Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+25
stinger
Tweesus
Isco Benny
Six
Aristoskank
L r dd
fcb
Khadrim
Black Magic
Sgoater1
Super Progress
Chocolate Thunder
Romford Pele
Batman
Pierre Littbarski
Rosicky
Kimbo
TM
Football Genius
Luis
Calidad
Glenarch of the Glen
christmasborocooper
COTR
DS
29 posters

Glen Johnson to a big 4 ?

Poll

Is he worth it ?

[ 7 ]
    Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 7 Bar_left33%Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 7 Bar_right [33%] 
    [ 9 ]
    Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 7 Bar_left43%Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 7 Bar_right [43%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 7 Bar_left24%Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 7 Bar_right [24%] 

Total Votes: 21
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743
    Supports : Liverpool
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 7 Empty Re: Glen Johnson to a big 4 ?

Post by Football Genius Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:10 am

Rosicky wrote:
    Ade wrote:
    Football Genius wrote:“A condition of any sale would be that Portsmouth don’t disclose the transfer fee and conditions of the transaction due to outstanding business between the two clubs.” (Crouch?)

Kinda confirms that the fee will NOT be £17m...

If Portsmouth wanted to appease their fans by the sale, they would say "hey but look at all the dollar we got"

I'd be very surprised if he costs us in additional funds to those we are still due from the Crouch sale more than £9-£10m.

In this sense, fucking excellent business Rafa Ale

Exactly, myself and other Reds here earlier(and in the past) were saying likewise that the Crouch deal was to be involved in some way though others disagreed. It makes sense really.

Excellent bit of business indeed <Ale>

it means you probably ended up selling crouch for about 4mil?

excellent business, i think not.

you cant have it both ways lads Ale

Of course it is you complete pillock, having crouch's money burning a hole in our pocket does not achieve the clubs objectives in the transfer market, utilising what they would have paid us over the course of the next 12months NOW to get our summer transfer targets and realease the majority of our budget STILL on acquiring an attacking player AND re-enforcing our right back position is excellent business in the sporting sense.
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Post by Football Genius Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:14 am

Look its very simple...

We have a transfer budget... once used cannot be replenished this summer.

If we had looked at Srna for example, then we would not still have the £20odd mill required for another attacking player.

Capturing Johnson by cashing in on Crouch's excess fee we are due, allows us to get both a right back AND an attacking player.

YES YOU ARE ALL CORRECT, the total sum will become around the reported £17m mark, but doing this deal with Pompey allows us to target our more pressing positions upfront as well as re-enforcing our full backs.

If you cannot understand this logic, then please do say now, because i cannot make it any more simple...

Two players for the price of one (using our exisiting transfer budget) - We've manipulated the figures to acquire more quality players - this is whether you like it or not successfully balancing the books and getting Rafa's targets, GOOD BUSINESS.
    shazlx
    shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
    Supports : Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
    Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:16 am

Football Genius wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:It makes no difference, it still adds up to £17m that Pool either don't have or won't have. We had a similar deal for Owen with Real Madrid including some money they owed for Woodgate, you don't see me saying he didn't cost us £17m, because he did.

What you are saying is correct HOWEVER allow me to correct your tone to why we are so optimistic.

We are due £7m from Pompey, this is money we do not already have in our accounts, so to deduct this from the deal is clever because it releases more of the existing transfer budget to other targets, thus allowing us to capture a right back of a certain quality and still pursue our more primary attacking targets.

It is because we manipulated a previous sale in order to achieve this season's objectives that makes this move smart, financially and also in obtaining the players we need.

We maintain our cashflow and budgets, yet still acquire the targets we are after.

Its of no surprise to me that now Rafa has full control of his transfer budget, that this deal has been completed.... Rafa is clearly far more shrewd that Rick Parry ever was. He understands the footballing qualities and the financial implications... cheers to the Rafalution!
    Except the additional £10M you have paid should have been enough to cover his fee and you would still have the £7M coming your way.

Whatever,

If you're happy for Glenn Johnson at £17M then good luck.

I don't expect him to be a flop like Keane, he'll probably turn out as successful as Bosingwa. Initially exiting going forward but then a burden to the team defensively.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:17 am

It's a slight bonus, in the sense that we are improving our cashflow by spending money owed to us before it was meant to be repayed, but I don't see how that effects our budget in anyway. Money which is owed to us is an asset and will already be factored into our budget.
    shazlx
    shazlx

Post by shazlx Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:18 am

Football Genius wrote:
    Rosicky wrote:
    Ade wrote:
    Football Genius wrote:“A condition of any sale would be that Portsmouth don’t disclose the transfer fee and conditions of the transaction due to outstanding business between the two clubs.” (Crouch?)

Kinda confirms that the fee will NOT be £17m...

If Portsmouth wanted to appease their fans by the sale, they would say "hey but look at all the dollar we got"

I'd be very surprised if he costs us in additional funds to those we are still due from the Crouch sale more than £9-£10m.

In this sense, fucking excellent business Rafa Ale

Exactly, myself and other Reds here earlier(and in the past) were saying likewise that the Crouch deal was to be involved in some way though others disagreed. It makes sense really.

