Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
Brian 2468
DD
Jaime
christmasborocooper
shazlx
Luis
Axeslammer
Pierre Littbarski
Antarion
ERIK LAMELA
110%
BoBo Vieri 32
Murray
debaser
Effenberg
Di Caniooooo!
mongrel hawk
The Chosen Glenn
Fey
Super Progress
Kimbo
25 posters

2014 World Cup - Group Stages

Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

2014 World Cup - Group Stages - Page 5 Empty Re: 2014 World Cup - Group Stages

Post by Fey Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:26 pm

I was too young, dont remember 1990, I believe I didnt care back then. Or was still playing with my own shit. I cried in 1994 I believe.. in 1998 I believe I raged..then I stopped supporting Holland.

Funny that for Hollland its easier to survive the group...then for Dutch clubs to survive the group of the Europa League never mind the CL.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
    Supports : Corinthians
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:45 pm

Fey wrote:I was too young, dont remember 1990, I believe I didnt care back then. Or was still playing with my own shit. I cried in 1994 I believe.. in 1998 I believe I raged..then I stopped supporting Holland.

So Brazil fucked up your early football years...  lol! 
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:47 pm

The earliest WC I remember was 1986. I didn't care at the time, but I was begining to take interest. I remember my parents' friends coming to our flat to watch the games, the day we beat Poland 4-0 and Zico losing the penalty against France and the adults all around me screming in dispair.
    Antarion
    Antarion

Number of posts : 3382
    Supports : Germany, Bayern
    Favourite Player : Müller, Neuer and Schürrle
    Registration date : 2008-04-11

Post by Antarion Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:05 pm

Haha nice backflashs guys Ale

My first things i remember were the wc win 1990 but i was too young to realize whats going on or why everyone was celebrating. my grandmother was at our house to look at my brother and me...while my parents where out celebrating. we were jumping in front of the tv like mad. my grandmother yelling at us to calm down hahaha

1994 I was an argentina supporter  Yikes 
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:26 pm

Antarion wrote:Haha nice backflashs guys Ale

My first things i remember were the wc win 1990 but i was too young to realize whats going on or why everyone was celebrating. my grandmother was at our house to look at my brother and me...while my parents where out celebrating. we were jumping in front of the tv like mad. my grandmother yelling at us to calm down hahaha

Why?  Shocked 
    Fey
    Fey

Post by Fey Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:50 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:
    Fey wrote:I was too young, dont remember 1990, I believe I didnt care back then. Or was still playing with my own shit. I cried in 1994 I believe.. in 1998 I believe I raged..then I stopped supporting Holland.

No ajax did...

Believe me, I have become immune to football loses of my teams over the years....hell in 2010, my nation lost a wc final, Fey got humiliated 10-0 and lost a double cup-final(ffs a final playing twice..lol) against the jews.

Still, I thought this was poetic justice/Circle of Life

I love how he remembers 2006 as well..my parents tried that trick on me too. For kids elimination is awful, for them 2 or 4 years is a long time.
    Antarion
    Antarion

Post by Antarion Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:04 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:

Why?  Shocked 

Hahaha. My first shirt was a Batistuta shirt. Later I got Romario too. Only later on I became a real german supporter.

The reason? Well thats pretty strange tbf. I wasn't that interested in football in my early years - until I played Nintendo World Cup  lol! lol!  That game got me totally hooked up with football and somehow argentina was my favourite team here.

Fuck, thats so strange  Biggrin But when i was in the real game and became a player myself I got on the right way  <Ale> 
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:09 pm

Fey wrote:
    mongrel hawk wrote:

No ajax did...

Believe me, I have become immune to football loses of my teams over the years....hell in 2010, my nation lost a wc final, Fey got humiliated 10-0 and lost a double cup-final(ffs a final playing twice..lol) against the jews.

Still, I thought this was poetic justice/Circle of Life

I love how he remembers 2006 as well..my parents tried that trick on me too. For kids elimination is awful, for them 2 or 4 years is a long time.

lol! 

That was me with my mother in 1990. She tried to make me feel better. My father though, who thought 1990 Brazil was shite, began to laugh at me and decided to take the family to eat Argentine barbecue... hahaha

by the way, when he says "the judge" (in Portuguese, ref and judge are the same word) it should be the ref. Other than thart, the translation is pretty good. You see, Fey, that Jap fuck became a villain in Brazil after that game.

