Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+46
Romford Pele
Ricardo Jol
Onur 1905
Machiavel
Chocolate Thunder
Historicus
Tom
Luso
Z&H
gone
robert
Sgoater1
TITO
Deluded F*ck™
debaser
S4P
Enigma
Kroos
72-76-80-96-08
Juligen
Protheus
The Pröfessör
Dwarf
Rasiak-9
COTR
The Easter Bunny
Black Magic
Fey
Sheffield gunner
L.r.d
blutgraetsche
EM Seleção e Selecção
Luis
Kimbo
Axeslammer
Tuga
Calidad
fcb
DeLux
Bashmachkin
bluenine
SuperMario
lampiao007
DS
Parks lives
DD
50 posters

Day 5 - Round 2: Group A: Czech-Portugal; Swiss-Turkey

DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Day 5 - Round 2: Group A: Czech-Portugal; Swiss-Turkey Empty Day 5 - Round 2: Group A: Czech-Portugal; Swiss-Turkey

Post by DD Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:09 am

Keep it in here Smile
    DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC

Day 5 - Round 2: Group A: Czech-Portugal; Swiss-Turkey Empty Re: Day 5 - Round 2: Group A: Czech-Portugal; Swiss-Turkey

Post by DD Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:11 am

Remember this?
    Qualifying for WC006
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SPIHtQ6BQk

These two have a little history...
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Day 5 - Round 2: Group A: Czech-Portugal; Swiss-Turkey Empty Re: Day 5 - Round 2: Group A: Czech-Portugal; Swiss-Turkey

Post by Parks lives Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:14 am

Getting back home for that first one, should be a cracker. Can see it being 2-1 to Portugal.
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:16 am

Any changes to Portugal expected ?
    lampiao007
    lampiao007

Number of posts : 1164
    Supports : SL Benfica
    Favourite Player : Pablo Aimar

Post by lampiao007 Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:52 am

None apparently

If it isn't broken, no need to fix it.

Possible on the substitutions. I can see Quaresma and Nani playing more time if the result goes Portugal's way
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
    Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
    Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:57 am

I can see the Czechs & Portugal not minding a draw. Portugal would still be odds on to win their group with their last match v Austria & the Czechs would only need a draw v the Turks to qualify and set them up for a match v the Germans, whose number they already have.
    lampiao007
    lampiao007

Number of posts : 1164
    Supports : SL Benfica
    Favourite Player : Pablo Aimar

Post by lampiao007 Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:04 am

A win would mean for both teams automatic qualification, and the chance to rest some players on the last group game
    Although they may take it easy, and think of a draw like the lesser of evils
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:18 am

Don Leo wrote:I can see the Czechs & Portugal not minding a draw. Portugal would still be odds on to win their group with their last match v Austria & the Czechs would only need a draw v the Turks to qualify and set them up for a match v the Germans, whose number they already have.
    Its Switzerland, and they are no mugs. They will be tougher to beat that Turkey, they have a better defence.
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Post by SuperMario Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:35 am

bluenine wrote:
    Don Leo wrote:I can see the Czechs & Portugal not minding a draw. Portugal would still be odds on to win their group with their last match v Austria & the Czechs would only need a draw v the Turks to qualify and set them up for a match v the Germans, whose number they already have.
    Its Switzerland, and they are no mugs. They will be tougher to beat that Turkey, they have a better defence.
    My mistake, but still think they will not mind a draw.
    Bashmachkin
    Bashmachkin

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2007-02-09

Post by Bashmachkin Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:35 am

The Czechs didn't impress me much in their first game against Switzerland. They have superb defenders, I really like Rozehnal and Ujfalusi at the back, but they have very little in midfield or up front. I wasn't impressed with Sionko - he did a lot of running off Koller, but he didn't have much end product, it was a bit aimless, and I didn't think he and Koller linked well - Koller would always look to pass the ball as far back as possible, looking to build from the back, but it often killed moves and prevented any quick breaks. They were a bit fortunate to get their win. Baros would probably be a better and more attacking option, but if they didn't play like that against the Swiss, they probably won't play like that against the Portugais.

