Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Super Progress
S4P
Glenarch of the Glen
110%
The-Frank-Tavern
Z
Parks lives
Romford Pele
fcb
13 posters

Gerrard: Liverpool must show more bollocks

fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Gerrard: Liverpool must show more bollocks Empty Gerrard: Liverpool must show more bollocks

Post by fcb Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:49 am

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4116144,00.html

Steven Gerrard says Liverpool must show more commitment to beat Manchester United...or words to that effect.

The midfielder will not be fit in time for the clash between the two sides on Saturday, after the groin operation that caused him to miss this week's England World Cup qualifiers

"That's a bit too soon," he said when asked about a comeback against United.

"I've a decent chance for the Champions League game in Marseille. I've spoken to the manager and told him I'd like to do a certain amount of training before I come back. I don't want to go into a big game only having had one session with the boys."

However, despite missing the game, Gerrard had some words of advice for his teammates.

"Against Chelsea in the cups, we've done them more than they've done us, but in the league we have to be a bit more attack-minded to win.

"Over the last couple of years we've gone into games against United and Chelsea very organised tactically - defensive if you like - and still lost 1-0.

"Have the same sound defence and show more bollocks going forward, and it could be 1-0 to us.

"In these matches the first goal is massive; if you concede it, nine times out of 10 you don't get back. It's important a few risks are taken to try to score that goal against these teams because it gives you such a psychological boost."

So Gerrard admits that Liverpool are defensive and always look to play safe rather than go for a win. I wonder whether Liverpool fans will now finally agree with the rest of us about how dull their football is most of the time.

Also interesting that he's more or less ruled himself out of the Man. Utd. game...mind games?
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Gerrard: Liverpool must show more bollocks Empty Re: Gerrard: Liverpool must show more bollocks

Post by Romford Pele Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:11 am

kas wrote:http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4116144,00.html

Steven Gerrard says Liverpool must show more commitment to beat Manchester United...or words to that effect.

The midfielder will not be fit in time for the clash between the two sides on Saturday, after the groin operation that caused him to miss this week's England World Cup qualifiers

"I've a decent chance for the Champions League game in Marseille. I've spoken to the manager and told him I'd like to do a certain amount of training before I come back. I don't want to go into a big game only having had one session with the boys."

However, despite missing the game, Gerrard had some words of advice for his teammates.

"Against Chelsea in the cups, we've done them more than they've done us, but in the league we have to be a bit more attack-minded to win.

"Over the last couple of years we've gone into games against United and Chelsea very organised tactically - defensive if you like - and still lost 1-0.

"Have the same sound defence and show more bollocks going forward, and it could be 1-0 to us.

"In these matches the first goal is massive; if you concede it, nine times out of 10 you don't get back. It's important a few risks are taken to try to score that goal against these teams because it gives you such a psychological boost."

So Gerrard admits that Liverpool are defensive and always look to play safe rather than go for a win. I wonder whether Liverpool fans will now finally agree with the rest of us about how dull their football is most of the time.

Also interesting that he's more or less ruled himself out of the Man. Utd. game...mind games?

Gerrad To Miss United Clash

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard has ruled himself out of Saturday's Premier League clash with Manchester United, live on Sky Sports 1 and HD1.

The talismanic midfielder is recovering from a double groin operation which ruled him out of England's World Cup qualifiers against Andorra and Croatia.

Having played through the pain barrier as Rafa Benitez's side scraped into the UEFA Champions League group stages with a hard-fought victory over Standard Liege, Gerrard is eager to be 100 per cent fit when he returns.

With star striker Fernando Torres also a major doubt for the Anfield encounter after suffering a hamstring injury against Aston Villa, Benitez could be without two of his key men.

Too soon
    Gerrard told the Liverpool Daily Post: "The United game is too soon.

"I've a decent chance for the Champions League game in Marseille (on 16th September) but I've spoken to the manager and told him I'd like to do a certain amount of training before I come back.

"I don't want to go into a big game only having had one session with the boys."

There has been criticism from some quarters over the timing of Gerrard's decision, given the impact on the England team, but he is adamant there was no other option as he was in such severe pain.

Painkillers
    He said: "The decision about surgery was taken after our game against Standard Liege. I had a meeting with the club doctor on the day of the game and said the discomfort was getting to the stage where I couldn't continue.

"I'd had to double, then treble, my dose of painkillers to train and play, and I was having to take them during games. You get to the stage where you can't grind it out any longer. I told the doctor, 'I can't find my level, I can't get to 100 per cent because I'm missing training sessions and I don't feel right in games. I don't feel I can go to the max'.

