Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Isco Benny
Parks lives
110%
The Easter Bunny
christmasborocooper
Deluded F*ck™
Tweesus
Keano Is God
Fey
Owen Thomas
youonlycametooseeeboue
15 posters

New England Captain

Poll

Who should be the new england captain

[ 11 ]
    New England Captain - Page 2 Bar_left39%New England Captain - Page 2 Bar_right [39%] 
    [ 10 ]
    New England Captain - Page 2 Bar_left36%New England Captain - Page 2 Bar_right [36%] 
    [ 7 ]
    New England Captain - Page 2 Bar_left25%New England Captain - Page 2 Bar_right [25%] 
    [ 0 ]
    New England Captain - Page 2 Bar_left0%New England Captain - Page 2 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    New England Captain - Page 2 Bar_left0%New England Captain - Page 2 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 28
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

New England Captain - Page 2 Empty Re: New England Captain

Post by Tweesus Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:39 pm

Roger_Hunt wrote:Sorry, I missed the part where the opposing captains play chess if it's drawn at full-time.

Honestly, I'm fed up now. If you don't like Gerrard for England, we'll just keep him for Liverpool. At least he won't get injured so much Wink

I'm not talking about him as a footballer, i'm talking about him as a elader and motivator.

Terry>>>Gerrard in both these aspects
    Kevin

Post by Kevin Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:39 pm

Gerrard, took me ages to decide who i want but i eventually decided on him.
    Mainly because whilst Gerrard has not been great for england by any stretch of the imagination, there is an abvious reason for that and it can be easily corrected. Also, Terry only has good games for England when we areunder pressure and playing with our backs to the wall. He hasnt impressed in any games in which the players have had space for England.
    Also, despite Terry's leadership qualities being better than Gerrards, Gerrard has a habit of scoring important goals in matches, something which could be useful...
    110%

Number of posts : 8978
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by 110% Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:44 pm

Tweedledum wrote:@ 110%

So you'd have no brains Gerrard as captain?

I'd rather stick with Beckham!

I've never agreed with the no-brains opininons anyway. And that is what it is: an opinion. As I pointed out more than once in those discussions (without any response I would add) he has the ability to play different positions very well, which means reading the game from different areas of the pitch so obviously he does have a very good footballing brain. Everyone points out running around too much, leaving gaps in the midfield, but discount that liverpool had a rubbish attack (and still not fixed) so if he doesn't join in they would have scored even less. EVERY time a midfielder joins in an attack he takes a risk that his team will be hit on the break, yet liverpools defensive record is not too bad, so he can't have left them exposed that often. Additionally Xabi Alonso is the defensive midfielder, but he is limited in defensive ability, that's why he needs sissoko to do so much work for him. If you consider Keane and Scholes, Keane used to be more defensive while scholes passed it around and joined in the attacks. At liverpool Alonso is not physically able to get involved in the attacking, so Gerrard when playing with Alonso in the middle has to cover him in defense AND join the attacks so of course it looks like "he is running aournd like a nutter". His only problem i see is the hollywood balls which seem to be less and less now, and the occasional diving which everyone seems to do now.

So I'd say that Gerrard has plenty of brains football-wise much more than terry (who is great at heading and hoofing the ball), and outside of football, seems to have more intelligence than terry who fights with people in nightclubs, or gary "I hate scousers" neville who doesn't seem to know that rooney is a scouser.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:46 pm

I was talking about his footballing brain.

I was talking about his 'intelligence'

He never really talks on the pitch in the way that Terry does and in post mtach interviews he seems to struggle unlike Terry who seems to always find the right words and is very composed. Its very much the same on the pitch.

Terry is an organiser and a talker, Gerrard lets his football do the talking - IMO we need a Terry rather than a Gerrard
    110%

Post by 110% Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:56 pm

Tweedledum wrote:I was talking about his footballing brain.

