Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+44
Murray
messiah
Sheffield gunner
Lordanger
forza_rossi
Cesc Soler
King Modric
mongrel hawk
MightyBarca
Black Magic
Matt_AFC
Super Progress
TM
christmasborocooper
shazlx
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!
BoBo Vieri 32
Allez les rouges
Kroos
blutgraetsche
COTR
S4P
Ricardo Jol
debaser
The Easter Bunny
Juligen
Pras_tama
Fey
Torrente
Xavier
Luis
abundance
TheCrazy58
stinger
Hem fet un..
Calidad
bluenine
Fade out
Hlebagone
Isco Benny
TITO
ronnies teeth
Jaime
fcb
48 posters

FC Barcelona - Campeones de España y Europa!

fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

FC Barcelona - Campeones de España y Europa! - Page 4 Empty Re: FC Barcelona - Campeones de España y Europa!

Post by fcb Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Well one of the main policies of the club implemented by Guardiola/Txiki and continued by Zubi, is that any players signed have to be grounded personalities with a stable life off the pitch. Neymar would go totally against that, which is why I think his signing is very unlikely.

Sanchez has a lot of hype about him this season. I've only seen him once or twice - very explosive player, a faster, more flair-y version of Pedro. But he's tiny, even by our standards! And based on reports that I've read, there's doubts over his ability to play a more cultured game when required...he's apparently too focused on just bursting forward directly to goal all the time.
    Hem fet un..

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

FC Barcelona - Campeones de España y Europa! - Page 4 Empty Re: FC Barcelona - Campeones de España y Europa!

Post by Hem fet un.. Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Well then the answer is my personal favourite pastore!
    Juligen
    Juligen

Number of posts : 2551
    Supports : FLAMENGO
    Registration date : 2006-08-21

Post by Juligen Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:23 pm

fcb wrote:Well one of the main policies of the club implemented by Guardiola/Txiki and continued by Zubi, is that any players signed have to be grounded personalities with a stable life off the pitch. Neymar would go totally against that, which is why I think his signing is very unlikely.

Its quite interesting reading those "european" comments on Neymar. I am reading some forums from england and spain and its so funny how the european media describe Neymar. Like he is this wild animal party lover who causes troubles and problems. Neymar is actually a fun and nice kid, he had ONE fight with his former manager, yet in the next day he was on tv apologizing. After that he never had a disciplinary problem ever. His team mates adore him, he never gets late at trainings, never is rude to journalists, on contrary, the media here is madly in love for him. It hard to explain Neymar, even tho I think Ganso is the more talented, Neymar is the show stopper. He reminds me a bit of Ronaldo in the way that he is a media magnet.

This week we had a Flamengo game on tv yet there I was watching the Santos game, I just wanted to see if he would do something magic and he didnt disappoint me.

I really hope he can go to Milan with Ganso, I think he would be happy in Italy.
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by The Easter Bunny Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:27 pm

fcb wrote:Well one of the main policies of the club implemented by Guardiola/Txiki and continued by Zubi, is that any players signed have to be grounded personalities with a stable life off the pitch. Neymar would go totally against that, which is why I think his signing is very unlikely.

Sanchez has a lot of hype about him this season. I've only seen him once or twice - very explosive player, a faster, more flair-y version of Pedro. But he's tiny, even by our standards! And based on reports that I've read, there's doubts over his ability to play a more cultured game when required...he's apparently too focused on just bursting forward directly to goal all the time.

FC Barcelona - Campeones de España y Europa! - Page 4 Zlatan_ibrahimovic_1460676c
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:46 pm

The Easter Bunny wrote:

FC Barcelona - Campeones de España y Europa! - Page 4 Zlatan_ibrahimovic_1460676c

Exactly. In pursuit of the Plan B that everyone suddenly insists Barça need, they made an exception to their own policy, and paid for it. Ibrahimovic's signing will only re-emphasize to Zubi that he has to look for sensible heads.

@Juligen: it's interesting to read your post...I suppose it shows that the European media (and us fans) still don't know much about Neymar. As you say, the couple of isolated incidents, combined with his ridiculous hair, don't exactly give an impression of a "normal" guy. Plus the wholly unnecessary drama about the banana during the Scotland game.
    abundance
    abundance

Number of posts : 1514
    Supports : FC Inter
    Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:50 pm

Pastore:
    I think he's currently the most sensible buy market-wise because he's not at the peak of the hype like Sanchez - he started the season very brightly but then faded a bit, and his team had a rather disappointing season in the end.

Also Zamparini is not such a tough seller like Pozzo, he tends to cash in quickly when showed the money - think Cavani, Toni, and many others.
    I suppose you can get him cheaper than both Sanchez and Rossi

IMHO he's the classiest among them, and tactically he can add more to your squad as he's a pure trequartista, a role you don't have covered (k there's Afellay but he's more an attacking midfielder), unlike Sanchez/Rossi who are more like-to-like slot-ins for Messi/Pedro.

