Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+48
Dejan Savićević
Tom
Cornicello
Six
Chocolate Thunder
Tarun
Murray
4-3-3
blutgraetsche
abundance
Khadrim
christmasborocooper
Sgoater1
TheCrazy58
Batman
Fantantonio
L r dd
COTR
Fade out
Pras_tama
Super Progress
Tweesus
BrianS
briz
TM
Pierre Littbarski
DeLux
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
Deano
DS
Black Magic
Red n' Black
EM Seleção e Selecção
Rosicky
Cesc Soler
Gigliati
fcb
3zycupid
Axeslammer
EMP
juvealè
BoBo Vieri 32
The Easter Bunny
Jaime
Ricardo Jol
bluenine
Calidad
Pirlo
52 posters

ITALIA - LA SQUADRA AZZURRA 2008-09

Pirlo
    Pirlo

Number of posts : 2750
    Supports : AC Milan
    Favourite Player : Andrea Pirlo, Maldini, Costacurta, Nesta, Redondo, Rui Costa, R. Baggio, Sheva, Boban, Albertini, Seedorf, Kaka!
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

ITALIA - LA SQUADRA AZZURRA 2008-09 Empty ITALIA - LA SQUADRA AZZURRA 2008-09

Post by Pirlo Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:05 pm

Let's put this embarrasing and disastrous performance at the Euro2008 behind us and look foward to hopefully a new era under Lippi.

Our first friendly with this 'new' team is against Austria. What is most interesting will be the new tactical direction and the core sqaud. Lippi himself has acknowledged that we are at a point in time where we need to blend the more experienced players with some younger talents. There are also some players who have been given time under Donadoni that Lippi will not persevere with or trust tactically, and also some members from his 2006 squad.

In his press conference he seemed to reject the opportunities for Totti and Nesta to return, he said that they have made their choice and he will make no attempt to talk to them about a return. This is a good decision in my opinion, although we could certainly do with a player of Nesta's ability, he does have bad luck with injury in 1998, 2002 and 2006!

Let's hope with renewed effort we can make a great defence of our world title, but first we need to qualify!
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

ITALIA - LA SQUADRA AZZURRA 2008-09 Empty Re: ITALIA - LA SQUADRA AZZURRA 2008-09

Post by Calidad Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:56 am

As highly as I rate Nesta he may not be the same player come 2010 anyway. It's probably not worth it calling him back. Same goes for Totti really.

Would be a wise move to blood in the likes of Maggio, Montolivo, Pasqual, Aquilani etc
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

ITALIA - LA SQUADRA AZZURRA 2008-09 Empty Re: ITALIA - LA SQUADRA AZZURRA 2008-09

Post by bluenine Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:33 pm

I am not against getting Nesta back, but what is the point of even considering the return of Totti??? He will be way past it by 2010. Lippi is doing the right thing!!!

Here is what I think Lippi should do:
    1. Retire some players, who do not have a future in 2010. Cannavaro, Ambrosini, Perrotta, Camoranesi, Toni, Del Piero, Panucci, Inzaghi, Grosso and Materazzi are all going to be past it.

2. Blood some youngsters... there are plenty with talent that could serve well in 2010. Giovinco, Rosina, Aquilani, Montolivo, Cigarini, Santacroce, Gamberini, Pasqual, Nocerino, Rossi, Balotelli, Russotto etc should all get a chance to play a few games for the Azzurri - some of them could make the starting XI by 2010.

3. The only way this transition will happen is if a lot of these kids get a chance to play in the qualifiers. I am a bit hopeful on this one, Lippi does experiment a lot and uses a lot of players... He played 71 different players in his previous 2 year tenure, and IMO thats what he needs to do again.

The Italy squad I would like to see in 2010:

GKs: Buffon, Amelia, Consigli/Curci/De Sanctis
    Defenders: Nesta, Zambrotta, Pasqual, Chiellini, Gamberini, Santacroce, Mesto/Motta/Criscito/De Ceglie/Dossena,
    Midfielders: Pirlo, De Rossi, Aquilani, Montolivo, Semioli/Foggia, Rosina/Russotto/Dessena, Donadel/Nocerino/Palombo, Giovinco/Cigarini
    Strikers: Amauri, Cassano, Di Natale, Quagliarella, Iaquinta/Gila, Balotelli/Rossi/Osvaldo

If some of these young players are given enough chances early, they will not be too inexperienced to do well in 2010. However, this is Italy. And hence they will not be given the chances so early in their careers.
    Pirlo
    Pirlo

Favourite Player : Andrea Pirlo, Maldini, Costacurta, Nesta, Redondo, Rui Costa, R. Baggio, Sheva, Boban, Albertini, Seedorf, Kaka!

