Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+34
RedDevil
BoBo Vieri 32
The Easter Bunny
The Pröfessör
bluenine
Isco Benny
Bashmachkin
S4P
stinger
Xavier
Rosicky
Di Caniooooo!
Kroos
Murray
Super Progress
COTR
The Chosen Glenn
rosenthal
blutgraetsche
Deluded F*ck™
Jaime
shazlx
messiah
TheCrazy58
Pierre Littbarski
christmasborocooper
debaser
Pras_tama
Roger Hunt
Axeslammer
110%
Kimbo
Fey
Luis
38 posters

Todays Transfer Rumours

debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Todays Transfer Rumours - Page 10 Empty Re: Todays Transfer Rumours

Post by debaser Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:13 pm

Kimbo wrote:Eto'o signing for Everton

smart move - should be a good player for Lukaku to learn from.
    stinger

Number of posts : 6477
    Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:58 pm

debaser wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:Eto'o signing for Everton

smart move - should be a good player for Lukaku to learn from.
    Agree, very happy with this signing.
    stinger

Post by stinger Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:03 pm

Super Progress wrote:
    Deluded F*ck™ wrote:It's like the Mata signing - it's big name desperation.

If you bring Di Maria in, they won't be able to get the best out of all 4 of him and Rooney/RVP/Mata consistently.

Di Maria being the world's most expensive Wing-back?

--------------De Gea

------Jones---Evans----Smalling

Valencia--Herrara--MC/DF*-----Di Maria
    ---------------Mata

----------Rooney-----RVP

* = Mchael Carrick/Darren Fletcher.

Luke Shaw gets screwed over by the above formation.

Or he plays in his best position on the right of the 3 behind the striker but one of Rooney/RVP becomes ineffective.

It would be madness if he keeps the same system now that they have Di Maria. I expect them to go over to a 4-3-3. The question is if they will use Di Maria in central midfield like he did last year where he flourished or if he will play as a winger. If it is the former than Mata could play on the right and Rooney on the left with Shaw at leftback. It may work out that way.
    It's difficult to play 4-3-3 for them, because (even van Gaal stated it) they can't use Rooney and van Persie there. Plus it's also not a perfect formation for Mata.

If van Gaal plans to keep 3-5-2 only place for Di Maria is IMO to play him as one of the forwards, really don't think making him a wingback makes any sense and with Herrera they also can't use him as one of the CMs. But of course playing Di Maria as forward (in Robben mould) makes it again necessary to drop Rooney or RVP.

Since MU still is unable to sign any wingers only thing that makes sense is narrow diamond: De Gea - Rafael, Jones, Evans, Shaw - Carrick - Di Maria, Herrera - Mata - Rooney, van Persie. Its still far from perfect, but more or less would allow to bring some good performances from their top players.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:20 pm

Eto'o is a solid buy for Everton. I would have been happy with him here as a third/4th choice striker.
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by The Pröfessör Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:38 pm

4-4-2 diamond is the best formation for the current Man U squad (same for us btw).

---------Rooney-Van Judas
    ---------------Mata
    ---Di Maria--Carrick----Herrera----
    Shaw------Rojo----Evans---Rafael
    ---------------De Gea

Di Maria played in a similar position for Argentina under Sabella. I think he had a dual role (probably coz of his lungs and being naturally a wide player), provided them width when he was on the ball but dropped back to CM without the ball.

This formation gets the best out of Rooney, Mata and Van Judas.

It also suddenly gives them a lot of depth at CB; 5 CBs (Smalling, Jones, Evans, Rojo, Blackets) all fighting for only 2 spots.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:48 pm

Stinger
    They could use RVP as the striker and Rooney on the left cutting in and Mata doing the same from right. Di Maria+Shaw will take care of the wing play anyway. Mata will be further up the field but it isn't ideal of course. The diamond makes perfect sense.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:12 pm

The Pröfessör wrote:4-4-2 diamond is the best formation for the current Man U squad (same for us btw).

---------------Mata
    ---------------De Gea

Di Maria played in a similar position for Argentina under Sabella. I think he had a dual role (probably coz of his lungs and being naturally a wide player), provided them width when he was on the ball but dropped back to CM without the ball.

It also suddenly gives them a lot of depth at CB; 5 CBs (Smalling, Jones, Evans, Rojo, Blackets) all fighting for only 2 spots.

The defence still looks shite to me.
    stinger

Post by stinger Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:21 pm

The Pröfessör wrote:4-4-2 diamond is the best formation for the current Man U squad (same for us btw).
    Interesting, I never thought about this one. How would you lined-up Arsenal in this formation?

The Pröfessör wrote:

I don't think it gets the best out of Rooney, RVP and Mata. First two don't seem to be perfect striker partnership (lack of pace between them on Top level has to be one of the reasons), plus Mata potentially can feel better playing behind lone striker. But it's better than any other formation van Gaal can use at the moment.