I was talking about his 'intelligence'

He never really talks on the pitch in the way that Terry does and in post mtach interviews he seems to struggle unlike Terry who seems to always find the right words and is very composed. Its very much the same on the pitch.

Terry is an organiser and a talker, Gerrard lets his football do the talking - IMO we need a Terry rather than a Gerrard

I seem to remember Gerrard having a go at Beckham, his captain, during the game against Portugal after covering for him and tackling cronaldo, so he is a talker when it is necessary, Terry has always come across as a bit of a moaner rather than a talker, bit like Figo. Also wasn't Gerrard involved in some kind of bust up with Beckham in training?

I have already explained the football brian above. Terry can organise the defense without being captain. Terry is great for heading or kicking the ball out of the danger zone, apart from that he is very limited in both his footballing ability and his footballing brain. Defenders like Marquez (and even rio) can step into the midfield and play a good through ball. Terry does push forward occasionally but usually it involves running forward with the ball, laying it off then sprinting into the box.

They are both pretty average in post-match interviews. If that is a reason for picking the england captain how did beckham ever get it? I cannot remember a footballer who was good at that anyway.
    110%

Post by 110% Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:58 pm

The Real White Pele wrote:But Terry rolls his socks up over his knees like Thierry Henry. That just shows the mans character. No slouch.

An 80's central defender would never wear his socks that high for fear of looking like a girl in suspenders.

And if you dont think the way a player wears his socks is important, then realise this- Ramsay told his players in the 1966 WC they would win going into extra time. The reason? Because his players had their socks rolled up and the Germans didnt, literally. And he was right...

Thus, to summarise, the sock issue is the deal breaker for me.

JT

Is this where the phrase "Roll your socks up" comes from? Smile
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:58 pm

Southgate is good in interviews.
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115

Post by Roger Hunt Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:02 pm

'So, tell us Gareth, how did it feel when you missed the penalty'...

I don't really want to hear someone who's good at excuses. I'd rather hear someone who's good at acceptance speeches. Wink
    Hardrada

Number of posts : 2106
    Supports : Chelsea FC
    Favourite Player : GFZ

Post by Hardrada Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:03 pm

Just been announced - JT is captain
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:03 pm

Roger_Hunt wrote: I'd rather hear someone who's good at acceptance speeches.

Gary Neville is your man then.

Listen to him after we won the Milk cup.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:05 pm

Hardrada wrote:Just been announced - JT is captain

Fair enough. Neutral

Now watch the Liverpool mafia cause a riot. Rolling Eyes
    Hardrada

Number of posts : 2106
    Supports : Chelsea FC
    Favourite Player : GFZ

Post by Hardrada Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:05 pm

Steven Gerrard named vice-captain. (miles better than Owen Lol)
    L r d

Post by L r d Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:05 pm

And McLaren was doing so well...
    Keano Is God
    Keano Is God

Number of posts : 439
    Supports : Manchester United and Celtic
    Favourite Player : Student
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Keano Is God Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:06 pm

@ 110%

with terry as captain lampard can still be dropped, same as with neville/beckham because it is mclaren's (manager) not the captains choice. The captain is supposed to be the coaches messenger (witness the terry/gallas incident). If mclaren cant make a decision thats in the teams best interrest, as dropping lampard and beckham would be,for fear that it may offend the captain then he shouldnt be manager.
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Post by Roger Hunt Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:07 pm

parks lives wrote:
    Now watch the Liverpool mafia cause a riot. Rolling Eyes

Ahh, can't be arsed.

I'd rather have Steve playing well for us than England anyway. Cool
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:08 pm

Obispo wrote:And McLaren was doing so well...
    Razz looks like king and rio won't be playing together anytime soon...

terry is the logical choice

Teamspirit is currently rioting outside fa headquarters as we speak Very Happy
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:10 pm

Terry wont play every game Im sure. Injuries etc. Gerrard as back up is great. Its a good set up.

