Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+48
Dejan Savićević
Tom
Cornicello
Six
Chocolate Thunder
Tarun
Murray
4-3-3
blutgraetsche
abundance
Khadrim
christmasborocooper
Sgoater1
TheCrazy58
Batman
Fantantonio
L r dd
COTR
Fade out
Pras_tama
Super Progress
Tweesus
BrianS
briz
TM
Pierre Littbarski
DeLux
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
Deano
DS
Black Magic
Red n' Black
EM Seleção e Selecção
Rosicky
Cesc Soler
Gigliati
fcb
3zycupid
Axeslammer
EMP
juvealè
BoBo Vieri 32
The Easter Bunny
Jaime
Ricardo Jol
bluenine
Calidad
Pirlo
52 posters

ITALIA - LA SQUADRA AZZURRA 2008-09

Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

ITALIA - LA SQUADRA AZZURRA 2008-09 - Page 14 Empty Re: ITALIA - LA SQUADRA AZZURRA 2008-09

Post by Pierre Littbarski Mon May 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Terrible squad though I wouldn't go as far as Fey - they are much stronger up front than Germany.

The midfield is uninspiring, the defenders are either past it or unknowns.

Would be much better with Balotelli, Cassano and/or Miccoli and Aquilani.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

ITALIA - LA SQUADRA AZZURRA 2008-09 - Page 14 Empty Re: ITALIA - LA SQUADRA AZZURRA 2008-09

Post by bluenine Mon May 03, 2010 1:30 pm

kas wrote:Thing is, I was doing a mock World Cup predictor the other day, and had Italy reaching the QFs with Germany reaching the SFs!

No matter how bad these two teams may look in terms of personnel, somehow they always come up with performances in the World Cup.

You can already see Italy following the same template: struggle against Paraguay in the first game, but scrape through the group stage with narrow, unimpressive wins against Slovakia and NZ. Then penalty or 0-0 their way deep into the competition.

Sorry Kas, if you are trying to suggest that Italy 2006 was a poor team in terms of personnel, I do not agree. Italy 2006 was an awesome squad, most of us azzurri fans thought Azzurri were among the favourites to win it all. This is probably the first time as an Azzurri fan I do not think Italy can win the world cup. Infact this is the first time I am expecting a humiliating exit.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Mon May 03, 2010 1:32 pm

That's true, both hardly ever look good on paper especially Germany but both tend to get far in cup's. Both teams wont beat you easily but you wont beat them easily either. Bit like Liverpool innit.

But sure Italy can get far again, on paper this WC is even worse then 2006 and since they won that one with not that much of a wonder squad either.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Mon May 03, 2010 1:55 pm

In 2006, Buffon, Cannavaro, Nesta, Zambrotta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Totti were all amongst the best in the world in their position and had very good seasons for their respective clubs. Even Lua Toni was scoring for fun, and players like Perrotta, Del Piero, Materazzi etc. were good squad players.

Now most of these players have regressed, and the new players aren't as good.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Mon May 03, 2010 1:56 pm

Pirlo wrote:I think i'll officially give up on the World Cup now, there's even talk he wants to nationalise some goalkeeper in England called Federci or something, never even heard of him!

He's very, very good.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Mon May 03, 2010 2:14 pm

bluenine wrote:
    kas wrote:Thing is, I was doing a mock World Cup predictor the other day, and had Italy reaching the QFs with Germany reaching the SFs!

No matter how bad these two teams may look in terms of personnel, somehow they always come up with performances in the World Cup.

You can already see Italy following the same template: struggle against Paraguay in the first game, but scrape through the group stage with narrow, unimpressive wins against Slovakia and NZ. Then penalty or 0-0 their way deep into the competition.

Sorry Kas, if you are trying to suggest that Italy 2006 was a poor team in terms of personnel, I do not agree. Italy 2006 was an awesome squad, most of us azzurri fans thought Azzurri were among the favourites to win it all. This is probably the first time as an Azzurri fan I do not think Italy can win the world cup. Infact this is the first time I am expecting a humiliating exit.

Eh, no! I was merely saying that for teams like Italy and Germany, the whole is always greater than the sum of its parts.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Mon May 03, 2010 2:19 pm

kas wrote:
    bluenine wrote:

Eh, no! I was merely saying that for teams like Italy and Germany, the whole is always greater than the sum of its parts.

