Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+36
TheCrazy58
Deano
golsud
Parks lives
Tweesus
Football Genius
Di Caniooooo!
DeLux
D-agger
Historicus
Sheffield gunner
Romford Pele
DS
Yef
L.r.d
110%
Calidad
Z
Machiavel
christmasborocooper
Roger Hunt
Fey
Deluded F*ck™
Glenarch of the Glen
Sgoater1
Chocolate Thunder
Pierre Littbarski
Cookie Monster
S4P
Batman
The Easter Bunny
fcb
Zack
COTR
Cesc Soler
Luis
40 posters

Liverpool Sign Keane on a 4 year deal

Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Liverpool Sign Keane on a 4 year deal Empty Liverpool Sign Keane on a 4 year deal

Post by Luis Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:24 pm

Robbie Keane has tonight put pen to paper on a 4-year deal at Liverpool Football Club.
    Fourteen years after turning down the club he grew up supporting in favour of Wolves, the Republic of Ireland captain finally completed a dream move following a medical at Melwood.

Keane is the fifth summer addition to Rafa Benitez's first-team squad after the arrival of David Ngog, Diego Cavalieri, Philipp Degen and Andrea Dossena.

The transfer is the sixth major move of a career which began with South Dublin side Crumlin United before the prodigious teenager burst onto the scene at Wolverhampton Wanderers in 1997.

A big-money move to top flight Coventry followed before Marcelo Lippi, manager of Italian giants Inter Milan, offered £13million for his services in 2000.

Keane would team up with Ronaldo and Christian Vieri in Serie A, though the move was to turn sour when Lippi was sacked.

A loan to Leeds United was arranged in December 2000, a deal made permanent six month later.

Unfortunately, Keane's arrival at Elland Road coincided with a growing financial crisis, and he was to join the exodus of stars in 2002 with a £7million transfer to Tottenham Hotspur.

Over the next few years the frontman, famed for his cartwheel goal celebration, finally settled, tallying an impressive 107 goals in 253 appearances and becoming a firm fans' favourite.

So good was his form in February 2006 that Inter president Massimo Moratti admitted his regret at letting Keane go.

Three months before departing for Merseyside he won his first senior honour as a player after helping Spurs beat Chelsea in the League Cup final.

The 28-year-old has also carved out a name for himself on the international stage having made up part of the so-called Golden Generation which emerged in the late 1990s.

The striker was part of the Irish side which triumphed in the 1998 European U18 Championships just months after making his senior bow against the Czech Republic.

His first international goal came against Malta in October 1998 and he is now the Republic's all-time record scorer ahead of Niall Quinn.

Keane famously scored a last-minute equaliser against Germany in the 2002 World Cup, one of three in the tournament.

Few were surprised when former Reds defender Steve Staunton handed him the captain's armband upon taking the Irish reins in 2006.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do we think about this transfer? Will he and Torres form a formidable partnership up front that can improve Liverpool's title hopes? or will the pressure get to Keane and he will be a flop?

I'm personally very excited to see how Keane and Torres will do together, I certainly wouldn't be too happy if I was a defender against them!

Last edited by Keane on Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
    Supports : Arsenal FC
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Liverpool Sign Keane on a 4 year deal Empty Re: Liverpool Sign Keane on a 4 year deal

Post by Cesc Soler Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:28 pm

It got the makings of a great partnership.

But doesn't it concern you that for the first time in Rafa's four years at the club you could be disposing of a system (4-2-3-1 from February?) that actually worked and brought the best out of numerous players. If Keane and possibly Barry arrive it looks like it will be back to 4-4-2.

Not so sure myself ...
    Luis
    Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Liverpool Sign Keane on a 4 year deal Empty Re: Liverpool Sign Keane on a 4 year deal

Post by Luis Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:32 pm

Cesc Soler wrote:It got the makings of a great partnership.

But doesn't it concern you that for the first time in Rafa's four years at the club you could be disposing of a system (4-2-3-1 from February?) that actually worked and brought the best out of numerous players. If Keane and possibly Barry arrive it looks like it will be back to 4-4-2.