Beats the hell out of Owen (???) and Beckham so cheer up
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt

Post by Roger Hunt Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:10 pm

Terry injured next week Wink

Instant karma.
    110%

Post by 110% Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:11 pm

Keano Is God wrote:@ 110%

with terry as captain lampard can still be dropped, same as with neville/beckham because it is mclaren's (manager) not the captains choice. The captain is supposed to be the coaches messenger (witness the terry/gallas incident). If mclaren cant make a decision thats in the teams best interrest, as dropping lampard and beckham would be,for fear that it may offend the captain then he shouldnt be manager.

I agree in principle that should happen, but I assume that the captain is normally involved the team selection and tactics as he is supposed to carry that message onto the pitch, so although it should still be possible for lampard to be dropped, I think that terry would argue his inclusion with McClaren. It is not to say that even though Gerrard might have been captain, lampard would have been dropped just more of a possibility.

Anyway looks like it has been decided, so we'll see. I hope for england to do well, but I only see quarter-finals in the near future, unless underperforming players are dropped.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:13 pm

I doubt very much Terry will have influence over who McClaren picks in the team.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:13 pm

110% wrote:

I agree in principle that should happen, but I assume that the captain is normally involved the team selection and tactics as he is supposed to carry that message onto the pitch, so although it should still be possible for lampard to be dropped, I think that terry would argue his inclusion with McClaren. It is not to say that even though Gerrard might have been captain, lampard would have been dropped just more of a possibility.

Anyway looks like it has been decided, so we'll see. I hope for england to do well, but I only see quarter-finals in the near future, unless underperforming players are dropped.

Well if thats the case, we at least don't have to look forward to Carragher playing for England again. Rolling Eyes
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:17 pm

borocooper wrote:I doubt very much Terry will have influence over who McClaren picks in the team.

Agreed. Mclaren wont pander to his players like eriksson did, or at least lets hope he doesnt..
    110%

Post by 110% Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:18 pm

parks lives wrote:
    110% wrote:

Well if thats the case, we at least don't have to look forward to Carragher playing for England again. Rolling Eyes

You're right, problem is that Neville was not much better than him. Hopefully england can come up with a couple of decent young right-backs in the next 2 years, as I only see Neville getting slower with age.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:18 pm

McMahon = Future England right back
    110%

Post by 110% Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:21 pm

The Real White Pele wrote:
    borocooper wrote:I doubt very much Terry will have influence over who McClaren picks in the team.

Agreed. Mclaren wont pander to his players like eriksson did, or at least lets hope he doesnt..

Problem is that every manager has his favourites, that is why if they are not successful it is good to change. Who knows, maybe macclaren has his favourites already, e.g. the left winger from boro. As someone said before he is not a trouble-maker so does he have the balls to drop beckham?

That is why scolari would have been good. He would drop anyone regardless, e.g. figo.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:23 pm

Is Glen Johnson on loan somewhere?

I dont think he's a complete lost cause, because he's clearly a gifted footballer, he simply didnt know how to defend- and its a better way round then being a sh!t footballer and knowing how to defend at that age, because you can work on tactics and positioning, but natural ability you either have or you dont.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:24 pm

The Real White Pele wrote:Is Glen Johnson on loan somewhere?

I dont think he's a complete lost cause, because he's clearly a gifted footballer, he simply didnt know how to defend- and its a better way round then being a sh!t footballer and knowing how to defend at that age, because you can work on tactics and positioning, but natural ability you either have or you dont.

Pompy
    Kevin

Post by Kevin Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:24 pm

Hes on loan at Pompey.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:24 pm

The Real White Pele wrote:Is Glen Johnson on loan somewhere?

Pompey.

Neville was still the second fittest player out of the England camp.

He may not play at the next World cup but he will still be starter in Euro 2008.
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Number of posts : 8505
    Supports : Atlético de Madrid

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:25 pm

110% wrote:

this isn´t cricket you know, the capt wont have any influence in team selection or tactics imho

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 9:18 am