Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+25
stinger
Tweesus
Isco Benny
Six
Aristoskank
L r dd
fcb
Khadrim
Black Magic
Sgoater1
Super Progress
Chocolate Thunder
Romford Pele
Batman
Pierre Littbarski
Rosicky
Kimbo
TM
Football Genius
Luis
Calidad
Glenarch of the Glen
christmasborocooper
COTR
DS
29 posters

Glen Johnson to a big 4 ?

Poll

Is he worth it ?

[ 7 ]
    Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 8 Bar_left33%Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 8 Bar_right [33%] 
    [ 9 ]
    Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 8 Bar_left43%Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 8 Bar_right [43%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 8 Bar_left24%Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 8 Bar_right [24%] 

Total Votes: 21
    L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 8 Empty Re: Glen Johnson to a big 4 ?

Post by L r dd Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:18 am

kas wrote:I think the problem here is not that people don't understand the mechanics of this deal. You guys are explaining how it's a good deal in this transfer window, and while that's true, at the end of the day it still means you've valued a Glenn Johnson at 17m pounds. Or Man. City have, but Benitez was desperate enough to pay it anyway. That's the part which most people are amused by.

ok

It's not like the Walcott transfer where Arsenal paid less by paying more at a certain time. That was a good bit of business. However Johnson for 17 mill is not despite Ade repeating it a thousand times.
    Six
    Six

Number of posts : 4390
    Supports : Liverpool
    Registration date : 2009-01-14

Post by Six Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:19 am

Batman wrote:i find it funny how liverpool fans NOW think RB is the position in the team that needs improving the most.

At no point last season did i once think Arbeloa is a weak player and needs replacing.

Selling Arbeloa would be a mistake and you can quote me on that!

Hmm. A lot of the posters wanted to sign Johnson in the winter window. Fail.
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by COTR Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:20 am

Batman wrote:i find it funny how liverpool fans NOW think RB is the position in the team that needs improving the most.

At no point last season did i once think Arbeloa is a weak player and needs replacing.

scratch

You think we enjoyed seeing Carra and Skrtel running around at RB.

We have explained what we think of Arbeloa and his situation in great depth

YET AGAIN

Don't make us explain it again
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:21 am

Six wrote:
    But practically what does £18m mean. If we buy 4 more players at that price then the deal won't look so bad will it? I've said plenty of times that what matters is all of the signings made over summer. To be honest, I think we would have to spend that much to improve any position in the team. I don't get why someone like Srna would be so much more worth it when he has never even played in a top class league.

'To be honest' - i.e. 'not being honest at all', you think you'd have to spend nearly 20 million to get a better left winger than Riera or better right winger than Kuyt? You'd have to spend 20 million to get better backups for G-Spot/Torres than N'Gog and Benyanoon?

Johnson's overpriced, but no more so than plenty of other players. There are very few bargains these days. Still, Liverpool can hardly complain of a lack of money if this is the scale of their transfers. No doubt three games into the season that's exactly what Benitez is going to do, echoed by a dozen or more posters on this forum.
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:24 am

Stimulus Package wrote:

Johnson's overpriced, but no more so than plenty of other players. There are very few bargains these days. Still, Liverpool can hardly complain of a lack of money if this is the scale of their transfers. No doubt three games into the season that's exactly what Benitez is going to do, echoed by a dozen or more posters on this forum.

'Relative' lack of money Saints

But I do agree in general. While we don't have 4 or 5 £20m subs on the bench yet, Rafa has spent enough to be able to compete so the excuses are null and void for next season. The Yanks have been very good to him despite what nonsense the press would have us believe
    Six
    Six

Post by Six Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:25 am

Stimulus Package wrote:
    Six wrote:
    But practically what does £18m mean. If we buy 4 more players at that price then the deal won't look so bad will it? I've said plenty of times that what matters is all of the signings made over summer. To be honest, I think we would have to spend that much to improve any position in the team. I don't get why someone like Srna would be so much more worth it when he has never even played in a top class league.

'To be honest' - i.e. 'not being honest at all', you think you'd have to spend nearly 20 million to get a better left winger than Riera or better right winger than Kuyt? You'd have to spend 20 million to get better backups for G-Spot/Torres than N'Gog and Benyanoon?