Not so sure myself ...

I think the 4-2-3-1 was more because we didn't have a quality striking partner for Torres, Rafa didn't fancy Kuyt, Crouch or God forbid Voronin playing that role and so employed that system which as you say did seem to work, I think a 4-4-2 with Keane will be much more effective though, I don't think Barry will be signing now, so I'd guess something like:

-----------Reina----------

---Arbeloa----Carra----Agger--------Dossena----

--------Gerrard------Masch-------Alonso---------Babel----

-----------------Keane----------------Torres----------------

If Babel delivers the goods that's a pretty strong team, but that's a big IF and Arbeloa can look a little suspect at times. Alonso needs to recapture his form if he's given another chance here.
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by COTR Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:36 pm

Cesc Soler wrote:It got the makings of a great partnership.

Not so sure myself ...

He'll probably shove keane out to the wing

It gives rafa more options which is what he loves best. I can see this being his favoured team in the more important games this season

.................Reina

Carra....Skrtel....Agger...Dossena

............Alonso...Mascha
    ................Gerrard
    .......Kuyt................Keane
    .................Torres

I can't see us signing barry
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:38 pm

The system COTR has posted will be most likely away from home and in Europe, whilst the 4-4-2 will hopefully be used in the home games.
    Zack

Number of posts : 1571
    Supports : Tottenham Hotspur
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by Zack Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:50 pm

Although I am resigned to losing Keane, but this is the Telegraph and well it isn't a credible source. Nothing has been made official.....If he does move, I am hoping its around the 22 million region, we will certainly won't allow him to go cheaply..
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:51 pm

Great signing if true. "Game intelligence" indeed sums up Keane best Ale
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:54 pm

Zack wrote:Although I am resigned to losing Keane, but this is the Telegraph and well it isn't a credible source. Nothing has been made official.....If he does move, I am hoping its around the 22 million region, we will certainly won't allow him to go cheaply..

Lots of sources have said he's having his medical tomorrow, will be very surprised if he doesn't.
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson

Post by The Easter Bunny Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:59 pm

Lewis, you said he would be presented yesterday.
    Zack

Number of posts : 1571
    Supports : Tottenham Hotspur
    Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by Zack Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:01 pm

Keane has been my favourite player over the years. The most underrated player and technically brillliant, but he doesn't get the coverage he deserves..

I will be extremley gutted if he goes and only a fantasy signing of Etoo/Arshavin will appease me. (unlikely, but who knows)...

IF both Berbatov/Keane leaves, Keane will make the bigger impact out of the two....

But lets not get ahead of ourselves, both are still a Tottenham player and nothing has been made official..
    COTR
    COTR

Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:01 pm

The Easter Bunny wrote:Lewis, you said he would be presented yesterday last thursday
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:07 pm

I have inside sources at the club (classic lie on a forum I know) and they seem to think Keane will have his medical tomorrow - after all why would a Newspaper make up a medical without any truth whatsoever to go on? Keane has said he wants to move, we obviously spent the money that would be used on Barry to bid for him and Levy said 'his heart is turned' He will definately be a Liverpool player by the start of next season.
    Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Batman Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:46 pm

Gerrard . . Masch . . Alonso . . Babel

. . . . . . . . Keane . . . Torres

I don't think Super Stevie G will be to happy about playing RM.

When Gerrard plays AM (in the hole) and Torres plays upfront on his own you see a connection between the two players that you can only find in two gay lovers.

Kuyt showed at the Euros he can be a quality player if played in the right position/system.

Babel is no left winger.

. . . Masch . . Alonso

Kuyt . . Gerrard . . Babel

. . . . . . Torres

ok

How do you improve that front 6? sign a quality winger, e.g. Silva, Quaresma, etc...

I could be wrong but was Liverpools main problem last season their defence and not the front 6?

But i do think Keane and Torres will make a good partnership.

Jol did sometimes play Keane LW when he played Berbatov + Defoe upfront.
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea

Post by S4P Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:54 pm

Where else could Gerrard be played? Keane will look to drop into the space Gerrard was using when he was linking up with Torres.