At the same time he's the riskiest choice: he needs to be the focus of the attacking play to give his best, physically he's lightweight, and he still has frequent lapses in his game, he disappears or indulges too much in narcisism.
    I think it's still 50/50 for him to become the best trequartista of his generation rather than simply a luxury player.

Sanchez:
    He's short but he's not tiny, he's way more muscular than Rossi who's just 5cm taller btw.
    He's mostly recognized for his bursts but he can pass and read the game as well, I can assure you that he's not one-dimensional.

Tactically it's not clear at this point if he's best suited to start from the wing or from the middle, but I don't think it's an issue with Barca's attacking style.

Looking at his development in his three years at Udine, he's just ready for prime time.
    The only drawback is the shitload of money that Pozzo would extort you for him.

Rossi:
    The safest buy, not that he's got any more top-level experience than Sanchez but for some reason he looks like to have consistency and trustability written all over him.
    Anyway IMHO he's got the less potential of the three.
    I rate him, like the guy, but I've never been really excited by him.
    I think at your level you just can't expect anything more than a fine squad player from him, and his pricetag is a bit hefty for that.

Summing it up, I'd go for Sanchez, then Pastore, then Rossi, but I really really hope you do just the opposite as I want Sanchez in nerazzurro next year (and Pastore in a couple of year to replace Snejider if he delivers). =D
    abundance
    abundance

Post by abundance Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:12 pm

Ah, Neymar: looks great but for what concerns me I'm gonna take any under 21 brazilian with a big price tag with a quintuple grain of salt.

Skill is not disputed and it's not a matter of bad reputation, it's just that to make it to the top of the current european game you need to be very mature, professional and ambitious, and the hype on young brazilians gets in the way of this a lot.

Clubs are endlessly searching for the new Pelè, Romario or Ronaldo, but when the price is already over 20 or 30 millions it's just not worth the gamble.

Especially for a club like Barca, which has the budget and the prestige to pry a 22/23 estabilished star from the hands of any club in Europe (well, bar Real).
    Juligen
    Juligen

Post by Juligen Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:35 pm

abundance wrote:Ah, Neymar: looks great but for what concerns me I'm gonna take any under 21 brazilian with a big price tag with a quintuple grain of salt.

Skill is not disputed and it's not a matter of bad reputation, it's just that to make it to the top of the current european game you need to be very mature, professional and ambitious, and the hype on young brazilians gets in the way of this a lot.

Clubs are endlessly searching for the new Pelè, Romario or Ronaldo, but when the price is already over 20 or 30 millions it's just not worth the gamble.

Especially for a club like Barca, which has the budget and the prestige to pry a 22/23 estabilished star from the hands of any club in Europe (well, bar Real).

I understand your point.The longer he stays in Brazil the better for me, I cant remember the last time I got so excited to watch a player like him, I have no doubt that he would be the player to lead Brazil team from now on. Him and Ganso.
    abundance
    abundance

Post by abundance Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:09 pm

How's Ganso fitness after the latest injury?
    He really looks a finished product but two serious injuries on the same knee so early in the career are always scary...
    Juligen
    Juligen

Post by Juligen Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:46 pm

abundance wrote:How's Ganso fitness after the latest injury?
    He really looks a finished product but two serious injuries on the same knee so early in the career are always scary...

He is playing quite well, he seems fit for games, the problem is that his agents announced that he wants to go to europe and hell brok loose, the fans call him mercenary now and he is dealing with much pressure. He will be at Milan by august we all think. He is such elegant player.
    TITO
    TITO

Number of posts : 3155
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by TITO Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:31 am

Masch is the new Black!
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:42 am

He's been awesome Ale

As I've said repeatedly, his comfort on the ball and passing ability has been the biggest and most pleasant surprise about his signing, along with his humble and "team-player" personality. Fantastic.
    TITO
    TITO

Post by TITO Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:29 pm

It's his height that will probably prevent him ( i dont know how tall is Puyol) from becoming our new leader in the defense.
    I definitely want him to start instead of Busquets as a DM in the upcoming games since Puyol is probably back to the squad.
    Hem fet un..

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by Hem fet un.. Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:54 pm

Masche and Valdes definitely the MoM against Osasuna.. Just a shame "wasting" Masche in central defence.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:48 pm

Here we go then...the much talked about (mostly by Messiah) Gerrard Deulofeu is included in the squad of 19 players that will travel to San Sebastien for the game against La Real this weekend. Doubt he'll make his debut, but interesting that he's been fast-tracked, having hardly featured with the B team.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
    Supports : Hibernian FC
    Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:44 pm

fcb wrote:Here we go then...the much talked about (mostly by Messiah) Gerrard Deulofeu is included in the squad of 19 players that will travel to San Sebastien for the game against La Real this weekend. Doubt he'll make his debut, but interesting that he's been fast-tracked, having hardly featured with the B team.

