Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+25
Pierre Littbarski
Lusitan
Chocolate Thunder
Protheus
L r dd
Calidad
SuperMario
EM Seleção e Selecção
Ricardo Jol
bluenine
stinger
Di Caniooooo!
Khadrim
Barrilete
Jaime
Formerly known as sheva7
Juligen
Super Progress
mongrel hawk
fcb
Hlebagone
debaser
blutgraetsche
Axeslammer
Deluded F*ck™
29 posters

WC2010 Group G - Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast, North Korea

Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

WC2010 Group G - Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast, North Korea Empty WC2010 Group G - Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast, North Korea

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:41 pm

Hlebagone wrote:Me too. At the same time though, there are limits. A double pivot of Felipe Melo and Gilberto Silva is taking things too far. A player who could pass from deep at a high tempo could only help them, at not too great a loss from their defensive stability.

Also, if Kaka for example gets injured, there's no real replacement.

Still, if my pattern is to be believed, brazil win win:

1994: efficient - win
    1998: Sexy - lose
    2002: Efficient - win
    2006: Sexy (tried to be) - lose
    2010: Efficient - win.

Brazil have played the double pivot ever since I've been watching WC's

1994 - Mauro Silva and Dunga

1998 - Dunga and Cesar Sampaio

2002 -Gilberto Silva and Kleberson (replaced Emerson)

2006 - Gilberto Silva and Emerson

2010 - Gilberto Silva and Felipe Melo.

"Joga Bonito" is forced onto Brazil all the time and then get all precious if they don't live up to it. Dunga's rightly doing things his way and seeing as he's won the only two competitions he's coached in, and his qualifying group comfortably, I'd say he knows what he's doing. Brazil are here to win, not entertain.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

WC2010 Group G - Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast, North Korea Empty Re: WC2010 Group G - Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast, North Korea

Post by Axeslammer Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:48 pm

According to Dutch pundits Joga Bonito is a fairy tale of Ottoesque proportions : they claim Brazil have been one of the most defensive (big) international teams for at least 20 years now...

...I have to agree ok

Brazil 1982 is the ultimate team for those who love the game, the Brazilian teams after 1982 are on par with Italy and Norway.....bar a few individual geniuses Ale

Last edited by Axeslammer on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

WC2010 Group G - Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast, North Korea Empty Re: WC2010 Group G - Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast, North Korea

Post by blutgraetsche Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:48 pm

Big 4 Billy Bollocks™️ wrote:Brazil are here to win, not entertain.

They always are and always have been.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:50 pm

but but but the samba. I thought they came to give us samba Sad
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
    Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:52 pm

Big 4 Billy Bollocks™️ wrote:
    Hlebagone wrote:Me too. At the same time though, there are limits. A double pivot of Felipe Melo and Gilberto Silva is taking things too far. A player who could pass from deep at a high tempo could only help them, at not too great a loss from their defensive stability.

"Joga Bonito" is forced onto Brazil all the time and then get all precious if they don't live up to it. Dunga's rightly doing things his way and seeing as he's won the only two competitions he's coached in, and his qualifying group comfortably, I'd say he knows what he's doing. Brazil are here to win, not entertain.

Its not the double pivot i have a problem with. Its pretty muhch a necessity when trying to accomodate Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Kaka etc and full backs that play so far up the pitch. Rather, both the players there are a bit limited in passing. I imagine this double pivot will be enough to win the world cup, but, its just a bit of a shame.
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
    Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:54 pm

kas wrote:

To be fair to Dunga, these are two positions where has has indeed tried a few players, looking for what you suggest. But I'm struggling to think of good candidates for these positions.

For the Kaka replacement, Ronaldinho doesn't work hard enough and Anderson didn't impress in the chances he got. Plus he can't score goals. For the deep passer, neither Lucas nor Hernanes have lived up to the hype. If only Senna didn't change nationality Wink

Diego was my original thought for the Kaka position, even if he had a poor season.

Even if there is a lack of players for Silva's role, i struggle to believe he's the best option.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:55 pm

debaser wrote:but but but the samba. I thought they came to give us samba Sad

They gave us Samba because Samba made their moves on the pitch more fluid and less predictable. It may have looked good, but it always had a purpose. Brazil have always, always been about winning. If they were less pragmatic and more adventurous, it was because they had the players for that kind of football and tried to get the best of them. Brazil have always been very professional.