Back ups are not what I meant when I said position in the team. Yeah i think if we wanted someone guaranteed to perform better than Kuyt or Riera you would be looking at at least £18m. Who could we get cheaper than that? There are not many great wingers around, and no Silva would not be that cheap.

It's a lack of money compared to United and Chelsea.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:31 am

Conspiracy Theorist wrote:

scratch

You think we enjoyed seeing Carra and Skrtel running around at RB.

We have explained what we think of Arbeloa and his situation in great depth

YET AGAIN

Don't make us explain it again

My name is Legion for we are many Yikes
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:34 am

'Relative' lack of money Saints

But I do agree in general. While we don't have 4 or 5 £20m subs on the bench yet, Rafa has spent enough to be able to compete so the excuses are null and void for next season. The Yanks have been very good to him despite what nonsense the press would have us believe

As I've said before, the Man U team that won the league three years ago cost less than the Chelsea team who'd won it two years prior. The Arsenal team that won it the year before cost less than the Man U and Chelsea teams they beat. Last year your lot finished only a few points off Man U, and ahead of Chelsea, despite both teams costing a chunk more. It can be done.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:37 am

Six wrote:
    Back ups are not what I meant when I said position in the team. Yeah i think if we wanted someone guaranteed to perform better than Kuyt or Riera you would be looking at at least £18m. Who could we get cheaper than that? There are not many great wingers around, and no Silva would not be that cheap.

I'm not sure who you could get cheaper, I'm not a football scout. But I think there are players available that are better than Riera/Kuyt (as EPL wingers) who'd probably cost less than 18 million. Though I like how you've come down from 20 to 18.

Nonetheless, it's an abundance of money compared to 99% of football clubs.
    Six
    Six

Post by Six Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:45 am

Stimulus Package wrote:
    Six wrote:

I'm not sure who you could get cheaper, I'm not a football scout. But I think there are players available that are better than Riera/Kuyt (as EPL wingers) who'd probably cost less than 18 million. Though I like how you've come down from 20 to 18.

You brought up £20m. I have never mentioned the price.

If you can't think of a cheap and better player and I can't then what I said about improving the team seems fair doesn't it?

Yes but we don't have a problem with 99% of football clubs saying we are rich. It's when United fans say we are as rich as them. Smile
    L r dd

Post by L r dd Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:49 am

Six wrote:
    Stimulus Package wrote:
    Six wrote:

If you can't think of a cheap and better player and I can't then what I said about improving the team seems fair doesn't it?

Yes but we don't have a problem with 99% of football clubs saying we are rich. It's when United fans say we are as rich as them. Smile
    No it goes we're richer than you but you cant moan about money since the facts shows Benitez has spent as much. And the net spend is roughly the same also.

then you all go on about how benitez needed to buy more due to having a crap squad blah blah blah. either way you're wrong and you change your opinion like the wind as proven with Johnson.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:50 am

Six wrote:

You have, but my mistake anyway.

You are making a blanket comment about the cost of footballing talent which I'm disputing. I don't have a specific player in mind, but I don't spend my time looking for players around the 10-12 million pound mark who'd improve Liverpool's attack, like I said, I'm not a football scout.

When do United fans say that?
    Six
    Six

Post by Six Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:06 am

Can't be bothered to get into it again. But United fans talk about how much Benitez has spent forgetting that he has had to catch up with a squad already consisting of a bunch of £30m players. Having a squad that costs significantly more than ours means nothing, being able to afford any player Fergie deems worth it means nothing, but net spend! That's the sole important factor!

Saints: I have spent my time looking for those players, none of them are clean cut improvements for me. Maybe we just rate Riera and Kuyt differently.

Lrd: What opinion have I changed? thanks.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:12 am

Six wrote:Can't be bothered to get into it again. But United fans talk about how much Benitez has spent forgetting that he has had to catch up with a squad already consisting of a bunch of £30m players. Having a squad that costs significantly more than ours means nothing, being able to afford any player Fergie deems worth it means nothing, but net spend! That's the sole important factor!

Saints: I have spent my time looking for those players, none of them are clean cut improvements for me. Maybe we just rate Riera and Kuyt differently.

Man U have 2 30 million pound players, and one other 25 million+. One of which has so far been another Veron.

There may be no clean cut improvements, but when your wingers are Babel, Riera and Kuyt who between them cost about 30 million it's fair to say it hasn't been the most successful position for Benitez.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:52 pm

MadVillain™️ wrote:
    There are very few RB's better than Johnson available, he is English, he will improve our attack and he is young. It just makes sense.