Squad in full:

Valdés, Pinto, Alves, Piqué, Xavi, Montoya, Villa, Messi, Mascherano, Keita, Thiago, Sergio, Pedro, Milito, Afellay, Jeffren, Fontàs, Sergi Roberto, Gerard Deulofeu

I think Alves (after that horrific tackle Very Happy ) Xavi, Villa, Messi should be rested. Maybe Valdes too as Pinto now isn't available for the CL.

Interesting that Puyol isn't named. I imagine he wasn't fully fit for the Classico but was wheeled out (and done very well)

------------Pinto
    Montoya--Pique--Fontas--Milito
    -----------Busquets
    --------Thiago--Afellay
    ----Pedro----Villa----Jeffren

Would like to see Afellay get some minutes in his best position, as an AM/CM. And I think Jeffren merits a start too. Villa would ideally be rested, but I think he's more in need of goals than rest, and Messi aside there isn't another CF in the squad.

However, I imagine Keita + one of Messi/Xavi will start.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Post by Calidad Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:45 pm

Btw, does anyone think Falcao would be a good purchase? I think he'd be excellent, but perhaps a little bit too expensive? I mentioned him a week or so ago, but I think this even more now.

Post by Guest Tue May 03, 2011 9:33 pm

just noticed abidal is back in the squad, could he be back for the final?.
    TITO
    TITO

Post by TITO Tue May 03, 2011 9:59 pm

Of course, he trained normally so he only needs some training sessions and some minutes against Espanyol and Levante and he will be fit. No doubt about that.
    And some people are forgetting that we havent started our strongest line up in ages.
    It's totally different story with Abidal, Puyol, Pique and Alves in our back line.
    Anyway - we are in the finals of the CL!!!!!!
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Tue May 03, 2011 10:17 pm

Yes, that back 4 has the ideal combination of pace, height, and ability on the ball.

So most probably it'll be Man. Utd. in the final. On paper, Barça will be big favourites. And I would predict us to win...better in midfield, individual skill in attack to get past the Man. Utd. defenders (esp. whoever is at RB), and hopefully the first choice back 4 to keep tabs on Rooney and Nani. But let's not forget 1994.

Post by Guest Tue May 03, 2011 10:25 pm

i'm worrid about Fernandez
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Tue May 03, 2011 10:30 pm

Yes, and Valencia's crossing (esp. if Valdes comes, or doesn't come, or comes, or doesn't come...for them). But the idea is that if the midfield can keep the ball and not give Man. Utd. too many chances to counter, they can't create that much. Plus Hernandez will have a real test to play against a defensive line as high as Barça's. His usually excellent movement will have to be even better to stay onside.
    TITO
    TITO

Post by TITO Tue May 03, 2011 10:36 pm

I dont know but i think RM was a bigger threat for us than MU, i might be wrong but RM is a better team than them if it only wasnt for Special Five's cowardliness.
    We have a better midfield, better attack and with our back four in the starting line up, same or better defense.
    I know we will be favorite, but i just want us to play the game that we use to play and win the god damn thing.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Tue May 03, 2011 11:40 pm

fcb wrote:Yes, and Valencia's crossing (esp. if Valdes comes, or doesn't come, or comes, or doesn't come...for them). But the idea is that if the midfield can keep the ball and not give Man. Utd. too many chances to counter, they can't create that much. Plus Hernandez will have a real test to play against a defensive line as high as Barça's. His usually excellent movement will have to be even better to stay onside.

Would've thought he'd prefer a high line, gives more space behind for people to play him in.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Wed May 04, 2011 5:57 am

True, but some strikers - Villa, Inzaghi, often Etoo - tend to struggle with that, and can't stay onside. It'll be interesting to see what happens, if he does start.
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
    Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone Wed May 04, 2011 11:22 pm

I know most Barca fan's egos are already an ample size, but this is a pretty interesting video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIw-J60gsZM&t=1m40s

Two thoughts:

- Credit to Pep, as I think he is actually a very astute tacticain, and really drills different techniques into his players, even if the end result looks very creative and spontaneous, the goals are often part of a training routine.How many times have we seen a deep run from Alves creating the chance.

- Messi's failure at the world cup. He is amazing, obviously, but the intelligent runs from the Barca players give him that extra split second on the ball, an extra bit of space from the edge of the area where he can place his shot. He didn't have this for Argentina, so was having to rely on his own brilliance more. he didnt have any space created for him.
    Calidad
    Calidad

Post by Calidad Tue May 10, 2011 2:53 pm

Am I still the only one who thinks Villa is being wasted as a LW? I think there's a problem when you spend 40m on a striker and convert him into a faux-winger.

