Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
Mexicanbecks
Parks lives
EMP
Riviera
DS
zen and the art of
TM
Oleguerisntthatbad
Ricardo Jol
golsud
La Saeta Rubia
Jaime
Luis
Super Progress
Torrente
Rosicky
NCFC
blutgraetsche
Lard
fcb
toon h
25 posters

La Liga run-in

Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

La Liga run-in - Page 5 Empty Re: La Liga run-in

Post by Jaime Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:18 pm

Jornada 33 and 35 will be the keys because either Sevilla or Madrid will fall out after their match and then when Barcelona travels to the Vicente Calderon.
    Mexicanbecks
    Mexicanbecks

Number of posts : 3775
    Supports : Real Madrid
    Favourite Player : Zidane
    Registration date : 2006-11-16

Post by Mexicanbecks Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:31 pm

ive just done it and sadly i see barca winning it with 2 pts :[
    NCFC
    NCFC

Number of posts : 3485
    Supports : Cádiz C.F y Norwich City F.C
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by NCFC Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:14 pm

Revista pundits Ballague and Hunter go for Sevilla and Barca to win the title, respectively. I think that the game for Sevilla this weekend against Espanyol could be very pivotal. If they can continue the form of their last two games I might give them a chance again - but it is still Barca's title to win and Madrid/Valencia's to pounce on IMO.
    NCFC
    NCFC

Post by NCFC Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:05 pm

So the LFP has decided that for the final two jornadas of the season all games that matter ie: have the title, CL football, UEFA Cup football, relegation riding on them. Will be played at the same time. This is to avoid accusations of match fixing time wasting, whatever that has happened in the past.

Therefore should all four teams still be involved in the title race for the final two jornadas we will be able to watch just one match! Not good for the TV spectator! Great for those at stadiums as the drama will be intense.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:33 am

Mmm, streams and a fast connection are going to come in handy.
    toon h
    toon h

Number of posts : 8715

Post by toon h Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:52 am

All 4 top sides won (Zaragoza aside) so we are in the same spot as last week.

the table looks like this now.

1 Barcelona 32 62
    2 Sevilla 32 61
    3 Real Madrid 32 60
    4 Valencia 32 56

6 games left:

matchday .... Barcelona .......... Sevilla ............ Madrid

33 ............... Sociedad (A) ...... R Madrid (A) ....... Sevilla (H)
    34 ............... Betis (H) ............ Recre (H) ........... Espanyol (H)
    35 ............... Atlético (A) ........ Depor (A) ........... Recre (A)
    36 ............... Getafe (H) ......... Zaragoza (H) ...... Depor (H)
    37 ............... Espanyol (H) ...... Mallorca (A) ........ Zaragoza (A)
    38 ............... Nastic (A) .......... Villarreal (H) ....... Mallorca (H)

next week is pivotal. I can see us draw in Donosti while RM and Sevilla draw their game and us being back in the same situation next week, not having taken advantage of the showdown in Madrid.
    Real Madrid have the advantage of only having two away games left, although they seem to be better playing away. Those away games are to Huelva and Zaragoza though, no easy games by any means, with those two fighting for European football.

Barça with the "easiest" run-in, but will they be clinical enough?
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:15 am

Your game vs Athletico Madrid wont be easy or is that Bilbao.
    toon h
    toon h

Post by toon h Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:28 am

that's Atlético Madrid. An 80% chance of points loss.

In the same weekend, Sevilla play away to a poor Depor side and Real Madrid play Recre in Huelva. As someone pointed out already, next weekend and that one are the keys, or at least so it appears, but the way things are going, we can see upsets any week.

Sevilla seem to have a tough programme though.
    DS
    DS

Number of posts : 12952
    Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:42 am

Madrid got 2 difficult games for Sevilla and Zaragoza (not counting any potential upsets) , Barca has one At Madrid while Sevilla got 3 obstacles RM , Villarreal and Zaragoza , Zaragoza can play its part in the title (what are they fighting for Uefa cup place or CL place).
    toon h
    toon h

Post by toon h Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:49 am

they are 3 points behind Valencia in 5th, so they can still make the CL qualifier spot.

