Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+25
Khadrim
TM
Deluded F*ck™
110%
Parks lives
DS
COTR
Chocolate Thunder
Roger Hunt
S4P
Tweesus
christmasborocooper
shazlx
Pierre Littbarski
Fade out
Rosicky
Football Genius
Ricardo Jol
bluenine
Kimbo
EMP
Z
Brian2468
Glenarch of the Glen
fcb
29 posters

Lampard vs. Gerrard analysed

bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Lampard vs. Gerrard analysed - Page 4 Empty Re: Lampard vs. Gerrard analysed

Post by bluenine Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:11 pm

DS wrote:If Gerrard had a left foot he would be an option on LW but he doesnt really have one so he is very predictable in coming inside , neither is he going to beat his man through his dribbling trickery, RW yeah he can play there , he can outpace his opponent ,go outside come in.

Yeah. I think Walcot will become a supersub once J Cole is back... gerrard could take the RW role. At least, that is one option I can see Capello using. Rooney as a support striker with Lampard behind him works - their undertanding is reaching a whole new level.
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by COTR Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:28 pm

Parks lives wrote:I took away the assist after considering the goal he cost us when he decided to miss an open goal when a more measured approach could of seen him scored or a more unselfish approach could of seen him set up a team mate. ok

Spanker I hate to tell you simple things again but NO footballer in the world would have passed in that position

The only thing he did wrong was miss the chance
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:44 pm

Paul Ince to Brian McClair, 94 FA cup final against Chelsea. ok
    Khadrim
    Khadrim

Number of posts : 1719
    Supports : Fulham soft spot for Liverpool, Newcastle, Wolfsburg, Rubin Kazan
    Favourite Player : Paintsil, Barry, Iniesta, Ozil
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by Khadrim Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:08 pm

One point to make. As annoyed I am that Bridge gets called (think Warnock and Shorey desaerve a go) he played better than Cole did on sat. The third goal came from him carrying the ball to deep into the opposition half. He provided good width for most of the game.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:37 pm

COTR wrote:
    Glenn Hysén wrote:are we? I thought the argument was that they can't play together in central midfield in a 4-4-2

Heskey and Rooney looks like a thumbs up, Walcott and Barry have played their way into the team which means it's a straight fight between Cole, Gerrard and Lampard for the final 2 places.

I don't think Walcott has played his way into the team at all. In fact Capello should really be thinking about putting gerrard in his place when Joe cole comes back

Barry's place is also far from safe as he hasn't played well for a while now. A fit hargreaves would do a better job than him but I guess that is like saying a fit Harry Kewell would have been a superstar

Wherever Gerrard was played yesterday it seemed to work because he was able to link up with rooney close to the belarus box which is really where he struts his stuff

NO NO NO NO NO!

NO!
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:42 pm

COTR wrote:
    Parks lives wrote:I took away the assist after considering the goal he cost us when he decided to miss an open goal when a more measured approach could of seen him scored or a more unselfish approach could of seen him set up a team mate. ok

Spanker I hate to tell you simple things again but NO footballer in the world would have passed in that position

The only thing he did wrong was miss the chance

Jan Vennegoor have Hesselink?
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:00 pm

Jimmy Floyd of Hasselbaink?
    shazlx
    shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
    Supports : Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
    Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:06 pm

Parks lives wrote:I think Bluenine just wants to prove that the Great Capello can even get Gerrard and Lampard playing well together. Rolling Eyes

Our midfield was abysmal for most of the game last night, Belarus, yes Belarus were running rings round us for most of the first half.
    Good to see someone else not buying all the hype.

It was a truly awful performance from the England team and it was only Rooney's amazingness that made it looked what it wasn't. Lampard was particularly horrible in that he would positively demand the ball in good CM positions only to pass back to one of the defenders or hoof the ball away. It was just unmatchable.

All the people that are saying its OK because England won can f@ck off. Its what they said last time round. The team would apparently play well in the WC without having ever played well previous to it.

And its not Just playing good attacking football. Its Capello, I know that ain't gonna happen, but I expect a controlled solid game. Something that will never happen with those two fake CMs playing. Belarus were running around the ball playing easy football. If they had good defenders and a good striker they would have easily won.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:16 pm

Them playing well while Gerrard is on the left is meaningless, because he won't stay there. Would you pick him there ahead of Cole or Young? No. And even if he did stay there he would only whinge about it.
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:54 pm

shazlx wrote:
    Parks lives wrote:I think Bluenine just wants to prove that the Great Capello can even get Gerrard and Lampard playing well together. Rolling Eyes

Our midfield was abysmal for most of the game last night, Belarus, yes Belarus were running rings round us for most of the first half.

