Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+48
Dejan Savićević
Tom
Cornicello
Six
Chocolate Thunder
Tarun
Murray
4-3-3
blutgraetsche
abundance
Khadrim
christmasborocooper
Sgoater1
TheCrazy58
Batman
Fantantonio
L r dd
COTR
Fade out
Pras_tama
Super Progress
Tweesus
BrianS
briz
TM
Pierre Littbarski
DeLux
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
Deano
DS
Black Magic
Red n' Black
EM Seleção e Selecção
Rosicky
Cesc Soler
Gigliati
fcb
3zycupid
Axeslammer
EMP
juvealè
BoBo Vieri 32
The Easter Bunny
Jaime
Ricardo Jol
bluenine
Calidad
Pirlo
52 posters

ITALIA - LA SQUADRA AZZURRA 2008-09

3zycupid
    3zycupid

Number of posts : 290
    Supports : Juventus
    Favourite Player : R. Baggio, Del Piero & Buffon
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

ITALIA - LA SQUADRA AZZURRA 2008-09 - Page 2 Empty Re: ITALIA - LA SQUADRA AZZURRA 2008-09

Post by 3zycupid Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:58 pm

0-1 Di Natale
    3zycupid
    3zycupid

ITALIA - LA SQUADRA AZZURRA 2008-09 - Page 2 Empty Re: ITALIA - LA SQUADRA AZZURRA 2008-09

Post by 3zycupid Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:07 pm

Gamberini injured (shoulder) after 1 minute and now Grosso gone as well.
    3zycupid
    3zycupid

Post by 3zycupid Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:18 pm

1-1 What a mistake from Cassetti!
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
    Supports : Arsenal FC

Post by Cesc Soler Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:20 pm

Cypriot football seems to be on the rise.

1-1. (Aloneftis)
    3zycupid
    3zycupid

Post by 3zycupid Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:40 pm

1-2 Di Natale scores his's second goal.
    Rosicky
    Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
    Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
    Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:41 pm

90th minute Rolling Eyes
    EM Seleção e Selecção
    EM Seleção e Selecção

Number of posts : 2495
    Supports : Portugal Brasil Africa
    Favourite Player : Ronaldo Zidane Dinho Figo CR Robinho Neymar Hazard
    Registration date : 2007-11-22

Post by EM Seleção e Selecção Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:45 pm

Like I said cypriot football is improving and improving all the time.

Cyprus have been robbed they deserved to win this game and should of been a couple of goals ahead by half time but WC show their experience once again by the way Di Natale was the threat .

What a game WOW!
    3zycupid
    3zycupid

Post by 3zycupid Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:49 pm

Cyprus 1 - 2 Italy FT
    We don't deserve it.
    I feel bad for Cyprus, we played like Cr@p.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:54 am

We really played like $h!t.

4-2-2-2? come on Lippi! It didn't work for Brazil so it's not likely to work for us. We need to improve and get some younger players in the squad.
    Red n' Black
    Red n' Black

Number of posts : 1499
    Supports : AC Milan
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by Red n' Black Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:20 am

Damn, I really regret not going to the game. Sad I was convinced we would lose easily but I was thinking at least I'll see some of the Italy&Milan players. However, since I didn't get a ticket in advance I had to be in the stadium 4-5 hours before kick-off to get one from the ticket office, so I said nevermind.

I watched it on TV, of course Italy were below-par but we put in a good performance, so I'm pretty happy even though we lost in the end.
    Black Magic

Number of posts : 7514
    Registration date : 2007-10-14

Post by Black Magic Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:39 am

Cassetti lol!

That's what we have to deal with on a weekly basis. cheers
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:52 am

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:We really played like $h!t.

4-2-2-2? come on Lippi! It didn't work for Brazil so it's not likely to work for us. We need to improve and get some younger players in the squad.
    It was disgraceful, bobo. I don't know what to say, but that ain't Italy. For the first time, I wish they had lost - really feel for Cyprus.

Lippi needs to realise that this is 2008, not 2006. Some of his players now are too old. The likes of Barzagli have since proven that they are not good enough for this level. And taking players like Cassetti is ridiculous - why why why?? Even Dossena would have done better.... and whey didn't he take Pasqual?