Nowadays, they usually start with the 'Samba' thing when they are leading 3-0 anyway.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:04 pm

Melo and Silva have been v.good so far, though remains to be seen against stronger opposition.

What's the Elano injury news, and who will replace him?
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:12 pm

debaser wrote:Melo and Silva have been v.good so far, though remains to be seen against stronger opposition.

What's the Elano injury news, and who will replace him?

I don't know the injury situation, but he may be rested anyway as he's on a yellow. In almost every Brazil game I've watched recently, Dunga subs Elano for Dani Alves. But I'm not sure if he'll start. My guess is it'll be Ramires coming in.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
    Supports : Corinthians

Post by mongrel hawk Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:53 pm

Big 4 Billy Bollocks™️ wrote:

that's because Brazil attacks with full-backs. you can't have attacking full-backs without 2 very defensive midfielders to cover them. full-backs in Brazil are not exactly defenders, they are almost attacking midfielders. and that's why some of them have problems in euro teams (cicinho, marcelo), in which there are no proper cover for them.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Dunga thinks this samba, futebol arte, joga bonito thing is a european trap to make sure brazil won't win.

Yeh, he's too paranoid and a bit crazy, but, indeed, Brazil are not in the WC to provide exotic entertainment for gringos. Brazil are there to win.

oh, and elano is ok to play against portugal.

@axe

comparing brazil with norway and italy is going a bit too far, but I agree we haven't been more attacking than most teams, and I'm very glad we haven't.

the 1982 team wouold never win any WC. that team was a failure.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:41 pm

Axeslammer wrote:According to Dutch pundits Joga Bonito is a fairy tale of Ottoesque proportions : they claim Brazil have been one of the most defensive (big) international teams for at least 20 years now...

...I have to agree ok

Brazil 1982 is the ultimate team for those who love the game, the Brazilian teams after 1982 are on par with Italy and Norway.....bar a few individual geniuses Ale
    lol!
    I gues I don't love football then. Biggrin
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:11 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:

Not winning a WC does not make a team a failure to me.

If the current Oranje keeps on playing like they do and win the WC, they'll still be one of my least liked Oranje-teams....

Style over Substance any day of the week Ale
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:14 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    mongrel hawk wrote:

If the current Oranje keeps on playing like they do and win the WC, they'll still be one of my least liked Oranje-teams....

Fair enough but rather patronising to say
    Brazil 1982 is the ultimate team for those who love the game
    You mean anybody who only loves attacking football.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:17 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    mongrel hawk wrote:

I can understand that. you're Dutch. ok

but I'd say many Brazilians agree with you on the 1982 team.
    Juligen
    Juligen

Number of posts : 2551
    Supports : FLAMENGO
    Registration date : 2006-08-21

Post by Juligen Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:48 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:

Dunga thinks this samba, futebol arte, joga bonito thing is a european trap to make sure brazil won't win.

Yeh, he's too paranoid and a bit crazy, but, indeed, Brazil are not in the WC to provide exotic entertainment for gringos. Brazil are there to win.

I dont think people are asking for taht samba football Todo, as I said, I liked our game agaisnt IC, maybe after so many awful games from England, France and Italy I lost my mind, but I think we played fun, fast and good football. Imagine if we had only one more creative player in that mildfield?

In my mind that game was better than what we did in 2006 and more entertaining that 94.

And lets be fair, the entire brazilian media agreed that the team played much better in the second game and that our performance against a hard team like Ivory Coast was good, they also said taht the team is improving and Kaka will probably only get better.

I just dont get this madness from Dunga, Parreira and even Felipao got much worse than him.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:56 pm

Juligen wrote:
    mongrel hawk wrote:

I dont think people are asking for taht samba football Todo, as I said, I liked our game agaisnt IC, maybe after so many awful games from England, France and Italy I lost my mind, but I think we played fun, fast and good football. Imagine if we had only one more creative player in that mildfield?

In my mind that game was better than what we did in 2006 and more entertaining that 94.

And lets be fair, the entire brazilian media agreed that the team played much better in the second game and that our performance against a hard team like Ivory Coast was good, they also said taht the team is improving and Kaka will probably only get better.

