Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Puro
Fey
COTR
abundance
Jaime
Super Progress
Luis
Fade out
Isco Benny
fcb
Xavier
Kroos
bluenine
17 posters

CL Draw : Quarter Finals

BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

CL Draw : Quarter Finals - Page 2 Empty Re: CL Draw : Quarter Finals

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:57 am

"Barca are on another planet".... Didn't we hear the same thing last season? In fact, we've been hearing it since 2005, yet they havn't won it every year since then and in the years they did win it, it wasn't exactly plain sailing either. Sure they are the favourites, but they are beatable in one off KO ties, and we've seen in the past that they tend to find it quite difficult against defensively sound teams.
    Fade out
    Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
    Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:22 am

I fully concur with Bobo. Certainly beatable. They could easily lose 3-1 away from home..
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:23 am

What time is the draw today?
    Fade out
    Fade out

Post by Fade out Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:27 am

11AM BST.
    Fade out
    Fade out

Post by Fade out Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:28 am

So it starts in about half hour..
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:18 am

Madrid-Spurs!

Chelsea-Man Utd

Barça-Shakhtar

Inter-Schalke...lucky Inter

Semifinals:

Madrid/Spurs vs. Barça/Shakhtar Crazy
    Inter/Schalke vs. Chelsea/Man. Utd.

Inter aren't that good this year, so the winner of the Chelsea-Man. Utd. tie will probably reach the final. Will almost certainly be a Spain-England final.

Last edited by fcb on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
    Kroos
    Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
    Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
    Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Kroos Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:19 am

inter/schalke - manu /chelsea
    real/spurs-------barca/shaktor

my final is barca - against an english side

its the 2nd best draw schalke could get, i see no chance now magath is gone, rangnick is a born looser Wink
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:27 am

Awful draw but the Madrid game will be decent. The semis should be great though, hope Chelsea can get through.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Super Progress Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:33 am

The Real Madrid vs Spurs game will be probably be spicy but other then that the other games don't look that entertaining. If Shakthar proves to be capable on this stage their counter attacking could lead to an exciting game.

Chelsea vs Man Utd will be intense but that is about it. A shame that we have two from the same country meeting each other in the quarters already.

Inter vs Schalke cheers
    Another win for Italy over Germany. I hope Inter go for it and get wins in both games so they can extract the maximum amount of points from Germany.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:31 pm

Super Laudrup wrote:The Real Madrid vs Spurs game will be probably be spicy but other then that the other games don't look that entertaining. If Shakthar proves to be capable on this stage their counter attacking could lead to an exciting game.

Chelsea vs Man Utd will be intense but that is about it. A shame that we have two from the same country meeting each other in the quarters already.

Inter vs Schalke cheers
    Another win for Italy over Germany. I hope Inter go for it and get wins in both games so they can extract the maximum amount of points from Germany.

Spurs - Real is the highlight of the draw, which shows you what a crap draw it's been. Spurs will probably play the same shit on a stick EPL football that they played against Milan though, so can't see it being a great game.

Barca and Inter games are the type of shit you see in the group stages. Not that interesting.

Other game is 2 teams from the same league which isn't as fun.

abundance
    abundance

Number of posts : 1514
    Supports : FC Inter
    Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:03 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
    Spurs - Real is the highlight of the draw, which shows you what a crap draw it's been. Spurs will probably play the same shit on a stick EPL football that they played against Milan though, so can't see it being a great game.

Barca and Inter games are the type of shit you see in the group stages. Not that interesting.

yeah. possibly the lamest draw from a neutral perspective.

can't say I'm upset as an inter fan anyway Surprised
    abundance
    abundance

Post by abundance Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:08 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:"Barca are on another planet".... Didn't we hear the same thing last season? In fact, we've been hearing it since 2005, yet they havn't won it every year since then and in the years they did win it, it wasn't exactly plain sailing either. Sure they are the favourites, but they are beatable in one off KO ties, and we've seen in the past that they tend to find it quite difficult against defensively sound teams.
    well, they do are on another planet.
    don't see any contradiction with the fact that this is football, the ball is round, no team is perfect, and every team can be beaten.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:40 pm

abundance wrote:don't see any contradiction with the fact that this is football, the ball is round, no team is perfect, and every team can be beaten.
    Abundance just edged Libor Kozak on the most number of cliches you can fit into a sentence...
    “It would be a fairytale debut, the icing on the cake of a dream come true.” - Libor Kozak

Razz
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:46 pm

fcb wrote:Madrid-Spurs!

Chelsea-Man Utd

Barça-Shakhtar

Inter-Schalke...lucky Inter

Semifinals:

Madrid/Spurs vs. Barça/Shakhtar CL Draw : Quarter Finals - Page 2 Aah
    Inter/Schalke vs. Chelsea/Man. Utd.

Inter aren't that good this year, so the winner of the Chelsea-Man. Utd. tie will probably reach the final. Will almost certainly be a Spain-England final.
    Well, you need luck to win a CL, no matter how good you are... we weren't good enough for Bayern either, so I would say anything is possible. If we beat Schalke, then we could take out ManU/Chelsea over 2 legs - by that time, Milito and Samuel will be back. Personally, I would prefer ManU over Chelsea, but I am getting ahead of myself....

