Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
Mexicanbecks
Parks lives
EMP
Riviera
DS
zen and the art of
TM
Oleguerisntthatbad
Ricardo Jol
golsud
La Saeta Rubia
Jaime
Luis
Super Progress
Torrente
Rosicky
NCFC
blutgraetsche
Lard
fcb
toon h
25 posters

La Liga run-in

toon h
    toon h

Number of posts : 8715
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

La Liga run-in Empty La Liga run-in

Post by toon h Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:52 pm

two points separate the first 3 teams in Spain.

two more follow just behind.

the table looks like this now.

1 Barcelona 29 56
    2 Sevilla 29 55
    3 Real Madrid 29 54
    4 Zaragoza 29 50
    5 Valencia 29 50

games left:

Barcelona: Mallorca (en casa), Villarreal (fuera), Levante (en casa), Real Sociedad (fuera), Betis (en casa), Atlético (fuera), Getafe (en casa), Espanyol (en casa) y Nástic (fuera).

Sevilla: Valencia (fuera), Athletic (en casa), Real Madrid (fuera), Recreativo (en casa), Deportivo (fuera), Zaragoza (en casa), Mallorca (fuera) y Villarreal (en casa).

Madrid: Racing (fuera), Valencia (en casa), Athletic (fuera), Sevilla (en casa), Espanyol, (en casa), Recreativo (fuera), Deportivo (en casa), Zaragoza (fuera) y Mallorca (en casa).

Zaragoza: Nástic (en casa), Celta (en casa), Osasuna (fuera), Racing (en casa), Valencia (fuera), Athletic (en casa), Sevilla (fuera), Real Madrid (en casa) y Recreativo (fuera).

Valencia: Sevilla (en casa), Recreativo (en casa), Deportivo (fuera), Zaragoza (en casa), Mallorca (fuera), Villarreal (en casa), Zaragoza (en casa), Levante (fuera) y Real Sociedad (en casa).

Barcelona does seem to have the easiest schedule with only 2-3 teams from the top half and no direct opponent, but logic dictates quite a few things but not this season's Liga.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

La Liga run-in Empty Re: La Liga run-in

Post by fcb Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:34 am

I guess we're counting on guaranteed dropped points in all the matches in bold. It means that even in the worst case scenario for us, only one of our contenders can get maximum points.

But of course, we must get the points in our games, which we're not doing.
    Lard
    Lard

Number of posts : 3822
    Registration date : 2007-03-31

Post by Lard Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:52 am

I think you can take Zaragoza and Valencia out of the equation. With Seville in two other comps, and the most difficult fixtures I can see them dropping many points. So between Barca and Madrid. Barca really should win it, but seem to be a mess this season so I don’t know.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:57 am

This weekend was the first time I worried a little about Madrid's threat. Because they have a bit of momentum about them now, so that could make it dangerous. Hopefully their matches against Sevilla, Valencia, and Zaragoza bring them firmly back down to earth Twisted Evil
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:00 am

It would be the epitome of irony if Madrid still win the league under Capello. I'd laugh my arse off for sure, especially if that makes him stay for a few years longer.

No offence intended Madrid fans though.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:11 am

I don't know which I would feel more - disappointment or shock. It would be the lowest of lows, that's for sure.
    NCFC
    NCFC

Number of posts : 3485
    Supports : Cádiz C.F y Norwich City F.C

Post by NCFC Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:59 am

Racing away at the weekend. I think Madrid could be brought back down to earth.

Valencia. Why does the list show Zaragoza at home twice?
    I think I would still fancy them for a late charge if they beat Sevilla this weekend. A good chance at the Mestalla.
    Rosicky
    Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
    Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
    Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:03 am

hala madrid!
    Torrente
    Torrente

Number of posts : 5489
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by Torrente Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:20 am

blutgraetsche wrote:It would be the epitome of irony if Madrid still win the league under Capello. I'd laugh my arse off for sure, especially if that makes him stay for a few years longer.

