004 without the help of David Dein...
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Sheffield gunner Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:56 pm

Think that's a fair assessment Saints. I still feel that Rosicky has enough ability to replace Pires. He won't replicate his goalscoring but he can and should score a reasonable number. Don't forget, Pires was hardly prolific when he arrived at Arsenal and he was older than Rosicky. He only scored 13 goals in 88 games at Marseille, and had a slow start at Arsenal as well. Some players just need to mature or find a new system to get the best out of them. As I said, I can't imagine Rosicky ever getting 15+ goals a season, but he can get 8-10, and if other players, like Fabregas, do the same then we can make up for the loss of Pires.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:08 pm

I agree with what sheffield gunner has said.

Its true, he is far from young, but in his first season he's been impressive if not prolific - and he clearly has the technique to be able to score more, unlike Hleb.

If he settles into the system its possible that he could up his tally and go some way towards replacing Pires.

Regarding Gilberto, I think the plan is to make Denilson that replacement - he's probably more dynamic than Gilberto but I think if some positional discipline is drilled into him then Denilson could become a top class player for us, technically at least, he is already superior to Gilberto
    lrdsucksgoats
    lrdsucksgoats

Post by lrdsucksgoats Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:23 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:Think that's a fair assessment Saints.

Makes a pleasant change...

I still feel that Rosicky has enough ability to replace Pires. He won't replicate his goalscoring but he can and should score a reasonable number. Don't forget, Pires was hardly prolific when he arrived at Arsenal and he was older than Rosicky. He only scored 13 goals in 88 games at Marseille, and had a slow start at Arsenal as well. Some players just need to mature or find a new system to get the best out of them. As I said, I can't imagine Rosicky ever getting 15+ goals a season, but he can get 8-10, and if other players, like Fabregas, do the same then we can make up for the loss of Pires.

I'm not convinced - Rosicky has never, ever, ever scored more than 6 goals in a season, and his career goals/games stands at 28 in 182. While I appreciate your point about getting used to systems, Rosicky has never been prolific in any team, in any league, at any level. He is, as they say, a scorer of great goals, not a great goal scorer. Sure, he'll get you 3 or 4 absolute blockbusters a season, but he won't got belting inside from the left side of the area to place them in the corners every other week, like Pires had the habit of doing.

I maintain - flog Hleb and buy someone for the right hand side who
    1) can actually play as a winger i.e. stay out wide, dribble past people and cross a ball
    2) score goals regularly
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City

Post by Sgoater1 Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:53 pm

ballack wrote:

You have the same money as Spurs, your nearest rival for the final CL spot. West Ham, Man U and Chelsea have more money than you. Everyone else is equal to or below.

Us and Liverpool will have more money to spend this summer than you aswell id have thought?
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:21 pm

Darling wrote:who of the two is going to win the North-London EPL race in the league

Question

who will come on top Question

Arsenal have lost their talisman, Henry; even if the replacement can score as many goals, the team's inspiration is gone; the dressing room will almost certainly feel somewhat dejected; Cesc admitted that EVERYBODY was looking up to Henry, his incredible workrate, even in training

Arsenal had problems replacing Vieira , despite some good games by the Spanish teenager; the same fate could await them post-Henry

Spurs meanwhile could hold on to Berbatov who will be even better next season; add a few clever reinforcements and they won't get weaker

Spurs of course. Arsenal can now only dream of lining up a forward in Berbatov's league- RVP is the nearest thing they have to the great man, but he isnt a target man/high scoring striker in the Henry mould.

Meanwhile, SPurs also CLEARLY have the better midfield- Lennon, Zokora and Huddlestone EASILY a match for the misfiring Hleb, the goal shy Francesc Fabregas, the temperamental Gilberto and sicknote himself Freddy Calvin Llungberg.

Factor in the purchase of a top class left winger is high on the Spurs agenda, with the gifted but rough diamond that is Wayne Routledge likely to be an able deputy, and Spurs will have the personell to play a wide game with wingers. As United have shown this is the way to win football matches in the Premiership, alongside fielding English talent who appreciate the culture of the football here. Not like Arsenals' foreign legion.