Last edited by mongrel hawk on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:12 pm

Antarion wrote:
    mongrel hawk wrote:

Why?  Shocked 

Hahaha. My first shirt was a Batistuta shirt. Later I got Romario too. Only later on I became a real german supporter.

The reason? Well thats pretty strange tbf. I wasn't that interested in football in my early years - until I played Nintendo World Cup  lol! lol!  That game got me totally hooked up with football and somehow argentina was my favourite team here.

Fuck, thats so strange  Biggrin  But when i was in the real game and became a player myself I got on the right way  <Ale> 

I hated Argentina after 1990 for a long time (as most Brazilians). With time, I began to admire their football.
    Murray
    Murray

Number of posts : 10245

Post by Murray Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:26 pm

The first World Cup game I remember is Scotland - Peru in 1978. There had been a huge amount of hype about us and we thought we were going to thrash the Peruvians easily. It turned out to be a complete shambles.

But we did beat the Dutchies in our last game.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:35 pm

Murray wrote:The first World Cup game I remember is Scotland - Peru in 1978. There had been a huge amount of hype about us and we thought we were going to thrash the Peruvians easily. It turned out to be a complete shambles.

But we did beat the Dutchies in our last game.

And Peru qualified first, ahead of Holland, to let the Argentines buy them and kick Brazil out.

Yo, Puro!!!!!!11111
    Brian 2468

Number of posts : 1054
    Registration date : 2011-08-08

Post by Brian 2468 Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:08 pm

Leading up to 1970 WC we collected all theses memorabilia coins at gas stations it was a great collection. Watched every game I could at the time it was brilliant. Brazil were at there best and England were not half bad. Gordon Banks did (stomach bug) not play against Germany otherwise we would of won.....Peter Bonetti just could not do the business.

christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by christmasborocooper Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:39 pm

'94 final is the first game I really remember seeing.. Though I'm sure I saw plenty before it. The penalty shootout really stuck with me. And I got to stay up late to watch.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:06 am

1994 was my 1st.

Henrik Larsson with his dreadlocks, Stoichkov, the emergence of Nigeria, Ireland beating Italy, Letchkov's diving header against Germany, Romario + Bebeto, Salenko 5 vs Cameroon, Baggio carrying Italy, Ireland beating Italy, Rahidi yekini shaking the net, Colombia being favourites going in (Escobar og)... and of course a coked-up Maradona screaming into the camera.
    Di Caniooooo!

Number of posts : 10829
    Supports : West Ham
    Favourite Player : Paolo Di Canio, Moore, Hurst, Peters
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Di Caniooooo! Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:55 am

Deluded F*ck™ wrote:1994 was my 1st.

Henrik Larsson with his dreadlocks, Stoichkov, the emergence of Nigeria, Ireland beating Italy, Letchkov's diving header against Germany, Romario + Bebeto, Salenko 5 vs Cameroon, Baggio carrying Italy, Ireland beating Italy, Rahidi yekini shaking the net, Colombia being favourites going in (Escobar og)... and of course a coked-up Maradona screaming into the camera.

Man, when he peed into that cup, it must have melted the plastic.
    Antarion
    Antarion

Post by Antarion Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:54 am

Yes 94..you never forget your first love. Also remember most of those things above. Baggios haircut. Argentina starting furious into the tournament only barling going through in the end as 3rd losing maradona and then without him going out against a mediocre romania side.

mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:55 am

Antarion wrote:

Yes 94..you never forget your first love. Also remember most of those things above. Baggios haircut. Argentina starting furious into the tournament only barling going through in the end as 3rd losing maradona and then without him going out against a mediocre romania side.

That Romania side was awesome IMO!

They were the Colombia of this WC, and Hagi was James Rodriguez.
    Antarion
    Antarion

Post by Antarion Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:56 am

mongrel hawk wrote:
    Antarion wrote:

Yeah you are probably right. They were as good as never before. Must have thought on another team probably.
    ERIK LAMELA
    ERIK LAMELA

Number of posts : 1552
    Registration date : 2012-04-11

Post by ERIK LAMELA Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:32 am

Very beautiful Argentinian women in that Maradona video.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:06 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:
    Antarion wrote:
    Deluded F*ck™️ wrote:1994 was my 1st.

Raducoiu was a really good striker too I think he ended up going to Milan after the World Cup.