They might be assured of a UEFA spot by the time they play Madrid though, with possibly no options for the CL, since it seems 7th spot is going to be enough for this with Sevilla playing Barça in the final probably and they are now 6 points ahead of 8th spot.
    NCFC
    NCFC

Post by NCFC Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:49 pm

JORNADA 33 06/05/2007
    Deportivo -- Valencia

JORNADA 34 13/05/2007
    Valencia -- Zaragoza

JORNADA 35 20/05/2007
    Mallorca -- Valencia

JORNADA 36 27/05/2007
    Valencia -- Villarreal

JORNADA 37 10/06/2007
    Levante -- Valencia

JORNADA 38 17/06/2007
    Valencia -- R. Sociedad

I have money on Los Che. I have to believe they are still in it toon. I think it is fair to say that they have a very good run in. The hardest game is perhaps the derby at the Ciutat Valencia against Levante - they will be fighting for their lives and tend to have plenty of dislike for the opposition. Zaragoza coming up in a couple of weeks. Will be difficult but I still fancy Valencia in the Mestalla.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Tue May 01, 2007 7:36 am

I figure all the Liga followers will read this, so I'll post it here.

Check out today's Marcatoons, the theme is "Rijkaard y Joaquin coinciden tomando un cafe". It's hilarious lol!
    toon h
    toon h

Post by toon h Mon May 07, 2007 10:31 pm

Has Sevilla dropped off? can we write them off already? IMO too early to say the way things have been going.

the table looks like this now.

1 Barcelona 33 65
    2 Real Madrid 33 63
    3 Sevilla 33 61
    4 Valencia 33 59

5 games left:

matchday .... Barcelona .......... Sevilla ............ Madrid

34 ............... Betis (H) ............ Recre (H) ........... Espanyol (H)
    35 ............... Atlético (A) ........ Depor (A) ........... Recre (A)
    36 ............... Getafe (H) ......... Zaragoza (H) ...... Depor (H)
    37 ............... Espanyol (H) ...... Mallorca (A) ........ Zaragoza (A)
    38 ............... Nastic (A) .......... Villarreal (H) ....... Mallorca (H)

Real Madrid for the first time this season in the top 2, but they have arrived there finally with some purpose. Not to mention confidence due to their new-found spirit and teamwork.
    Barcelona cannot afford any slip-ups if Real Madrid keep winning their games, since RM have the head to head advantage. Are the culés running scared? are RM overconfident?

Next week all 3 top sides are expected to win their games.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Mon May 07, 2007 10:39 pm

Atletico v Barcelona and Zaragoza v Real Madrid will decide the champion. Sevilla are not out of it mathematically but the only way they will win is if both Barcelona and Real Madrid slip up and I don't see them both faltering.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Mon May 21, 2007 3:14 am

Pichichi standings:

Van Nistelrooy 22
    Diego Milito 20
    Kanouté 20
    Ronaldinho 19
    Forlán 15
    Villa 13

(I also want to mention Etoo, who has 11 goals from just 16 appearances - 14 starts and 2 substitutions Ale )

Zamora standings (coefficient calculated by dividing goals conceded by the number of appearances made):

Abbondanzieri 0,85
    Leo Franco 0,86
    Valdés 0,86
    Bravo 0,96
    Cañizares 0,97
    Palop 1,03

Last edited by on Mon May 21, 2007 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total
    Mexicanbecks
    Mexicanbecks

Post by Mexicanbecks Mon May 21, 2007 3:17 am

kas wrote:Pichichi standings:

Van Nistelrooy 22
    Diego Milito 20
    Kanouté 20
    Ronaldinho 19
    Forlán 15
    Villa 13
    Soldado 11 cheers

Zamora standings (coefficient calculated by dividing goals conceded by the number of appearances made):

Abbondanzieri 0,85
    Leo Franco 0,86
    Valdés 0,86
    Bravo 0,96
    Cañizares 0,97
    Palop 1,03
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Mon May 21, 2007 3:23 am

So, 3 matchdays to go now. We passed our main obstacle (Atletico), but I'm once again a bit nervous about the prospect of playing Getafe, mainly because we always follow a good result with a bad one this season.