Anyways, until Lippi realises that he needs to try out the likes of Giovinco, Balotelli, Rossi, Montolivo, Rosina, etc, Italy are not winning anything.

good article at channel 4:

Blog: Lippi's step back
    Marcello Lippi’s Azzurri showed no improvement on Roberto Donadoni’s reign and Susy Campanale notes he was rescued by the only non-2006 player. When Marcello Lippi announced his first squad list, I expressed concern at the lack of new faces and the fact he was if anything trying to turn back the clock to rely on the side that won the World Cup two years ago. Following the friendly draw with Austria and this frankly embarrassing performance – for which we must apologise to Cyprus, robbed of a deserved win in cruel fashion – it has become even more obvious that Italy must look to the future and not the past.

Is it a coincidence that the goals were scored by the only player who was not a part of that 2006 triumph in Berlin? Welcomed into the Azzurri by Roberto Donadoni, Antonio Di Natale saved their blushes last night with two well-taken strikes after the eternally under-performing Luca Toni and Alberto Gilardino had failed to even dent the Cypriot defences. It beggars belief that Lippi would honestly think fielding those two together would be anything other than a disaster. They hadn’t forged a partnership since the World Cup tie against Australia, which as we all remember required a late Francesco Totti penalty to see Italy through. They are too similar, slow and cumbersome to create space for each other or anyone else.

Lippi has been too quick to scrap everything that Donadoni worked on in the intervening two years and his decision to drop Antonio Cassano like a stone seems stranger with each uninspiring game. His point-blank refusal to even consider Mario Balotelli for a step up to the senior squad also worries me, as if the 18-year-old talent is good enough to push his way into the Inter line-up, then he can certainly be given a chance to shake up Gilardino and Toni. What’s the worst that could happen by flinging him on as a substitute when opponents are tired?

This weekend has shown a number of surprise results and stuttering performances from the big guns, proving that the old cliché about there being no easy games anymore is pretty close to reality. With that in mind, Lippi showed breath-taking arrogance in fielding a Brazil-style group of attacking players when he knew full well that match fitness is a problem and the defence to back this up is extremely shaky.

Fabio Cannavaro is returning from a long-term injury, while Alessandro Gamberini was fairly untested at this level and eventually Italy ended up with the painfully bad Andrea Barzagli and Marco Cassetti. Has the nation that churned out talents like Franco Baresi and Paolo Maldini really come to this?
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by DS Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:20 am

So opinions on Gamberini and how he has been for Fiorentina ?
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:20 am

I am waiting to see who Lippi calls up to replace Grosso and Gamberini... for Grosso, it should be Pasqual/Motta/Criscito, but most likely Lippi will call up Panucci Doh For Gamberini, it should be someone new like Santacroce/Andreolli/Bocchetti... but knowing Lippi, he would probably call up Materazzi Doh
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:26 am

DS wrote:So opinions on Gamberini and how he has been for Fiorentina ?

IMO he is the best CB of his generation in Italy. He is certainly not at the level of the great Italian CBs of the past (Nesta, Cannavaro, Baresi, Bergomi, etc) but he has been quite dependable for Fiorentina. I think his development has been hampered coz he was not inducted into the azzurri 4 years ago as he should have been... he could not learn from Nesta-Cannavaro, instead he has learnt under Dainelli - that makes a huge difference. I think he is talented enough to rise to another level in his career as he gets more and more azzurri experience.

Chiellini-Gamberini should be Italys CB partnership for 2010.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:38 pm

bluenine wrote:I am waiting to see who Lippi calls up to replace Grosso and Gamberini... for Grosso, it should be Pasqual/Motta/Criscito, but most likely Lippi will call up Panucci Doh For Gamberini, it should be someone new like Santacroce/Andreolli/Bocchetti... but knowing Lippi, he would probably call up Materazzi Doh

Apparently he is not calling anyone Doh

So Cannavaro will start with Barzagli or Legrotaglie Doh

And Zambrotta will start with Dossena or Cassetti - God, please let it be Dossena!!
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:01 pm

Materazzi and Panucci are the two most popular players now in the Netherlands.... LOL.... Ale ok
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:12 pm

Another sluggish performance...and to think we were all slagging off Donadoni lol!. Could it just be the fact we don't have the players anymore?? We lose key players, and don't replace them with ones of the same quality?

It's gonna be another tough campaign judging by that!
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:22 pm

bluenine wrote:I am waiting to see who Lippi calls up to replace Grosso and Gamberini... for Grosso, it should be Pasqual/Motta/Criscito, but most likely Lippi will call up Panucci Doh For Gamberini, it should be someone new like Santacroce/Andreolli/Bocchetti... but knowing Lippi, he would probably call up Materazzi Doh

Lippi will never call Panucci!
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:06 am

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:

Lippi will never call Panucci!

Yeah, how could I forget that...

