Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+34
BoBo Vieri 32
Dwarf
blutgraetsche
Murray
shazlx
Super Progress
fcb
Parks lives
stinger
Tom
Historicus
Sheffield gunner
COTR
Luis
Chris 23*
Fey
Romford Pele
Glenarch of the Glen
Pierre Littbarski
Khadrim
Kimbo
Barrilete
Fade out
Aristoskank
Tweesus
Deluded F*ck™
Kroos
Jaime
debaser
Brian2468
christmasborocooper
Isco Benny
EMP
L r dd
38 posters

England squad

Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

England squad - Page 2 Empty Re: England squad

Post by Tweesus Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:58 pm

I much prefer Lennon to SWP and Beckham on the right. I guess its whether Capello feels the neccessity for a dedicated wide right player or not.

Capello does like to pick on current form though, so hopefully Lennon will be given a go. Also wouldn't rule out a Defoe-Rooney front two.
    Brian2468

Number of posts : 4875

Post by Brian2468 Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:28 pm

Like to see Lennon get a run, one thing Milner has over him is stamina Milner works much harder and it seems can last a lot longer applying pressure against some teams he really could help grinding out wins. Different players that bring a different threat says I.... Cool
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:23 pm

This is what is comes down to.

Milner is a good player. But thats the problem - he's in the mould of the type of reliable and consistent players that have plagued the England National Team for many many years. He'll do a job, but nothing spectacular, because he isn't exceptional in any one area.

This would be fine if we had a team full of technical craftsmen and matchwinners.

Lennon on the otherhand, has exceptional pace, balance and first touch. As well all know, he's erratic in his crossing/shooting ability, and in comparison with Milner, will not do a good job consistently. Somedays he might not touch the ball.

However, he has that mercurial ability to do something different and turn a game in an instant. He's won Spurs our last 2 games in a row out of nothing.

These kind of players have long been ostricised at International level by England managers intent on using the tried and trusted. And then when we go out at the quarter finals of World Cup/European Championships playing organised but predictable football, we rue the fact we don't have enough technical game winners in our team, or enough pace or players who will take on defenders.

I say have Milner in the squad, but use Lennon when he's on form, because even if he doesn't play particularly well his pace is likely to have run a fullback ragged and Milner can come on and benefit.

And there we have it. The key to winning the World Cup, eradicating famine and reversing Global warming. Play Lennon Ale
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:54 pm

England squad - Page 2 01030605
    Barrilete
    Barrilete

Number of posts : 2336
    Supports : Club Atlético Boca Juniors
    Favourite Player : Maxi Lopez, aka, TWD (The White Drogba)
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Barrilete Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:55 pm

borocooper wrote:England squad - Page 2 01030605

yoghurt?
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:02 pm

Its Pele trying to white up Lennon.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:28 pm

You don't disagree though do you Copter?

Lennon will single handedly end the credit crunch, save the whales, sort out your erection problem, cure your mum of syphilis, and turn your hair an acceptable colour.

Lennon will do all of this. For you Ale
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:38 pm

borocooper wrote:England squad - Page 2 01030605

lol! lol!

My thoughts exactly.
    Fade out
    Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
    Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:50 pm

lol!
    Khadrim
    Khadrim

Number of posts : 1719
    Supports : Fulham soft spot for Liverpool, Newcastle, Wolfsburg, Rubin Kazan
    Favourite Player : Paintsil, Barry, Iniesta, Ozil
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by Khadrim Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:59 pm

Spider Crouch wrote:

These kind of players have long been ostricised at International level by England managers intent on using the tried and trusted. And then when we go out at the quarter finals of World Cup/European Championships playing organised but predictable football, we rue the fact we don't have enough technical game winners in our team, or enough pace or players who will take on defenders.

I say have Milner in the squad, but use Lennon when he's on form, because even if he doesn't play particularly well his pace is likely to have run a fullback ragged and Milner can come on and benefit.

And there we have it. The key to winning the World Cup, eradicating famine and reversing Global warming. Play Lennon Ale

Sven you mean. Mclaren and Keegan were just poor. Under Venables and Hoddle England were good to watch.

I would rather play both. Villa do it with Young and Milner.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:38 pm

MadVillain™️ wrote:
    Defoe bothered by Owen talk

Spurs striker keen to get away from comparisons

Jermain Defoe has admitted it can be 'frustrating' to hear Michael Owen's name mentioned when he is trying to concentrate on his own England career.

Defoe has been called up to Fabio Capello's latest squad after an excellent start to the season but it was Owen's omission which received most attention.

Comparisons have often been drawn between the two players but Defoe insists he would prefer not to hear about Owen so much.

"It's like if my name gets mentioned Michael Owen's has got to get mentioned as well. That is sometimes frustrating," said the Tottenham striker.

"Michael Owen is a great player but it is not that if I'm in the squad he's not, or that if he is in the squad, I'm not. It would be nice to get away from it."
    Rooney partnership

Another popular theory is that Defoe and Wayne Rooney cannot play together, with Emile Heskey regularly preferred up front as a foil to the Manchester United man.

Defoe has not scored any of his 10 international goals when Rooney has been on the pitch but he insists they can forge a successful partnership.

He said: "I have played with Wayne a few times now. He is a great player who likes to get a lot of touches on the ball.

"In that sense he is similar to Robbie Keane and my partnership with him is great. I don't mind staying behind a main striker, that's for sure."

A little bit childish, but ultimately he's right about what he's hinting about - there's definitely a concerted push to get the Media Darling Golden Boy that is "Ingurland's Michael Owen" into the England team, not just squad, once more.

ok

Evil or Very Mad
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:16 pm

Khadrim wrote:
    Spider Crouch wrote:

Sven you mean. Mclaren and Keegan were just poor. Under Venables and Hoddle England were good to watch.