The main thing in our favour though, is that our 3 opponents have nothing to play for in sporting terms - Getafe already have a UEFA place, Espanyol can't get one and hit the climax of their season last week, and Nastic are as good as down.

Madrid have an easy game against Depor, the theoretically tough one against Zaragoza (who you could argue also have nothing to play for since their UEFA is confirmed...but I guess people are counting on their attacking quality to come through), and a home match against an on-form Mallorca, but that shouldn't really be a problem either.

Sevilla have the toughest run-in of all. In fact, I'm probably going to count them out at this point - Zaragoza, away to Mallorca, and then the final match against a Villarreal who are absolutely on fire and are really making a late charge for Atletico's current UEFA cup spot.

Valencia's run-in is difficult to predict. They have Villarreal next, who could be tough given their form, but the match is at the Mestalla. Then come two easy games on paper, Levante away and Sociedad at home, but both those teams are fighting relegation and could be tough opponents. Plus the Levante match is practically a derbi.

Basically, it's all to play for at this point. Here are the current standings:

Madrid - 69
    Barcelona - 69
    Sevilla - 67
    Valencia - 65
    Mexicanbecks
    Mexicanbecks

Post by Mexicanbecks Mon May 21, 2007 3:28 am

its actually been amazing how la liga has shaped up after the break, its seriously up for anyone to take it. theoretically its real's to lose (considering if we take 9 points we win the league) but like you said valencia have been getting results and do have the easiest remaining fixtures
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Mon May 21, 2007 3:35 am

Yeah...I tried doing a quiniela to see how things would pan out, but in the end it was a bit pointless to post it because I had us winning our 3 remaining games, and Madrid winning against Depor oand Mallorca. That automatically makes Sevilla and Valencia's results irrelevant as far as the title race goes.

So basically it all comes down to the "double final" Madrid vs. Zaragoza to decide the league (I call it "double final" because the result will affect two teams - us and Madrid).
    Mexicanbecks
    Mexicanbecks

Post by Mexicanbecks Mon May 21, 2007 3:36 am

kas wrote:Yeah...I tried doing a quiniela to see how things would pan out, but in the end it was a bit pointless to post it because I had us winning our 3 remaining games, and Madrid winning against Depor oand Mallorca. That automatically makes Sevilla and Valencia's results irrelevant as far as the title race goes.

So basically it all comes down to the "double final" Madrid vs. Zaragoza to decide the league (I call it "double final" because the result will affect two teams - us and Madrid).

wouldnt matter if you lose against getafe Whistle
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Mon May 21, 2007 3:39 am

That was the other tough one to predict. In the end I went with us (just about) winning. Our home form has been good this season and while even a draw wouldn't be good enough, I think the players now realise what's at stake and will play well to get a result.

Plus, like toon h said in the Jornada thread, we always (only) play well this season when we're second:
    2-1 comeback against Zaragoza in the Cup, 1-0 win over Liverpool at Anfield, and the matches in the league when Sevilla have taken the lead.
    Mexicanbecks
    Mexicanbecks

Post by Mexicanbecks Mon May 21, 2007 3:45 am

kas wrote:That was the other tough one to predict. In the end I went with us (just about) winning. Our home form has been good this season and while even a draw wouldn't be good enough, I think the players now realise what's at stake and will play well to get a result.