I always love how being "Young and English" is listed as some sort of mega positive reason to buy a player/rate him highly.

Spuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurs Ale

well it kind of is Jocelyn. IF you're young it means you 1) might improve and 2) will have some sort of resale value. If you're English chances are you'll settle quicker than a dirty foreigner, and will appease the fans, club identity and quotas. Even better is being young, English and white.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:11 pm

Glenacious D wrote:
    MadVillain™️ wrote:
    There are very few RB's better than Johnson available, he is English, he will improve our attack and he is young. It just makes sense.

I always love how being "Young and English" is listed as some sort of mega positive reason to buy a player/rate him highly.

Spuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurs Ale

well it kind of is Jocelyn. IF you're young it means you 1) might improve and 2) will have some sort of resale value. If you're English chances are you'll settle quicker than a dirty foreigner, and will appease the fans, club identity and quotas. Even better is being young, English and white.

Then how come this bloke:

Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 8 David_bentley1

Is making a mockery of that theory?
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:57 pm

MadVillain™️ wrote:come this bloke:

Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 8 Etc

Is making a mockery of that theory?

did he?

worked out pretty well for Blackburn if I rape children.
    Football Genius
    Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743

Post by Football Genius Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:13 pm

http://store.liverpoolfc.tv/products/footballkit/awaykit/awayadultkit/official-lfc-adult-away-shirt-0910/pid-28328

Johnson's name is on the 'personalise' list - closest thing to a confirmation yet.
    Khadrim
    Khadrim

Number of posts : 1719
    Supports : Fulham soft spot for Liverpool, Newcastle, Wolfsburg, Rubin Kazan
    Favourite Player : Paintsil, Barry, Iniesta, Ozil
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by Khadrim Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:24 pm

Just how have the Liverpool supporters convinced themselves this is a good deal.

That was rhetorical. I'm not looking for an answer. Just amazed at the credulousness of liverpool supporters.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:29 pm

Jls?
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:30 pm

Football Genius wrote:http://store.liverpoolfc.tv/products/footballkit/awaykit/awayadultkit/official-lfc-adult-away-shirt-0910/pid-28328

Johnson's name is on the 'personalise' list - closest thing to a confirmation yet.

no Voronin on that list cheers
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:30 pm

JLS?

Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 8 Jlloyd-Samuel-Bolton-Wanderers-2008_1450004
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:16 pm

Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 8 200611182128lg_SOFT%20BEVEPGlen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 8 0,,1004~3749271,00Glen Johnson to a big 4 ? - Page 8 CONTE

Question
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:17 pm

Football Genius wrote:http://store.liverpoolfc.tv/products/footballkit/awaykit/awayadultkit/official-lfc-adult-away-shirt-0910/pid-28328

It could Be Andy Johnson for all you know.
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:00 am

Oooh. Chelsea have matched Pool's offer. Where will he go Question
    L r dd

Post by L r dd Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:16 am

Good signing from Ancelotti paying the going rate for an excellent right back. I see how he had all that success at Milan, knows what he's doing.
    Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071

Post by Batman Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:21 am

agree with Lrd

excellent signing for Chelsea

selling Boswinga to Bayern then signing Johnson is great business

Johnson is still only 24 and i think will become Englands greatest RB in history
    Rosicky
    Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
    Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
    Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:27 am

L-r d wrote:Good signing from Ancelotti paying the going rate for an excellent right back. I see how he had all that success at Milan, knows what he's doing.

lol!
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:03 am

I'm really surprised by this:

1. Are Chelsea stupid enough to replace Bosingwa with Johnson?

2. If they can't stop Bosingwa leaving, is the player himself stupid enough to want to move to Germany? (no offense Bayern or Bundesliga fans but I don't think you can deny that he'd be taking a backward step in his career)

3. If he doesn't really want to move either but the rumours of a buyout clause of 12m or so in his contract are true and that's what Bayern are taking advantage of, then how stupid are Chelsea to put that in there in the first place Doh
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:07 am

ok

None of this makes any sense.

If I were Johnson I'd join Liverpool anyway. Its a far more settled club than Chelsea. IMO he'd have a better career at Liverpool because at Chelsea, if he were to have a not so good season they'd just replace him next summer. At Liverpool they'd be more patient with him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:40 pm