Post by Pirlo Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:36 pm

Amauri has citizenship, Ledesma will also be an Italian citizen within a few days.

Two good squad options if Lippi choses to make the call-up.
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:41 pm

Pirlo wrote:Amauri has citizenship, Ledesma will also be an Italian citizen within a few days.

f@ck off with those nationalisations... keep national football a national football team...
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:52 pm

San Jol wrote:
    Pirlo wrote:Amauri has citizenship, Ledesma will also be an Italian citizen within a few days.

f@ck off with those nationalisations... keep national football a national football team...

Ale
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by The Easter Bunny Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:58 pm

Jaime wrote:
    San Jol wrote:

Ale

Dam Germans Ale
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:20 pm

Lippi seemed quite cautious about oriundi when asked about it. He says we should only pick them if we are their first choice.

Personally, i don't think we should take them, not only because we don't need them, but also because theyre not italian! They don't have any italian blood and havn't been brought up in Italy. They'd only be playing for us because they got rejected by their nations.
    juvealè

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2007-11-05

Post by juvealè Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:50 pm

Amauri would be an asset to Italy who obviously lack proper strikers nowadays. The guy can hypothetically become the Prime Minister of Italy, but he shouldn't be able to play for the Azzurri?

If he had any other occupation, he would be considered Italian. Why is football the exception?

Guerreiro of Poland is one thing. He's only lived in Poland for two years and was given citizenship for the sole reason of football. That obviously is very questionable and I hope it doesn't occur elsewhere. Amauri and Ledesma however have lived in Italy for a long time and are accustomed to the culture and know the language. I'd also say that Amauri is good enough for the Brazilian NT and if he still chooses Italy, then it obviously must mean something.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:25 pm

Sadomin wrote:Amauri would be an asset to Italy who obviously lack proper strikers nowadays. The guy can hypothetically become the Prime Minister of Italy, but he shouldn't be able to play for the Azzurri?

If he had any other occupation, he would be considered Italian. Why is football the exception?

Guerreiro of Poland is one thing. He's only lived in Poland for two years and was given citizenship for the sole reason of football. That obviously is very questionable and I hope it doesn't occur elsewhere. Amauri and Ledesma however have lived in Italy for a long time and are accustomed to the culture and know the language. I'd also say that Amauri is good enough for the Brazilian NT and if he still chooses Italy, then it obviously must mean something.

Amuari is a mercenary. He wants Brazil, but if he can't get that he'll take Italy. We shouldn't be taking the rejects of other teams. Amuari had been trying hard to get the paper work done so he could get a NT call up, but then recently Dunga hinted that Brazil might call him up, and Amuari is now not so sure about playing for Italy. I wouldn't want someone like that on my team. Camoranesi was pushing it, but we can let him off because he had an Italian grandfather. This is just too far IMO.
    Pirlo
    Pirlo

Post by Pirlo Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:14 am

About nationality, i'm not bothered. If a person is happy to live in my country and adopt our culture and language and ready to identify with and represent us, then as far as i'm concerned they're a part of my country. At the end of the day, we're all immigrants and emigrants.

What i do object to is a DONKEY like Camoranesi who openly sniggers at the fact he doesn't know the words to our national hymn, and mercenaries who chose to play for Italy as a reserve option because they can't get into their first choice home nation. If an Argentine or Brazilian moves to Italy and choses to make us home and prefers our way of life, learns the language, then fine, in my eyes he's an Italian citizen and i'll support him.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:55 pm

Balotelli turns 18 today, and now is eligible to play for the azzurri... so will it be the Euro U19 for him in 2009, or the world cup in 2010?

Hopefully both! Wink

It all depends on whether Lippi picks him in the next 6 months... there are a lot of quality strikers in Italy, so it won't be easy.
    EMP
    EMP

Number of posts : 7384
    Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
    Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by EMP Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:44 pm

Jaime wrote:
    San Jol wrote:

Ale

So how do you feel about Senna then? Without him Albelda would probably have gone. Do you think Spain would have won without Senna?
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:11 pm

Italy: Lippi calls Gila, cuts Cassano
    Saturday 16 August, 2008
    Marcello Lippi has called Alberto Gilardino and Andrea Dossena for his first Italy friendly, but dropped Antonio Cassano.