I remember my dad watching the 86 final but I didn't pay too much attention. 1990 was the first one for me. I loved the Cameroon team that year! And Baggio (that goal against Czechoslovakia)! Lots of penalty shootouts. Rijkaard spitting on Voeller. Gazza crying. Maradona crying. Good times. Ale
    Fey
    Fey

Post by Fey Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:59 pm

SBN wrote:Australia gave us Tim Cahill's goal
    The wondrous turn-and-volley executed by James Rodríguez drove Tim Cahill's goal against Netherlands right out of most people's minds. But this goal deserves to be remembered; in fact, it deserves to be savored. Just a minute after Arjen Robben put Holland ahead, here came Cahill, screaming up the left. It looked as though the long ball from Ryan McGowan would be nothing more than speculative, but Cahill stuck out his left foot, smashing the ball toward goal, where it struck the crossbar before dropping into the back of the net. An absolutely gorgeous goal, and a fantastic way for the 34-year-old to mark what was likely his last game with the Socceroos.

Spain gave someone else a chance
    Many thought Spain - cup holders and winners of back-to-back European Championships - were beatable this time around. But very few imagined that they'd be the second side eliminated from the tournament. An aging squad were unable to play the possession-based game that had made Spain nearly invincible. Shoehorning a still-hurting Diego Costa into the squad did little to change matters. This team deserves to be remembered for the way they changed the game, but it was time they backed away and let others have their chance at the spotlight.

England got Luis Suárez sent home
    Wait, wait, you're thinking of Italy.
    No. It was the English media that lead the vicious campaign against Suárez, prompting FIFA to ban him for nine games and four months, and thus dumping Uruguay out of the World Cup. In a way, it's good that their fantastic smear campaign worked. Otherwise, there'd still be plenty of attention being focused on what went wrong this time around, on why even bringing the kids didn't manage to reverse England's poor fortunes. It was all a bit of genius on the part of the English media, really.

Bosnia and Herzegovina will revel in the blushes of youth
    Bosnia were the only debutantes at the 2014 World Cup, but they've got the talent to be right back on the biggest stage four years from now. It's easy to place some of the blame for their early exit on wide-eyed naivete: Sead Kolašinac scored an own goal just three minutes into their first game, Muhamed Bešić was tasked with stopping Lionel Messi. Yet, despite being just 21 years of old, both were among the brightest of the bunch. In fact, it was the old legs of Emir Spahic and Zvjezdan Misimović that caused the most problems. Bringing in a new coach that nurtures the young talent and knows how to get the most out of 24-year-old Miralem Pjanic could well make this side one to be reckoned with.

Cameroon provided a brief moment of excitement
    For two minutes on June 23, the world held its breath. Cameroon had scored their first goal of the tournament, but were trailing Brazil 3-1. Meanwhile, Mexico were up 3-0 on Croatia. One wrong move, and it was Mexico going through on top of Group A, not the hosts. But then Croatia scored, and Brazil scored, and Cameroon faded away once more. Their 2014 tournament will be remembered not for their play - except, perhaps, its poorness - but for their refusal to get on the plane to Brazil and the allegations that they were involved in fixing the match against Croatia.

Croatia bared their bottoms
    This entry should've been about the brilliance of Ivan Rakitic and Luka Modric. Instead, Niko Kovač shoehorned his most talented players into the side, creating a situation in which the playmakers seemed to cancel each other out. And with the 4-0 win over Cameroon now being investigated to determine if any match-fixing occurred, that leaves us most missing Croatia's nude photos. The peeping pap caught the players frolicking naked in the swimming pool, giving fans around the world the chance to glimpse the fine figure of a few honed athletes.

Italy gave us Andrea Pirlo, Italy will take away Andrea Pirlo
    Pirlo, 35, has waffled over whether he'll be giving up international football. But, despite the midfielder often appearing more like a god than a mere mortal, it's still almost certain that we've seen him play his last World Cup - a realization made all the more sad not just with the way Italy exited the tournament, but with their play while in Brazil. Pirlo may not have been able to bail his side out this time around, but the midfield maestro will be forever remembered for his silky-sweet passes and dazzling free kicks. That, and his unerring sense of style.

Japan had the best fans
    Any fans can get themselves on the cameras by displaying silly headgear or painting their bodies like a flag. Japan's fans, however, brought garbage bags to the stadiums so they could clean up after themselves. Even after watching their side bore everyone by failing to overcome ten-man Greece, the fans stuck around to tidy up the Estádio das Dunas. Plus they had at least a few fans dressed as Pikachu. It doesn't make up for us being sorely disappointed by Alberto Zaccheroni sucking all the fun from this side, but hey, it's something.