Finally the managers- with Martin Troll sporting the Largest Head in football (tm) there is plenty of greay matter space for another season of learning and adapting to the game here. Tactically the man is clearly improving, whilst Wenger appears each season to be losing the plot more and more- irrational outbursts, moments of visual impairment, a penchance for young boys, inability to replace big names such as Viera and now Henry, laughable attempts at exerting physical violence despite his meek Mr Burns appearance, and generally coming across more and more bitter every year,

its clearly the Jolfather whose career is on the up whilst Wenger's is on the slide.

The same will occur on the pitch.

Mark. My. Words. Im never wrong. Hardly. <Ale>
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:31 pm

I think you have just set yourself up for an almighty ottoesque bump TRWP Wink
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:24 pm

Its being bookmarked as I type ok

Not really, typing AND bookmarking at the same time would require concentration of Biblical proportions
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:25 pm

I am Mum-Ra wrote:
    Darling wrote:who of the two is going to win the North-London EPL race in the league

Question

who will come on top Question

Arsenal have lost their talisman, Henry; even if the replacement can score as many goals, the team's inspiration is gone; the dressing room will almost certainly feel somewhat dejected; Cesc admitted that EVERYBODY was looking up to Henry, his incredible workrate, even in training

Arsenal had problems replacing Vieira , despite some good games by the Spanish teenager; the same fate could await them post-Henry

Spurs meanwhile could hold on to Berbatov who will be even better next season; add a few clever reinforcements and they won't get weaker

Spurs of course. Arsenal can now only dream of lining up a forward in Berbatov's league- RVP is the nearest thing they have to the great man, but he isnt a target man/high scoring striker in the Henry mould.

Meanwhile, SPurs also CLEARLY have the better midfield- Lennon, Zokora and Huddlestone EASILY a match for the misfiring Hleb, the goal shy Francesc Fabregas, the temperamental Gilberto and sicknote himself Freddy Calvin Llungberg.

Factor in the purchase of a top class left winger is high on the Spurs agenda, with the gifted but rough diamond that is Wayne Routledge likely to be an able deputy, and Spurs will have the personell to play a wide game with wingers. As United have shown this is the way to win football matches in the Premiership, alongside fielding English talent who appreciate the culture of the football here. Not like Arsenals' foreign legion.

Finally the managers- with Martin Troll sporting the Largest Head in football (tm) there is plenty of greay matter space for another season of learning and adapting to the game here. Tactically the man is clearly improving, whilst Wenger appears each season to be losing the plot more and more- irrational outbursts, moments of visual impairment, a penchance for young boys, inability to replace big names such as Viera and now Henry, laughable attempts at exerting physical violence despite his meek Mr Burns appearance, and generally coming across more and more bitter every year,

its clearly the Jolfather whose career is on the up whilst Wenger's is on the slide.

The same will occur on the pitch.

Mark. My. Words. Im never wrong. Hardly. <Ale>

Xmas has come early - what a great post! santa
    cheers Gift

I think if we want to make the step up we're going to have to make a few Ballsy moves.

We have no chance of getting in as long as we have Robinson in net. A great 'keeper can make a decent defender look World Class (Buffon/Cannavaro) (Cech Terry) (Schmeichel/Steve Bruce), but a great defender can't do the same for a decent/mediocre 'keeper (Puyol/Valdes), (Gallas/Barthez), (King/Robinson)... So that has to be sorted. Amelia or Akinfeev would be my choices.

On Darren Bent - I seriously hope it's paper talk... Our club record signing could be... Darren Bent Neutral . Especially when Henry went to Barca for the same price & Anelka would cost a lot cheaper - and that's who I really want. We'd look like right mugs if we spent that much on Bent, whilst Anelka is there for £5m cheper Along wth Quaresma - who'd add the type of magic on the wings not seen since Ginola, & before that Chris Waddle.

Do a swap with Man City for Mido - get Darius Vasell in return so he can be our 4th striker.

Sell Defoe (as much as I like him & have to defend him on here) - and go after Anelka. We wouldn't lose any money doing so - and we'd have a much better balanced striking stable because of it - 3 high quality forwards where there isn't an issue playing any 2 of the 3 together.

Ideal XI for 2007-08:

--------------------------------Akinfeev/Amelia

Chimbonda-------------Dawson---------King (c)----------Bale/Assou-Ekotto

Jenas-------------------Zokora---------Huddlestone-------------Quaresma

---------------------------Keane/Berbatov/Anelka*

*I'd be confident with any 2 of the 3.