But now I think it would make more sense to play Rojo as LB and drop Shaw - you don't need your left back to offer width so much, cause Di Maria (and Mata too) will be naturally drifting there. Plus you have extra body for set pieces.
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:25 pm

Todays Transfer Rumours - Page 10 PremierleagueSquadcosts

More LOLLING at Man United. Doesn't even include the £60m pound man
    COTR
    COTR

Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:27 pm

---------------Mata
    ---------------De Gea

- No depth in midfield at all
    - Defence is bang average
    - Mata / Rooney / RVP is not looking like it will ever be an effective threesome
    - Very little pace in the team still

They will still be struggling around 4th/5th/6th with this side
    Pras_tama
    Pras_tama

Number of posts : 2101
    Supports : Manchester United & Indonesia NT
    Favourite Player : Scholes
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

Post by Pras_tama Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:51 pm

I think Van Gaal is too proud to change his new favorite system so he is gonna stick with the 3-4-1-2:

---------------DDG
    ------Jones---Evans---Rojo
    Valencia--Herrera--Carrick--Di Maria
    ---------------Mata
    ----------Rooney--RvP

Di Maria has an amazing work rate (and someone above has mentioned that he has amazing lungs) so it won't be a problem for him to go up and down covering the left flank.
    COTR
    COTR

Post by COTR Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:02 pm

That team looks horrible Pras
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:10 pm

You can play around with the formation as much as you like, until they get a dominant CB and CM they aren't finishing top 4.
    Pras_tama
    Pras_tama

Post by Pras_tama Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:14 pm

COTR wrote:That team looks horrible Pras
    It hasn't been played yet so we don't know it yet Razz

Kimbo wrote:You can play around with the formation as much as you like, until they get a dominant CB and CM they aren't finishing top 4.

Di Maria won't be the last,, We've made bid for Vidal again
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:47 pm

Pras_tama wrote:
    It hasn't been played yet so we don't know it yet  Razz

Kimbo wrote:You can play around with the formation as much as you like, until they get a dominant CB and CM they aren't finishing top 4.

Pras, like we discussed before, if I were LvG, the 3 players I would have bought were Benatia, Vidal and Cuadrado.

Benatia just joined Bayern for Eur 26m + 4m bonuses. I am surprised Man Utd let this one go, he could have been that solution in the defense. Top CBs are not easy to find in the last week of the window...

Vidal will not be easy in the last week. I can see Juve raising their price.

PS: If its a wingback LvG wanted, then Cuadrado was a better option than Di Maria - and would have cost half as much. You already invested so much on Luke Shaw for the left wing. Di Maria can be an improvement on Mata though.
    Pras_tama
    Pras_tama

Post by Pras_tama Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:52 pm

bluenine wrote:
    Pras_tama wrote:

Man Utd target Benatia just joined Bayern for Eur 26m + 4m bonuses. I am surprised Man Utd let this one go, he could have been that solution in the defense. Top CBs are not easy to find in the last week of the window...

PS: If its a wingback LvG wanted, then Cuadrado was a better option than Di Maria - and would have cost half as much. You already invested so much on Luke Shaw for the left wing. Di Maria can be an improvement on Mata though.

Benatia wants Champions League football which we don't have at the moment.

Cuadrado's best position is the right flank where we already have Valencia there. And we need big name signing to bring the excitement back.

Not sure why you say that Di Maria is an improvement on Mata as they play in different positions
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Pröfessör Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:56 pm

stinger wrote:
    Interesting, I never thought about this one. How would you lined-up Arsenal in this formation?

The Pröfessör wrote:

I don't think it gets the best out of Rooney, RVP and Mata. First two don't seem to be perfect striker partnership (lack of pace between them on Top level has to be one of the reasons), plus Mata potentially can feel better playing behind lone striker. But it's better than any other formation van Gaal can use at the moment.

But now I think it would make more sense to play Rojo as LB and drop Shaw - you don't need your left back to offer width so much, cause Di Maria (and Mata too) will be naturally drifting there. Plus you have extra body for set pieces.

--------Alexis----Theo
    --------------Ozil
    ----Wilshere-Arteta-Ramsey------
    Gibbs----Kos-----Merte---Debuchy
    -------------Chesney

Our best/most talented players IMO are : Ozil, Ramsey, Sanchez, Wilshere and I believe they are all at their best playing central, therefore, we should play a formation that gets the best out of them (ie allows them to play central). Besides, almost all the other players in our squad look better in central areas too:

Theo, who is our most effective player along with Ramsey, is often listed as a wide player, but he plays a lot in a 2nd striker role in practice (in the last few years). Podolski also works best in a front 2 IMO.

Cazorla is a liability out wide without the ball in the 4-2-3-1 we played last season. He's much better playing as part of a midfield 3 or behind the striker. Playing him and Giroud as part of a front 3 away from home when we are clearly set up to play on the counter is one of the most idiotic things Wenger has ever done.