Ivory Coast maybe, just maybe, were cheated
    A soft touch from Giovanni Sio on Georgios Samaras sent the attacker flying, setting up a last minute penalty for Greece. Samaras fired home, thus setting up the "Match With No End" between Costa Rica and Greece. While les elephants likely have a right to feel a bit indignant at the call, they also squandered opportunities to take the lead late in the second half, so it's hard to feel too sorry for them. It's rather sad, though, that a team with this much potential - Didier Drogba, Yaya Touré, Gervinho - has consistently underwhelmed in major tournaments.

Iran introduced Reza Ghoochannejhad
    Iran managed just one goal in Brazil, and it was scored by the man with the amazing nickname. "Gucci", as he's called, simply tapped it past Asmir Begovic, so it wasn't as though he astonished the world with his maneuvers. He did, however, put on a great display against Argentina, linking up well with Askhan Dejagah and forcing Sergio Romero into a couple of fine saves. Newly introduced to this Iran side, the 25-year-old may well be the one leading them to their next World Cup.

Honduras united (almost) all in contempt
    A major tournament often divides the football-loving population, forcing them to choose sides and exchange not-so-witty insults with those living outside their country's borders. But each time Honduras took the field, the entire world - save about eight million or so - was united as one. Those 270 minutes of unity were brought about by a near-universal loathing for the Honduras style. The players seemed to target the opposition's limbs rather than the ball, and in fact never seemed all that interested in trying to win a match. They finished with exactly one goal.

Ecuador expanded our knowledge of Valencias
    Ecuador couldn't manage more than a point at the World Cup - although at least they earned that by shutting out France - but they did give Enner Valencia a bigger stage on which to shine. The 25-year-old actually began his career as a right-back before being moved up top, where he flourished last season, scoring 18 goals for Mexico side Pachuca. Indeed he scored each of Ecuador's three goals in the tournament, from a header to put Ecuador in front over Switzerland to a toe poke to equalize against Honduras to another header to give them the win. Now who's Antonio, again?

Ghana showed us how to regroup
    There was plenty of behind-the-scenes drama happening in the Ghana camp. First, the players demanded payment of monies owed, threatening not to play their final group stage match against Portugal. Then came the sendings home of Sulley Muntari and Kevin-Prince Boateng, amid accusations of training ground arguments and physical altercations. With just one point going into the final game, the Black Stars could probably be forgiven for just passing the ball around a bit, knowing they'd probably not manage to get to the next round. Instead they pressed forward, hoping to combine a U.S. loss with their own win, but never managed the equalizer, much less the winner.

Portugal introduced the concept of a loving head-nudge
    Cristiano Ronaldo failed to do much of anything at this tournament, and as such, Portugal failed to do much of anything. But we'll always remember Pepe's gentle nuzzling of Thomas Müller. In the 37th minute of Portugal's opening match, with Germany already up 2-0, Pepe and Thomas Müller tussled for the ball. The frustrated defender flung an arm at Müller, who reacted rather theatrically, going to ground while clutching his face. Pepe raced over in a touching show of concern, leaned down, and lovingly nuzzled Müller's head. The ref, however, did not see the incident in such a forgiving light, and pulled out the red card.

South Korea became the (sort of) comeback kids
    Picture it: it's the second match of the group stages. In the first, you only managed a draw, and that was really more down to goalkeeper error than anything else. Now, the whistle has gone for the second half and you're already down 3-0. The next game is against group leaders Belgium. In other words, why bother? But South Korea bothered. In the 50th minute, Son Heung Min put them back within two goals, and although Yacine Brahimi restored Algeria's advantage twelve minutes later, Koo Jacheol went ahead and put in another one for South Korea. Thanks for the thrills, boys.

Russia ... host the party next time
    Go on, try to think of a positive for Russia. Yes, perhaps you laughed at Igor Akinfeev's huge howler against South Korea, but that doesn't really count as a positive for Russia. Fabio Capello gave us another glimpse of his dull, dreary ways, with his side scoring just two in three games. The good news is, they're the hosts next time around. That's got to mean they'll give us something special. Right? Right???