If it were to gel together quickly, who knows? But right now, I have to concede that we're not ready for the top 4 in either talent or mentality.
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:31 pm

TS, that would require some seriously heavy spending, and beating some big clubs to players like Quaresma.

Akinfeev, Quaresma and Anelka would surely set you back 40-50m pds.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:31 pm

Lennon dropped? Have you finally realised that i've been talking sense?
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:45 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:TS, that would require some seriously heavy spending, and beating some big clubs to players like Quaresma.

Akinfeev, Quaresma and Anelka would surely set you back 40-50m pds.

I'd sell to make up some as well...

I'm sure we can sell Defoe, & Robinson for a combined £10-12m.

If we really have got £17m to spend on Bent - why not direct it elsewhere... some people are saying that Quaresma can be had for that much... It's a big ask - but these are the moves we have to try to make...Same goes for Akinfeev.

Anelka will at most cost £3-4m more than what we sell Defoe for. Robinson & Defoe can still command a high value because they're "Young & English"

-------------------------------------------------

@Kimmy - No it's just unrealistic to expect Lennon to be the only winger in the Entire squad yet again this season... he coped very well - but predictably - he burnt out in the end.

Still got more end product than that Milner guy though, eh? Wink
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:54 pm

Amelia would be very preferable to Akinfeev.

I honestly don't think Akinfeev is at all realistic what with the CSKA-Abrahmovich links and the fact he'd want CL football.

Also Free>>>>>£20m - it allows you to concentrate on other areas of the squad and Amelia is a more than adequate keeper - though I'd love to se Jol trying to justify why he's picking a fourth choice Italian keeper over the 'world class' England number 1 to the MOTD team king

I'm 95% sure Robbo will be your number one next season anyway - Jol seems to rate him so unlucky Wink
    theflyingfrenchman
    theflyingfrenchman

Number of posts : 4290
    Supports : BWFC, France, Rennes, Auxerre, Lorient
    Favourite Player : Diouf, Anelka, Diagne-Faye, Henry, Toulalan
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Post by theflyingfrenchman Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:12 pm

Parks lives wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:
    Darling wrote:which players are Spurs REALISTICALLY going for in the transfer market

They've already got Bale. They're going for Kaboul(pretty much done i think), Bent, and a left winger.

If they get a good left winger and this Kaboul is an adequote replacement for King when he is injured they will be strong in all areas.

Still going to be hard to get 4th though.

This Kaboul is going to push Dawson on the bench.
    theflyingfrenchman
    theflyingfrenchman

Post by theflyingfrenchman Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:18 pm

TS, you do realise Anelka's exit clause is for CL playing clubs only, i.e. not you? I doubt Lee or the board would let Anelka go to your shabby lot, unless you could pay BIG money. There's no way we'd let him go to another club fighting for the same places. The Big 4 maybe but that'd be it.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:19 pm

theflyingfrenchman wrote:TS, you do realise Anelka's exit clause is for CL playing clubs only, i.e. not you? I doubt Lee or the board would let Anelka go to your shabby lot, unless you could pay BIG money. There's no way we'd let him go to another club fighting for the same places. The Big 4 maybe but that'd be it.

I don't understand this clause.

First it was rumoured to be £8 million for CL clubs, then yesterday Arsenal we're going to sign him for £10 million.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:22 pm

Parks lives wrote:
    theflyingfrenchman wrote:TS, you do realise Anelka's exit clause is for CL playing clubs only, i.e. not you? I doubt Lee or the board would let Anelka go to your shabby lot, unless you could pay BIG money. There's no way we'd let him go to another club fighting for the same places. The Big 4 maybe but that'd be it.

First it was rumoured to be £8 million for CL clubs, then yesterday Arsenal we're going to sign him for £10 million.

The papers probably aren't sure - it'll be about £7-12m I imagine but they're just speculating
    theflyingfrenchman
    theflyingfrenchman

Post by theflyingfrenchman Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:24 pm

Parks lives wrote:

I'm guessing it exists, but that they just make up the numbers in the hope thay they'll get it right eventually.
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
    Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann

Post by Allez les rouges Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:51 pm

Some interesting posts here, good stuff even from the Spurs crowd Yikes

Stewart Robson in the Torygraph (usually very perceptive) yesterday thought we should go for Defoe...

