Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
Brian 2468
DD
Jaime
christmasborocooper
shazlx
Luis
Axeslammer
Pierre Littbarski
Antarion
ERIK LAMELA
110%
BoBo Vieri 32
Murray
debaser
Effenberg
Di Caniooooo!
mongrel hawk
The Chosen Glenn
Fey
Super Progress
Kimbo
25 posters

2014 World Cup - Group Stages

Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

2014 World Cup - Group Stages - Page 4 Empty Re: 2014 World Cup - Group Stages

Post by Kimbo Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:50 pm

110% wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:Would you rather have an elbow break your nose, or have an opponent slip his finger up your arse during a tussle in the box? One is probably more painful than the other, which would you rather?

That's the 2nd time you've asked about someone slipping a finger up your arse, is there something you want to tell us?

Anyway I've broken my nose more than 10 times, and I always lead with my elbow, only way to avoid getting hurt is to go harder than the other guy. So yes I'd prefer the elbow to the nose, I'd just break it back straight and carry on once the blood stopped.

The finger in the arse has happened in Rugby.

2014 World Cup - Group Stages - Page 4 Rugby_377334_2883084

It's only a matter of time until it comes to football, especially with people like Suarez and Muller about.

I would rather have the elbow aswell, even though it would be more painful, there are certain things that have always happened on a football pitch even if they are wrong. Someone hits you with an elbow, maybe he'll get sent off or maybe you'll get your own back, bites and fingers in arses should never be part of the equation.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:51 pm

Axeslammer wrote:Russia not going through will f#ck up my predictions, but Algeria are deserving it : best African country this WC....or should I say the only good team from Africa this WC ?

Had I realised Capello was Russia's manager I'd never predicted them to get out of the group.

They've picked him to build a team for 2018, not sure why. He seems to be preferring older players aswell.
    Fey
    Fey

Number of posts : 35349
    Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
    Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Fey Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:58 pm

Hahaha...Germany-Algeria..lucky!

Will Blut care about Algeria now, one has to wonder?

Clearly, Africa just have to send their N-African nations!!

2014 World Cup - Group Stages - Page 4 _56391259_hansenkids1
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
    Supports : Corinthians
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by mongrel hawk Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:59 pm

Algeria must pay back to them Germans.  Ale 
    110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:00 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    110% wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:Would you rather have an elbow break your nose, or have an opponent slip his finger up your arse during a tussle in the box? One is probably more painful than the other, which would you rather?

That's the 2nd time you've asked about someone slipping a finger up your arse, is there something you want to tell us?

Anyway I've broken my nose more than 10 times, and I always lead with my elbow, only way to avoid getting hurt is to go harder than the other guy. So yes I'd prefer the elbow to the nose, I'd just break it back straight and carry on once the blood stopped.

It's only a matter of time until it comes to football, especially with people like Suarez and Muller about.

I would rather have the elbow aswell, even though it would be more painful, there are certain things that have always happened on a football pitch even if they are wrong. Someone hits you with an elbow, maybe he'll get sent off or maybe you'll get your own back, bites and fingers in arses should never be part of the equation.

Should I be disturbed that you had that gif "at hand" as it were?
    Di Caniooooo!

Number of posts : 10829
    Supports : West Ham
    Favourite Player : Paolo Di Canio, Moore, Hurst, Peters
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Di Caniooooo! Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:15 pm

110% wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:
    110% wrote:

Should I be disturbed that you had that gif "at hand" as it were?

At his fingertips, he had it at his fingertips! Sounds better.
    DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC

Post by DD Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:25 am

shazlx wrote:
    Pierre Littbarski wrote:
    shazlx wrote:
    Luis wrote:Hmm so Suarez bites someone while on International duty in Brazil and we have to pay for it? Sounds fair.

He's an idiot and to be honest with you I'd happily sell him right now - it's got to a stage where he's a liability for the club but I can't see why we should have to pay for something he did with Uruguay.

Not only is he going to miss key games for us (again) but we won't be able to sell him either. Where's our compensation for that?
    Maybe if your club didn't defend him when he first acted up he might have learnt his lesson.

