Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Puro
Fey
COTR
abundance
Jaime
Super Progress
Luis
Fade out
Isco Benny
fcb
Xavier
Kroos
bluenine
17 posters

CL Draw : Quarter Finals

debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

CL Draw : Quarter Finals - Page 3 Empty Re: CL Draw : Quarter Finals

Post by debaser Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:34 pm

S4P wrote:Arsenal were one good Nicholas Bendtner touch away from eliminating Barcelona in the last round. This would have been remarkable given the one-sided nature of the tie, but serves as a reminder that Barcelona - as good as they are - can be beaten by a team that is a) defensively competent and b) takes its chances.

You forgot: c) not reduced to 10 men at a crucial stage by an incompetent ref
    Fade out
    Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
    Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Before his sending off. There were very few half-chances. And this is an Arsenal side that can't defend for peanuts.

I personally feel Real has a good chance of beating Farca over two legs.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Super Progress Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:26 pm

debaser wrote:
    S4P wrote:Arsenal were one good Nicholas Bendtner touch away from eliminating Barcelona in the last round. This would have been remarkable given the one-sided nature of the tie, but serves as a reminder that Barcelona - as good as they are - can be beaten by a team that is a) defensively competent and b) takes its chances.

You forgot: c) not reduced to 10 men at a crucial stage by an incompetent ref
    ok
    Key point that needs to be remembered.

Fenomeno wrote:Before his sending off. There were very few half-chances. And this is an Arsenal side that can't defend for peanuts.

I personally feel Real has a good chance of beating Farca over two legs.
    I don't know about that. Real isn't capable of sitting back defensively nor does it have any experience in beating top sides. Chelsea/Man Utd are the best teams for the job. If Mourinho had stayed with Inter then they would be on the list too but under Leonardo they aren't organised.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:15 am

Sure Shaktar or Real/Spurs can beat Barca... but over two legs, Barca will probably start as favourites in both games. Upsets are possible, but there is a larger chance of Barca winning, specially with one leg in Camp Nou.

The Final is entirely a different affair, over one game in neutral/hostile stadium against the likes of Inter/ManUtd/Chelsea, it may end up being more even a game. Sure, Inter are not as organised as before and ManUtd are lookig quite beatable, but its an one off game... Barca don't look that threatening away from home. It will be a more evenly contested game decided by incidents IMO...

Personally, I think Chelsea and Inter are more likely to trouble Barca in the final than ManUtd are... ManUtd's style of play seems to suit Barca more...
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:07 pm

bluenine wrote:Sure Shaktar or Real/Spurs can beat Barca... but over two legs, Barca will probably start as favourites in both games. Upsets are possible, but there is a larger chance of Barca winning, specially with one leg in Camp Nou.

The Final is entirely a different affair, over one game in neutral/hostile stadium against the likes of Inter/ManUtd/Chelsea, it may end up being more even a game. Sure, Inter are not as organised as before and ManUtd are lookig quite beatable, but its an one off game... Barca don't look that threatening away from home. It will be a more evenly contested game decided by incidents IMO...

Personally, I think Chelsea and Inter are more likely to trouble Barca in the final than ManUtd are... ManUtd's style of play seems to suit Barca more...
    Really?

Man Utd can defend deep if they wish with a battling central midfield and Rooney/Nani on the counter. This is a great style for beating Barcelona. Inter has Eto/Sneijder but their defence is much more loose and I don't know if they are even capable of sitting deep as they were able to last year. Chelsea is physically strong and know better then most how to stiffle Barcelona and they have both Drogba and Torres who cause trouble against anybody.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Super Laudrup wrote:
    bluenine wrote:Sure Shaktar or Real/Spurs can beat Barca... but over two legs, Barca will probably start as favourites in both games. Upsets are possible, but there is a larger chance of Barca winning, specially with one leg in Camp Nou.

Really?