"I couldn't sprint flat out, couldn't pass more than 30 yards and couldn't shoot properly and, as much as you want to be out there for every game, it is important to be right.

"There are times when you have got to forget about England and Liverpool and get yourself right. I had a good rest in the summer and felt great when I came back. Then, as soon as I went into training, the groin started niggling.

"One day it would be the right, then the left, and over a month's pre-season, it started to be a real worry.

"I strained both sides, which is a separate injury from the main groin problem I've got. The strains came about because I was training and playing differently to reduce the pain further up the pelvic bone."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't think so.
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Gerrard: Liverpool must show more bollocks Empty Re: Gerrard: Liverpool must show more bollocks

Post by Parks lives Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:29 am

Gerrard not playing means they may actually have a chance.
    Z
    Z

Number of posts : 1414
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Fowler, Batistuta, Ronaldo, Totti, Torres
    Registration date : 2007-05-13

Post by Z Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:38 am

kas wrote:http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4116144,00.html

When will you stop telling us how boring it is? No time soon.

We haven't played good football since Roy Evans, but look where that got us.
    The-Frank-Tavern
    The-Frank-Tavern

Number of posts : 8505
    Supports : Atlético de Madrid
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by The-Frank-Tavern Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:58 am

kas wrote:I wonder whether Liverpool fans will now finally agree with the rest of us about how dull their football is most of the time.
    i doubt it scored so many golas last season (normally against complete dross)
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:29 pm

Actually he is talking about specific matches against bigger teams, and all of them are defensive/tactical against each other. Manu were particularly defensive for example when oshea and rio scored in the last minute of games in the last few seasons. Liverpool were much better than manu those games, but their problem was that they would happy for a draw, when they should be going for a win, and a single goal from a set-piece bolton-style resulted in them losing.
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:30 pm

Parks lives wrote:Gerrard not playing means they may actually have a chance.

And with torres out they're virtually guaranteed are they? Doh
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:32 pm

There was only one game where we were outplayed - the game at Anfield in the 06/07 season. Both teams last season were pretty equal, in 05/06 both teams were equally shite.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:39 pm

110% wrote:Actually he is talking about specific matches against bigger teams, and all of them are defensive/tactical against each other. Manu were particularly defensive for example when oshea and rio scored in the last minute of games in the last few seasons. Liverpool were much better than manu those games, but their problem was that they would happy for a draw, when they should be going for a win, and a single goal from a set-piece bolton-style resulted in them losing.

Yes, I noticed he talked only about big matches, but come on...we all know that Benitez sets his team out first and foremost to counter the opposition tactically, then worry about their own strengths, be it Sunderland or Chelsea they're playing. You'll never see a Liverpool side going all out from the start to bludgeon the opposition via carefree attacking football.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:50 pm

IMO Scholes must show less bollocks ok

Gerrard: Liverpool must show more bollocks PaulScholes
    Z
    Z

Post by Z Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:14 pm

Gerrard: Liverpool must show more bollocks Bullocks_470_470x352
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:26 pm

Well he shows plenty of buttocks

Gerrard: Liverpool must show more bollocks Steven_gerrard_ass

Inspirational Ale
    Z
    Z

Post by Z Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:27 pm

Look at the headline in the top left!
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:34 pm

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4117170,00.html

So if Barry had come in, he would take the place of Irwin or the other guy, and Hyppia would be in, instead of Alonso.
    110%

Post by 110% Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:41 pm

kas wrote:
    110% wrote:Actually he is talking about specific matches against bigger teams, and all of them are defensive/tactical against each other. Manu were particularly defensive for example when oshea and rio scored in the last minute of games in the last few seasons. Liverpool were much better than manu those games, but their problem was that they would happy for a draw, when they should be going for a win, and a single goal from a set-piece bolton-style resulted in them losing.

Yes, I noticed he talked only about big matches, but come on...we all know that Benitez sets his team out first and foremost to counter the opposition tactically, then worry about their own strengths, be it Sunderland or Chelsea they're playing. You'll never see a Liverpool side going all out from the start to bludgeon the opposition via carefree attacking football.

That's benitez's style to think aboput the opposition, but he works witrh substandard players in certain positions so he needs to compensate for that against all teams.

