Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+19
Super Progress
shazlx
Lard
The Pröfessör
Deano
Rez
The-Frank-Tavern
Batman
Isco Benny
gone
DS
forza_rossi
BoBo Vieri 32
blutgraetsche
Rasiak-9
Gigliati
bluenine
None
Tweesus
23 posters

How highly do you rate Serie A now?

Poll

How highly do you rate the modern Serie A?

[ 4 ]
    How highly do you rate Serie A now? Bar_left8%How highly do you rate Serie A now? Bar_right [8%] 
    [ 18 ]
    How highly do you rate Serie A now? Bar_left38%How highly do you rate Serie A now? Bar_right [38%] 
    [ 13 ]
    How highly do you rate Serie A now? Bar_left27%How highly do you rate Serie A now? Bar_right [27%] 
    [ 6 ]
    How highly do you rate Serie A now? Bar_left13%How highly do you rate Serie A now? Bar_right [13%] 
    [ 3 ]
    How highly do you rate Serie A now? Bar_left6%How highly do you rate Serie A now? Bar_right [6%] 
    [ 1 ]
    How highly do you rate Serie A now? Bar_left2%How highly do you rate Serie A now? Bar_right [2%] 
    [ 3 ]
    How highly do you rate Serie A now? Bar_left6%How highly do you rate Serie A now? Bar_right [6%] 

Total Votes: 48
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

How highly do you rate Serie A now? Empty How highly do you rate Serie A now?

Post by Tweesus Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:01 pm

Question
    None

Number of posts : 2548
    Registration date : 2007-02-22

How highly do you rate Serie A now? Empty Re: How highly do you rate Serie A now?

Post by None Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:05 pm

Pepsi?
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

How highly do you rate Serie A now? Empty Re: How highly do you rate Serie A now?

Post by bluenine Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:57 pm

Tweedy, trust you to start a thread for the Serie A bashers... very mature. What Otto is to the England team, you are to Serie A ok

IMO, this season Serie A is back to what is used to be 5-6 years ago, only cleaner. Must be so hard for you to digest. Razz
    Gigliati
    Gigliati

Number of posts : 151
    Supports : Fiorentina
    Favourite Player : Batistuta
    Registration date : 2007-03-09

Post by Gigliati Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:20 am

When I look at the voting here, I can see Bluenines point. This board has an anti Serie A bias like most english boards. Also the creator of this thread either dislikes Italian football or has no clue about polling methods. Because in a fair poll, you should put the commonly believed choice in the centre. As far as I know, the Big 3 are still called the Big 3. That would only change when one of the Big 3 slips down the uefa rankings to below the top 3. Last I heard, Serie A was among the top 3 leagues in uefa rankings and boasted of the CL champion. Maybe such a poll would have made more sense last season. This season with Juventus, Napoli and Genoa back up, the Italian league is stronger than in recent memory. Surely the posters here realise as much? The EPL is a slightly stronger this season while Serie A & La Liga are about the same.
    Rasiak-9
    Rasiak-9

Number of posts : 2605
    Supports : Southampton
    Registration date : 2007-01-17

Post by Rasiak-9 Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:32 am

Naturally the quality and level of interest in Serie A took a hell of a battering after Calciopoli, but before then I believed it was on a par with La Liga and the EPL and it will return to that level of quality after this season, especially with the fact that 5/6 teams really could mount a title challenge, so i voted for the 3rd option.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:39 am

This MB used to be much more level-headed last year, with many posters from different leagues... now it basically represents other leagues from the eyes of EPL fans! I am afraid posters like Tweedy are only growing in influence here, and so many Italian/Portuguese/other posters have stopped coming here or reduced their frequency... its a sad state of affairs... and unless we all make an effort to invite more non-EPL posters here for a more balanced debate, this MB will lose its charm and become yet another EPL MB.

Gigliati wrote:When I look at the voting here, I can see Bluenines point. This board has an anti Serie A bias like most english boards. Also the creator of this thread either dislikes Italian football or has no clue about polling methods. Because in a fair poll, you should put the commonly believed choice in the centre. As far as I know, the Big 3 are still called the Big 3. That would only change when one of the Big 3 slips down the uefa rankings to below the top 3. Last I heard, Serie A was among the top 3 leagues in uefa rankings and boasted of the CL champion. Maybe such a poll would have made more sense last season. This season with Juventus, Napoli and Genoa back up, the Italian league is stronger than in recent memory. Surely the posters here realise as much? The EPL is a slightly stronger this season while Serie A & La Liga are about the same.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:44 am

Relax guys, Tweeds has a lot of agendas, not just his (most obvious) anti Serie A agenda. Basically, if it's not EPL, it's Cr@p according to Tweedleschniedel. Razz

Don't take this to heart, I think even Tweedle is not really serious. I hope.
    None

Number of posts : 2548
    Registration date : 2007-02-22

Post by None Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:46 am

Blueo, I'm surprised you even respond to Tweeds comments about Italian football, he's a dreadful WUM, the origin of which is most likely the fact that the two greatest icons of the team he follows were desperate failures in Serie A.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:52 am

Just wondering what makes a league stronger than other? what are we judging it on? how good the players are?

