Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
The Pröfessör
110%
Deluded F*ck™
Mistletoe.
Super Progress
Parks lives
christmasborocooper
bluenine
toon h
Effenberg
14 posters

Football myths

waft the

Football myths Empty Football myths

Post by waft the Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:27 am

What are everyones most disliked football myths, things that alot of people agree to but just aren't true.

I don't like this myth that arsenal play attractive football, they just pass the ball in triangles goin nowhere for as long as possible.

In order to play beautiful football you need artists, only a handful are left in the game. Okay arsenal had bergkamp until this season but he didn't play much over the last couple of years, but now, while they have technically good players like rosicky, hleb, van persie they don't have an artist. Some of the most tedious matches I've had to endure have been involving arsenal. In the Juve-arsenal game (which incidentally, are two of the worst Juve performances I've seen) last season they had 10 men behind the ball for pretty much all of the tie. Any team that doesn't know how to get a result when playing arsenal, must be useless, or have a terrible manager. Arsenal Wenger buys loads of these big, powerful, fast clones, atheletes not footballers.

Another myth I hate, is the one that henry is one of the best players in the world. Effective yes (in home games at least), but best? Never. I concede this is probably just a matter of personal taste.

In my experience, and the majority of my mates are gunners, it is impossible to have a serious talk with an arsenal fan about football. To a man, they are rose tinted spectacle wearing idiots.
    Effenberg
    Effenberg

Number of posts : 3975
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Football myths Empty Re: Football myths

Post by Effenberg Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:09 am

You wouldn't by any chance really dislike Arsenal then?
    waft the

Post by waft the Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:46 am

I dislike Wenger, many arsenal players, and the myths surrounding the club. I also think the club has a disproportionate amount of idiots amongst its fanbase. Other than that I don't have a problem with the club.
    toon h
    toon h

Number of posts : 8715
    Supports : FC Barcelona

Post by toon h Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:48 am

there is a myth usually perpetuated by the younger members of the board, that Zidane was better than Platini. I have no doubt that the people stating that have not seen Platini play when he did.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:58 am

Can't agree more... its just that Zidane achieved more success than Platini with the national team, but Platini as a player was phenomenal, and better than Zizou.

toon h wrote:there is a myth usually perpetuated by the younger members of the board, that Zidane was better than Platini. I have no doubt that the people stating that have not seen Platini play when he did.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:01 am

I am sick of the myth that Italians are always defensive and "boring". People forget that interesting/boring are a matter of personal taste, and Italian teams are as attacking as most european counterparts. People keep associating "tactically astute" with "Cattenaccio" with "totally defensive" - when in reality, these 3 things are very different from each other, and don't always co-exist.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by christmasborocooper Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:34 pm

The myth Ashely Cole is poor at the back and better going forward annoys me.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:37 pm

ok

His crossing is horrendous.

Post by Guest Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:37 pm

toon h wrote:there is a myth usually perpetuated by the younger members of the board, that Zidane was better than Platini. I have no doubt that the people stating that have not seen Platini play when he did.

couldn't agree more, i rate zidane very highly but i think he is worship to much on this broad.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:38 pm

Messiah wrote:

couldn't agree more, i rate zidane very highly but i think he is worship to much on this broad.

You watched Platini in his prime, Messiah?

Post by Guest Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:40 pm

Parks Lives wrote:
    Messiah wrote:

did i say i watch platini in his prime?

example him being better that Del peiro while they were ay juve

Last edited by on Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    waft the

Post by waft the Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:41 pm

Parks Lives wrote:
    Messiah wrote:

Thats why I steer clear of this, I only know Platini from what I've seen replayed.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:43 pm

bluenine wrote:I am sick of the myth that Italians are always defensive and "boring". People forget that interesting/boring are a matter of personal taste, and Italian teams are as attacking as most european counterparts. People keep associating "tactically astute" with "Cattenaccio" with "totally defensive" - when in reality, these 3 things are very different from each other, and don't always co-exist.

i agree. people seem to think that if tactics are involved then its crap. i like games with tactics as well as i like games with high pace attacking.
    for example i did enjoy some of the livepool-chelsea games because it was chest type of games. italian teams play at a lower tempo sometimes and that makes it seems boring for some but it can also be interesting.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:00 pm

That Ronaldinhio is better than Kaka.
    waft the

Post by waft the Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:06 pm

Ranaldinho is better than Kaka'

Post by Guest Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:09 pm

waft the hapless youth wrote:Ranaldinho is better than Kaka'

You can't say certain things on here that be 1 on them.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:10 pm

That Scholes was crap in the 3 years he wasn't scoring for England.
    Mistletoe.