I just dont get this madness from Dunga, Parreira and even Felipao got much worse than him.
    Did you read the article by Vickery? An important part of that article was this bit which might help explain some of the things Dunga has been doing:

Much more than natural talent, this was the product of sheer hard work, fueled by the desire to prove people wrong. It would seem that this, more than anything else, is what makes Dunga tick. In 1994, he held the trophy aloft with a volley of abuse aimed at those who had doubted him or the team -- and 16 years on he coaches Brazil in the same spirit. He needs an enemy, and the press fulfill this role.
    Now he may be part mad but I definitely think he is building the siege mentality which helps to unite the players and keep the focus on Dunga and not on the players for example. It is a very useful strategy to build team morale. So even if the media were a bit more fair he would still need to vilify somebody.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:26 pm

@ju

I don't think we need one more creative player. we would have to drop a marking player, and I wouldn't like it at all.

@super africa

agreed it unites the team. they are all buyng this war against the press together, since most of the players were often bashed by the press.

they are not conceding exclusive interviews to any Brazilian journalist or TV channel, what is very uncommon here.

the other day robinho, that c**t who loves to be the centre of attention, could not resist the temptation and conceded an interview to TV Globo. he had to apologise to Dunga and all the squad because they had a pact not to do this.
    Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1899

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:35 pm

Juligen wrote:
    Big 4 Billy Bollocks™ wrote:
    Juligen wrote:But let me put this clear, I really want us to win this WC and after the Ivory Coast game my expectations got really high. Now I really think this team can win the WC.

I like the group, I think Kaka can still improve and our attack will get better. If only we could change Michel Bastos for Gilberto (nothing great, but a bit better)

I juts wish Dunga could be a bit more mature. But I guess thats ask for too much. Was Felipao that bad? I dont remember him being so bitter.

As a Spurs fan, my jaw has dropped in amazement. Gilberto is too long in the tooth now.

I think Dunga has done a superb job, and he's right not to indulge in the romantic ideologies of the Brazilian Press & the world over.

It's a serious football tournament, not an advert in an airport.

I actually like Gilberto, his pass in my opinion is much better than Bastos, but I also saw some pretty inconsistent games from Gilberto so I get why Dunga would still had doubts in that place, but after the game with IC I really wish Gilberto could be back at the team. There are some positions were Dunga tried several players, that I admit.

I am just glad he likes Maicon, it could be worse.

I don't think Gilberto should have been called up. He is playing as an attacking midfielder for a long time. All friends of mine that support Cruzeiro think that he is not having a good season. Michel Bastos was ok in the first match IMO.
    Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:42 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:@ju

I don't think we need one more creative player. we would have to drop a marking player, and I wouldn't like it at all.

@super africa

agreed it unites the team. they are all buyng this war against the press together, since most of the players were often bashed by the press.

they are not conceding exclusive interviews to any Brazilian journalist or TV channel, what is very uncommon here.

the other day robinho, that c**t who loves to be the centre of attention, could not resist the temptation and conceded an interview to TV Globo. he had to apologise to Dunga and all the squad because they had a pact not to do this.

I don't think Brazil need another attacking midfielder on the pitch, but IMO Dunga should have called up Ronaldinho or Ganso. WTF Kleberson is doing in the squad? He spent the last six years warming the bench wherever he has been.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:07 pm

Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:

@super africa

I don't think Brazil need another attacking midfielder on the pitch, but IMO Dunga should have called up Ronaldinho or Ganso. WTF Kleberson is doing in the squad? He spent the last six years warming the bench wherever he has been.

ronaldinho has no place in this team IMO. I'd rather have J Baptista than Ronaldinho in this situation. Moreover, all the media would have started a campaign for him to put Ronaldinho in place of felipe mello, what would fuck everything up.

ganso too has nothing to do there. he would fit in spain, not in brazil. this brazil is no team for this kind of player, as good as he may be.

and when he played against Corinthians, Ralf marked him and he did absolutely nothing. how to trust him to break marking systems in a WC?

and neymar, well, it would be a bloody disgrace if dunga had called this kid based on matches against ituanos and guaranis, just because the stupid press, in 2 months, decided he's the next pelé.

blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:11 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:

lol! Hug
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Big 4 Billy Bollocks™ wrote:

1990 too

Dunga and Alemao

Barrilete
    Barrilete

Number of posts : 2336
    Supports : Club Atlético Boca Juniors
    Favourite Player : Maxi Lopez, aka, TWD (The White Drogba)

Post by Barrilete Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:14 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:
    mongrel hawk wrote:

lol! Hug

Ale
    Juligen
    Juligen

Number of posts : 2551
    Supports : FLAMENGO
    Registration date : 2006-08-21

Post by Juligen Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:36 pm

@super africa

yeahh, even if I said that I wanted another creative player I have to admit that the defenders are doing a fine work, I am not Elano's biggets fan but so far he is doing a great cup.