It was a truly awful performance from the England team and it was only Rooney's amazingness that made it looked what it wasn't. Lampard was particularly horrible in that he would positively demand the ball in good CM positions only to pass back to one of the defenders or hoof the ball away. It was just unmatchable.

All the people that are saying its OK because England won can f@ck off. Its what they said last time round. The team would apparently play well in the WC without having ever played well previous to it.

And its not Just playing good attacking football. Its Capello, I know that ain't gonna happen, but I expect a controlled solid game. Something that will never happen with those two fake CMs playing. Belarus were running around the ball playing easy football. If they had good defenders and a good striker they would have easily won.

You are ridiculously OTT in your negativity Shaz unless you are prepared to accept that there are no teams anywhere in world football who meet your standards

No international teams go to places like croatia and belarus and perform any better than england did

I'm not saying they are the best team in the world, rather they have returned to the level they were at from the sven days ie top 8 in the world and can beat any team on any given day but will fall agonisingly short when the next major tournament comes around
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:14 pm

I can't remember a qualification campaign where we have qualified with games to spare. Whatever you think of our 'performances' it's hard to deny that this time it looks likely that we will. That'll do for me.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:27 pm

COTR wrote:
    shazlx wrote:

You are ridiculously OTT in your negativity Shaz unless you are prepared to accept that there are no teams anywhere in world football who meet your standards

No international teams go to places like croatia and belarus and perform any better than england did

I'm not saying they are the best team in the world, rather they have returned to the level they were at from the sven days ie top 8 in the world and can beat any team on any given day but will fall agonisingly short when the next major tournament comes around
    ok Good to see some level headed comments here!
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:12 pm

So...

Was Belarus's goal better than Argentina's at the world cup?

Same number of passes I think and more of Belarus's were close to the box
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:52 am

Tweedle wrote:So...

Was Belarus's goal better than Argentina's at the world cup?

Same number of passes I think and more of Belarus's were close to the box

I think the Argie one was better coz of more one-touch passing, but the belarus one was a beauty too ok
    Brian2468

Number of posts : 4875

Post by Brian2468 Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:41 am

I'll see the game tomorrow. Like the Kazakhstan match I also saw later it is great to read what people say on here before watching the game. If the home side's goal was that good and it brought them back in the game then England as a side had to of done something right even in midfield to come back and win. If you think Gerrard and Lampard are expected to both play the same way like at their clubs you must have a screw loose. But if they can produce for others and also pressure and score once in a while in a winning game then the job is done.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:02 am

Brian2468 wrote:I'll see the game tomorrow. Like the Kazakhstan match I also saw later it is great to read what people say on here before watching the game. If the home side's goal was that good and it brought them back in the game then England as a side had to of done something right even in midfield to come back and win. If you think Gerrard and Lampard are expected to both play the same way like at their clubs you must have a screw loose. But if they can produce for others and also pressure and score once in a while in a winning game then the job is done.

ok

I suspected it for a while that parky has a screw loose Razz
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One

Post by Parks lives Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:05 am

We often get outpassed by teams like Belarus, even Kazackstan were comfortable for long periods of the first half last week, AT HOME. Yes we went on to win the games but mainly as these teams are full of part timers who get knackered after 1 half of football. Yes we did well against Croatia who are much better outfit but even then it was 1-1 before they got a man sent off.

Our last 3 games have pretty much been thanks to Rooney and Heskey imo. The fact we are even conceding against these teams is bad representation of the midfield and defence. Soon as we come up against a really good side with that midfield I think we'd struggle to get any control in the game and we'd be far too reliant on the front 2 to get us out of jail.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:24 am

Kazakstan were part timers and the result, although good on paper, really wasn't what we were all expected.

Personally I thought we did very well against Belarus though. As Bluey identified - this isn't the equivalent of Man Utd playing Dinamo Minsk, or even Dinamo Kiev. This is the selection of the best 11 players in their country from their own league as well as many others. And there were some very good players in that squad. Their goal was of the highest calibre and if Argentina had scored it in a world cup it would surely have been placed amongst the best ten goals of all time.

We were never great ball retainers but we're far better under Capello than we have been for a long time.

I'm sure we've all got in our head the midfield that we'd like to see play (I'm guessing we're all pretty much agreed on the back four and strikers now) but I trust Capello's decisions. He's been there and done it, and if he truly thinks that Gerrard and Lampard can play in the same team, with Gerrard on the left, then I'm willing for him to give it a go - as long as we still keep getting the results.