The ‘new’ Coach announced the squad for his debut match on Wednesday against Austria, but there are very few changes to the group Roberto Donadoni took to Euro 2008.

Gilardino earns a recall after his fine form for Fiorentina, including a goal in this week’s 2-0 Champions League preliminary round win over Slavia Prague.

Dossena is a new introduction following his move to Liverpool, while Daniele Bonera, Marco Cassetti and Angelo Palombo return to the Azzurri fold.

The real surprise is the absence of Sampdoria starlet Cassano, who had been one of Italy’s best performers at the European Championship.

The squad will unite at the Coverciano training ground on Monday before heading out to the French city of Nice for the game.

Goalkeepers: Amelia (Palermo), Buffon (Juventus).

Defenders: Barzagli (Wolfsburg), Bonera (Milan), Cassetti (Roma), Chiellini (Juventus), Dossena (Liverpool), Grosso (Lyon), Zambrotta (Milan).

Midfielders: Aquilani (Roma), Camoranesi (Juventus), De Rossi (Roma), Gattuso (Milan), Palombo (Sampdoria), Perrotta (Roma), Pirlo (Milan).

Forwards: Del Piero (Juventus), Di Natale (Udinese), Gilardino (Fiorentina), Iaquinta (Juventus).
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:05 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
    Goalkeepers: Amelia (Palermo), Buffon (Juventus).

Defenders: Barzagli (Wolfsburg), Bonera (Milan), Cassetti (Roma), Chiellini (Juventus), Dossena (Liverpool), Grosso (Lyon), Zambrotta (Milan).

Midfielders: Aquilani (Roma), Camoranesi (Juventus), De Rossi (Roma), Gattuso (Milan), Palombo (Sampdoria), Perrotta (Roma), Pirlo (Milan).

Forwards: Del Piero (Juventus), Di Natale (Udinese), Gilardino (Fiorentina), Iaquinta (Juventus).

I am quite disappointed with this squad... I undertsand at this stage Lippi is just experimenting, and hence its not about who has not been called up, but about who has been called up.

Specially disappointed by the inclusions of Bonera, Gattuso, Perrotta, Del Piero & Di Natale.

Bonera has already shown that he is not at this level, why is he getting a chance over the more talented young CBs like Gamberini or even the kid Santacroce? Those guys need experience to become future greats, Bonera will never be anything more than a squad player.

Gattuso? Why, why, why?? Ditto Perrotta, he has lost pace and most likely will not cut it in 2010... shouldn't Lippi taken this opportunity to blood talents like Montolivo, Giovinco, Rosina, Donadel, Nocerino, etc?

As for Del Piero and Di Natale, we already know very well what they are capable of.... perhaps Rossi, Balotelli, & Quagliarella should have been given the chance... they are more likely to be on top of their game in 2010 than these two old strikers....

What a wasted opportunity.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:43 pm

I too am a bit dissapointed. It's just the same old faces really. I remember Lippi used Bonera alot in qualifying for 06 until he constantly got injured. He still very nearly made the final squad though. With the more established players like Zambrotta, Oddo, Canna, Matrix getting old, and Nesta having retired i think we'll probably see more of Bonera. He's a decent player but he's no Canna or Nesta.

Montolivo, Giovinco etc. were at the Olympics so i don't think he could've called them up. Hopefully they will get the chance. Perrotta and Gattuso are both starting to fade.

Really surprised Cassano didn't get a call. He should be building his attack around Cassano and Gila. Del Piero will be 36 in 2010 so he really should start looking past him.

I can't say i'm surprised though. I expect Lippi will stick with the older generation since he coached lots of them last time round and when he was at Juve. Like you said in another thread, it may have been better if we had a younger coach who is more familiar with the younger players.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy

Post by Axeslammer Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:19 pm

Pirlo wrote:About nationality, i'm not bothered. If a person is happy to live in my country and adopt our culture and language and ready to identify with and represent us, then as far as i'm concerned they're a part of my country.

So the real question is : does Amauri dive ?

Whistle
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:37 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
    Pirlo wrote:About nationality, i'm not bothered. If a person is happy to live in my country and adopt our culture and language and ready to identify with and represent us, then as far as i'm concerned they're a part of my country.

So the real question is : does Amauri dive ?

Whistle
    I think you are confused.... Amauri is ITALIAN-BRASILIAN, not DUTCH!!! Razz

Either ways, he is from a winning culture... we can't say the same for Robben, Van Persie, etc... Razz Razz
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:43 am

Now the big question is: Does Lippi have the guts to buckle the trend and call up Balotelli and Santacroce to the national squad?