Isn't that just a boring stereotype though?
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Mon May 03, 2010 2:51 pm

Not really, it's also a compliment.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Mon May 03, 2010 2:56 pm

It's nonsense though. Often when it comes to Germany or Italy, the team building aspect is completely overrated (especially as far as international football is concerned), while the individualists are underrated. A title winning team always has both, and that includes 'flashier' countries like Brazil or Argentina.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Mon May 03, 2010 2:57 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:It's nonsense though. Often when it comes to Germany or Italy, the team building aspect is completely overrated (especially as far as international football is concerned), while the individualists are underrated. A title winning team always has both, and that includes 'flashier' countries like Brazil or Argentina.

Ale
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Mon May 03, 2010 2:58 pm

kas wrote:Not really, it's also a compliment.

It's not a compliment to the players though.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Mon May 03, 2010 3:18 pm

True, but how am I supposed to compliment these players? Italy fans in this thread are themselves calling them shit. The most I can say is that the players may lack talent compared to ones not called up, but are much more capable of a good work ethic and raising their game, which is key for tournaments. The sharpest contrast in these attributes is exactly for the likes of Cassano and Balotelli, who bluenine wants to call up but I never would, because they could potentially hurt the team spirit.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Mon May 03, 2010 3:45 pm

kas wrote:True, but how am I supposed to compliment these players? Italy fans in this thread are themselves calling them shit. The most I can say is that the players may lack talent compared to ones not called up, but are much more capable of a good work ethic and raising their game, which is key for tournaments. The sharpest contrast in these attributes is exactly for the likes of Cassano and Balotelli, who bluenine wants to call up but I never would, because they could potentially hurt the team spirit.

It's an average squad, and no one really expects them to do well. In the past though, Italy has produced loads of talented players, same applies to Germany. The reason they have been so succesful is because they produce talented players.

Lippi will happily call a dickhead like Totti even though he played no part in qualifying and could potentially hurt the team spirit.

Clearly Lippi doesn't call the likes of Cassano and Balotelli because they bruised his ego in some way.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Mon May 03, 2010 3:49 pm

Or they're volatile characters who could get sent off in a match or decide they don't feel like it and just jog around not contributing to the team.

There's a reason Guti isn't even being proposed for the Spain squad except by a few highly biased and idiotic Madrid journalists.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Mon May 03, 2010 3:52 pm

kas wrote:Or they're volatile characters who could get sent off in a match or decide they don't feel like it and just jog around not contributing to the team.

Hence i brought up the Totti example.

Totti is guilty of the above in the past. Lippi still calls him even though he played no part in qualifying.

Even Di Natale had multiple suspensions this season for stupid things like constantly arguing with the refs. Again Lippi calls him.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Mon May 03, 2010 4:04 pm

I don't disagree with you re. Cassano...but what about Balotelli? I don't think Lippi has any history with him, does he? For him it's probably a combination of attitude issues and lack of experience.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Mon May 03, 2010 5:20 pm

Yes, Balotelli needs to crack the Inter lineup first.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Mon May 03, 2010 11:41 pm

Also Cassano hasn't been too crazy since he returned to Italy and Sampdoria. Except for that incident where he threw his shirt at the ref in his first season Very Happy he has been pretty good.
    abundance
    abundance

Number of posts : 1514
    Supports : FC Inter
    Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance Tue May 04, 2010 12:00 am

And also, Cassano went to Euro '04 and '08, and had no problems there despite being playing few minutes both times.

Whatever, only consolation is that we are so shit this time that no single ostracized player could make any difference Neutral
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Tue May 04, 2010 8:52 am

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:Yes, Balotelli needs to crack the Inter lineup first.

Not necessarily. IMO Italy needs Balotelli far more than Inter do... Maybe if Lippi had called Totti, Cassano, Iaquinta & Miccoli, you could leave Balotelli out. But in that current provisional squad, Balotelli could make the starting XI over everyone (except maybe Iaquinta).

For example, Inter can afford to drop a player like Cassano from its squad, but Sampdoria can afford that much less. Extreme example, I know, but just to illustrate the point.

Last edited by bluenine on Tue May 04, 2010 8:59 am; edited 2 times in total
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Tue May 04, 2010 8:56 am

kas wrote:True, but how am I supposed to compliment these players? Italy fans in this thread are themselves calling them shit. The most I can say is that the players may lack talent compared to ones not called up, but are much more capable of a good work ethic and raising their game, which is key for tournaments. The sharpest contrast in these attributes is exactly for the likes of Cassano and Balotelli, who bluenine wants to call up but I never would, because they could potentially hurt the team spirit.

So you think Sampdoria should leave Cassano out of their squad?