I mean alot of people seem to think Serie A was at its strongest 5-7 years ago when ithad the big stars like Zidane, Ronaldo, Shevchenko, Batistuta etc. but its performances in Europe were terrible.
    forza_rossi
    forza_rossi

Number of posts : 2563
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by forza_rossi Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:53 am

I rate it quite high actually. Milan are my second team afterall.
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:01 am

I still think this season it is Inters to lose , may change next season or so but at this point Inter is way ahead of Milan ,Roma and Juve.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:42 am

This isn't a thread about me guys, this threads about the Serie A!

Granted, I wrote this thread when I was very drunk last night, but that still shouldn't deter from what could well be an interesting debate.... Wink

Personally for me, this season is make or break to decide whether the Serie A is back at the level of La liga and the EPL. To be honest, the keeping in Serie A can't be anywhere near as bad as it has been in the first two rounds of the EPL! I think its on the rise, but will the financial power of the EPL affect Serie A? Sven has started to invest in medium quality Serie A players and has made them a success in only their first three games - if they continue this, then the EPL market may become more and more interested in the medium quality Serie A players - something the English market has never really been interested in before
    gone
    gone

Number of posts : 3455
    Supports : Steaua
    Favourite Player : Radoi, Ogararu, Nicolita, Iniesta, Edin Dzeko
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by gone Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:54 am

On a par with the EPL and La liga.

It's hard to say how is the best league in the world. All 3 are very strong. The problem should be: what should the rest of Europe do to catch up with them?
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:24 am

I don't think there's much they can do. I think Germany is best positioned to make an effort of it though -they have the crowds and the stadia and have a few big name teams - they just aren't financially clued up
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:28 am

Gigliati wrote:
    Also the creator of this thread either dislikes Italian football or has no clue about polling methods. Because in a fair poll, you should put the commonly believed choice in the centre.

scratch

There's a logical progression in my poll options....

Maybe such a poll would have made more sense last season.

Not really. Last season, Serie A wasn't on the same level as the other two - my point was that with the clubs promoted and the stregthening of the existing teams, is Serie A now back up to that level...
    Gigliati
    Gigliati

Post by Gigliati Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:52 am

You contradict yourself. If you think Serie A is back to the level of other Big 3, then that should be your central option in the poll. For example, then your poll should read -

1. Far better than EPL/La Liga
    2. Slightly better than EPL/La Liga
    3. At the same level as EPL/La Liga
    4. Slightly below EPL/La Liga
    5. Far below EP /La Liga

That is an unbiased poll, which is not inlfuencing the vote.

Tweedle wrote:
    Gigliati wrote:
    Also the creator of this thread either dislikes Italian football or has no clue about polling methods. Because in a fair poll, you should put the commonly believed choice in the centre.

scratch

There's a logical progression in my poll options....

Maybe such a poll would have made more sense last season.

Not really. Last season, Serie A wasn't on the same level as the other two - my point was that with the clubs promoted and the stregthening of the existing teams, is Serie A now back up to that level...
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:56 am

As I said, I was drunk Wink

Polls mean nothing though, they merely act as a talking point and something to attract people into a discussion - its very rare that you revisit the outcomes of a poll on here or draw any conclusions from responses.

The real issue is whether or not people think that Serie A has made big strides this summer.

To be honest, I think it should be a good season and I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to be in Italy in October, in Florence. I might try and arrange a visit to Livorno to watch a game whilst I'm there. Is there any English language site on which I can book tickets?
    Gigliati
    Gigliati

Post by Gigliati Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:59 am

I do not think its anywhere near as certain. Roma and Milan can challenge this season, and can win the scudetto. There is no chance that Inter will amass as many points as last season.

Everyday is not a sunday. rendeer

Dark Savante wrote:I still think this season it is Inters to lose , may change next season or so but at this point Inter is way ahead of Milan ,Roma and Juve.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:17 pm

bluenine wrote:This MB used to be much more level-headed last year, with many posters from different leagues... now it basically represents other leagues from the eyes of EPL fans! I am afraid posters like Tweedy are only growing in influence here, and so many Italian/Portuguese/other posters have stopped coming here or reduced their frequency... its a sad state of affairs... and unless we all make an effort to invite more non-EPL posters here for a more balanced debate, this MB will lose its charm and become yet another EPL MB.

Gigliati wrote:When I look at the voting here, I can see Bluenines point. This board has an anti Serie A bias like most english boards. Also the creator of this thread either dislikes Italian football or has no clue about polling methods. Because in a fair poll, you should put the commonly believed choice in the centre. As far as I know, the Big 3 are still called the Big 3. That would only change when one of the Big 3 slips down the uefa rankings to below the top 3. Last I heard, Serie A was among the top 3 leagues in uefa rankings and boasted of the CL champion. Maybe such a poll would have made more sense last season. This season with Juventus, Napoli and Genoa back up, the Italian league is stronger than in recent memory. Surely the posters here realise as much? The EPL is a slightly stronger this season while Serie A & La Liga are about the same.