Plus, like toon h said in the Jornada thread, we always (only) play well this season when we're second:
    2-1 comeback against Zaragoza in the Cup, 1-0 win over Liverpool at Anfield, and the matches in the league when Sevilla have taken the lead.

well we seem to get results when we are first lol!
    Rez

Number of posts : 3757
    Registration date : 2006-10-06

Post by Rez Mon May 21, 2007 11:45 am

kas wrote:Pichichi standings:

Van Nistelrooy 22
    Diego Milito 20
    Kanouté 20
    Ronaldinho 19
    Forlán 15
    Villa 13

I thought as Villa was being touted for £35-40m he would have scored more than that or at least certainly outscored Forlan. Although Torres is priced at £25-30m and he has never scored more than 16 league goals in a season. I guess the Spanish players are just as overvalued as there English counterparts.

Good win for Barca, looks like the good days are returning, I think it may be too late to rescue their title.
    toon h
    toon h

Post by toon h Mon May 21, 2007 12:06 pm

Surely Valencia's chances must be next to zero. They need both Real Madrid and Barcelona to slip up twice in the last three games.

At least, as Kas said, we have got our last BIG hurdle behind us (even if Getafe and Espanyol are tricky games at home) and we will play all 3 remaining games in Catalonia, we still depend on Real Madrid to slip up. The way they are going, you can draw one of two conclusions:
    - if they didn't slip up against Espanyol or Recre, they surely aren't going to let this go anymore and their confidence sky high and winning mentality now unstoppable
    - their "luck" of scoring winners in the final minute is going to run out
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Mon May 21, 2007 2:25 pm

I think the last point you make is valid. There is no way we can keep winning in the last minute. We had the game well in control in the first half yesterday and had three excellent chances to put the game away -- all of which were squandered and in the end we let Recre back into it. We can't be so casual when we have a lead.
    TheCrazy58
    TheCrazy58

Number of posts : 8151
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by TheCrazy58 Mon May 21, 2007 4:04 pm

Sid Lowe on last night

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/05/21/madrid_one_half_happy_other_ha.html

'....Only there was one, tiny flaw. This is Atlético Madrid, the club that's had more false dawns than Truman Burbank, the club with a unique ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. And, even more importantly, that is Real Madrid, the club with a unique ability to do exactly the opposite - the club displaying the kind of irrational, yet somehow hugely lucrative belief of an orange-tanned TV evangelist; the club with a manager who has, to paraphrase the Spanish saying, an arse the size of a small country.'

lol!
    TM
    TM

Number of posts : 21218
    Supports : PROGRESS!
    Favourite Player : Luis Figo
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM Mon May 21, 2007 4:05 pm

Sorry? Who's top sid? Razz
    TheCrazy58
    TheCrazy58

Number of posts : 8151
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by TheCrazy58 Mon May 21, 2007 4:07 pm

oops I should move this to Journada thread really.
    NCFC
    NCFC

Post by NCFC Mon May 21, 2007 4:41 pm

toon h wrote:Surely Valencia's chances must be next to zero. They need both Real Madrid and Barcelona to slip up twice in the last three games.

And it all looked so good before Carlos stuck in the injury time goal.....

Then it went to pieces. I'd put 1% on it now. Madrid 50, Barca 30, Sevilla 19...Perhaps....
    Torrente
    Torrente

Number of posts : 5489
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by Torrente Mon May 21, 2007 4:49 pm

Jaime wrote:I think the last point you make is valid. There is no way we can keep winning in the last minute. We had the game well in control in the first half yesterday and had three excellent chances to put the game away -- all of which were squandered and in the end we let Recre back into it. We can't be so casual when we have a lead.

I could very well be wrong but I think that the way we won last night will benefit us more in the long run had we just held on 2-0. The players got their wake up call and they are bound to be on their toes regardless what the score is in the next 3 games. As annoyed as I was last night at the way we gave up the lead, I was glad it happened then and the players managed to overcome it rather in the following games.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 3:17 am