Anyway, I would recommend to all to read the ESPN article on Suarez which delves into his upbringing and tries to understand why he's the way he is. It's brilliant and doesn't defend him but still gives a genuine human angle to it all. If I were a Liverpool supporter I'd be quite inclined to support him (not defend him) after reading the article. It's a GREAT football/human story.

Was the ESPN article written in the last couple of days after the 3rd bite or is it this one ?

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/10984370/portrait-serial-winner-luis-suarez-soccer-most-beautiful-player

This is a brilliant article.
    This one.

One of the best football stories you'll read.
    Thanks for the link. A terrific article.

I read the original article that this one is refering to, but I can't find it anymore (it was quite good as well). There it was predicted he would/could bite again within five years since the last incident.
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28014468

Personally, I think his punishment is too harsh. I'm not defending him, but biting another person is clearly a lapse of judgement - a brain fart. He's hardwired that way to lash out in frustration - he needs psychiatric help more than a token multiple months punishment.
    Brian 2468

Number of posts : 1054
    Registration date : 2011-08-08

Post by Brian 2468 Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:18 am

He needs both the silly bugger. Very Happy 
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:28 am

I don't think it's too harsh. I don't think you can really say "that's too harsh! This guy is a psychopath, give him a break!".

His punishment is his punishment, if he needs psychological help to go with it then give him that too. If he needs that anyway he's a danger to the other players so shouldn't be allowed out there anyway.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:57 am

110% wrote:
    Pierre Littbarski wrote:He is a madman but if I had a choice of:

1. Being bitten hard enough to mark but not draw blood

2. Having someone spit in my face (on the cheek, would be different if it went in your mouth)

3. Being elbowed hard near one of my eyes or on my nose.

4. Someone going studs 1st on to my shin/ankle with force

I would take the 1 and 2 anyday over 3 and 4 yet the 3/4 seem worse to many - diving or pulling someone's shirt at a corner is probably considered worse thatn 3/4 in this country !!!

I kind of agree with you, but 3 and 4 are somehow seen as part of football, and things that can happen "during an honest challenge". Commentators always say thing like "you can't jump without using your elbow on someone's face for leverage", and  "you can see he was going for the ball" or "he's an honest player" right after someone gets their leg snapped in half.

You just can't say the same for biting or spitting. One other thing I would say is that his bite didn't change the game in any way, whereas a dive does, so is the biting even as bad as the diving he does?

You gotta take into account the humiliation suffered by a person who's bitten by another human being in front of hundreds of millions of people, including family and friends. It's like spitting on one's face. Fifa's decision was right IMO.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:01 am

Pierre Littbarski wrote: (on the cheek, would be different if it went in your mouth)

You'd be paying for the latter, I guess?

Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:41 am

lol! 

Another African team arguing over money, so that's 3/5 for the CAF.

http://www.kickoffnigeria.com/news/46082/nigeria-skip-training-over-appearance-fee
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:59 am

Another disappointing World Cup for Postman Pat, this time with Russia
    Antarion
    Antarion

Number of posts : 3382
    Supports : Germany, Bayern
    Favourite Player : Müller, Neuer and Schürrle
    Registration date : 2008-04-11

Post by Antarion Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:05 am

2014 World Cup - Group Stages - Page 4 Ayew10

Africans  bounce 
    abundance
    abundance

Number of posts : 1514
    Supports : FC Inter
    Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:08 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:You gotta take into account the humiliation suffered by a person who's bitten by another human being in front of hundreds of millions of people, including family and friends. It's like spitting on one's face. Fifa's decision was right IMO.
    Lol I think this is stretching it quite too far...
    ... maybe it's just me but I don't grasp how you could feel humiliated by a nutter going kindergarten on your shoulder.

DD wrote:Personally, I think his punishment is too harsh. I'm not defending him, but biting another person is clearly a lapse of judgement - a brain fart. He's hardwired that way to lash out in frustration - he needs psychiatric help more than a token multiple months punishment.
    And I'd keep it simpler.
    You play a pro sport where the rules say you can't do certain things on the field, among them a really silly and juvenile thing that almost nobody even think of doing.
    And you do that not once, not twice, but thrice.
    It's hilarious but hey, if you want so badly to be punished, here's your seat.