Just because you are a barca fan don't be fooled into assuming that your team just has 5-a-side kickabouts then goes out on the day and plays carefree flowing football. They do all kinds of tactics to prepare for the opposition, and even the carefree flowing football is planned ahead in training sessions Wink
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:45 pm

110% wrote:
    kas wrote:

That's benitez's style to think aboput the opposition, but he works witrh substandard players in certain positions so he needs to compensate for that against all teams.

Just because you are a barca fan don't be fooled into assuming that your team just has 5-a-side kickabouts then goes out on the day and plays carefree flowing football. They do all kinds of tactics to prepare for the opposition, and even the carefree flowing football is planned ahead in training sessions Wink

They did that all through last season (except Ronaldinho who was in the gym and Deco who was either filing for divorce or opening a restaurant), but ignored the going out and playing good flowing football bit Sad
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:51 pm

kas wrote:

that's why Liverpool have been in the Champions League every season since Benitez took over, and why Spurs and Newcastle haven't.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:26 pm

110% wrote:
    kas wrote:

lol!
    Barca the last two seasons have been a joke on the training field. i remember that some guy from Udinese or Juve was visting Barcelona and when he saw how they trained he was amazed and i think said that they play harder training in the juniors.
    it was the same with the galacticos towards the end. but i agree with you that you cant simply let players play around.
    i remember when we had Luxemburgo and the football was bad and then Lopez caro came in and he immediately wanted the star players to actually play some combo moves and such and it worked.
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson

Post by The Easter Bunny Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:10 am

S4P - Allez Roger wrote:Well he shows plenty of buttocks

Gerrard: Liverpool must show more bollocks Steven_gerrard_ass

Inspirational Ale

Chelsea also wanted to sign Dominating Dirk Ale
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
    Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann

Post by Allez les rouges Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:58 am

Did people see his interview in the Sunday Times at the weekend?

Steven Gerrard: Paying the price for his versatility

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article4691512.ece

What a self-obsessed dick.
    Z
    Z

Post by Z Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:11 am

Allez les rouges wrote:Did people see his interview in the Sunday Times at the weekend?

Steven Gerrard: Paying the price for his versatility

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article4691512.ece

What a self-obsessed dick.

They were asking him questions about it? What do you want him to say - "lets not talk about me so much, how was your day?"

He is a dick though, anyway.
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:55 am

Don't think he needed much encouragement!

Given that he was so delighted to be featured in a fantasy mock-up of a potential Man City team, playing in midfield with I think Kaká, Messi and Ronaldo, I hope he realizes he'd be playing defensive midfield in that set-up...
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:45 pm

I don't think Gerrard is a dick at all.

There was a really good interview with Jermaine Jenas in the Observer a couple of weeks ago, and he was saying how Steven Gerrard is extremely approachable at England set ups, whereas in the past the seniors have at times never given much time to the younger newer lads in the squad. Apparently he is also like this at Liverpool with their young players, taking time to chat to them and offer advice.

Apparently, he is also extremely pleasant to autograph hunters too- when Liverpool played Standard Liege,he spent 2 hours after the game signing autographs for the Belgian fans and jollying about with them.

I read all this in a reputable broadsheet paper, which quoted the Standard Liege website where Steven gerrard was actually singled out for praise due to his behaviour.

Yes he likes to be Superman on the pitch, but I also dont begrudge him for wanting to play in the position he feels is his best. Who wouldn't?

Whilst there are a lot of unlikeable footballers around at the moment, I wouldnt class Gerrard as one of them. He's certainly not as unlikeable as Carragher Ale
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:55 pm

I'm not really thinking of his "general" character here if that makes sense, I never really had a problem with him in the way I do Terry or Rooney. It's more the utter focus on himself in a footballing sense, the refusal to understand that there are good reasons why good managers would be chary of playing him in central midfield, because his style of play/(lack of) tactical intelligence and Hollywood approach are less appropriate than those of other players who can retain possession and control the pace of a game.

A couple of decent comments following the article:

"A good example of what's wrong with English football. A player who the English Press make out to be world class, but who is merely only good. Gerrard is effective if allowed to roam forward, but not intelligent enough, or technically gifted, to control a game from midfield."

"Gerrard says he can't play wide and become Kaka or Robinho and thats true, but its also true that he can't play in the middle and become Pirlo or Xavi, he's not as good a passer. How many top teams play with this "box to box" type attacking midfielder these days anyway?"

"It is a shame that Gerrard seems to lack self-awareness. He had the technical skills to be a very good midfielder, but doesn't seem to realise that tearing about the pitch at 100mph, is detrimental to the team.

Were he to gain just a modicum of discipline, he might just be trusted in the centre."