Looks like Gattuso got himself injured too... this Italy is jinxed, one dislocated shoulder, one fractured rib and now a fractured hand! All in one day! Why is Lippi not calling any reinforcements?

Italy are so lucky that the first 2 games are against the weakest teams!!
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:10 am

Valon Deano Behrami wrote:Another sluggish performance...and to think we were all slagging off Donadoni lol!. Could it just be the fact we don't have the players anymore?? We lose key players, and don't replace them with ones of the same quality?

It's gonna be another tough campaign judging by that!

IMO its not so much that Italy don't have players anymore than its the reluctance to blood the youngsters... if you keep on carrying the old players, the perfromances will drop.

There might be a resource crunch when it comes to CBs, but in all other positions there is a wealth of talent which has not been tapped by the national coaches over the last 3-4 years. I see no reason why Cassano, Montolivo, Balotelli, Rosina, & Rossi are not in the squad, talent wise they deserve to be there! While the rest deserve a chance at this level, Cassano has already proven that he deserves his place.

About CBs, Lippi will have to take a leap of faith and give some promising kids a go... you can either live with old players who don't have the legs anymore (Cannavaro-Materazzi) or live with confirmed mediocrity (Bonera, Legrotaglie, Barzagli, Ferrari) or give the promising kids a go (Santacroce, Andreolli). I think Chiellini and Gamberini (both injured) walk into the team at the mo, but the question is - who are going to be the ideal back-ups in 2010? 35+ year olds, or mediocre players or current promising kids? Looks like Lippi is exercising the first 2 options. While this I can still understand, there is no explanation on the above paragraph.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:59 am

Nocerino has been called up as Gattuso's replacement - thats one step in the right direction! <Ale>
    Deano
    Deano

Number of posts : 22042
    Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:05 am

I agree with Santacroce...Andreolli I'm a bit worried about. Would Cannavaro and Santacroce work?
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:09 am

Valon Deano Behrami wrote:I agree with Santacroce...Andreolli I'm a bit worried about. Would Cannavaro and Santacroce work?

I would hope so... Santacroce could benefit so much by playing a few games under Cannavaro's guidance. Look how Chiellini has blossomed, we definately need one more. Sadly, Gamberini missed out - he should have played 15-20 games alongside Cannavaro in the last 2-3 years, instead of Donadoni persisting with Materazzi....
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:55 pm

I promise you, I didn't write this article!! But looks like I am not the only one rooting for Cassano, Rosina, Rossi, Montolivo and Santacroce.

From goal.com!!

Calcio Debate: Italy Will Fail In South Africa, Unless…
    After watching Italy’s embarrassing display against Cyprus on Saturday night, Carlo Garganese is adamant that La Nazionale have no chance of succeeding in South Africa unless some drastic changes in personnel are made. My opinion on the way forward for the Italian national team is well known to those who regularly read my Calcio debates. Last month, before the disappointing friendly draw with Austria, I drew up a list of players from the Euro 2008 campaign who I believed should eventually be purged ahead of South Africa.

Many of these, such as Andrea Barzagli, Gennaro Gattuso and Luca Toni remained in the set-up, and the results have been there for everyone to see. Despite the fact that Cyprus have a decent home record, Italy never play well in August and September, players are not fully fit, and there has also been some bad luck with injuries, there is simply no excuse for the shambolic display in Larnaca on Saturday night.

Cyprus are ranked 65th in the FIFA World rankings, one place below Burkina Faso, all but three of their squad play for Cypriot clubs, while only last month they were thrashed 4-1 by Switzerland. As it turned out the South Europeans dominated most of the game, created a hatful of clear-cut chances, and were quite frankly robbed by Lady Luck of what should have been a deserved win.

The severity of Italy’s suffering during the clash was really alarming, and it is now crystal clear that were the Azzurri to go to South Africa with the current bunch of players that Lippi is selecting in his squad, they would most certainly flop. Qualification shouldn’t be a problem as Group 8 is relatively poor, but maybe this shouldn’t be taken for granted, given the fact Cyprus are possibly the weakest in the pool.

So far, Lippi has blooded no youth, despite it being evidently clear at Euro 2008 that Italy needed freshening up. The coach has stressed that evolution is better than revolution, and I completely agree with this, while he has also noted that Giuseppe Rossi and Ricardo Montolivo would have been called for the Cyprus and Georgia games had they not been injured.

Despite this, some of Lippi’s squad and team selection choices have been mystifying. The worst of all was the decision to play the equally slow and lumbersome Luca Toni and Alberto Gilardino up-front together. It was inevitable this partnership was always going to end in failure.