An upgrade on Arteta (should be at least 6ft tall) is an absolute must though, I'd personally play Chambers ahead of him if we bring no one in, at least his strength in the air would allow us to play 2 midgets upfront.

Really hoping to see that front 3 (Ozil behind Alexis and Theo), sick and tired of that slow intricate tika taka nonsense which allows teams to camp around their box waiting to intercept one of the billion passes we try to thread through congested areas and see them have a free run at our goal. More vertical passes to go with a lot of pace and movements upfront please.

Yeah I agree with you Rooney and RVP haven't looked good in a partnership so far, Welbeck playing with 1 of them could work better as he adds a lot of depth to their attack.

There is a very good chance Rojo starts ahead of Shaw at LB, Van Gaal doesn't seem too keen on Shaw according to whispers from the press.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:57 pm

van Gaal is gambling, he doesnt want Vidal, he wants Strootman, but he is fit in the winter. So he wont get a cm at all this window.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:21 pm

Pras_tama wrote:
    bluenine wrote:
    Pras_tama wrote:

Man Utd target Benatia just joined Bayern for Eur 26m + 4m bonuses. I am surprised Man Utd let this one go, he could have been that solution in the defense. Top CBs are not easy to find in the last week of the window...

Cuadrado's best position is the right flank where we already have Valencia there. And we need big name signing to bring the excitement back.

Not sure why you say that Di Maria is an improvement on Mata as they play in different positions

Maybe Real Madrid fans can throw some more light into this, but last season whenever I saw Di Maria really perform well, he was playing as a CM not a winger...
    stinger

Post by stinger Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:24 pm

In 3-4-1-2 definitely the best position for Di Maria and Mata is the same - Central Attacking Midfield.

In 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 its a little bit different - Mata is better in tight spaces, so playing behind lone striker suits him. Di Maria has much better workrate and much better engine, so attacking from deeper positions is probably better for him.

Playing Di Maria as wingback would be a waste - he definitely has lungs for it, but would have awfully lot defensive responsibilities.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:31 pm

I don't think their best team can feature both Rooney and RVP.. Just can't see them working in any of the systems.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:53 pm

The Diamond will get the best out of their attacking talents but the defence will be even more exposed. If they go balls to the wall attacking football then maybe they could overwhelm a lot of teams and repeat what Liverpool did last season.

Oh and Welbeck is coming to Spurs (I hope).
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:11 pm

Todays Transfer Rumours - Page 10 Bv-9R7JIMAAKkyW
    Luis
    Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:21 pm

RVP hasn't looked assed since Fergie left.

debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:30 pm

Di Maria's very good, but I reckon they've paid nearly double what he's worth. considering where he plays, his career goal return is woeful: averages about 1 in 6.

okay, he's more creator than scorer, but still you'd expect an attacking player in his price category to have a much better rate.
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:37 pm

debaser wrote:Di Maria's very good, but I reckon they've paid nearly double what he's worth. considering where he plays, his career goal return is woeful: averages about 1 in 6.

okay, he's more creator than scorer, but still you'd expect an attacking player in his price category to have a much better rate.

Yep. He's no better than Sanchez. This smacks of nothing other than appeasing the fans and a panic buy.
    Pras_tama
    Pras_tama

Post by Pras_tama Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:39 pm

Luis wrote:
    debaser wrote:Di Maria's very good, but I reckon they've paid nearly double what he's worth. considering where he plays, his career goal return is woeful: averages about 1 in 6.

Yep. He's no better than Sanchez. This smacks of nothing other than appeasing the fans and a panic buy.

This is true
    Pras_tama
    Pras_tama

Post by Pras_tama Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:48 pm

bluenine wrote:
    Pras_tama wrote:
    bluenine wrote:
    Pras_tama wrote:

Maybe Real Madrid fans can throw some more light into this, but last season whenever I saw Di Maria really perform well, he was playing as a CM not a winger...

But Mata isn't a CM so I still don't understand the comparison

stinger wrote:In 3-4-1-2 definitely the best position for Di Maria and Mata is the same - Central Attacking Midfield.

In 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 its a little bit different - Mata is better in tight spaces, so playing behind lone striker suits him. Di Maria has much better workrate and much better engine, so attacking from deeper positions is probably better for him.

Playing Di Maria as wingback would be a waste - he definitely has lungs for it, but would have awfully lot defensive responsibilities.

We shall see
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:57 pm

Todays Transfer Rumours - Page 10 Bv_JHCJIAAAmtMG
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:15 pm

COTR wrote:Todays Transfer Rumours - Page 10 PremierleagueSquadcosts

More LOLLING at Man United. Doesn't even include the £60m pound man

Whats the source? Is this before this summer's spending? Coz Everton are at 80m, when they spent like 40m to get Lukaku...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:11 am