Oh god... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Putain Titi, on ne t'oubliera jamais, on t'aimera à jamais Crying or Very sad
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:15 pm

Defoe!

What a step back that would be - even in the Spurs system, which is anything should suit him more than any other system, he's hardly been prolific
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Pröfessör Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:54 pm

We won't go for Defoe
    The Floridian

Number of posts : 41
    Supports : Arsenal!!!!!Arsenal AND VAN PERSIE IS THE NEW VAN BASTEN
    Favourite Player : Student
    Registration date : 2007-03-08

Post by The Floridian Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:21 pm

@TS you guys aren't going to sell any of your "Young & English" Players because you guys seemed to have taken this Talented English Player ethic (A good marketing technique because all those people who hate Arsenal for being so "foreign" will love Spurs for being so "English" Which in the end gets you more neutrals or as I like to call them "Fashionable Fans") Anyway what I'm tryna get at is that your dreams of Quaresma and Anelka aint ever gonna happen because it seems Spurs will just look for the English alternative, so look for you guys for make a move for Downing later in the summer...
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:03 pm

lol! lol! lol! Laugh Laugh Laugh Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tottenham or Arsenal - Page 2 Leaguetableoct
    Zack

Number of posts : 1571
    Supports : Tottenham Hotspur
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by Zack Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:08 pm

Crying or Very sad

If there's any consolation for us.......were out of the bottom 3....
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:24 pm

A Tribe Called Quaresma™️ wrote:If it were to gel together quickly, who knows? But right now, I have to concede that we're not ready for the top 4 in either talent or mentality.

Erm
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:28 pm

A Tribe Called Quaresma™ wrote:I'm sure we can sell Defoe, & Robinson for a combined £10-12m.

No way - I can't see anyone paying £11.75m for Defoe.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:32 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:
    A Tribe Called Quaresma™️ wrote:I'm sure we can sell Defoe, & Robinson for a combined £10-12m.

No way - I can't see anyone paying £11.75m for Defoe.

Laugh

Sunderland/Roy Keane will buy Robinson for £8m once Gordon moves on to inevitably greener pastures pirat
    godof86
    godof86

Number of posts : 630
    Supports : Barcelona, Arsenal, Mohun Bagan, Argentina
    Favourite Player : Diego Maradona
    Registration date : 2007-03-20

Post by godof86 Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:46 am

Nice one, this thread. I had just started on this forum when this thread came in...

Well, what can I say but for St. Totteringham day might come in surprisingly early this season....

jonathan de guzman wrote:
    jonathan de guzman wrote:Arsenal

St. Totteringham day will be April 19th this season.

ST. TOTTERINGHAM DAY is the day in the season when Tottenham can no longer finish above Arsenal in the league. It is of course a moveable feast, and usually marked by the exchange of banknotes around the country, as Spurs-supporting mates face up to the fact that once again their start-of-season optimism has cost them dear.

St Totteringham Day dates last decade (decisive match(es) mentioned below date):

1997 April 9th
    Sheffield Wednesday - Spuds 2-1

1998 March 28th
    Arsenal - Sheffield Wednesday 1-0
    Crystal Palace - Spuds 1-3

1999 April 6th
    Arsenal - Blackburn 1-0

2000 April 16th
    Leeds United - Arsenal 0-4

2001 April 17th
    Spuds - Chelsea 0-3

2002 March 18th
    Spuds - Charlton 0-1

2003 March 24th
    Bolton Wanderers - Spuds 1-0

2004 March 13th
    Blackburn - Arsenal 0-3

2005 April 2nd
    Arsenal - Norwich City 4-1

2006 May 7th

What an amazing day! What an amazing week. Arsenal started the week seven points behind Tottenham. Last week their fans sang “are you watching Arsenal? As they celebrated what they believed would be their entry into the Champions league. Now they are condemned to the obscure back routes of Channel 5. Apparently Jol intends to sue as he was not aware that 4th place was decided on who was best over 38 games.