There is no question that Balotelli is ready. This kid could be a big weapon for the azzurri in 2010. Santacroce may not be as ready, but he is the most gifted young CB in Italy. If he is given the right exposure in the next two years, he could be the "new Nesta" that Italy so desperately needs for 2010. Or will both of them play the U21 championship next year and come up the ranks like its usually done in Italy??

My take is that while Lippi might try out Balotelli, he is unlikely to change much in the defence, which is sad. Nesta became so good coz he played for Italy when he was 20 and gained valuable experience sitting on the bench in Euro1996 as a 20 year old. Italys first game is against Cyprus, what better an opportunity to blood these kids into the world of competitive international football. Plus, Cannavaro and Materazzi are injured, wouldn't this be a great time to try out the future Italian CB partnerhip of Chiellini-Santacroce????

Will Balotelli become the first teenager to represent Italy in a major championship since Paolo Maldini in Euro1988?? These kids could add some colour into the Azzurri, no pun intended.

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:I too am a bit dissapointed. It's just the same old faces really. I remember Lippi used Bonera alot in qualifying for 06 until he constantly got injured. He still very nearly made the final squad though. With the more established players like Zambrotta, Oddo, Canna, Matrix getting old, and Nesta having retired i think we'll probably see more of Bonera. He's a decent player but he's no Canna or Nesta.

Montolivo, Giovinco etc. were at the Olympics so i don't think he could've called them up. Hopefully they will get the chance. Perrotta and Gattuso are both starting to fade.

Really surprised Cassano didn't get a call. He should be building his attack around Cassano and Gila. Del Piero will be 36 in 2010 so he really should start looking past him.

I can't say i'm surprised though. I expect Lippi will stick with the older generation since he coached lots of them last time round and when he was at Juve. Like you said in another thread, it may have been better if we had a younger coach who is more familiar with the younger players.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:43 pm

EMP wrote:
    Jaime wrote:
    San Jol wrote:

Ale

So how do you feel about Senna then? Without him Albelda would probably have gone. Do you think Spain would have won without Senna?

Don't know if Spain would have won with or without him. And it's nothing against him personally. It's just, he should play for Brasil.
    3zycupid
    3zycupid

Number of posts : 290
    Supports : Juventus
    Favourite Player : R. Baggio, Del Piero & Buffon

Post by 3zycupid Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:33 pm

Italy: Cannavaro's comeback Sunday 31 August, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fabio Cannavaro and Luca Toni are back for the World Cup qualifiers against Cyprus and Georgia, but there’s still no room for Antonio Cassano.
    Marcello Lippi has stuck with much the same squad that drew 2-2 with Austria in a friendly earlier this month, with the return of Cannavaro and Toni from injury.
    The World Cup winning captain and 2006 Ballon d’Or makes his comeback for the first time since fracturing a bone in his foot just days before the start of Euro 2008.
    It is an important return, as Italy have to do without the injured Giorgio Chiellini and Marco Materazzi at centre-back.
    As expected, Sampdoria starlet Cassano has been left out again by Lippi despite his good show at the European Championships this summer.
    Gennaro Gattuso is in the side, although he missed Milan’s 2-1 defeat to Bologna today due to a shoulder injury he sustained while on international duty.

Italy squad:
    Goalkeepers: Buffon (Juventus), Amelia (Palermo), De Sanctis (Galatasaray)

Defenders: Barzagli (Wolfsburg), Cannavaro (Real Madrid), Cassetti (Roma), Dossena (Liverpool), Gamberini (Fiorentina), Grosso (Lyon), Legrottaglie (Juventus), Zambrotta (Milan)

Midfielders: Aquilani (Roma), Camoranesi (Juventus), De Rossi (Roma), Gattuso (Milan), Palombo (Sampdoria), Pirlo (Milan)

Forwards: Del Piero (Juventus), Di Natale (Udinese), Gilardino (Fiorentina), Iaquinta (Juventus), Toni (Bayern Munich)
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:44 pm

3zycupid wrote:
    Italy: Cannavaro's comeback Sunday 31 August, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fabio Cannavaro and Luca Toni are back for the World Cup qualifiers against Cyprus and Georgia, but there’s still no room for Antonio Cassano.
    Marcello Lippi has stuck with much the same squad that drew 2-2 with Austria in a friendly earlier this month, with the return of Cannavaro and Toni from injury.
    The World Cup winning captain and 2006 Ballon d’Or makes his comeback for the first time since fracturing a bone in his foot just days before the start of Euro 2008.
    It is an important return, as Italy have to do without the injured Giorgio Chiellini and Marco Materazzi at centre-back.
    As expected, Sampdoria starlet Cassano has been left out again by Lippi despite his good show at the European Championships this summer.
    Gennaro Gattuso is in the side, although he missed Milan’s 2-1 defeat to Bologna today due to a shoulder injury he sustained while on international duty.