Ban is harsh but it's not like he's gonna starve if he stays out of a field for 4 months.
    Oh wait....
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:22 pm

Antarion wrote:2014 World Cup - Group Stages - Page 4 Ayew10

Africans  bounce 

lol! 
    DD
    DD

Number of posts : 10721
    Supports : NEC

Post by DD Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:49 pm

abundance wrote:
    DD wrote:Personally, I think his punishment is too harsh. I'm not defending him, but biting another person is clearly a lapse of judgement - a brain fart. He's hardwired that way to lash out in frustration - he needs psychiatric help more than a token multiple months punishment.
    And I'd keep it simpler.
    You play a pro sport where the rules say you can't do certain things on the field, among them a really silly and juvenile thing that almost nobody even think of doing.
    And you do that not once, not twice, but thrice.
    It's hilarious but hey, if you want so badly to be punished, here's your seat.
    Perhaps too simple.
    Everyone is in agreement that he should be punished. And he will. The punishment is what people will disagree over.
    You'll hear everything to from a one game ban to life-time banishment - both are laughable.
    I think that the four month ban is a token punishment for different reasons. Two months would have achieved the same and sent the same message: that it will not be tolerated.

Biting is not the choice of action for any reasonable grown-up. Biting on the pitch with a gazillion cameras and your name already in discredit as a cheater (and a two-time biter) is even worse. While biting brings any sport in discredit, the action and consequences are relatively innocuous compared to harsher offenses like stamping, elbows, two-footed tackles or going in studs-first. Many which are much cynical, solely intend on injuring the opponent and have shortened/ended many carreers already.

Biting (unless its solely to inflict major harm, like Tyson) is foremost a showing of unsportsmanship by lashing out. That's what Suarez is guilty of here. Unsportsmanship, not grave bodily harm or cheating.
    The rest of us, we learned from an early age that biting's not acceptable. Adults who bite as an action of frustration need to be re-hardwired, or they will relapse when majorly frustrated again.

I disagree with the easy "Hey if you wanted to be punished" mentality. Suarez didn't plan this ahead, and he definitely wouldn't think he would get away with biting. No one gets away with biting on the pitch. And it's not that he didn't gave a fuck. Suarez cares too much. And that's why he relapsed.
    Yesterday I jokingly said something like:"Haven't we all bitten someone in the heat moment on the pitch?". For us it's ridiculous, for Suarez it's a reality. He bites impulsively: He doesn't aim for ears, noses or fingers - he lashes out at shoulders and an upper arm. Nobody hates being (and known as) a biter more than Suarez. His shameful postgame interview:"These things happen" says it all.

I also disagree with over the top Draconian punishments. People who are clamouring for long bans are not thinking logically - and that's a lot of you. Suarez is easy to hate for many reasons, but there's a lot of self-rightiousness everywhere. I heard even Rio, who I was shocked to find out he has a cosy position in the FA now, is chipping with his troofs. I think this here will give a good reasoning why despite his England performances he should never open his mouth again on matters of respect and discredit http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2634265/Jimmy-Bullard-got-better-coaching-non-League-Fabio-Postman-Pat-Capello-England.html Lad culture is a-okay.

On to the token punishment by FIFA. While having someone bite on the world stage is not an advertisement for the game, this is FIFA's chance to puff their chest and show the world that they're the upholders of morals, ethics, decency and fairness  Laughing . Four months doesn't resolve anything, the offense gets punished too harshly, the message that biting is not allowed doesn't affect anyone who isn't an impulsive biter - who wouldnt be affected by this either, and Suarez still 'hasn't learned'. He needs an at max two months ban and most importantly, therapy.

If FIFA doesn't want a bad advertisement of the game, they should apply retroactive cards/bans, proper penalties given and eliminate diving/play-acting. That's bad advertisement for the game that happens multiple times every game.