Chile allowed us to revel in beautiful chaos
    Chile made it easy to delight in football again. Jorge Sampaolo brought back the teachings of revered coach Marcelo Bielsa, but took them even further, encouraging his Chile side to constantly press high up the pitch, to always be searching for a goal. Arturo Vidal was always ready to shield the admittedly shaky backline, but he could help build the attacks as well, giving the likes of Charles Aránguiz, Edu Vargas and Alexis Sánchez the freedom to constantly swarm the goal.

Uruguay made us sigh
    It's next to impossible to come up with a positive moment to describe this Uruguay side. They were unable to do much of anything without Luis Suárez, and then managed to beat England with him in the side. He then destroyed everything with his bite on Giorgio Chielleni and so, against Colombia, they were unable to do much of anything once more. We can only hope that these performances prompt Uruguay to take a new direction, perhaps turning attention to younger talents available.

Mexico let Miguel Herrera be Miguel Herrera
    The truth is Herrera's tactics doomed Mexico before Rafa Márquez fatefully clipped Arjen Robben's ankle, leading to a penalty and the Dutch going through to the semi-finals. Mexico had made it to the Round of 16 with just one goal conceded, and that was after they were up by three against Croatia. Aware of his side's defensive prowess - and Memo Ochoa's heroics between the sticks - the Mexico manager elected to not pursue a second goal. The strategy backfired. And while Herrera's choices at times left something to be considered, his touchline antics always provided comedy relief. Whether in the pouring rain or the blazing heat, there was Herrera, pogo-ing up and down and waving his arms like a madman - a madman clearly invested in the fate of his country.

Greece brought the funny
    Greece isn't a side to provoke the warm fuzzies in neutrals. They are dogged defenders and, when forced to attack, lack the creativity necessary to really bring a spark to the game. But they do have one major redeeming feature: there's a lot of material out there for jokesters to work with. Whether it's making quips about Sokratis, Aristotle and Plato walking into a bar, or creating a new Homeric odyssey, or even questioning the Greeks' geometric prowess, we're all grateful for the bounty of material this civilization provides.

Nigeria showcased the crucial runs of Ahmed Musa
    Now, Argentina haven't exactly looked frightening thus far - with the exception being, as always, that Messi guy - but it's still pretty astounding that this team of big names looked terrified by a 21-year-old who plies his trade in Russia. Yet every time Musa got the ball, Argentina just sort of stood floundered, looking unsure as to how to behave. This resulted in Musa grabbing the equalizer to answer each of Messi's go-ahead goals, forcing Argentina to rely on a winner from Marco Rojo.

Algeria demonstrated fearlessness, not recklessness
    The Fennec Foxes were timid in their first match against Belgium, sure. But a near-result from that game prompted Vahid Halilhodžić to adopt a much more attacking approach, one which led to the 4-2 victory over South Korea, one of the most enjoyable games of the group stages. With Algeria set to face Germany in the Round of 16, some believed Vaha would change his tactics. Not so. Despite going up against one of the sides tipped to win the tournament, Algeria refused to sit back, instead pressuring Germany and making almost everyone adore them in the process. Fortunately, this Algeria squad is rather young, so we should be seeing much more of them in the future.

Switzerland highlighted Xherdan Shaqiri
    In Switzerland's first match, against Ecuador, many wondered what all the fuss over Shaqiri was about. The Bayern Munich "winger" was rendered rather ineffectual out wide, but Omar Hitzfeld moved him to the center at the break. That's when we began to see glimpses of the 22-year-old's talent. Hitzfeld persisted in using him out wide again against France, but he shone centrally against Honduras, when he scored a hat-trick of impressive goals. He was also Switzerland's brightest player against Argentina, and they may have nicked the game had Josip Drmic not fluffed a divine pass from Shaqiri.
    Plus, it's always fun to say his name. Shaacheeeriiiiii

United States' spirit is encapsulated in a broken nose
    The U.S. made an impact right from the start, with Clint Dempsey scoring inside 30 seconds. But the attacker broke his nose in a collision with Ghana's John Boye, resulting in his playing the entire second half with a diminished capacity to, well, breathe. The U.S. went on to score a late winner, but it's Dempsey's nose that rather captures the spirit of this team. After Ghana's equalizer, after Germany's goal, even after Belgium's extra-time lead, in none of those situations did the USMNT look resigned to their fate. Instead they pushed aside any pain, both mental and physical, attempting to to get themselves back into the game.

What have the nations that left us, given us!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 9:19 pm