Play him central and his form will pickup. Currently he is doing far too much running, and as a result he is lacking sharpness up front.

Pedro should be the LWF. Villa should play as the CF. Let Messi roam, Alves is almost a one man wing anyway.

Any truth to the Sanchez rumours btw?

fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Tue May 10, 2011 7:43 pm

Well there's no doubt he's ended up a bit wider than initially expected. I thought he'd play his Valencia/Spain role where he used to drift in from the left channel anyway. He started like that, but in recent months has become more of a winger, like you say.

Still, I don't see what other choice Guardiola has - do you play one of the best players of all time in the role where he can do the most damage, or do you reduce his effectiveness by moving him to the right so that Villa can play central? Letting Messi roam in central areas won't quite work either, he'll just get in Villa's way and crowd the middle even more. And Pedro isn't really comfortable on the left...yes, he's more or less two-footed, but still favours his right for dribbling and shooting.

In theory it sounds like it could work beautifully with everybody interchanging merrily and creating havoc...but as Hleb pointed out above, Pep's style is attacking and pretty, but very deliberate. There's no "go out there and have fun" about this. The set patterns and combinations are very clear to see.

Re. Sanchez, the story is that his agent/s met with Barça representatives in a hotel last week. No idea whether that was just to get an idea of the market, or if they are really on the way to a transfer. But it does seem to be true that Sanchez/Neymar/Rossi are the shortlist of 3, from which one will be chosen as the attacker reinforcement for next season. My vote goes for Rossi, but Abundance made a pretty good post a page or two ago explaining the pros/cons of each of the three.

Cesc and a defender (CB or RB) will presumably be the other two targets. And apparently the club is close to signing some 20 year old Argentinian keeper called Andrade...he'll spend a year with the B team, then replace Pinto as Valdes' backup.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Jaime Tue May 10, 2011 7:55 pm

fcb wrote:Well there's no doubt he's ended up a bit wider than initially expected. I thought he'd play his Valencia/Spain role where he used to drift in from the left channel anyway. He started like that, but in recent months has become more of a winger, like you say.

Still, I don't see what other choice Guardiola has - do you play one of the best players of all time in the role where he can do the most damage, or do you reduce his effectiveness by moving him to the right so that Villa can play central? Letting Messi roam in central areas won't quite work either, he'll just get in Villa's way and crowd the middle even more. And Pedro isn't really comfortable on the left...yes, he's more or less two-footed, but still favours his right for dribbling and shooting.

In theory it sounds like it could work beautifully with everybody interchanging merrily and creating havoc...but as Hleb pointed out above, Pep's style is attacking and pretty, but very deliberate. There's no "go out there and have fun" about this. The set patterns and combinations are very clear to see.

Re. Sanchez, the story is that his agent/s met with Barça representatives in a hotel last week. No idea whether that was just to get an idea of the market, or if they are really on the way to a transfer. But it does seem to be true that Sanchez/Neymar/Rossi are the shortlist of 3, from which one will be chosen as the attacker reinforcement for next season. My vote goes for Rossi, but Abundance made a pretty good post a page or two ago explaining the pros/cons of each of the three.

Cesc and a defender (CB or RB) will presumably be the other two targets. And apparently the club is close to signing some 20 year old Argentinian keeper called Andrade...he'll spend a year with the B team, then replace Pinto as Valdes' backup.

Now if you would ask Van Gaal then he would say "Move him to the f*cking right wing!!!!!" There was the same debate more or less with Rivaldo (who played centrally with Brazil and Deportivo) but crazy Louie stuck him out on the wing. He still scored loads of goals, still had loads of assists, and even became WPOTY playing out on the wing (which VG was quick to remind him off in later seasons when Rivaldo's moaning about playing wide got worse and worse). I don't really think it would be "reducing" Messi's effectiveness. He might score fewer goals. But it is not as though Messi did not score goals before he became a 'false 9'. Personally I think Messi is more capable of playing wide than Villa and my suspicion is that playing Villa centrally would at least offset any decline in Messi's own goalscoring. But I think what it comes down to is that Messi likes playing in the middle and Pep is happy enough to not stir up trouble. It is easier to tell Villa to go play wide than to risk upsetting Messi.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Tue May 10, 2011 8:06 pm

Well, it's not just goals...Messi is unbeatable with the ball at feet. His dribbling is good enough to create space (which Villa and co. can exploit) no matter what opposition and what system Barça are facing.
    r
    So with that in mind, let me put it another way: do you put Messi in the middle where he can move in 360 degrees, or do you put him on the ight where he can only move 270 degrees? I still remember how everyone used to criticise him for being so predictable because he always cut across into the middle, and many managers (incl. Mourinho and Benitez) figured out it was pretty easy to stop him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:12 pm