Barnetta looked decent for the Swiss, but I reckon both teams will lose today. I think Portugal will beat the Czechs fairly comfortably, though as always with them an early goal would be a huge help; and I think Turkey will manage to break the Swiss down - though Emre, who I thought passed the ball superbly in their first game and who is now injured (which also brings into question his move to Fenerbahce - though I imagine it will still go through), will be a big loss. I see Turkey ultimately going through along with Portugal from this group. Turkey are one of those teams who play nice football, but struggle with goals.
    DeLux
    DeLux

Number of posts : 4399
    Supports : Celta Vigo
    Favourite Player : Mostovoi, Xavi, David Silva, Valerón, Raúl
    Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by DeLux Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:37 am

In that Czech side Plasil is the only one who looks like he can create something.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:40 am

Olé wrote:In that Czech side Plasil is the only one who looks like he can create something.
    This is the most dull Czech midfield I have seen in a long long time. Maybe they should have convinced Nedved to comeback from his retirement, specially after Rocisky got injured.
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Post by SuperMario Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:52 am

True, heard from a Czech is that Bruckner is pretty conservative, also when it comes to introducing new (creative) talent.

My main problem with the Czech performance the first match is that their line-up and tactics were a contradiction in terms.

If you start Koller, who is mainly useful in or around the box, you need to make sure you play on the opposition's half: your defenders need to defend high up the pitch. If you soak up pressure and play for counterattacks, play Baros, Vlcek, or somebody else capable of swift counterattacking.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:59 am

I also have a feeling Turkey can beat Switzerland, who will be under huge pressure to deliver as the home team after losing the first game.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:39 pm

Turkey are faves IMO
    Tuga
    Tuga

Number of posts : 161
    Supports : Benfica & Portugal

Post by Tuga Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:45 pm

I've already posted this on the group A thread so I'll be short and sweet.

Yes Portugal are the better side but we struggle against defensive sides and this Czech Republic seems to be very defensive.

My prediction is a draw.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:39 pm

Calidad wrote:Turkey are faves IMO

The Swiss for me, they'll have home advantage which will also mean the UEFA have instructed the ref to help them Ale
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:06 pm

Emre is crocked, surprise surprise, and Tuncay is being replaced by Arda Turan. Apparently.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:09 pm

I think the Portugal game will be a very good affair. I don't think the Czech's formation worked well against Switzerland as Koller was a bit isolated, Baros has always been much better for his national team than for any of the clubs he's played at (though I still think we shouldn't have sold him.) so I'd start with him alongside the big ban for the extra danger factor that they now lack with no Nedved.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:37 pm

Kimbo wrote:Emre is crocked, surprise surprise, and Tuncay is being replaced by Arda Turan. Apparently.

thats typical. i had him in my team last round and doesn't play. take him out this round and he starts Doh
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

Post by SuperMario Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:49 pm

Bruckner reading Euroboard: Czech Official line-up: Koller dropped for Baros!

--------------------Cech
    Grygera Ujfalusi (C) Rozenhal Jankulovski
    ------------------Galasek
    ------Matejovski-----------Polak
    Sionko-----------------------------------Plasil
    -------------------Baros

Portugal's starting line-up is the same as the first matchday
    EM Seleção e Selecção
    EM Seleção e Selecção

Number of posts : 2495
    Supports : Portugal Brasil Africa
    Favourite Player : Ronaldo Zidane Dinho Figo CR Robinho Neymar Hazard
    Registration date : 2007-11-22

Post by EM Seleção e Selecção Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:18 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    Calidad wrote:Turkey are faves IMO

The Swiss for me, they'll have home advantage which will also mean the UEFA have instructed the ref to help them Ale
    ok ok ok ok
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:44 pm

Baros as the lone striker?
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:55 pm

bluenine wrote:
    This is the most dull Czech midfield I have seen in a long long time. Maybe they should have convinced Nedved to comeback from his retirement, specially after Rocisky got injured.

They tried, but he didn't want to.
    L.r.d
    L.r.d

Number of posts : 5614
    Registration date : 2007-12-21

Post by L.r.d Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:01 pm

PORTUGAL PORTUGAL PORTUGAL
    L.r.d
    L.r.d

Number of posts : 5614
    Registration date : 2007-12-21

Post by L.r.d Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:04 pm

Hmmmm Deco should have sent Ronaldo in first time there.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:04 pm

Sionko already looked promising in the first match against the Swiss, an interesting little player. He should have finished better though.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:07 pm

Ronaldo in superman mode again.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:07 pm

What a pass by Deco to Moutinho Shocked
    Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:07 pm

Deco scrambles a goal for Portugal!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:48 am