In midfield, Italy are crying out for some attacking midfielders. Mauro Camoranesi, forever inconsistent at international level, is the only player seemingly capable of linking the midfield and attack. The Azzurri’s main problem at Euro 2008 was a lack of fluidity in this respect. I don’t see too many attacking midfielders coming through in Italy, but one player I would love to be given a chance is Torino’s Alessandro Rosina. Something about Lippi tells me that, just like Antonio Cassano, this maverick may not be handed an opportunity.

Italy’s defence is the biggest worry of all, as they were repeatedly opened up on Saturday. Marco Cassetti is 31, and will be 33 in South Africa, so where is the logic of selecting the Roma fullback, who is not of international quality, as was proved by the shocking mistake for Cyprus’ goal. Cassetti's presence is just preventing a younger player from obtaining valuable experience. Without this experience you get what happened at the Euros with Alberto Aquilani, a fine young player, who was totally overawed by the occasion because he had only a handful of caps to his name. As stated above, Italy's group is weak, so now is the time to prepare the youngsters mentally for South Africa. Throw them in at the deep end in a big tournament and the results are often disastrous.

Barzagli, like in the Austria friendly, symbolised everything that was wrong with the Italy backline in Larnaca, and he is now just a complete calamity every time he puts on the Italy shirt. Thankfully for all Italy fans, Giorgio Chiellini will be back from injury soon, but the lack of depth in the Italy defence is a worry. Personally, I would like to see Fabiano Santacroce given a chance. I have watched the Napoli stopper seven or eight times (three of them against Inter, Juve and Roma), and I have been blown away by his potential on every occasion. Surely the 22-year-old Santacroce would have been worth a shot against Cyprus and Georgia, especially as he was suspended for the Italy Under-21s, while the seniors were without Chiellini and Materazzi, with Fabio Cannavaro only just returning from a three-month layoff.

All in all, Saturday night proved that Lippi needs to immediately start revitalizing his Italy squad. The current batch of players would struggle if the World Cup in South Africa began tomorrow, let alone in two years time.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:42 am

I wonder what shape Lippi's Italy will take tonight? My guess:

Buffon
    Zambrotta - Cannavaro - Legrotaglie - Dossena
    Pirlo - De Rossi
    Camoranesi ------------------Di Natale
    Gila - Del Piero

Its tough to call. Palombo or Aquilani could be given midfield starts, and Iaquinta could start in the forward line... and it could be Toni instead of Gila.
    DS
    DS

Post by DS Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:10 am

1 thing I am missing is whenever I see a Italian squad or the future youth players is a lack of dribblers aka wingers.
    You have potential playmakers in Aquilani,Giovinco,Montolivo.
    Even forwards that are playmakers in Rossi ,Cassano.

Is it just me ?
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:42 am

DS wrote:1 thing I am missing is whenever I see a Italian squad or the future youth players is a lack of dribblers aka wingers.
    You have potential playmakers in Aquilani,Giovinco,Montolivo.
    Even forwards that are playmakers in Rossi ,Cassano.

Is it just me ?

Actually there are some really good wingers players (Rosina, Foggia, Quagliarella, etc) but they are just not given any chances... how long will the azzurri completely rely on just Camoranesi??

Like I said before, Lippi needs to integarte at least 5 new players into the squad for 2010, IMO these are:
    - Balotelli
    - Rosina
    - Rossi
    - Santacroce
    - Montolivo

Lets see how many of these boxes does Lippi tick. He has already mentioned that he plans to induct Montolivo and Rossi, so lets wait and watch...
    DS
    DS

Post by DS Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:36 pm

Isnt Rosina also a playmaker who can play on the wing rather then the other way round like Rosicky.
    Forgot Quag though , havent seen enough of Foggia.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:44 pm

DS wrote:Isnt Rosina also a playmaker who can play on the wing rather then the other way round like Rosicky.
    Forgot Quag though , havent seen enough of Foggia.
    While Foggia and Rosina can play as a playmaker for small teams, IMO they can only succeed as a winger for the bigger outfits and in the international stage. To be a playmaker for Italy, they would have to be as good as a Totti, and that they are not.

But both have been awesome as wingers for the Azzurini, and at Lazio this season, Foggia probably will be played on the wing. Lets see how it turns out. I rate Rosina > Foggia anyways, and I think he has been ready for Italy for a while now. I wish Inter had bought him instead of Mancini.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:40 pm