Believe me, most Madrid fans feel this way. We know that we don't really deserve to win the league because we have been awful all season. But in the end, our opponents have been just as inconsistent as us and we have gotten many good results away from home, including against Barca and Valencia. And remember that for all their "great football", Barca has won the last 2 league titles with no real competition. When we were winning the league, we had to compete with Valencia, Deportivo, Barcelona, and even Real Sociedad in one season.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:45 pm

Torrente wrote:
    blutgraetsche wrote:It would be the epitome of irony if Madrid still win the league under Capello. I'd laugh my arse off for sure, especially if that makes him stay for a few years longer.

Believe me, most Madrid fans feel this way. We know that we don't really deserve to win the league because we have been awful all season. But in the end, our opponents have been just as inconsistent as us and we have gotten many good results away from home, including against Barca and Valencia. And remember that for all their "great football", Barca has won the last 2 league titles with no real competition. When we were winning the league, we had to compete with Valencia, Deportivo, Barcelona, and even Real Sociedad in one season.
    good point.
    also some parts of me would hate it if we won by playing so non-madrid type of football. but it would be nice we could get the 4 years of nothing out of the way and make it easier to handle by the board.
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:47 pm

Anyone could win it, Madrid have as good a chance as anyone
    Torrente
    Torrente

Number of posts : 5489
    Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by Torrente Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:15 pm

supermadrid(zizou legend) wrote:
    Torrente wrote:

good point.
    also some parts of me would hate it if we won by playing so non-madrid type of football. but it would be nice we could get the 4 years of nothing out of the way and make it easier to handle by the board.

I have the same feeling, but the fact that our opponents haven't done much better can certainly ease that feeling. For all their "magical football", Barca has really bottled it against the big teams in most games this season. Sevilla has given a new meaning to the word choking and so on.

Also, us going back to normal next year should make us forget our slep-inducing performances this season. I'm pretty confident Capello will get sacked no matter what.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Jaime Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:47 pm

Don't worry I will laugh too! Not a good sign for the blaugrana when the worst Real Madrid of the last 10 years can even beat them for the title.
    blutgraetsche
    blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
    Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:48 pm

I can see where you are coming from Madrid fans. If you look at it this way, it would be quite funny for you guys as well I guess. Very Happy
    Jaime
    Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:53 pm

But if you look at this way, yes we have played like shit for most of the season, but if we go on to win the title it will require us to win at least 2 out of 3 against Valencia, Sevilla, and Zaragoza. Let's say we win the two matches at home (Valencia & Sevilla). That would mean that we have beaten Valencia home and away, beaten Barcelona home and drawn away, beaten Sevilla and Zaragoza at home; that is a very good record against the top 4 and we have the best away record by far. We do have some championship credentials even though aesthetically we have been pathetic.
    La Saeta Rubia
    La Saeta Rubia

Number of posts : 5244
    Supports : Real Madrid

Post by La Saeta Rubia Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:38 pm

Barça will win it, they have the best calender, imo they will go 5 points ahead again this weekend.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:40 pm

I don't see us losing away to Racing...but the following week, at home against Valencia (no more CL distractions) could be trouble.
    golsud

Number of posts : 4869
    Supports : Barça

Post by golsud Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:42 pm

And after that you still have to play Sevilla at home and Zaragoza away.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:44 pm

cule wrote:And after that you still have to play Sevilla at home and Zaragoza away.