Excellent bit of business indeed <Ale>

it means you probably ended up selling crouch for about 4mil?

excellent business, i think not.

you cant have it both ways lads Ale

Of course it is you complete pillock, having crouch's money burning a hole in our pocket does not achieve the clubs objectives in the transfer market, utilising what they would have paid us over the course of the next 12months NOW to get our summer transfer targets and realease the majority of our budget STILL on acquiring an attacking player AND re-enforcing our right back position is excellent business in the sporting sense.
    That it correct, if you agree he's worth £17M.
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Post by Football Genius Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:22 am

Hes worth whatever is required to allow Pompey to do the deal..

The question is not 'is he worth £17m' - the question is "is he the right player to add to the squad"

We needed a right back with attacking intentions, its how Rafa system works - he needs full backs who can offer width with the quality to add value in the final third.

We also need to add the english quota to our first team squad.

Hes worth every penny. Ale
    shazlx
    shazlx

Post by shazlx Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:33 am

Football Genius wrote:Hes worth whatever is required to allow Pompey to do the deal..

The question is not 'is he worth £17m' - the question is "is he the right player to add to the squad"

We needed a right back with attacking intentions, its how Rafa system works - he needs full backs who can offer width with the quality to add value in the final third.

Your club really isn't rich enough to think like that. Or is it?
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Post by Football Genius Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:40 am

shazlx wrote:
    Football Genius wrote:Hes worth whatever is required to allow Pompey to do the deal..

Money is not the first question on ANY managements thoughts in any industry, its objectives and how you achieve those objectives - it then becomes how do we achieve those objectives within the confines of a rigid budget.

Johnson ticked all the boxes, we then explored how we could close the deal, and Crouch was the leverage that allows us to bid for him and still have funds to tackle other pressing positions.

Its absolutely fantastic management and business - i will assume if you do not recognise this, then you have in your personal life no business / management / budget appreciation in your day to day life.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:49 am

Maybe I can explain the finanical side a bit better than FG. He's right, but probably didn't get it accross properly.

- We buy Glen Johnson for cash, we pay £20m and wait for our change.

- When Portsmouth hands back the change, we say “I really didn’t want all this change, and I’m sure you could use it more than I could.” We then offer 20x post-dated cheques for £1m in exchange for the £20m we've already paid.

- We wait until they had over the £20m and then count out £19m in cheques to Portsmouth.

- When Portsmouth notice we have made a mistake, we act surprised and thank them for catching the error. If they fail to catch on we bring it to their attention saying that they might have made a mistake and would they please recount the money.

- Once the Portsmouth are aware that they are now holding £29m instead of £20m we say “Here, I’ll add another £1m to the £19m I gave you in exchange for the twenty. We hand Portsmouth £1m and takes the £20m, leaving with Glen Johnson and £10m profit.

Simples.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:50 am

17M for johnson, this has to be a joke.

when will rafa learn, its like going out and spending 20m on keane,when for 25 he could have had eto'o, if your are going to spend big, then spend big and get the best player money can buy, i'm sure for around 20m he could have gotten srna.

for 17m he could have gotten hunterlaar and have a partner/back up for torres.

17m for johnson lol!
    shazlx
    shazlx

Post by shazlx Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:56 am

Football Genius wrote:
    shazlx wrote:

Money is not the first question on ANY managements thoughts in any industry, its objectives and how you achieve those objectives - it then becomes how do we achieve those objectives within the confines of a rigid budget.

Johnson ticked all the boxes, we then explored how we could close the deal, and Crouch was the leverage that allows us to bid for him and still have funds to tackle other pressing positions.

Its absolutely fantastic management and business - i will assume if you do not recognise this, then you have in your personal life no business / management / budget appreciation in your day to day life
    I have already said its good business if you agree Johnson is worth £17M (which I don't).
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Post by Football Genius Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:58 am

Messiah wrote:17M for johnson, this has to be a joke.

when will rafa learn, its like going out and spending 20m on keane,when for 25 he could have had eto'o, if your are going to spend big, then spend big and get the best player money can buy, i'm sure for around 20m he could have gotten srna.

17m for johnson lol!

If we had spent £20m on Srna we would have no money to purchase an attacking player we desperately need.

Whereas with Johnson, because of the way the deal is structured (crouch) - we will have over £20m to go and by Eto'o if we wanted

We don't want or need Eto'o however, we're looking more at the 3 positions behind the striker predominently left side.

Ale

Buying Srna = no attacker of quality
    Buying Johnson = Also an attacker of quality

Which one would you pick?
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Post by Football Genius Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:01 am

You're not getting this are you Shazlx, buying Johnson allows us to acquire another attacking player by freeing up additional funds in our transfer budget whilst also addressing our right full back position.

Its not a question of 'is jim'll fix it worth X amount' its about addressing our sporting objectives, i.e getting players who fit the criteria for our summer spending, buying Johnson... the way we have structured it because of the Crouch deal allows us the ability to focus upon an attacker also. If we had bought anybody other than a Pompey right back, we'd be unable to do this, the fact Pompey's right back is a quality attacking right english full back - is just very good timing.
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Number of posts : 15804
    Supports : Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool
    Registration date : 2007-01-06

Post by Chocolate Thunder Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:02 am

Messiah wrote:17M for johnson, this has to be a joke.

17m for johnson lol!

I've been going about us signing Srna for years now Razz

But when signing Johnson one thing people seem oblivious about... THE HOME GROWN QUOTA which we have to meet

+ what FG has said above.

Anyway... Youtube montage time cheers