This partnership could be better than you think. Smile Ale
    Cookie Monster
    Cookie Monster

Number of posts : 221
    Supports : manchester city and brighton
    Favourite Player : Micha richards.
    Registration date : 2008-07-27

Post by Cookie Monster Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:06 pm

I think it will be good. Kuyt just doesnt score and of late (in euros) has been used as more of a winger.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:09 pm

Along the M62, Liverpool will make their own high profile signing in Keane. The Republic of Ireland striker, 28, has agreed to a five-year deal believed to be worth £80,000 a week. He will travel to Anfield tomorrow for his medical, allowing Liverpool to unveil the player before the squad fly out to Spain for pre-season games on Tuesday.

Rafael Benitez, the Liverpool manager, has secured the striker he believes has the "game intelligence" to best complement the talentsphysical qualities of striker Fernando Torres. The deal had hit problems in the early stages after Daniel Levy, the Tottenham chairman, reported Liverpool to the Premier League for making their interest in Keane public.
    COTR
    COTR

Post by COTR Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:12 pm

I don't think Super Stevie G will be to happy about playing RM.

When Gerrard plays AM (in the hole) and Torres plays upfront on his own you see a connection between the two players that you can only find in two gay lovers.

Gerrard will play on the right, in the middle, on the left and as a second striker next season batman. He will start in the middle with lucas and mascha at the olympics. The only way he will be unhappy is if we are losing

Kuyt showed at the Euros he can be a quality player if played in the right position/system.

He also showed this in the CL last season and holland played him in exactly the same position we do but I'm hoping babel takes over from him

How do you improve that front 6? sign a quality winger, e.g. Silva, Quaresma, etc...

I could be wrong but was Liverpools main problem last season their defence and not the front 6?

But i do think Keane and Torres will make a good partnership.

Jol did sometimes play Keane LW when he played Berbatov + Defoe upfront.

We need another main forward after selling crouch. Keane can fit into quite a few roles and systems so he makes a quality flexible signing. I'm very happy with the squad as it is (assuming keane is signed) because I'm hoping agger will have the biggest influence on the way the team plays this season. With a fit agger and alonso we are instantly a far better side than we were last year and all the forwards are going to benefit from it
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Number of posts : 15804
    Supports : Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool
    Registration date : 2007-01-06

Post by Chocolate Thunder Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:13 pm

Some Irish reports are saying that thh deal won't be announced till Spurs find a replacement but yep, Keane has been to Liverpool and has agreed to sign for us is the main thing.

Fingers crossed all will/has gone well ok

Keane cheers

(I'm sure Glenn will be well chuffed Laughing )
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City

Post by Sgoater1 Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:22 pm

Keane will be a very good signing, also with the signings and Agger coming back the defence looks solid so they just need to sort out the midfield, Stevie G is not a right mid and needs to be played in the centre.
    COTR
    COTR

Post by COTR Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:32 pm

Sgoater1 wrote:Keane will be a very good signing, also with the signings and Agger coming back the defence looks solid so they just need to sort out the midfield, Stevie G is not a right mid and needs to be played in the centre.

Central midfield

Gerrard, alonso, lucas, Mascherano

Wingers / wide forwards

Gerrard, Keane, Kuyt, Yossi, Babel, Pennant

Gerrard had arguably his best season coming from the right but he'll be moved around to best suit the team

I think this is good enough. We were fine for goals last year. Defence was the main concern and with skrtel and agger and dossena now added this is hopefully fixed. It'll be about keeping the key players fit. If agger, alonso, gerrard, keane and torres are fit for the majority of the season the team is going to be great
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Post by Cesc Soler Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:39 pm

I know it isn't Keane related, but by looking at some XI's it seems Agger & Skrtel is a favoured pairing amonst Liverpool supporters with Carragher used at fullback.

Do you think Arbeloa will go back to Spain? I've seen it reported.

Also looking forward to seeing this Dossena, never really seen him, could be a Sagna type signing that really comes off well.
    Sgoater1
    Sgoater1

Number of posts : 11129
    Supports : Man City

Post by Sgoater1 Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:43 pm

COTR wrote:
    Sgoater1 wrote:Keane will be a very good signing, also with the signings and Agger coming back the defence looks solid so they just need to sort out the midfield, Stevie G is not a right mid and needs to be played in the centre.