First, lets start recovering some coefficients from ze Germans. I think young Ozil/Kroos will really hate us forever now....
    Luis
    Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:58 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:"Barca are on another planet".... Didn't we hear the same thing last season? In fact, we've been hearing it since 2005, yet they havn't won it every year since then and in the years they did win it, it wasn't exactly plain sailing either. Sure they are the favourites, but they are beatable in one off KO ties, and we've seen in the past that they tend to find it quite difficult against defensively sound teams.

Barca were brilliant last season but this season they've excelled to another level IMO. Villa is a much better player for them than Ibra was for a start.

Sure they can be beaten but I can't see anyone but Madrid doing that over two legs and even then they got raped 5-1 this season so maybe not.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:41 pm

Luis wrote:

Barca were brilliant last season but this season they've excelled to another level IMO. Villa is a much better player for them than Ibra was for a start.

Sure they can be beaten but I can't see anyone but Madrid doing that over two legs and even then they got raped 5-1 this season so maybe not.

Villa is better than Ibra, but he'll still find it hard against a team that defends deep and narrow.

Inter also looked way out of their depth against Barca in the group stage last season, but they got it together when it mattered. I think Real could pull it off with Mourinho. Chelsea could aswell, and with Ferdinand injured, Man Utd would have a decent chance too.
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:47 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
    Luis wrote:

Villa is better than Ibra, but he'll still find it hard against a team that defends deep and narrow.

Inter also looked way out of their depth against Barca in the group stage last season, but they got it together when it mattered. I think Real could pull it off with Mourinho. Chelsea could aswell, and with Ferdinand injured, Man Utd would have a decent chance too.

I don't see how United or Chelsea's midfield could possibly stand a chance against Barcas.

Xavi
    Iniesta
    Busquets/Mascherano

Carrick
    Scholes
    Fletcher/Anderson

Essien
    Lampard
    Ramires

-----------

It's a complete mismatch.

United would have to have all their defenders back fit and Rooney on the very top of his game.

Chelsea still have a massive problem up front IMO; Torres has looked pretty awful so far. Anelka is incosistent and Drogba has lost a lot of ability.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Luis wrote:
    BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
    Luis wrote:

I don't see how United or Chelsea's midfield could possibly stand a chance against Barcas.

Xavi
    Iniesta
    Busquets/Mascherano

Carrick
    Scholes
    Fletcher/Anderson

Essien
    Lampard
    Ramires

-----------

United would have to have all their defenders back fit and Rooney on the very top of his game.

Chelsea still have a massive problem up front IMO; Torres has looked pretty awful so far. Anelka is incosistent and Drogba has lost a lot of ability.

Yet another overly-simplistic post Doh

Yes, Barça's midfield is better at controlling the ball, but that doesn't matter in the context of this particular matchup. The Chelsea midfield, for example, is perfect for doing the job it needs to do - stop Barça. Their goal threat doesn't come (and doesn't need to) from midfield creativity or flair, but instead from the height of Terry and Ivanovic at setpieces, and the pace and strength of Torres and Drogba on the counter.

Plus, a game isn't just about the midfield. There's also attack (ok, Barça win in this aspect) and defense.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:01 pm

Super Laudrup wrote:
    Fenomeno wrote:
    Jaime wrote:
    Kroos wrote:you deserve barca FACT

baised on performances schalke is hottier favourite than INTER, well if magath gets the sack today (which is likely) schalke is hopeless for the rest of the season

here my order of teams i want to win the cl:

1. schalke
    2. barca (because they are not arrogant, and i dont see a team beating them)
    3. real, i hate REAL but i love my 2 germans
    4. shaktor
    5. chelsea (they would deserve it after so much pain in the last 5 years)
    6. tottenham (i have no bad feelings about tottenham (and they are great too watch), but for the sake of NOAHS arrogance, NO) Very Happy
    7. manu (i dont like them)
    8. inter

lol!

lol! (Thanks for highlighting. Maybe I should read some of his posts. Shit funny!)
    lol!

lol!
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:05 pm

abundance wrote:
    don't see any contradiction with the fact that this is football, the ball is round, no team is perfect, and every team can be beaten.

It's not really aimed at you my friend, but more at people like Bernd, who are saying stuff like the only way Barca won't win the CL would be due to complacency on their part.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:05 pm

fcb wrote:
    Luis wrote:
    BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
    Luis wrote:

Xavi
    Iniesta
    Busquets/Mascherano

Carrick
    Scholes
    Fletcher/Anderson

Essien
    Lampard
    Ramires

-----------

Yet another overly-simplistic post Doh

Yes, Barça's midfield is better at controlling the ball, but that doesn't matter in the context of this particular matchup. The Chelsea midfield, for example, is perfect for doing the job it needs to do - stop Barça. Their goal threat doesn't come (and doesn't need to) from midfield creativity or flair, but instead from the height of Terry and Ivanovic at setpieces, and the pace and strength of Torres and Drogba on the counter.