Also, I agree with Todo, Ronaldinho wouldnt be happy to be in the bench and the media obvious wouldnt be in peace with that, so it could create problems in this group. Players like Ronaldinho, Adriano did all they could to be out from this group, I dont blame Dunga for that.

Remember last WC when the seniors players didnt let the young ones have space, and Parreira was afraid to bench players like Ronaldo, even if they had no conditions to play? This kind of mess we dont see in this group. In this group we know at least the players are working their asses off.

Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:41 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:

@super africa

ronaldinho has no place in this team IMO. I'd rather have J Baptista than Ronaldinho in this situation. Moreover, all the media would have started a campaign for him to put Ronaldinho in place of felipe mello, what would fuck everything up.

ganso too has nothing to do there. he would fit in spain, not in brazil. this brazil is no team for this kind of player, as good as he may be.

and when he played against Corinthians, Ralf marked him and he did absolutely nothing. how to trust him to break marking systems in a WC?

and neymar, well, it would be a bloody disgrace if dunga had called this kid based on matches against ituanos and guaranis, just because the stupid press, in 2 months, decided he's the next pelé.

They don't have space to be in the starting XI, but they would be useful subs. If Brazil concedes first in the KO stages, it will be very tough for them to score again.

Ganso played well against great clubs like Gremio, Atlético and São Paulo. He outshoned Robinho week in week out. He is consistent IMO.

I agree about Neymar.
    Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:33 pm

Juligen wrote:

@super africa

yeahh, even if I said that I wanted another creative player I have to admit that the defenders are doing a fine work, I am not Elano's biggets fan but so far he is doing a great cup.

Also, I agree with Todo, Ronaldinho wouldnt be happy to be in the bench and the media obvious wouldnt be in peace with that, so it could create problems in this group. Players like Ronaldinho, Adriano did all they could to be out from this group, I dont blame Dunga for that.

Remember last WC when the seniors players didnt let the young ones have space, and Parreira was afraid to bench players like Ronaldo, even if they had no conditions to play? This kind of mess we dont see in this group. In this group we know at least the players are working their asses off.

Well, maybe I'm being too naive, but I don't think Ronaldinho wouldn't accept to be out of the starting XI. He lost that "untouchable" status two or three years ago. He had a solid season. I agree about Adriano.

In the last WC players like Ronaldo and Adriano arrived at the team's camp out of form and clearly overweight. Parreira would never drop them from the squad. Brazil had the worst preparation ever. The players were overconfident and underestimated everyone else.
    Khadrim
    Khadrim

Number of posts : 1719
    Supports : Fulham soft spot for Liverpool, Newcastle, Wolfsburg, Rubin Kazan
    Favourite Player : Paintsil, Barry, Iniesta, Ozil
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by Khadrim Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:46 pm

I have to say I really like Dunga.

He's given people chances (Ronaldinho, Pato, Elano) and it is up to them take it or not. He has preserved group harmony by kicking out malcontents. He is loyal to the players who have performed for him. For me the most noble thing he did was his willngness to look at players outside the big leagues. Offering players in places like Ukraine and Russia a chance to play for the national team. He appears to be quite a honourable man.

Dunga ok ok
    Di Caniooooo!

Number of posts : 10829
    Supports : West Ham
    Favourite Player : Paolo Di Canio, Moore, Hurst, Peters
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Di Caniooooo! Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:04 pm

Did anyone hear what the did in North Korea? They the game off in the middle of the 2nd half and stated that Portugal had won and was receiving 3 points for the win Razz
    stinger

Number of posts : 6477
    Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:14 am

Khadrim wrote:I have to say I really like Dunga.

He's given people chances (Ronaldinho, Pato, Elano) and it is up to them take it or not. He has preserved group harmony by kicking out malcontents. He is loyal to the players who have performed for him. For me the most noble thing he did was his willngness to look at players outside the big leagues. Offering players in places like Ukraine and Russia a chance to play for the national team. He appears to be quite a honourable man.

Dunga ok ok
    Ale

I easily could see Ronaldinho's brother running his mouth after 1st game of the WC, if Ronaldinho would be benched or start from the bench. It could be like a potentially deadly disease - I don't understan all Dunga decisions when selecting players, but that one was actually one of the best.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:25 am