Italy squad:
    Goalkeepers: Buffon (Juventus), Amelia (Palermo), De Sanctis (Galatasaray)

Defenders: Barzagli (Wolfsburg), Cannavaro (Real Madrid), Cassetti (Roma), Dossena (Liverpool), Gamberini (Fiorentina), Grosso (Lyon), Legrottaglie (Juventus), Zambrotta (Milan)

Midfielders: Aquilani (Roma), Camoranesi (Juventus), De Rossi (Roma), Gattuso (Milan), Palombo (Sampdoria), Pirlo (Milan)

Forwards: Del Piero (Juventus), Di Natale (Udinese), Gilardino (Fiorentina), Iaquinta (Juventus), Toni (Bayern Munich)
    No Cassano is strange. Also no Balotelli, Montolivo, Santacroce, Rosina, etc. I am a bit disappointed, when will he blood the new generation??
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:45 pm

Cannavaro's in the squad, despite not even playing a single pre-season game for Madrid? (he may have got a sub appearance but I'm pretty sure he didn't start) lol!
    3zycupid
    3zycupid

Number of posts : 290
    Supports : Juventus
    Favourite Player : R. Baggio, Del Piero & Buffon

Post by 3zycupid Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:43 pm

bluenine wrote:

No Cassano is strange. Also no Balotelli, Montolivo, Santacroce, Rosina, etc. I am a bit disappointed, when will he blood the new generation??
    Balotelli in Azzurrini squad.
    Lippi has stated it many times: he'll introduce the young players gradually. Let's give him time.

Super Mario gets Azzurrini call Friday 29 August, 2008

Inter's teenage star Mario Balotelli has received his first Italian call-up as he is included in Pierluigi Casiraghi's Under-21 squad.
    Balotelli officially became an Italian citizen on August 12 when he turned 18 and he had hoped to be called up for the Azzurri's friendly against Austria.
    But the former Lumezzane marksman has had to settle for selection in Casiraghi's squad to face Greece and Croatia in European Championship qualifiers.
    Casiraghi is trying to get back on track after the disappointment of the Olympic Games where Italy were knocked out by Belgium in the quarter-finals.
    The other new faces in the Azzurrini squad are Roma centre-back Marco Andreolli and young Fiorentina goalkeeper Andrea Seculin.
    The group will meet at the Hilton Hotel near Rome's Fiumicino Airport on Tuesday September 2 before travelling to their camp in Castel Di Sangro.
    They face Greece on September 5 there before travelling to Croatia on September 9.

Italy Under-21 squad:

Goalkeepers: Consigli (Atalanta), Seculin (Fiorentina), Sirigu (Ancona)

Defenders: Andreolli (Roma), Bocchetti (Genoa), Criscito (Genoa), De Ceglie (Juventus), Marzoratti (Empoli), Motta (Udinese), Pisano (Cagliari), Ranocchia (Bari)

Midfielders: Bolzoni (Inter), Candreva (Udinese), Cigarini (Atalanta), Dessena (Sampdoria), Giovinco (Juventus), Marchisio (Juventus), Morosini (Vicenza), Russotto (Napoli)

Strikers: Acquafresca (Cagliari), Balotelli (Inter), Lanzafame (Palermo), Osvaldo (Fiorentina)
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:50 pm

That explains a lot... if Lippi is seriously considering Montolivo, Balotelli and Rossi, then its cool. These are key players for the future.

Lippi: I Would've Called Rossi & Montolivo
    Marcello Lippi has responded to criticism over the lack of younger players in his Italy squad, and says he would have called up Giuseppe Rossi and Riccardo Montolivo if they weren’t injured. This weekend, the Azzurri begin the defence of the trophy they won in Germany two years ago, as they travel to Cyprus for their opening 2010 World Cup qualifier.

World Cup winning Italy coach Lippi, who has returned for a second spell in charge, has been criticised in some quarters for not picking many young players, and instead largely sticking to the old guard who failed at Euro 2008.