Sevilla have not been nearly so impressive in the segunda vuelta. And with Capello, I seriously think we can win away to Zaragoza. If we beat Valencia at home (assuming we don't f*ck up this weekend) I might really start to think we have a chance.
    La Saeta Rubia
    La Saeta Rubia

Number of posts : 5244
    Supports : Real Madrid

Post by La Saeta Rubia Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:46 pm

I dont see us beating Racing away, Zigic - Cannavaro could be very embarrassing (I'm having visions of Carew - Cannavaro)
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:51 pm

i think barca will drop points at villarreal and at atletico. how much i dont know. i think we will get 4 points out of the games with zaragoza,valencia,sevilla. if we get 6 im sure we will win the league but i cant see that happening.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:57 pm

La Saeta Rubia wrote:I dont see us beating Racing away, Zigic - Cannavaro could be very embarrassing (I'm having visions of Carew - Cannavaro)

Perhaps but we do have a good record in Santander. Our last 10 visits:

05/06 Racing 2 Real Madrid 3
    04/05 Racing 2 Real Madrid 3
    03/04 Racing 1 Real Madrid 1
    02/03 Racing 2 Real Madrid 0
    00/01 Racing 0 Real Madrid 0
    99/00 Racing 1 Real Madrid 1
    98/99 Racing 1 Real Madrid 3
    97/98 Racing 1 Real Madrid 2
    96/97 Racing 2 Real Madrid 2
    95/96 Racing 2 Real Madrid 0

Hopefully Munitis will play at the level he did when he played for us!
    Ricardo Jol
    Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
    Supports : FC Den Haag!
    Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:04 pm

I am a Barcelona "fan".... But something inside tells me I have to pray Sevilla wins it! Because, it is something new!
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:04 pm

Jaime wrote:
    La Saeta Rubia wrote:I dont see us beating Racing away, Zigic - Cannavaro could be very embarrassing (I'm having visions of Carew - Cannavaro)

Perhaps but we do have a good record in Santander. Our last 10 visits:

05/06 Racing 2 Real Madrid 3
    04/05 Racing 2 Real Madrid 3
    03/04 Racing 1 Real Madrid 1
    02/03 Racing 2 Real Madrid 0
    00/01 Racing 0 Real Madrid 0
    99/00 Racing 1 Real Madrid 1
    98/99 Racing 1 Real Madrid 3
    97/98 Racing 1 Real Madrid 2
    96/97 Racing 2 Real Madrid 2
    95/96 Racing 2 Real Madrid 0

Hopefully Munitis will play at the level he did when he played for us!
    was he really that bad? the only thing i can remember from him was when he got a penalty against lazio.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:13 pm

He used to terrorize us when he played with Racing (before) and then when we signed him he just was very average except for a few memorable moments. Probably in part because he was never playing regularly.
    NCFC
    NCFC

Number of posts : 3485
    Supports : Cádiz C.F y Norwich City F.C

Post by NCFC Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:40 pm

A very interesting game. Very hard to call. Its is even perhaps more interesting than the game from the Mestalla. I can see that being quite a boring affair.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:30 am

nCfC-CaDiZ wrote:A very interesting game. Very hard to call. Its is even perhaps more interesting than the game from the Mestalla. I can see that being quite a boring affair.

Same here. I think the two teams will be too exhausted both mentally and physically from their European games this week. But like LSR, I'm very interested in seeing the Cannavaro-Zigic battle. Casillas will have to be at his best.
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Number of posts : 7180
    Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by Oleguerisntthatbad Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:04 pm

Good fun trying to predict the remaining games:

http://marcawas5.recoletos.es/encuestaliga/Controlador

My predictions gave the following return:

1º Barcelona, con 78 puntos
    2º Sevilla, con 77 puntos
    3º Valencia, con 75 puntos
    4º Real Madrid, con 69 puntos
    5º Zaragoza, con 65 puntos

Close run thing!!!
    Jaime
    Jaime

Post by Jaime Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:54 pm

That's funny mine came out like this:

1º Real Madrid, con 81 puntos
    2º Barcelona, con 78 puntos
    3º Sevilla, con 69 puntos
    4º Valencia, con 67 puntos
    5º Zaragoza, con 65 puntos
    Oleguerisntthatbad

Number of posts : 7180
    Registration date : 2006-08-10