Plus, a game isn't just about the midfield. There's also attack (ok, Barça win in this aspect) and defense.

Well said kas. ok
    abundance
    abundance

Post by abundance Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:05 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
    abundance wrote:

It's not really aimed at you my friend, but more at people like Bernd, who are saying stuff like the only way Barca won't win the CL would be due to complacency on their part.
    I didn't take it personally, I'm cutting in for the pure joy of speculating on the art of football.
    And let me add to my point that what matters is the unit, football is played in 11, episodes count and it's not over till it's over cheers
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by christmasborocooper Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:25 pm

The draw is alright I think..they arent marquee games, but so what, its the QFs..it means we should get more competitive semi finals..and then potentially a better final. Very little chance of a same nation final too.

I dont see the logic in Kas(?) saying "Inter arent that good this year so Man United or Chelsea will beat them"..have you seen United and Chelsea this season? They're hardly top class.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:39 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
    Super Laudrup wrote:The Real Madrid vs Spurs game will be probably be spicy but other then that the other games don't look that entertaining. If Shakthar proves to be capable on this stage their counter attacking could lead to an exciting game.

Inter vs Schalke cheers

lol! You've got to love it. Herein provides a perfect example of Bobo Logic at work: Bobo repeats innacurate one-eyed observation ad nauseum until Bobo convinces himself it's true. Bobo lacks both the intelligence or humility to recognise what a fool this makes Bobo sound.

You've conveniently forgetten the entire first leg at the San Siro where Spurs did anything but sit back and defend, and no one was accusing them of shit-on-a-stick football that day. Or when they were outscoring and outplaying Inter in the group stages.

As a Milan fan/Inter fan or whatever fan you claim to be, you've shown about as much grace in losing as Gattuso on a wild head butting rampage. So typically Bobo. Great to have you back Ale

BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:43 pm

Noah and the Bale wrote:
    BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:

Inter vs Schalke cheers

lol! You've got to love it. Herein provides a perfect example of Bobo Logic at work: Bobo repeats innacurate one-eyed observation ad nauseum until Bobo convinces himself it's true. Bobo lacks both the intelligence or humility to recognise what a fool this makes Bobo sound.

You've conveniently forgetten the entire first leg at the San Siro where Spurs did anything but sit back and defend, and no one was accusing them of shit-on-a-stick football that day. Or when they were outscoring and outplaying Inter in the group stages.

As a Milan fan/Inter fan or whatever fan you claim to be, you've shown about as much grace in losing as Gattuso on a wild head butting rampage. So typically Bobo. Great to have you back Ale

You scored a goal on the counter attack and then defended/played long balls to Crouch in the 2nd leg. Brilliant football Ale

Inter schooled you lot at the GM. Performance at WHL was impressive, but i doubt Spurs will have the balls to attack like that in a KO stage match.

I previously said Milan deserved to lose - they only have themselves to blame for not taking their numerous chances at WHL.

COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by COTR Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:49 pm

lol!

Is Bobo still banging on about Spurs being anti football

Fuck me.
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:13 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:

Inter vs Schalke cheers

lol! Laugh lol!
    S4P
    S4P

Post by S4P Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:21 pm

Luis wrote:
    BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
    Luis wrote:

Xavi
    Iniesta
    Busquets/Mascherano

Carrick
    Scholes
    Fletcher/Anderson

Essien
    Lampard
    Ramires

-----------

Barcelona's midfield is the best in the world bar none. Only a fool would deny that. But that same midfield was stifled by Essien, Lampard, Ballack and Mikel only 2 years ago (and imo, Ramires > Mikel). Messi is the most talented footballer on earth but he, Xavi and Iniesta can all be kept (relatively) quiet by the more competent defences.
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:19 pm

S4P wrote:
    Luis wrote:
    BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
    Luis wrote:

Xavi
    Iniesta
    Busquets/Mascherano

Carrick
    Scholes
    Fletcher/Anderson

Essien
    Lampard
    Ramires

-----------

Barcelona's midfield is the best in the world bar none. Only a fool would deny that. But that same midfield was stifled by Essien, Lampard, Ballack and Mikel only 2 years ago (and imo, Ramires > Mikel). Messi is the most talented footballer on earth but he, Xavi and Iniesta can all be kept (relatively) quiet by the more competent defences.

Lampard isn't the same player he was 2 years ago. Essien's still recovering from his injury and Ramires is yet to prove he's a top quality player in these sorts of games.

I think to beat Barca the defence has to be on top and you need your strikers to nick a goal on the break. At the moment your strikers are all short of confidence but Luiz is a great addition yet prone to an error and if anyone's going to force an error it's the likes of Messi and co.

Anyway, I think United will beat Chelsea so it wont even be an issue.
    S4P
    S4P

Post by S4P Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:27 pm

Arsenal were one good Nicholas Bendtner touch away from eliminating Barcelona in the last round. This would have been remarkable given the one-sided nature of the tie, but serves as a reminder that Barcelona - as good as they are - can be beaten by a team that is a) defensively competent and b) takes its chances.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 3:50 am