Meanwhile Wenger told anyone who would listen, possibly a greater number than those who believed him, that Arsenal could still win fourth place. Indeed he had every confidence that the Hammers would beat Spurs, even though seven days later the Irons would play in the cup final.

Then at about noon before the final games were to be played news broke that Spurs were trying to get the game called off due to alleged food poisoning. Gunner’s fans hit the phones, and websites, convinced it was a plot by Spurs to get an advantage by playing the game later in the week.

They need not have worried; by 1: 20 pm Spurs were told they had to play. After all Jol firmly believes that no game should be held up for minor ailments, and a touch of the squits is not a head injury. After all “Play Play Play” was Jol’s dictum, perhaps like Blair’s “education, education, education” a triple emphasis on words evokes a curse. Instant karma perhaps?

Relieved to hear that Spurs would not be able to escape their fate I set off for Highbury.

Coming out of Arsenal station was chaos, as the Police made fans walk through a narrow corridor for hundreds of yards before being let out for a ticket check. No ticket and you were sent away. As soon as that ordeal was over it was a mad rush for programmes. A guy in front of me bought £60 worth, mind you that that was only twelve. But this was no rip off, the final programme is excellent.

For a moment I thought I was in Japan, everyone was photographing everyone and everything. As if the act of photographing could preserve the spirit of Highbury for ever.

Once in the ground I discovered every seat had an “I was there T shirt”. Even the away fans got them. Sheer class, and it turned the ground into a gargantuan living red and white banner.

The atmosphere was amazing, Arsenal fans were determined to give the ground a rousing send off, but more than that, they now believed fourth place was possible. Surely Tottenham always Cr@p it when the chips are down, or was it lasagne?

Even though expectations were high, the game itself, and events at Upton Park, far exceeded them. I can’t remember a more dramatic occasion, apart from the Anderlecht game in 1970. Even when we won leagues at Highbury it was usually down to us only, at least in my lifetime. Now we had to follow two games.

When Pires scored on seven minutes, and the news of an early West Ham goal came through (or at least fans thought so) the crowd gave out an almighty roar, which in the middle of Arsenal conceded the first of two sloppy goals. Arsenal had been ahead for no more than two minutes. Worse was yet to come on 33 minutes Arsenal conceded one of their worst goals of the season. Lehmann did not organise a wall, and stood at the far post as the ball curled and bobbled in at the near. It was utter incompetence. The crowd were stunned, it was not going to the script. Wigan were putting Arsenal under pressure. Could it get worse?

However Captain Henry was having none of it, and within two minutes had the equaliser in the net. Wigan battled on, but when the match resumed after half time they rarely got a look in. On 56 minutes Wigan made a defensive error that ended their chances of a result. A slack back pass was seized on by Henry, the keeper made an excellent attempt to win the ball, but Thierry evaded him and the pursuing defenders to send the ball home. Three – two and now Arsenal were in charge.

Meanwhile Spurs had equalised, and Sherringham had missed a penalty, what a surprise. Henry completed his hat trick with a penalty, and kissed the sacred turf. Hansen and co decided that meant Henry is leaving. I am not so sure, why was Thierry laughing and cheering. Why did he talk about we and us and how great it was that we had put one over Spurs? Why did he talk about we still need to get through the qualifiers next season? Whatever the reason it was a magic moment, the last hat trick at Highbury, scored by the greatest player ever to wear an Arsenal shirt.

Now news of West Ham’s second goal filtered through. “Are you watching Tottenham” but that was not the only chant, Bergkamp wonderland was sung at the loudest ever, Rocky was remembered, as was Paddy. Arsene was cheered to the rafters every time he stepped on to the technical area. One again the crowd loved Freddy, as the "scum down the lane won feck all again, as Campbell had won the double". "Que Sera Sera, what will be will be, for we are off to gay Paree, Que Sera Sera."

Clearly victory was safe at Highbury, but could West Ham hold on? The game finished, and the crowd and players waited for the news. Within seconds a thousand tranny men declared it was over. The crowd went mad, so did Arsene, Henry, and the team. It was amazing – it eclipsed the closing ceremony – nothing could be better.

This was as good as it gets. St Totteringham day had come late, some feared it would never arrive, but arrive it had, and it was the sweetest one of all.

(by Boris Meller Arsenal Times)

2007 April 21st

2008 April 19th

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:48 pm