“I have nothing against the people who didn't make it,” Lippi told the Gazzetta dello Sport.

“For one thing I would have called Riccardo Montolivo and Giuseppe Rossi if they were available.

“I am also watching Mario Balotelli because he is a promising youngster. I like him a lot and I think he'll become an important player.”

Lippi also explained the exclusions of Massimo Ambrosini and Marco Materazzi.

“I respect Ambrosini as a player and a professional but I have to make my decisions,” he continued.

“As for Marco, he is still suffering from an injury and I would rather call Fabio Cannavaro and not take any risks.

Lippi then warned his players not to take the match against Cyprus for granted, or else a shock could be in store.

“The more we think it will be easy, the more difficult it will be,” the 60-year-old noted.

“This is the first game on the road to repeating Berlin. I didn't just come back to win but to rebuild a winning foundation.

“However, we will remember that we have the world champions' logo on our shirts and we will be united and full of intent.”
    Gigliati
    Gigliati

Number of posts : 151
    Supports : Fiorentina
    Favourite Player : Batistuta
    Registration date : 2007-03-09

Post by Gigliati Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:48 pm

Montolivo has more than earned a call up!

And Gila will be Italy's star in 2010, you heard it here first.

bluenine wrote:That explains a lot... if Lippi is seriously considering Montolivo, Balotelli and Rossi, then its cool. These are key players for the future.

Lippi: I Would've Called Rossi & Montolivo
    Marcello Lippi has responded to criticism over the lack of younger players in his Italy squad, and says he would have called up Giuseppe Rossi and Riccardo Montolivo if they weren’t injured. This weekend, the Azzurri begin the defence of the trophy they won in Germany two years ago, as they travel to Cyprus for their opening 2010 World Cup qualifier.

World Cup winning Italy coach Lippi, who has returned for a second spell in charge, has been criticised in some quarters for not picking many young players, and instead largely sticking to the old guard who failed at Euro 2008.

“I have nothing against the people who didn't make it,” Lippi told the Gazzetta dello Sport.

“For one thing I would have called Riccardo Montolivo and Giuseppe Rossi if they were available.

“I am also watching Mario Balotelli because he is a promising youngster. I like him a lot and I think he'll become an important player.”

Lippi also explained the exclusions of Massimo Ambrosini and Marco Materazzi.

“I respect Ambrosini as a player and a professional but I have to make my decisions,” he continued.

“As for Marco, he is still suffering from an injury and I would rather call Fabio Cannavaro and not take any risks.

Lippi then warned his players not to take the match against Cyprus for granted, or else a shock could be in store.

“The more we think it will be easy, the more difficult it will be,” the 60-year-old noted.

“This is the first game on the road to repeating Berlin. I didn't just come back to win but to rebuild a winning foundation.

“However, we will remember that we have the world champions' logo on our shirts and we will be united and full of intent.”
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:42 am

Gigliati wrote:Montolivo has more than earned a call up!

And Gila will be Italy's star in 2010, you heard it here first.

I am quite sure that Gila will claw his way back into the team for 2010, but expecting him to be the star is pushing it!
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:24 pm

Not watching the game, but apparently Balotelli has scored in his debut for Azzurini...

Come'on Lippi, this kid gotta make the 2010 squad!!
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:25 pm

What was the Italian line up ?
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:02 pm

Ah, the good ol italian approach to youth development... while there are merits to it, Balotelli could really help the italian cause in 2010.

Lippi: Don't rush Balotelli
    Marcello Lippi resists calls for Mario Balotelli to step up to the senior Italy squad. “He’s not ready.” The 18-year-old Inter striker has exploded on to the Serie A scene and finally made his international debut in last night’s Under-21 game with Greece. Super Mario scored a goal in that 1-1 draw, having at last earned Italian citizenship that was withheld due to red tape.

Among those calling for an immediate promotion to the Azzurri is 1982 World Cup winning tactician Enzo Bearzot. “Is he ready for the Nazionale? In my view, no,” replied Lippi this morning on Raisport. “Balotelli has to take his own steps and his particular journey. We are living in an era where everything is rushed too quickly.

“In fact, we’d do well to stop calling him ‘Super Mario’ or ‘phenomenon,’ as in this way we risk ruining the player.” The teenager has already broken into the Inter first team and won over the fans with some decisive goals in last year’s Scudetto race. Italy begin their 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign tonight against Cyprus, kick-off is at 19.45 UK time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:32 pm