EDIT: even though I'm quoting you Abundance, I'm referring to the mentality in general, not attacking you. Also, I'm aware that the majority of people think differently, and I'm not looking to convert those 'sticking by their guns'. Just giving my opinion on this matter. Hope it made some sense.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:24 pm

2014 World Cup - Group Stages - Page 4 GOLSEMCOPAS2-586x344

2014 World Cup - Group Stages - Page 4 Golsemcopas3-586x342

Highest WC attendances up to now:

2014 World Cup - Group Stages - Page 4 Medias

Fey
    Fey

Post by Fey Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:54 pm

2014 World Cup - Group Stages - Page 4 BrC9W9QIUAEqkeP
    Stats Ale
    Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1899

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:56 pm

Fey wrote:2014 World Cup - Group Stages - Page 4 BrC9W9QIUAEqkeP
    Stats Ale

Belo Horizonte

Sad 
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:39 pm

so Germany-Algeria (Porto Alegre) & Belgium-USA (Salvador) are the 2R games to watch for goals..
    Antarion
    Antarion

Number of posts : 3382
    Supports : Germany, Bayern
    Favourite Player : Müller, Neuer and Schürrle
    Registration date : 2008-04-11

Post by Antarion Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:45 pm

so which are the hot/wet climate ones? anyone make a correlation for blut?
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:21 pm

Antarion wrote:so which are the hot/wet climate ones? anyone make a correlation for blut?

According to the weather forecast (Salvador, Recife and Fortaleza are more humid):

Brazil - Chile

Belo Horizonte: 13-28 degrees (I guess it will be closer to 28 because of the time: 13h)

Uruguay - Colombia

Rio: 14-32

France - Nigeria

Brasília: 12-27

Germany - Algeria

Porto Alegre: 10-15

Holland - Mexico

Fortaleza: 24-31

Costa Rica - Greece

Recife: 22-28

Argentina - Switzerland

São Paulo: 12-21

Belgium - USA

Salvador: 19-28

Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:43 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:
    Antarion wrote:so which are the hot/wet climate ones? anyone make a correlation for blut?

According to the weather forecast (Salvador, Recife and Fortaleza are more humid):

Brazil - Chile

Belo Horizonte: 13-28 degrees (I guess it will be closer to 28 because of the time: 13h)

Uruguay - Colombia

France - Nigeria

Germany - Algeria

Holland - Mexico

Costa Rica - Greece

Argentina - Switzerland

Belgium - USA

Are there any more matches in Manaus?
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:48 pm

Jaime wrote:
    mongrel hawk wrote:

Brazil - Chile

Uruguay - Colombia

France - Nigeria

Germany - Algeria

Holland - Mexico

Costa Rica - Greece

Argentina - Switzerland

Belgium - USA

Are there any more matches in Manaus?

No. Manaus, Cuiabá and Natal are out. Curitiba, the coldest venue, is also out. It's not cold there yet, but last year it even snowed in Curitiba.

Porto Alegre and São Paulo are now the coldest. But it's still rather hot here in São Paulo.
    Fey
    Fey

Post by Fey Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Porto Alegre: 10-15...that could be our summer...
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:54 pm

IMO, Holland has the worst place to play. They will play at 30 degrees in a humid place against a very good team. A big dark horse is coming to trample on the Dutch!
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:56 pm

Fey wrote:Porto Alegre: 10-15...that could be our summer...

True. This is the beginning of the winter, and it's been rather hot. Porto Alegre reaches below 5 in the coldest days, but never reaches zero. Besides, Porto Alegre is at sea level. The cities on the Southern hills near Porto Alegre get under zero with snow.
    Fey
    Fey

Post by Fey Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:05 pm

2014 World Cup - Group Stages - Page 4 BrFpW6KCUAAZOE3

I hope we get some matches I've never seen in a Tourney, like Germany-France or Argentina-Brazil(I dont count olympics. Or Belgium-Argentina. Not that many big game classics possible though.
    mongrel hawk
    mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:18 pm

I've seen Brazil 0-1 Argentina in 1990. First and only time I cried because of Brazil. I was 10. (Later that year I would see Corinthians winning our first national title!)

And I was pleased like hell to see Germany beating Argentina in the final. hehe

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:16 am