Central midfield

Gerrard, alonso, lucas, Mascherano

Wingers / wide forwards

Gerrard, Keane, Kuyt, Yossi, Babel, Pennant

Gerrard had arguably his best season coming from the right but he'll be moved around to best suit the team

I think this is good enough. We were fine for goals last year. Defence was the main concern and with skrtel and agger and dossena now added this is hopefully fixed. It'll be about keeping the key players fit. If agger, alonso, gerrard, keane and torres are fit for the majority of the season the team is going to be great

You only have 2 real wide mids in Pennant and Yossi, you need to bring one in.
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Post by Cesc Soler Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:47 pm

Pennant might be off to Blackburn Rovers as well.

The answer?

Liverpool Sign Keane on a 4 year deal 0,,10303~3347906,00
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Post by Chocolate Thunder Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:54 pm

Cesc Soler wrote:I know it isn't Keane related, but by looking at some XI's it seems Agger & Skrtel is a favoured pairing amonst Liverpool supporters with Carragher used at fullback.

Do you think Arbeloa will go back to Spain? I've seen it reported.

Also looking forward to seeing this Dossena, never really seen him, could be a Sagna type signing that really comes off well.

Benítez may also be about to lose Álvaro Arbeloa, who was expected to start the new season as first-choice right back. Arbeloa has performed consistently since a £2.6million move from Deportivo La Coruña in January 2007, but it emerged yesterday that the 25-year-old plans to return to Spain for personal reasons. Benítez has two other options at right back, but, given that Steve Finnan has been offered to Villa as a makeweight in the Barry deal and that Philipp Degen is unproven, the loss of Arbeloa would be keenly felt. - Times

I'd be gutted if he went because he's a very useful player and has a great attitude. I worry about Degan. You get what your pay for and look at Voronin Rolling Eyes Sevilla were interested in Arbeloa (Spanish papers) as they'd lost both Alves and Boulharouz. That díed though when they signed Squillaci, Fernando Navarro and Konko I would have thought though 2 of them are CB's

There aren't many very good RB's out there at the moment and would assume that means Finnan staying.

If it is for personal reasons though not much can be done but its understandable.

Oliver Kay is usually clued in so I take it as, if a club in Spain comes in with a decent bid he'll be off sadly.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:57 pm

Cesc Soler wrote:Pennant might be off to Blackburn Rovers as well.

The answer?

Not a top 4 player - Liverpool have been trying for the wrong Villa player.
    Chocolate Thunder
    Chocolate Thunder

Post by Chocolate Thunder Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:59 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:
    Cesc Soler wrote:Pennant might be off to Blackburn Rovers as well.

The answer?

Not a top 4 player - Liverpool have been trying for the wrong Villa player.

Been saying that for ages now since we were first linked to Barry.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:59 pm

Keane is the most overrated stack of cack since Chevanton.

in recent years Spurs have taken the mantle of $h!t defense, over attacking underachievers. Playing up front for such a side pretty much guarantees you 20 goals a season.

Keane's only real outstanding talent in the current Spurs side is being the only offensive player not desperate to overrun the play.

If we pay £22m for him I'll be annoyed. If we pay £15m and title based bonus payments then I wont be quite so peeved.

Hopefully, talk of our financial disarray are a political stunt before we go out and sign 3 more players in the £18m bracket.

chins Ale
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:06 pm

I hope Arbeloa doesn't leave because then we're relying on Degen for the season. I don't know what's happening about Finnan but I assume he wont be too chuffed that his name was being linked to all sorts of clubs to try and get a midfielder in.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:07 pm

Glenn Hysén wrote:Keane is the most overrated stack of cack since Chevanton.

1 goal every 2 starts or better in Serie A, Ligue 1, Champions League and UEFA Cup = cack ok
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:10 pm

Franny Jeffers averages a goal every 45 minutes for England.

I don't rate Franny Jeffers either.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:33 am