Number of posts : 758
    Supports : Benfica.........likes Millwall e U.A.Povoense
    Registration date : 2006-09-08

Post by Mistletoe. Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:14 pm

Parks Lives wrote:That Scholes was crap in the 3 years he wasn't scoring for England.

Isn't this a thread about myths?
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:23 pm

Messiah wrote:

all that sentence was missing was an "ARRRGH!!!" and you would have been in full on pirate mode.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:24 pm

borocooper wrote:
    Messiah wrote:

all that sentence was missing was an "ARRRGH!!!" and you would have been in full on pirate mode.

lol!
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:25 pm

borocooper wrote:The myth Ashely Cole is poor at the back and better going forward annoys me.
    ok It's the othe way round! Rolling Eyes
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:26 pm

Parks Lives wrote:That Scholes was crap in the 3 years he wasn't scoring for England.
    ok
    L r d

Post by L r d Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:26 pm

Scholes can do no wro-... Nevermind.

Luis Garcia is inconsistent.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:28 pm

*That Lampard, Nolan & Gerrard are great all-round Midfielders because they score tons of goals.

*The Italians are too defensive.

*The Portuguese are fairies - I'd rather be in the trenches with Deco than Lampard.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:29 pm

Obispo wrote:
    Luis Garcia is inconsistent.
    ok

Jermaine Jenas is no good at anything.

Zlatlan Ibrahimovich was better than Mido at Ajax - That Bugs me.
    doninha

Post by doninha Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:41 pm

bluenine wrote:I am sick of the myth that Italians are always defensive and "boring". People forget that interesting/boring are a matter of personal taste, and Italian teams are as attacking as most european counterparts. People keep associating "tactically astute" with "Cattenaccio" with "totally defensive" - when in reality, these 3 things are very different from each other, and don't always co-exist.

Besides the fact that from the big 3 leagues, usually the one that has most games with "roller hockey" scores is the Italian one.

4-3 3-3 5-4...
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:24 pm

Gary Neville is good.

Just because he is the best that England have got, doesn't make him good. It just means you have got very bad players at right back.
    L r d

Post by L r d Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:41 pm

waft the hapless youth wrote:What are everyones most disliked football myths, things that alot of people agree to but just aren't true.

I don't like this myth that arsenal play attractive football, they just pass the ball in triangles goin nowhere for as long as possible.

In order to play beautiful football you need artists, only a handful are left in the game. Okay arsenal had bergkamp until this season but he didn't play much over the last couple of years, but now, while they have technically good players like rosicky, hleb, van persie they don't have an artist. Some of the most tedious matches I've had to endure have been involving arsenal. In the Juve-arsenal game (which incidentally, are two of the worst Juve performances I've seen) last season they had 10 men behind the ball for pretty much all of the tie. Any team that doesn't know how to get a result when playing arsenal, must be useless, or have a terrible manager. Arsenal Wenger buys loads of these big, powerful, fast clones, atheletes not footballers.

Another myth I hate, is the one that henry is one of the best players in the world. Effective yes (in home games at least), but best? Never. I concede this is probably just a matter of personal taste.

In my experience, and the majority of my mates are gunners, it is impossible to have a serious talk with an arsenal fan about football. To a man, they are rose tinted spectacle wearing idiots.

ok Agree
    Arsenal play good football not exciting football.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:47 pm

110% wrote:Gary Neville is good.

Just because he is the best that England have got, doesn't make him good. It just means you have got very bad players at right back.
    Apart from G.Neville.

who's better, seriously?

Zambrotta, J.Zanetti, Miguel, possibly Cafu & Sagnol...that's about it really.
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Pröfessör Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:52 pm

waft the hapless youth wrote:What are everyones most disliked football myths, things that alot of people agree to but just aren't true.

Bitter juve fan as usual. Are u sure u aren't a WUM?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:51 am