"His inability to play Centre Midfield and the mollycoddling he got under Evans/Chancy Gardner is whats holding him back.
    Flaws in his game were never fixed, mostly not his fault, he was a kid, they were the coaches ."

"A "world class" jack-of-all-trades who "at the end of the day" is master of none. From the middle his pass is often too strong and his decision making unreliable. Behind the striker his touch is slow. On the flanks he loses patience & fades from a game. But he has a fab shot, so, pity about the ego."

Is he aware of these reservations, and if so is he going to prove them wrong? Because he has to if he wants to show he should be trusted at international level in the centre, where he has yet again been whingeing about not being allowed to play.

(Obviously the whole Gerrard-Lampard era didn't count, as Stevie was tidying up for Frank then was he? scratch)
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:57 pm

By the way, what have things come to that it is a matter for high praise that an apparently "junior" player (Jenas is 25, Gerrard 28) can do so much as approach his fellow England teammate?! What the f@ck are the others like?!?
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:05 pm

Allez les rouges wrote:By the way, what have things come to that it is a matter for high praise that an apparently "junior" player (Jenas is 25, Gerrard 28) can do so much as approach his fellow England teammate?! What the f@ck are the others like?!?

He was referring to when he first broke into the England set up many moons ago Ale
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:14 pm

Allez les rouges wrote:I'm not really thinking of his "general" character here if that makes sense, I never really had a problem with him in the way I do Terry or Rooney. It's more the utter focus on himself in a footballing sense, the refusal to understand that there are good reasons why good managers would be chary of playing him in central midfield, because his style of play/(lack of) tactical intelligence and Hollywood approach are less appropriate than those of other players who can retain possession and control the pace of a game.

A couple of decent comments following the article:

"A good example of what's wrong with English football. A player who the English Press make out to be world class, but who is merely only good. Gerrard is effective if allowed to roam forward, but not intelligent enough, or technically gifted, to control a game from midfield."

"Gerrard says he can't play wide and become Kaka or Robinho and thats true, but its also true that he can't play in the middle and become Pirlo or Xavi, he's not as good a passer. How many top teams play with this "box to box" type attacking midfielder these days anyway?"

"It is a shame that Gerrard seems to lack self-awareness. He had the technical skills to be a very good midfielder, but doesn't seem to realise that tearing about the pitch at 100mph, is detrimental to the team.

Were he to gain just a modicum of discipline, he might just be trusted in the centre."

"His inability to play Centre Midfield and the mollycoddling he got under Evans/Chancy Gardner is whats holding him back.
    Flaws in his game were never fixed, mostly not his fault, he was a kid, they were the coaches ."

"A "world class" jack-of-all-trades who "at the end of the day" is master of none. From the middle his pass is often too strong and his decision making unreliable. Behind the striker his touch is slow. On the flanks he loses patience & fades from a game. But he has a fab shot, so, pity about the ego."

Is he aware of these reservations, and if so is he going to prove them wrong? Because he has to if he wants to show he should be trusted at international level in the centre, where he has yet again been whingeing about not being allowed to play.

(Obviously the whole Gerrard-Lampard era didn't count, as Stevie was tidying up for Frank then was he? scratch)

Yeah I'd agree with that (but only up to a point- after all, he's won an awful lot of finals/medals for one with so many flaws :-) ),

however it doesn't help that so many managers come out, both here and abroad, saying that Gerrard's best position is in the centre. That can only fuel his belief.

Gerrard is an enigma - he clearly needs to have the right players to support his erratic talents. Its no surprise he's been successful in many finals where he's had the correct support players, for example Didi Hamman's introduction in the 2nd half againt Milan.

He's a match winner - and there aren't many of those kind of players around, so of course there's always a sacrifice involved.

Clearly he knows he's a match winner, and why not- he's proven it enough times.

Perhaps he's only demanding what he feels he deserves.

And at that point it comes down solely to opinion as to whether he is arrogant or vindicated.

For country, he has much less of a case than for club, that much is certain
    110%

Post by 110% Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:19 pm

Seems more like Allez is obsessed with his dick Wink

Basically he agreed with all the comments people made after the article saying Gerrard isn't all that good, and I guess he doesn't consider Ballack a box-to-box midfielder either. BTW Ballack is no pirlo, xavi, kaka, messi or gerrard Wink
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:20 pm

Whistle Doh Laugh
    110%

Post by 110% Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:32 pm

recognising your problem is the first step ok

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:45 pm