FYI, Tweedle's dream midfield would be something like this:

SWP----Barry---Hargreaves----Young = lots of pace faclitated by two ball winning DMs ok
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:32 am

Tweedle wrote:

SWP----Barry---Hargreaves----Young = lots of pace faclitated by two ball winning DMs ok

No leader (in football terms) in that midfield, someone who can, to use a horrible cliche, take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Not enough big game experience...only Hargreaves plays in the CL.

No goal threat or creativity from central midfield, meaning opposition teams can shut down a lot of the threat by simply focusing on Young and SWP, because they know it'll always go wide to these two. To try and overcome that and create something through the middle, Rooney will have to drop deep and that then reduces his effectiveness by taking him further away from goal and Heskey.

One of Lampard and Gerrard must play in any flat 4 midfield for the England team.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:42 am

kas wrote:
    Tweedle wrote:

No leader (in football terms) in that midfield, someone who can, to use a horrible cliche, take the game by the scruff of the neck.

No goal threat or creativity from central midfield, meaning opposition teams can shut down a lot of the threat by simply focusing on Young and SWP, because they know it'll always go wide to these two. To try and overcome that and create something through the middle, Rooney will have to drop deep and that then reduces his effectiveness by taking him further away from goal and Heskey.

One of Lampard and Gerrard must play in any flat 4 midfield for the England team.

Barry and HArgreaves aren't the equivalent of Lee Carsley Kas. Barry got over ten goals last season I think. IF you like you can throw Joe Cole or David Bentley in there Wink
    110%

Number of posts : 8978
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by 110% Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:55 am

Tweedle wrote:
    kas wrote:
    Tweedle wrote:

Barry and HArgreaves aren't the equivalent of Lee Carsley Kas. Barry got over ten goals last season I think. IF you like you can throw Joe Cole or David Bentley in there Wink

were not most of barry's goals penaltys by any chance?

I like barry but he was the worst midfielder in the last couple of games, and hargreaves has been injured a lot and cannot even get into the manu team.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:59 am

110% wrote:
    were not most of barry's goals penaltys by any chance?

SHHH!!!!

I like barry but he was the worst midfielder in the last couple of games, and hargreaves has been injured a lot and cannot even get into the manu team.

Are you saying that neither should play? If that were the case we'd be back to the wonderous Lampard-Gerrard axis king
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:00 am

Tweedle wrote:
    kas wrote:
    Tweedle wrote:

But is Barry going to play the final through ball for Rooney to latch onto and score?

Is he going to make runs into the box and/or play 1-2s with Heskey to finish past the keeper?

I'd also say...is he going to dribble past a man to try and make space for a shot or pass to a striker, which I feel is a key requirement of any attacking midfielder, but Lampard/Gerrard themselves can't do that very well so it doesn't matter in Barry/Hargreaves case.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:06 am

This is MY formation Kas. As I've said - there's little or no chance of it being played so we just won't know.

Instead we should be discussing the permutations that capello has chosen to play.

Croatia - no Gerrard. Wn 4-1
    Kazakstan - 3 prongued with Gerrard and Lampard advanced. Wn 5-1
    Belarus - Gerrard on left.

I think we can all agree that the KAzakstan tactic was a mistake. The issue is:

- With Gerrard should be dropped.
    - Whether Gerrard should play on the left at the expense of Cole.
    - Whether Gerrard should play on the right at the expense of Walcott/SWP
    - Whether Capello might (god forbid) play them as a central midfield pairing.
    - OR maybe Gerrard could play in a 4-3-3 alongside Rooney and off HEskey
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:18 pm

Shall we also get this year a debate between the best English midfielder and Gerrard?
    Six
    Six

Number of posts : 4390
    Supports : Liverpool
    Registration date : 2009-01-14

Post by Six Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:25 pm

No point. Gerrard is no longer a midfielder. Keep up Ricardo.
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Post by Ricardo Jol Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:27 pm

Six wrote:No point. Gerrard is no longer a midfielder. Keep up Ricardo.

Did I say somewhere he is, if he's not? scratch
    Six
    Six

Number of posts : 4390
    Supports : Liverpool
    Registration date : 2009-01-14

Post by Six Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:29 pm

So you like comparing players who don't play in the same position?

Is Lampard better than Casillas?
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Post by Ricardo Jol Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:37 pm

Six wrote:So you like comparing players who don't play in the same position?

You guys love to debate about it, don't shoot the messenger mate... Wink
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:47 pm

Ricardo Wetzel wrote:
    Six wrote:So you like comparing players who don't play in the same position?

You guys love to debate about it, don't shoot the messenger mate... Wink
    Seems you love it more, bumping a 9-month dormant thread!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:36 pm