Its also a question of existing quality, mate.... Italy of 2006 or 2002 or 98 could afford to leave these players at home. This Italy cannot leave its 4 most creative strikers (Totti, Miccoli, Cassano, & Balotelli) at home just coz of attitude issues.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Tue May 04, 2010 9:07 am

scratch

Where's the connection between what I said and Sampdoria's team policies? A midtable (before this season) team will obviously be willing to take more risks with a talented but volatile striker who big clubs don't want. Now it could be argued that Italy are in a similar situation - being "midtable" in terms of player quality and forced to take a gamble on Cassano or Balotelli. But obviously Lippi doesn't agree, partly out of personal grudge and partly maybe for the reasons I pointed out.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Tue May 04, 2010 10:02 am

kas wrote:scratch

Where's the connection between what I said and Sampdoria's team policies? A midtable (before this season) team will obviously be willing to take more risks with a talented but volatile striker who big clubs don't want. Now it could be argued that Italy are in a similar situation - being "midtable" in terms of player quality and forced to take a gamble on Cassano or Balotelli. But obviously Lippi doesn't agree, partly out of personal grudge and partly maybe for the reasons I pointed out.

You did get what I was saying, just like pretending not to? Razz

Italy cannot afford to leave their top 4 attacking talents, just coz of "team morale" issues. Coz you need a few of them to stand any chance of winning the WC. Great team morale in an average team will not win the World Cup. Like Blut said, there has to be a mix, and if Lippi cannot control his temperamental talents, then he is a poor coach.

Anyways, I still expect Totti to get a late call up... but it would ve been good to see 1-2 of Cassano/Balotelli/Miccoli in the squad - even if as back ups!
    abundance
    abundance

Number of posts : 1514
    Supports : FC Inter
    Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance Tue May 04, 2010 2:43 pm

eheh, I see our Balotelli disagreement lives also on the NT side =)

Balotelli would be the easiest to slot in (no preexisting issues with Lippi, strong physically, and doesn't need the team built around him as Cassano, Totti and to a lesser extent Miccoli would need), but I frankly don't think that a player that has had such a troubled season like him should deserve a call.
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Tue May 04, 2010 3:44 pm

bluenine wrote:

Italy cannot afford to leave their top 4 attacking talents, just coz of "team morale" issues. Coz you need a few of them to stand any chance of winning the WC. Great team morale in an average team will not win the World Cup. Like Blut said, there has to be a mix, and if Lippi cannot control his temperamental talents, then he is a poor coach.

Anyways, I still expect Totti to get a late call up... but it would ve been good to see 1-2 of Cassano/Balotelli/Miccoli in the squad - even if as back ups!

In some way I agree with kas, in that short period of time of the world cup all the talent in the world won't help if the team morale is spoiled, ask the dutch. And Balotelli is hardly messi.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Tue May 04, 2010 3:49 pm

110% wrote:
    bluenine wrote:

In some way I agree with kas, in that short period of time of the world cup all the talent in the world won't help if the team morale is spoiled, ask the dutch. And Balotelli is hardly messi.

The alternative being that Italy take a talentless squad to the WC, and face humiliation like last summer confed cup.

Not saying that Lippi must take all of them (Totti, Cassano, Miccoli, Balotelli).... but at least 2-3 of them can make a world of difference in the quality of the Azzurri squad.... and you also forget that the team morale arguement only holds for Balotelli & Cassano (if that). Totti & Miccoli should be on that plane in ANY case.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Tue May 04, 2010 4:15 pm

Sometimes if you have 23 mediocre players they can produce more than 22 mediocre ones and 1 awesome player who thinks he's the shit.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Tue May 04, 2010 4:26 pm

kas wrote:Sometimes if you have 23 mediocre players they can produce more than 22 mediocre ones and 1 awesome player who thinks he's the shit.

Fair enough.

In this case though, Italy is really missing a creative striker, someone who can make things happen in the final third. For me, Quags and Di Natale don't cut it. One of Totti, Miccoli or Cassano is/was needed.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Tue May 04, 2010 7:55 pm

kas wrote:Sometimes if you have 23 mediocre players they can produce more than 22 mediocre ones and 1 awesome player who thinks he's the shit.
    This is certainly true and while I detest the current squad and Lippi I wouldn't rule any surprises out. Italy has the experience to grind out victories and anything can happen in World Cups when Italy is involved. Italy were arguably worse off in 2008 and yet they were the only side Spain couldn't beat in a match. The only thing im certain of is that it will not be pretty.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Tue May 04, 2010 8:00 pm

Should Lippi leave after the WC, who do you want to become his successor?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:14 pm