Untrue. For as many followers of EPL, there are just as many, or indeed just as VOCAL, posters on here who are anti-EPL and anti-England in general. I think you are being too defensive. Tweedle isnt half as blatant with his windups then say Otto is for example.

On the subject, lets not forget the Champions of Europe are from Serie A, so it is still a league on a par with the rest, just doesnt have the depth in quality the other leagues does. Then again, an increase in Italian players playing in Serie A since the 90's makes it a very healthy National league from an Italian perspective, something that is clearly becoming a problem in Spain and England.

Put it this way, I'd be happier if I were Italian with Serie A then an Englishman/Spaniard with La Liga and EPL
    Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071

Post by Batman Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:42 pm

When i started watching Serie A on Channel 4 it was the best league in Europe, now i would say it is the 3rd best league in Europe.

The football is still very good but it has lost some of its glamour.
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Number of posts : 8505
    Supports : Atlético de Madrid

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:02 pm

better than epl but worse tahn spain imho hence no option ain't voted
    Rez

Number of posts : 3757
    Registration date : 2006-10-06

Post by Rez Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:11 pm

@Tweed

What a great thread, maybe you should do a Totti one tomorrow.

@B9

Calm down mate he was obviously on the wind up, however it was not as bad as the anti EPL attacks by Otto and recently tonigol.
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:16 pm

3rd best league...after The Premiership and La Liga.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:17 pm

The White Cliffs Of Dover wrote:
    bluenine wrote:This MB used to be much more level-headed last year, with many posters from different leagues... now it basically represents other leagues from the eyes of EPL fans! I am afraid posters like Tweedy are only growing in influence here, and so many Italian/Portuguese/other posters have stopped coming here or reduced their frequency... its a sad state of affairs... and unless we all make an effort to invite more non-EPL posters here for a more balanced debate, this MB will lose its charm and become yet another EPL MB.

Untrue. For as many followers of EPL, there are just as many, or indeed just as VOCAL, posters on here who are anti-EPL and anti-England in general. I think you are being too defensive. Tweedle isnt half as blatant with his windups then say Otto is for example.

On the subject, lets not forget the Champions of Europe are from Serie A, so it is still a league on a par with the rest, just doesnt have the depth in quality the other leagues does. Then again, an increase in Italian players playing in Serie A since the 90's makes it a very healthy National league from an Italian perspective, something that is clearly becoming a problem in Spain and England.

Put it this way, I'd be happier if I were Italian with Serie A then an Englishman/Spaniard with La Liga and EPL

depth?

for a tart you have the main title challengers - Inter, Milan and Roma, then you have the CL chasing teams - Lazio, Juve and Fiorentina and then you've got alot of other good teams like Samp, Udinese and Palermo
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Pröfessör Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:55 pm

Deano Ashton wrote:3rd best league...after The Premiership and La Liga.

ok
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:27 pm

I think there is very little difference, and depends a lot on what criteria you are judging on, like Bobo suggested. Depth wise, Serie A is no less than any other league in the world.

Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:32 pm

bluenine wrote:I think there is very little difference, and depends a lot on what criteria you are judging on, like Bobo suggested. Depth wise, Serie A is no less than any other league in the world.

Depends...currently and recently the domestic leagues in England and Spain have been better. Serie A has a lot of ingredients this season to be as good as any of the others though.

I watched some games such as Chievo vs Livorno last season...and they were $h!t. Mid-table games such as Fulham vs Charlton were still decent matces.

It's just what I think currently Bluey...and I agree depth wise they are all similar (Your massive clubs...your big clubs...your average clubs and your small clubs).

Ale
    Lard
    Lard

Number of posts : 3822
    Registration date : 2007-03-31

Post by Lard Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:34 pm

<Ale> Bundesliga and ligue 1 are not close. But la liga and epl are definitly ahead, will take a few years before that can change.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:38 pm

Deano Ashton wrote:
    bluenine wrote:I think there is very little difference, and depends a lot on what criteria you are judging on, like Bobo suggested. Depth wise, Serie A is no less than any other league in the world.

Depends...currently and recently the domestic leagues in England and Spain have been better. Serie A has a lot of ingredients this season to be as good as any of the others though.

I watched some games such as Chievo vs Livorno last season...and they were $h!t. Mid-table games such as Fulham vs Charlton were still decent matces.

It's just what I think currently Bluey...and I agree depth wise they are all similar (Your massive clubs...your big clubs...your average clubs and your small clubs).

Ale

In terms of entertainment, Serie A has improved over the last few years, alot of the teams play very attractive, attacking football.

Theres more continuity in the clubs (especially the big ones) and smarter buys (i.e. not buying a whole new team every season like happened 5-6 years ago)
    shazlx
    shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
    Supports : Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
    Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:40 pm

L.r.d wrote:

<Ale> Bundesliga and ligue 1 are not close. But la liga and epl are definitly ahead, will take a few years before that can change.
    Considering the Italian clubs don't take the UEFA cup seriously they may loose enough points for the Bundesliga to catch up and maybe even take the 4 CL spots.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:42 pm