Man Utd can defend deep if they wish with a battling central midfield and Rooney/Nani on the counter. This is a great style for beating Barcelona. Inter has Eto/Sneijder but their defence is much more loose and I don't know if they are even capable of sitting deep as they were able to last year. Chelsea is physically strong and know better then most how to stiffle Barcelona and they have both Drogba and Torres who cause trouble against anybody.
    Can ManUtd defend deep against Barca? With Brown, seriously? Razz

Well, its just a haunch, really. IMO its about the midfield. Inter & Chelsea have better players in central midfield who can distrupt/destroy Barca's play. As for Inter's defence, it is slowly getting better, Leo is learning. By the final, if we make it, it should be decent with Samuel back.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:04 pm

United's defence isn't good enough to withstand Barca if they're on the top of their game this season.

Vidic is the only one who's had a brilliant season. Evra hasn't been as good, Smalling/Oshea/Brown aren't good enough and Rafael is one of the biggest liabilities I can think of.

It's a shame United can only play Barca in the final because I think they'd be slaughtered over 2 legs.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:42 pm

bluenine wrote:
    Super Laudrup wrote:

Really?

Can ManUtd defend deep against Barca? With Brown, seriously? Razz

Well, its just a haunch, really. IMO its about the midfield. Inter & Chelsea have better players in central midfield who can distrupt/destroy Barca's play. As for Inter's defence, it is slowly getting better, Leo is learning. By the final, if we make it, it should be decent with Samuel back.
    Your memory is failing you my old friend:

Barcelona: Valdes, Zambrotta, Marquez, Milito, Abidal, Xavi, Toure Yaya, Deco (Henry 77), Messi (Bojan 62), Eto'o, Iniesta.
    Subs Not Used: Pinto, Gudjohnsen, Sylvinho, Giovanni, Thuram.

Booked: Marquez.

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Hargreaves, Ferdinand, Brown, Evra, Ronaldo, Carrick, Scholes, Park, Rooney (Nani 76), Tevez (Giggs 85).
    Subs Not Used: Kuszczak, Anderson, Pique, O'Shea, Silvestre.

Booked: Hargreaves.

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Hargreaves, Ferdinand, Brown, Evra (Silvestre 90), Park, Scholes (Fletcher 76), Carrick, Nani (Giggs 76), Ronaldo, Tevez.
    Subs Not Used: Kuszczak, Anderson, O'Shea, Welbeck.

Booked: Carrick, Ronaldo.

Goals: Scholes 14.

Barcelona: Valdes, Zambrotta, Puyol, Milito, Abidal, Toure Yaya (Gudjohnsen 88), Messi, Xavi, Deco, Iniesta (Henry 60), Eto'o (Bojan 72).
    Subs Not Used: Pinto, Edmilson, Sylvinho, Thuram.

Booked: Zambrotta, Deco, Toure Yaya.
    They have done it before twice!

I think Man Utd can still step up their game when needed and especially in this type of game with a bunker mentality which would suit them well. They have big game player Fletcher in midfield to protect them. They could more or less play the same midfield from back then. Man Utd aren't what they used to be but still figure they could do the job.

With regards to Inter it isn't simply a question of getting the good players back but also whether or not Leo can inspire the commitment in defence that Mou did. So far it strikes me as if Leo isn't even interested in doing building that chemistry in defence. Leo's lack of attention to defensive issues gets transmitted to the players.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:58 am

Super Laudrup wrote:They have done it before twice!

I think Man Utd can still step up their game when needed and especially in this type of game with a bunker mentality which would suit them well. They have big game player Fletcher in midfield to protect them. They could more or less play the same midfield from back then. Man Utd aren't what they used to be but still figure they could do the job.

With regards to Inter it isn't simply a question of getting the good players back but also whether or not Leo can inspire the commitment in defence that Mou did. So far it strikes me as if Leo isn't even interested in doing building that chemistry in defence. Leo's lack of attention to defensive issues gets transmitted to the players.
    Dude, those are not the same teams... ManUtd were an entirely different proposition with Ronaldo, Tevez, Hargreaves....

Anyways, I guess we think differently on this one. I still feel that over 1 game, Chelsea or Inter are more likely to sucker punch Barca than ManUtd... but this is football, anything is possible...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 3:25 pm