I would rather play both. Villa do it with Young and Milner.

I did clearly say Lennon has his faults.

RIGHT now worth picking him, but doesn't mean by any stretch he's a nailed on cert for the right for the future.

Not a problem though, it's good to see Smogcopter and Dimbo are bonding over this. All that time on the Championship thread - they've got a lot in common bless them Hug Ale
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:06 pm

Your reaction is understandable, Pele.

It must be hard to take, knowing that a non Spurs fan knew what was best for Lennon. Whilst you just sat their wanking in his face..and still he went with me Ale
    Brian2468

Post by Brian2468 Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:43 pm

Pele.... When I see him beat Evra and Ashley Cole and sending in good crosses on a regular basis then he is ready. Up until that time he is still a fringe player with good potential.
    L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by L r dd Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:46 pm

Brian2468 wrote:Pele.... When I see him beat Evra and Ashley Cole and sending in good crosses on a regular basis then he is ready. Up until that time he is still a fringe player with good potential.

To be fair ive never seen anyone destroy evra like lennon has
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:00 pm

borocooper wrote:Your reaction is understandable, Pele.

It must be hard to take, knowing that a non Spurs fan knew what was best for Lennon. Whilst you just sat their wanking in his face..and still he went with me Ale

Smogster, I've always said Lennon needs time. He's 21 FFS. Don't twist my words or I'll tell everyone you're ginger Ale

@Brian - your half right. He took Evra to the cleaners in the Carling Cup final. Shame about his crossing that day though.
    Brian2468

Post by Brian2468 Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:01 pm

L r dd wrote:
    Brian2468 wrote:Pele.... When I see him beat Evra and Ashley Cole and sending in good crosses on a regular basis then he is ready. Up until that time he is still a fringe player with good potential.

To be fair ive never seen anyone destroy evra like lennon has

I must of missed few a games or did not notice it. Cannot wait to see this on Sept 12th....... <Ale>
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:03 pm

it was the game the referee apologised for ruining I think Brian.

see http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/pdfs/foilingferguson.pdf
    Brian2468

Post by Brian2468 Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:11 pm

G for Glenndetta wrote:it was the game the referee apologised for ruining I think Brian.

This will be a excellent measure of a player improving, If he can continually out fox the defender he is growing.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:14 pm

Brian2468 wrote:
    G for Glenndetta wrote:it was the game the referee apologised for ruining I think Brian.

This will be a excellent measure of a player improving, If he can continually out fox the defender he is growing.

Brian, what happened to 3-5-2?

2468 makes no tactical sense. Are you cracking up? affraid
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:03 pm

Spider Crouch wrote:
    borocooper wrote:Your reaction is understandable, Pele.

Smogster, I've always said Lennon needs time. He's 21 FFS. Don't twist my words or I'll tell everyone you're ginger Ale

@Brian - your half right. He took Evra to the cleaners in the Carling Cup final. Shame about his crossing that day though.

It wasnt about saying he needed time.

It was about me saying he needed to work hard on crossing and shooting over anything else and me being shot down by the Spurs fans with shit like "he's not David Beckham".
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:05 pm

I don't know how 0trick has the nerve to disagree with smogcopter on this. He just gets worse and worse, awful man. You can tell he comes from a country of nazi sympathizers.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:10 pm

You two have the nerve. Yikes

Very naughty. I know your game. It must be "bully the gypsy" week up in Northerly Easterly Land

I won't have it Devil
    Brian2468

Post by Brian2468 Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:12 pm

Spider Crouch wrote:
    Brian2468 wrote:

Brian, what happened to 3-5-2?

2468 makes no tactical sense. Are you cracking up? affraid

Well I lost interest really when King's injuries continually got worse... Smile
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:34 pm

Anyone want to second guess the team for tonight's game.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:08 pm

SWP starts on the right.

Whilst Heskey starts upfront.

It's official - Capello is Anti-Spurs.
    EMP
    EMP

Number of posts : 7384
    Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
    Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by EMP Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:09 pm

No need.

England:
    Robert Green, Glen Johnson, Ashley Cole, Steven Gerrard, Msatthew Upson, John Terry, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Frank Lampard, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney, Gareth Barry.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:14 pm

I put some money on Defoe as first scorer.

Surely Defoe will get the nod over Heskey, based on Capello's tendency to pick players on form. So I thought.

Capello Twisted Evil
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:17 pm

debaser wrote:Based on past selections, I'd expect more like:

-----------------------Foster-------------------------------

Johnson-----------Upson---Terry----------A.Cole------

-------------------Lampard------Barry--------------------

SWP---------------------Gerrard-----------------------

---------------------------------------Rooney

-----------------------Heskey--------------------------------

Based on form, Defoe + Lennon should get some time. Maybe Milner too, after he made good cameo in last friendly.

Debaser FTW.. Although I got the keeper wrong Erm
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:18 pm

debaser wrote:
    debaser wrote:Based on past selections, I'd expect more like:

-----------------------Foster-------------------------------

Johnson-----------Upson---Terry----------A.Cole------

-------------------Lampard------Barry--------------------

SWP---------------------Gerrard-----------------------

---------------------------------------Rooney

-----------------------Heskey--------------------------------

Based on form, Defoe + Lennon should get some time. Maybe Milner too, after he made good cameo in last friendly.

Debaser FTW.. Although I got the keeper wrong Erm

So close but no cigar..its like Aston Villla Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 5:45 am